Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#841802 - 12/27/05 07:38 PM Aftermarket Radio Installation
Aerobird88 Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I have replaced many radios, but never have I had as much trouble as I have had working with the setup on my vic. I am trying to put an aftermarket radio in my car that I got for Christmas. It's a nice Pioneer CD player.

I have premium sound in my vic. The stock system works perfectly (After all this aggravation I am asking myself why I am even messing with it). I tried to read up on everything, and I have the vacuum and electrical book for my vic (it's an 89) so I tried to read up on everything so I could get it hooked up right the first time. When I went to the store, I got my install kit, which works fine, a wiring harness which was supposed to be for my year Vic, but I had to modify the wiring to get it correct, and then it also said since I had premium sound I needed an interface kit.

I get power to the radio just fine, everything turns on OK, but at first I had no sound at all. Once I added the interface kit, I get sound only out of the back speakers, and I have to turn the volume way up to get it to a normal level. The fade/balance settings on the radio are correct. If I put the stock radio back in, it works perfectly so the AMP is OK.

If anyone has replaced their stereo and can help please let me know!! Thanks so much, and happy new year everyone!

-Michael

#841803 - 12/27/05 08:26 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
JeffBoudah Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Holland,MI
Two words... Common Ground. Just bypass that amp (your new deck makes more power) with all new wiring from the deck and you will be happy!

#841804 - 12/27/05 09:17 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
Enigma Offline
Climber

Like he said. Ignore all the existing. It's alot easier, and faster to just run all new wiring. Plus, you'll have a thicker gauge speaker wire for future amp upgrades. That's what I did with mine, and it kicks a$$.

1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0l: Daily Ride.
1984 F-250 4.9l: Emergency backup.
1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0l: Toy #2.
1989 Ranger Pickup 2.9l: For Sale.

#841805 - 12/28/05 12:53 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
AOD Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Asheville, North Carolina
Did you buy the little box that converts the new receiver signal back to a preamp signal? I think I have one extra in my garage, it's needed to use the stock amplifier with 6 speakers, unless you want to rewire like everyone else said.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria - Faster than the Sig Police!
302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar Cables, B&M Torq Master Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe, Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, 2.5" Side-Exit Exhaust, Police Shocks, Cut PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" Sport Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Tires, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff
'15 Ford Taurus SHO '02 Jeep Liberty '95 Mazda Miata MX-5 '82 Honda MB5 Motorcycle

#841806 - 12/29/05 12:54 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
1987LTDmasta Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL.
a complete re-wire isnt nnecessary, but yu can by-pass the factory amp with a bit of re-wiring at the amp, and running 3 new wires.

actually i forgot what i did, but i used to have premium audio, and now i dont, but am using all 6 speakers.

1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX (1999-2011)
5.0 liter EFI High Output
Police Package suspension
Current:
'67 Mustang coupe

#841807 - 12/29/05 10:05 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
Aerobird88 Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I did purchase a box for about 20 dollars that was supposed to help me convert the signal to be compatible with the factory amp. Before I had the box, I had no sound at all. Now with the box I have only the rear speakers. I am thinking that bypassing the amp is the way to go as well. What re-wiring do I need to do back there? I know the amp is in the trunk, and if I am reading my wiring diagrams right, all of the speaker wires go back to the amp before going out to the speakers. Do I have to run all new wires from the radio or can I just rig up something at the amp to connect the speakers straight in? Crutchfield sells something that says it is an amp bypass harness. Anyone ever used anything like that?

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Happy New Year to all!

#841808 - 12/29/05 10:15 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
AOD Offline

Grand Poobah

Got a link to the amp bypass thing? I wonder if it's just the box that converts the signal...

The Ford wire colors are pretty confusing, so I wonder if you have something backwards. I think the first time I hooked mine up, I had the fronts and rears reversed or something, so it took me a few times to get it right.

I did scan up the wire diagrams for the stereo systems, http://www.crownvicmuscle.com/CV_diagrams/Wire_diagrams/ it might be helpful in determining the problem.

I remember the Crutchfield kit I had told me what the original Ford colors meant, so I could eventually figure it out.

If Epi ever did a write up on how to bypass the amp, that'd be helpful too.

~Adam

302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar Cables, B&M Torq Master Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe, Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, 2.5" Side-Exit Exhaust, Police Shocks, Cut PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" Sport Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Tires, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff
'15 Ford Taurus SHO '02 Jeep Liberty '95 Mazda Miata MX-5 '82 Honda MB5 Motorcycle

#841809 - 01/06/06 12:20 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
1987LTDmasta Offline

Grand Poobah

Quote:

If Epi ever did a write up on how to bypass the amp, that'd be helpful too.

~Adam

lol

remember the V connection? i had a complete write-up on it..

i'm going to see if i still got it written down somewhere.

if not, i'll look up the diagrams and re-write it.

Current:
'67 Mustang coupe

#841810 - 01/06/06 10:17 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
Phil Rohtla Offline

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you buy a harness for aftermarket decks that costs $10 at Wal Mart, and takes care of all of these problems, including bypassing the amp? I know you could for Thunderbirds with premium sound......
Dad's wagon -- 88 Country Squire with Canadian only tow package. 351 cubic inches of carbureted joy, dual exhaust, vinyl and tweed inside, blue and rust outside (but we'll work on the rust thing....). Hauls anything but ass!

"Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future"

"Never do anything you couldn't picture John Wayne doing. He never lied, he never stole, he never backed down, and he sure as hell wouldn't have driven a Saturn."

#841811 - 01/06/06 02:45 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
AOD Offline

Grand Poobah

Can someone confirm at Wal-Mart? That'd be ideal.

Epi, if you can find you post or write-up from the V-connection on how to bypass the am, that'd be great. I will host it on the CVM site for you.

~Adam

#841812 - 01/07/06 10:04 AM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
1987LTDmasta Offline

Grand Poobah

Quote:

Can someone confirm at Wal-Mart? That'd be ideal.

Epi, if you can find you post or write-up from the V-connection on how to bypass the am, that'd be great. I will host it on the CVM site for you.

~Adam

i'd prolly host it on LTDmasta.com.. but i dug through my old computer and copied all these folders onto a CD... now i can look later today on my new PC..

and yes finally i got a new PC! the dell you hooked me up with began to really slow down, and got infested with adware i couldnt remove.

Current:
'67 Mustang coupe

#841813 - 01/07/06 06:25 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
moneypit Offline
Over the Hill

Reformat!

www.ventureonline.org
Give us money!!!

#841814 - 01/07/06 09:34 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
AOD Offline

Grand Poobah

Wow, that Dell (it wasn't really even a Dell anymore...just the case!) was like 5.5 years old! Some of those components are from 1999!

That's the longest lasting system I've ever built. You still have the parts Epi?

~Adam

#841815 - 01/08/06 03:11 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
85crownHPP* Offline
Poobah

Loc: central VA
easy fix - run new wiring. problem solved.

85HPP's mods:
CFI to SEFI conversion w/ HO upperstuff - headers & flowmasters - p71 airbox - Towncar seats - LED dash light-show - center gauge console - LED 3rd brake light - 3G alternator - mini starter - washer/coolant bottle upgrade - Towncar power trunk pull - underhood fuse/relay box - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - painted HPP wheels - 600W RMS Alpine driven 10-speaker stereo

#841816 - 01/08/06 09:03 PM Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation
1987LTDmasta Offline

Grand Poobah

Quote:

Wow, that Dell (it wasn't really even a Dell anymore...just the case!) was like 5.5 years old! Some of those components are from 1999!

That's the longest lasting system I've ever built. You still have the parts Epi?

~Adam

i still have the original video card & hard drive it came with. remember later on you sold me another video card with the giant heatsink, yeah its still in there.

about a year and a half ago, i dismantled the entire unit, cleaned it and put it back together. i kept having an issue with movement.. if i tapped it, it would freeze.

anyway i coped the files last night, and no-go. i lost the write up. all i can find is the color codes.

BTW anyone have a legal copy of windows XP? as soon as i'm done with the file copying, i'm gonna format the HD and start from scratch.

Current:
'67 Mustang coupe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
2 registered (BlackNFast, MedicMutt), 81 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!