Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#77756 - 02/16/03 05:38 AM REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
STV Offline

HOW MUCH WIDER IS THE REAR END FROM A 1995 CROWN VIC COMPARED TO MINE(1987 CV) AND WOULD IT BE STRONGER, WHATS THE SPLINE COUNT ON THE AXLES. A FRIEND HAS ONE AND I MIGHT BUY IT AS LONG AS ITS NOT WEAKER THAN THE ORIGINAL 8.8 , ALL I WANT IT FOR IS THE REAR DISCS LOOK, I KNOW IT WONT BOLT UP BUT IM THINKING ABOUT PUTTING IN A FOUR LINK SUSPENSION. IF ITS WIDER WHICH I THINK IT IS, ITLL LET ME PUT ALITTLE WIDER RIMS THAN THE ONES IM RUNNING NOW. ANY INFO HELPFUL.

#77757 - 02/16/03 06:26 AM Re: REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
borgwarriormoose Offline
Rookie

A wider rear end will not allow any wider tires than what you can fit into the wheelwells, which with what I have worked on, with the sedans, a 9 inch wide wheel is about all you need, and with a wagon, I had a pair of 12-inch wide weld draglites bolted on( a friend had set with close to the proper offset) for a look to see how they would fit, they fit great, but needed a bit of outer fender lip tweaking. Skip the rear disc brakes, and save your cash, the rear drums will provide all of the stopping power you can handle, any more braking power would be wasted motion. The Crown Vic has a Mustang fox body style rear suspension, and also has the Mustangs poor rear suspension geometry. What happens, under hard braking, the rear end tries to rotate forward, and in doing so, pitches the rear of the car into the air, unloading the rear tires, and causing a skid(most might think it is nose dive). Better shocks calm it down a small bit, but not very much. I am working on a rear suspension setup that will stop this, and use already available parts, and let you be able to put more brake on the rear of the car.
You will also need to switch the master cylinder and proportioning valve to a disc unit, and retrofit a newer unit onto your car.

#77758 - 02/16/03 08:22 AM Re: REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
STV Offline

I KNOW THE DRUMS HAVE MORE SUFACE AREA AND ARE BETTER FOR STOPPING, I JUST WANT THE REAR DISC LOOK. AS FOR THE SUSPENSION IM THINKING OF HAVING AN ADJUSTABLE FOR LINK PUT IN, WHILE STILL BEING ABLE TO USE THE ORIGINAL SHOCKS AND SPRINGS. OF COURSE ILL ALSO HAVE TO USE AND PANHAND BAR TOO. ALL THIS STUFF IS AVAILABLE FROM SUMMIT AT REASONALBE PRICES.

#77759 - 02/16/03 09:02 AM Re: REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
1987LTDmasta Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL.
its a bolt-on.. the rearend is not wider by any means because the wheel offset has been the same from 1979 until 2002. however dont think the rearend on a '98 will work.. the trailing arms are different on those, so only '92-97s work

1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX (1999-2011)
5.0 liter EFI High Output
Police Package suspension
Current:
'67 Mustang coupe

#77760 - 02/16/03 09:26 AM Re: REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
Fairmont_Kevin Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Sarasota, FL
I know 90-91 rears are about 3" wider than 79-89. USLYDAWG tried to use axles out of an 89 in his 90 and couldn't.

I don't know anything about the newer ones, but all 28-spline 8.8s are the same strength.

kevin
None of you cheap bastards would give me $800 for it so I gave it away!!! - 89 Grand Marquis w/87 HO motor. Needs trans work. 3.55 trac-lock, Mustang headers and H-pipe, HO governor and servo in AOD, custom duals, no smog pump, cop rear sway bar, rear discs, 2000 Grand Marquis wheels. 15.8 @ 87 in the 1/4 mi. For pics, see http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car_truck_motorcycl/mercury/

#77761 - 02/16/03 11:24 AM Re: REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
dcooley Offline
Over the Hill

In order to use rear disc brakes and not kill yourself, you also need a different master cylinder and proportioning valve meant for a 4 wheel disc brake CV...
the rears are all 8.8" even in 2003, and are all 28 spline axles.
180 thermostat, Crane Powermax 2030 roller cam
Mopar Performance 1.6 Roller rockers
Mopar Performance M1 single plane intake
Carsound dual 2 1/4" in, single 3" out converter,
3" Magnaflow Muffler with 3" mandrel bent tailpipe
4.56 gears with Trac Loc
SMR shift kit
92 Harley Lowrider Convertible 95.4 RWHP!!!!!
1984 Glasport 17.5ft V hull with Johnson 90HP V4
Wiseco Pistons, Dual 2bbl carbs

#77762 - 02/16/03 11:39 AM Re: REAR END QUESTION. SPLINE COUNT + WIDTH.???
SVT87 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Orange County, CA
I'm going to be doing a '92-'95 rear axle swap later in the spring. I haven't heard anything about different widths, and it wouldn't make sense that they would make the axle wider. Even if it is wider, it just means that the rear wheels would just stick out more right? In case anybody is wondering why I'm doing it, I'm going to be getting some 17x9 5-spoke wheels, and they'd look godawful stupid with drum brakes.

At the time I'll also be replacing the master cylinder, possibly all of the brake lines, doing a '98+ front brake conversion, Getting N-code springs for the front, Bilstein HD's on all four corners. Before I install the axle I'm going to rebuild it and install a new T-Lock and 3.73 gears. This will probably all be done in May when it's warmer out.

Edited by SVT87 (02/16/03 11:42 AM)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!