Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | links | news | email login | chat Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#818725 - 11/18/05 08:15 PM Anyway to unlock steering column without key?
Tiggie Offline
Climber

Loc: Moneta, VA
Well, Boxes are addictive. I just bought an '87 today to go with my '82 I got in May. LOOOOAAAADDDED! Got it for $300, including towing and title.

The car didn't come with keys and I'd like to be able to steer it, and start it for that matter. I think I could get around the starting problem, but the steering wheel will still be locked.

Are there any alternatives to unlocking the steering wheel besides pulling the ignition switch out with a dent puller? I got into the trunk using an '87 T-bird key, but I have tried all the Ford keys I have and none of them work the ignition. I got about 15 more in the family, i'm going to try them whenever I can get my hands on them. Anyone got any ideas?

#818726 - 11/19/05 07:52 AM Re: Anyway to unlock steering column without key?
Cougrrcj Offline
All Panther, all the time!!!
Over the Hill

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Pull the steering wheel, then jam the locking pawl down (wedge it in place), then replace the wheel. OR while you're in there, drill out the ignition lock pin and replace the lock.

89 Crown Vic LX - daily driver - 393 stroker/ WR-AOD!!! New Best ET - 13.068 Best MPH - 106.58, Best 60' - 1.86

#818727 - 11/19/05 09:34 AM Re: Anyway to unlock steering column without key?
Fairmont_Kevin Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Sarasota, FL
Get real friendly with a locksmith. They have huge rings of keys containing every possibile combination. Borrow it, try them all, then ask him to make you the right key.

If the borrowing thing doesn't work out, pay him to do it.
None of you cheap bastards would give me $800 for it so I gave it away!!! - 89 Grand Marquis w/87 HO motor. Needs trans work. 3.55 trac-lock, Mustang headers and H-pipe, HO governor and servo in AOD, custom duals, no smog pump, cop rear sway bar, rear discs, 2000 Grand Marquis wheels. 15.8 @ 87 in the 1/4 mi. For pics, see http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car_truck_motorcycl/mercury/

#818728 - 11/19/05 05:34 PM Re: Anyway to unlock steering column without key?
Tiggie Offline
Climber

Loc: Moneta, VA
Well since I didn't have the time to befriend a locksmith, and I'm too tight to pay one, I decided to do some drilling. I first drilled the pin and tried to pull the switch out. No luck. I actually broke the end off the switch trying to pry it out. I said well. Now that sucks. I took a drill and just started drilling the tumblers and cylinder. About 5 minutes later, the switch, or what was left of it, fell out and I could move the switch activator freely. Steering was unlocked as well as the shifter. And yup, it runs decent(it's got a miss, I'll check that out tomorrow), and the tranny shifts firmly. Yes, it looks like I'll be getting second gear in my good Vic.

#818729 - 11/19/05 10:45 PM Re: Anyway to unlock steering column without key?
Pooka Offline
n00b

For future reference:

Disconnet the battery.

Remove the steering wheel and all the plastic covers. Be careful with the "ring" cover if you have a tilt wheel. In fact, it really can stay on the car as removing it will not help.

Drill out the lock tumblers. Careful here; don't drill too deep.

Grab the chrome part of the lock (the part you twist) with a pair of pliers and turn like you are starting the car. Put the lock in the run position.

Push in the locking pin. Refer to a manual for its' location.

Pull the lock mech. out and disconnect the wire from the loom.

Install a new lock as the lock cannot be repaired.

If your gear indicatior is not lining up with the PRNDL as it shoud this is an excellent time to adjust it. This has nothing to do with the lock, but it is tough to get at except when all the covers are removed.

Pooka

#818730 - 11/26/05 01:22 AM Re: Anyway to unlock steering column without key?
BoxMan Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Millville, PA

Moderator:  88grandmarq, MAFpilot 
Who's in Chat??
Google!
Who's Online
3 registered (martz0r, JTW, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ezbok58a 204
BigMerc96 174
road_pizza 153
Alex07 140
BigNSlow 138
124neta 134
aknox077 126
ponyguy 126
a_d_a_m 102
2004_p71 95
Featured Member

Copyright 2000-2013 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!