Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3639305 - 05/14/17 10:09 PM Question about replacing PCM On 2010 Crown Vic
tradr Offline

Loc: Danbury, CT
I have a 2010 Ford Crown Vic PI which is throwing 6 codes in which all diagnostics point to the PCM itself rather than the O2 sensor banks, evap system, or a ground problem with the car.

If I buy a used PCM with the same code on the unit as which I have on my car 9W7A-BA or AW7A-12A650-FA (I imagine any AW7A-number-FA is the same?) would I need to have the unit reprogrammed or should this be plug and play?

I'm just worried about the keyless entry and ignition working if it's a smart ignition key, which I'm not sure if a CVPI has.

Thanks in advance for help.

2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Package Former NYSP

Links
#3639337 - 05/14/17 10:46 PM Re: Question about replacing PCM On 2010 Crown Vic [Re: tradr]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Be sure to get the same part number because of 80mm MAF specific to CVPI. Taxi Vics run 70mm. If PCM is not re-flashed, it will show a different VIN number which may be a problem for your State's emission test. Also, cruise control and axle ratio reside in the PCM. CC can be changed through IDS but axle ratio requires re-flash.
2004 CV LX Sport #1, 57,000 miles -- Never was
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
2005 CVPI Ex-San Diego P.D. -- 2 month loaner

Originally Posted By EZlivin11
I drove it like a rental car...WOOHOO!

#3639457 - 05/15/17 02:04 AM Re: Question about replacing PCM On 2010 Crown Vic [Re: tradr]
fordoldfart Offline
Climber

Loc: kansas
Exact same part number you will be just fine. Vin won't match. Not a big deal unless you have to emission test. At which time you can get it flashed.

#3641441 - 05/17/17 01:20 PM Re: Question about replacing PCM On 2010 Crown Vic [Re: tradr]
Lunchbox82 Offline
Rookie

Loc: North California
I had to buy a PCM on mine because of false transmission codes. I also bought one with the same computer number on the tag. The program that came with the new computer started and ran my car fine, but the ABS light came on and ABS wasn't working. After paying an additional 75 to the 375 I payed for the rebuilt computer he programmed the vin in it which I believe fixed the ABS light. Might have programmed something else though, he wasn't real clear on what he did other then saying he helped the computer communicate to the ABS. If you have the money I would try getting one from ford. Some of them only run a little bit more then what I payed for a rebuilt one.
2009 CVPI, Magnaflow cats and mufflers, Cut one coil on fronts and used 2 spring lox on each spring in back with 2" shorter KYB's. 4.10 Trac-Loc and Mo's tune. Mustang Fan Blade wheels with Yokohama tires. pic of my car. Next is SR Performance plenum, and charcoal grey seat covers (If I can find them in good shape?!).

#3641817 - 05/17/17 09:21 PM Re: Question about replacing PCM On 2010 Crown Vic [Re: tradr]
Bull Offline

Contract Cleaner
Over the Hill

Loc: Dayton Ohio
Originally Posted By tradr
I have a 2010 Ford Crown Vic PI which is throwing 6 codes in which all diagnostics point to the PCM itself rather than the O2 sensor banks, evap system, or a ground problem with the car.

If I buy a used PCM with the same code on the unit as which I have on my car 9W7A-BA or AW7A-12A650-FA (I imagine any AW7A-number-FA is the same?) would I need to have the unit reprogrammed or should this be plug and play?

I'm just worried about the keyless entry and ignition working if it's a smart ignition key, which I'm not sure if a CVPI has.

Thanks in advance for help.

I have a PCM for a 2010, 3.27 gears, CC, P71, PM me if that will be any help to you.

#3642921 - 05/19/17 02:44 PM Re: Question about replacing PCM On 2010 Crown Vic [Re: tradr]
tradr Offline

Loc: Danbury, CT
I was lucky to find a PCM on eBay with the same exact model numbers for $60 which was a great deal as it seemed to be one of the more costly codes, however just like Lunchbox the ABS light came on, although the car otherwise seems fine.

I am going to drive it for a week or so and see if the original false CEL codes come back, if they don't I will go to the dealership and have them flash it to my VIN # since I have to get emissions done within the next few weeks anyhow, and hopefully that will clear up the ABS light also.

Thanks for your help everyone!

2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Package Former NYSP

Moderator:  BigMerc96, Chevyguy, KayTar, Liquid 
Google!
Who's Online
2 registered (juzza, Sunfish), 243 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
BigMerc96 142
a_d_a_m 139
dpk 129
Ponyguy 91
Moby_Vic 81
charlieD 79
RF_Overlord 70
SocalSam 65
Bellwestern80 53
EZlivin11 52
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!