Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3516050 - 01/20/17 12:15 AM Brake light switch not engaging with pedal
2008bluesmobile Offline
Rookie

Loc: USA
My brake lights suddenly stopped working, and through the help of mdnos, I was able to determine that my lights work fine but it's the switch not engaging when the brake is depressed. I've been trying to figure out what's going on, as it doesn't look like anything is broken up there (hard to tell though, and cramped), but it looks like things may not be aligned properly. I was hoping someone might recognize the issue from my pictures and know a quick solution, as it seems like there should be one but I can't put it together.

I'm pretty sure this white plastic thing is misaligned and the culprit, but I can't figure out what it does and how to correct it:

It moves around 360 degrees currently, here's a clearer photo showing it:

Thanks in advance

Former Lincolnton, NC PD Car #11
AKA "The Conglomerate" - many Panthers living on in the body of one
- Mods: power driver's seat, cruise control, LED spotlight, stock CD radio upgrade, more to come
- Rear seat from a Spanish Fort, AL cruiser; header panel from an Okeechobee County, FL sheriff's car; power seat, console, wheel covers, trunk insert, etc. from Massachusetts State Police cars; rear view mirror from a Grand Marquis; seat buckle from a Town Car = good old Ford interchangeability

2009 P71, 144k miles, $500 special (best car deal I've ever/will ever get)

2001 P71, 147k miles, another $500 special. Ex-Ringwood, NJ PD then FD, still fully marked and loaded. (RIP, saved all the goodies off it before I had to scrap it)

Other vehicles I can't list without realizing my own insanity

Links
#3516193 - 01/20/17 07:08 AM Re: Brake light switch not engaging with pedal [Re: 2008bluesmobile]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Pretty sure that white plastic thing has nothing to do with the BOO switch. It's a support for that wire bundle. Someone undid the tape on the bundle that would normally have been wrapped over it...
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#3516321 - 01/20/17 10:23 AM Re: Brake light switch not engaging with pedal [Re: 2008bluesmobile]
2008bluesmobile Offline
Rookie

Loc: USA
I just taped the entire bottom of the switch by the wiring to my brake pedal.. I know that can't be right but it seems to be working for now.

Former Lincolnton, NC PD Car #11
AKA "The Conglomerate" - many Panthers living on in the body of one
- Mods: power driver's seat, cruise control, LED spotlight, stock CD radio upgrade, more to come
- Rear seat from a Spanish Fort, AL cruiser; header panel from an Okeechobee County, FL sheriff's car; power seat, console, wheel covers, trunk insert, etc. from Massachusetts State Police cars; rear view mirror from a Grand Marquis; seat buckle from a Town Car = good old Ford interchangeability

2009 P71, 144k miles, $500 special (best car deal I've ever/will ever get)

2001 P71, 147k miles, another $500 special. Ex-Ringwood, NJ PD then FD, still fully marked and loaded. (RIP, saved all the goodies off it before I had to scrap it)

Other vehicles I can't list without realizing my own insanity

#3516705 - 01/20/17 03:07 PM Re: Brake light switch not engaging with pedal [Re: 2008bluesmobile]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Unplug it and shoot some electrical contact cleaner (MAF cleaner will also do) and make sure the contacts aren't burnt or corroded. Plug it on and off a couple of times and be sure it's fully seated. It might also just be a bad switch.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!