Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#64011 - 01/12/03 11:23 AM STEERING--How to adjust the Steering Box???
P71_Interceptor Offline
Poobah

Loc: TROY, OHIO
How to adjust the Steering Box when it's mounted in the vehicle ???

I have the procedure here in the Haynes manual, but it only gives the adjustment while the Steering box is on the bench.

The problem is, the manual states to appy 4-8lbs of torque TO the Steering gear. This is OBVIOUSLY NOT possible to gauge while the Box is mounted.

I'll back up a bit and post the adjustment procedure from the Haynes manual. Keep in mind this is WHILE the box is on a work bench held by a vice.

Quote:

14. With the gear on center and the sector shaft adjuster backed-off, measure the turning torque. Adjust the sector shaft screw so that the preload is 4 to 8 lbf in excess of the figure previously obtained. Readings should be made through an arc not exceeding 20 degrees with the gear on center.

15. Tighten the sector shaft adjuster screw locknut to a torque of 30-35lbf.

So how is this done while the box is in the car ??

Edited by Liquid (01/13/04 07:49 AM)

#64012 - 01/12/03 03:54 PM Re: How to adjust the Steering Box (when mounted) ???
lifespeed Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: northern California
You make the adjustment with the steering wheel serving as your torque wrench.

Translated, what the Haynes manual says is: "back off on the sector gear preload until it is free, then gradually snug it down until you just start to feel the resistance turning the steering wheel."

A new Ford "reman" box is priced at a shade over $300. If your box is worn, an adjustment won't fix it. May be worth replacing, that's what I did. I have actually adjusted steering boxes. If you have little wear, you can get away with an adjust.

Trouble is, you can't feel this subtle increase in steering shaft torque indicating correct preload with the suspension connected. You have to disconnect the pitman arm from the centerlink.

Edited by lifespeed (01/12/03 03:56 PM)

2004 Silver Birch Marauder
Wilwood F/R brakes, Penske shocks, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust

#64013 - 01/13/03 01:00 PM Re: How to adjust the Steering Box (when mounted) ???
P71Cruiser Offline
Climber

Loc: Wisconsin
I have only adjusted a handful of gearboxes, but was always told that most wear on the gear is where the steering is at most of the time which is in the center position. When you tighten the adjuster, you mesh the gears in the shallow spot. If you leave it this way you run the risk of it binding when you turn the wheels and possibly cracking and ruining your gearbox. Either adjust the gearbox with the wheels turned to one side or after adjusting the center with the front wheels off the ground and turning the wheels WITHOUT the engine running and feel for any binding. 4-8 ft-lbs isn't much just lightly snug it up. Imagine your hand as a torque wrench, and tighten up the jam nut sufficiently. I'm sure I'll get some feedback on this, but the mechanics I've worked with don't use a torque wrench for everything even those there is a value (torque) for everything. In areas that aren't accesible with a torque wrench and an extension effects the true torque value, what else you gonna do- an experienced tighten of the fastener is about it.

#64014 - 01/13/03 03:21 PM Re: How to adjust the Steering Box (when mounted) ???
Mr_pogo Offline
Over the Hill

On worm and sector or recirculating ball boxes, the center of travel is designed to be the tightest and the position where you adjust at. Centering the steering wheel is not always the center of travel of the steering box. You have to turn wheel lock to lock and find the center of travel, then adjust. If worm is worn enough in the center of travel then you can run into binding when its turned offcenter.
I usually jack front wheels up and turn steering wheel with engine off to check for binding, adjusted my 92s box with no probs this way.

Moderator:  Liquid 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
6 registered (MyGrandMarquis, mrbelvedere, DudeAbides, torotoro, Bellwestern80, P_Weston), 68 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Moby_Vic 216
BigMerc96 161
ponyguy 149
Ezbok58a 136
Benno 126
road_pizza 120
73vwTodd 109
a_d_a_m 105
JeffBoudah 95
BlackVic_P71 93
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!