Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3642409 - 05/18/17 01:38 PM fluid slosh transmission troubles?
Veikra Offline
Rookie

Loc: Kanadia
Hi,

I have a 2005 crown vic with 4r70 transmission with 335 000 km.
Ever since I got it, it has a transmission bug but im able to work around it since then

Now I decided to investigate it. The trouble is a neutral delay between either the 3 and 2 or 2 and 1. Im not sure which one.

There is no problem up shifting. The problem occur when turning only and then accelerating. Seems to me it goes to downshift and theres no oil to do so. THen the car stabilise after a second and the transmission shift perfectly.

What Ive done so far:
I dropped the pan and replaced all the springs and the piston that is accessible without removing the valve body. The piston is located on the front and driver side of the transmission oil pan.

The transmission never ever slipped ON a gear. It goes in neutral and it's obvious when it gets back in gear. The shifts are always firm, just like any police crown (firmer than the civilian though)

I can sometime do the same bug doing an american stop. It looks weirdly like a fluid starvation, but I found no broken srping or dropped filter in the pan.

a replacment is 900$, rebuilt unit, around here

2005 Crown Victoria P71. 3.27 Trac-lok 310 000Km "Peelpaint Special" http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2544426#Post2544426

Links
#3642441 - 05/18/17 03:07 PM Re: fluid slosh transmission troubles? [Re: Veikra]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: North Georgia
clean the throttle body AND maf sensor, then perform a DBW Throttle Calibration

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.

1) turn the key in the ON position (don't start the engine)
2) press the gas pedal down slowly all the way down
3) let go of the gas pedal fast so it come back up
4) turn key into the OFF position
repeat steps 1-4 two more times then start engine.

Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Georgia-Transmission-Auto-Repair/348414635312478

#3642929 - 05/19/17 03:07 PM Re: fluid slosh transmission troubles? [Re: Veikra]
Veikra Offline
Rookie

Loc: Kanadia
TL:DR version; the transmission hangs in neutral during a downshift, and downshift ONLY.

throttle response is perfect, transmission just goes neutral. My engine rev in neutral until the transmission shift.

the engine works as expected, the transmission is in trouble. I have to be carefull in that delay because if i give it gaz it will rev to 4000 easy and shift like a neutral drop, chirping tires.

2005 Crown Victoria P71. 3.27 Trac-lok 310 000Km "Peelpaint Special" http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2544426#Post2544426

Moderator:  BigMerc96, Chevyguy, KayTar, Liquid 
Google!
Who's Online
2 registered (juzza, Sunfish), 243 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
BigMerc96 142
a_d_a_m 139
dpk 129
Ponyguy 91
Moby_Vic 81
charlieD 79
RF_Overlord 70
SocalSam 65
Bellwestern80 53
EZlivin11 52
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!