Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#814785 - 11/11/05 10:01 AM Power Seat wiring harnesses?
metroplex Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: Motor City, USA
I was trying to disable the seat belt switch (to perma-disable the beltminder) and found a bunch of unconnected harnesses below my seat.

The wiring led to somewhere underneath the carpeting.

Is this a provision for a driver power seat?

Links
#814786 - 11/11/05 10:21 AM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
tbug Offline
Poobah

Loc: Michigan
I'm pretty sure it is.
Crown Victoria
1994, 1998

#814787 - 11/11/05 06:12 PM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
DaBigBR Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Iowa
IIRC, all panthers come prewired for power seats (at least on the driver's side). I found this in my 2000 PI, and I would guess they do it as a cost saving measure, i.e. it's easier to wire every car for it then to pick and choose...kinda like cruise control.
-Deep Wedgewood Blue Clearcoat Metallic
-All cloth and carpet, no holes anywhere.
-Motorola Spectra 800MHz Smartnet (C7)

#814788 - 11/18/05 04:14 AM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
Captain J Offline
Over the Hill

So the harness is there in my 2000 PI as well so dose that mean I can just buy a power seat, plug it in, and it will work?

Joe
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI&feature=related
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk

#814789 - 11/18/05 02:05 PM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
DaBigBR Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Iowa
Yes, assuming that you have a way to control the seats. If it were me, I would not settle for seats w/o controls mounted on the seat, I would imagine that adding them to the door would be a PITA.

On your 2000, I think only the driver's side will be powered, but it is not that difficult if you get a power passenger's seat to figure out how to make it work.
-Deep Wedgewood Blue Clearcoat Metallic
-All cloth and carpet, no holes anywhere.
-Motorola Spectra 800MHz Smartnet (C7)

#814790 - 11/18/05 09:38 PM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Quote:

Power Seats: 1995+ P71 and P73 models have a 6-way power adjustable drivers avaliable as optional equipment. Adjustment options include front seat height up/down, rear seat height up/down, and seat position forward/backwards. Controls for the seat are mounted on the seat itself. 1995+ P74 models and 2003 police models are avaliable with 8-way power seats, in addition to the 6-way power features there is also a motor to control the recline position of the seatback. Seat controls are mounted on the door. To add power seats to a car not currently equipped, one needs the seat tracks, wiring and switches. A note about the wiring: On 1995+ vics, the power wire for the 6-way power drivers seat (black with small white stripe) is on the same connector as the seatbelt buckle sensor wire. Adding a 6-way power seat to a 1995+ vic is "plug and play" if you've got the tracks, switch and jumper harness. On topic of 8-way power seats, the wiring for the seats in the door and under the carpet is contained inside the 14a005 body harness. This harness also contains wiring for the power windows, locks, keyless entry system, variable assist steering and rear air suspension. If you've got the factory keyless entry system in your car, then there is a high probability that your car is prewired for 8way power seats. And if you've got rear air suspension (i.e. hpp crownvic), the odds of having the 8way power seat wiring in place increase even more. Similarly, if you've got an 8-way power drivers seat, you're chances of having the 8-way wiring in place for the passengers seat are extremely high. But if you've got a 95-02 police cruiser, your odds of having the 8way seat wiring factory installed are close to zero percent. 1992-1994 crown vics were also avaliable with 8-way power seats, but the controls were mounted on the side of the seat not on the door. Note that you do not gain any new functionality per say if changing from 6-way to 8-way power seats, the manual lever for the recline is replaced with an electric motor so instead of pulling a lever on the seat while leaning backwards, you push a switch. But having an electrically adjustable backrest does increase the number of positions that it can be set to because the manual backrest recliner only clicks into a certian number of pre-set slots while the electric one is infinetly adjustable.

From 2vmodular's site

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#814791 - 12/27/05 06:20 PM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
P71CNG Offline
Stranger

I read this thread and went to 2vmodular's site.... awesome info there by the way. I got some '99 Grand Marquis leather seats and the door panels with mounted switches in the doors. I need to find out how to wire themm up to my '98PI, which has only two wires coming out of the carpet. Do you guys know how to figure out what jumper wire harness I need to buy to make this work. I hop e I don;t have to make a custom harness... that is a real PITA. Thanks in advance for any help... my dealership has not been any help by the way.

#814792 - 12/27/05 09:08 PM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Not suprised

I would jsut make it, can't be too hard...

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#814793 - 01/14/06 05:14 PM Re: Power Seat wiring harnesses?
Steve83 Offline

Poobah

Loc: Memphis, TN 38060, USA, Earth,...
I just pulled a '93 seat with full controls on the base & power recline, but drock's quote from 2vm indicates this should only be on '95-up. I've already stripped the (whorehouse red) upholstery.

Anybody need a red driver's seat cover? I even washed it!

. . .

Who's Online
1 registered (TheShadow), 66 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!