Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#3741314 - 09/22/17 04:59 PM LED Backup Lights Come on with Brake Lights
Slot_Car Offline
n00b

Loc: Maryland
I just got these JDM Astar LED backup bulbs because they were recommended as a good brand. They are nice and very bright when backing up, which is exactly what I wanted. All the reviews on Amazon were also very good, so I thought I would be okay.

But they light up every time the brake lights come on, which is certainly not desirable and is likely not street legal.

Is there a way to fix this or do I try to return them and get other LED backup bulbs that other CV.net users have tried and tested that they work properly?

I also noticed that they were very hot when I removed them, making me think that I should not only get lower wattage bulbs but also maybe shorter ones so they are not so close to the plastic lens if they do get hot. These barely fit and are very, very close to the lens.
- 18" Mustang Foundry Wheels
- 235/50ZR-18 Front & 245/55ZR-18 Rear Continental ExtremeContact Tires

Links
#3741954 - 09/23/17 03:08 PM Re: LED Backup Lights Come on with Brake Lights [Re: Slot_Car]
P_Weston Offline

Cynical Bastard
Poobah

Loc: Reno, Nevada
The previous bulbs you pulled out before installing these leds didn't do the same thing? They should be on totally separate circuits...

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Dewgong"

#3742338 - 09/23/17 07:13 PM Re: LED Backup Lights Come on with Brake Lights [Re: Slot_Car]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Check your grounds and wiring in the trunk, especially if it was a cop car, mine still has a reverse light wig wag flasher installed (inop), so who knows what effect that might have if I put LED's in the reverse lights.

#3742394 - 09/23/17 07:34 PM Re: LED Backup Lights Come on with Brake Lights [Re: Slot_Car]
BigMerc96 Offline

I know nothing
Posting Addict

Loc: I can see Detroit from here!
Something is wrong. There is no situation I can think of where LED reverse lights would be turning on with the brake lights unless there is a bad ground somewhere. It may be that it was always like that but it never passed enough current to illuminate a incandescent bulb, but the LEDs need less power to light up.

FWIW, I have cheapie 3157 LEDs in my reverse lights that I "modified" so the entire bulb lights up. Out of the box 2/3 of the bulb would light up for "brake" or "signal" function of a 3157, and 1/3 would light up for "tail" or "running light". I simply crossed a wire in the bulb so now it all lights up. Its the only way I could get it any brighter than a stock 3156. I trash picked them at work after a customer threw them out so I wasn't worried if I broke them.

2006 Audi A6 ~132k miles, stock.
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~100k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
1997 Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows, cats deleted, MSD Ignition, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front bar, air ride reinstated, Projector retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, holistic weight reduction as the parts fall off..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12 frown

#3742594 - 09/23/17 11:23 PM Re: LED Backup Lights Come on with Brake Lights [Re: Slot_Car]
Black_Sunshine Offline
Poobah

Loc: AZ
I'll have to try these. Although, I don't think JDM astar has the best quality. I have some taillights from them and one of them broke a contact inside. I had to pull the bulb apart and resolder it. Then I hot glued it back together.

75mm DBW TB

Click to reveal...

2005 Grand Marquis GS Two Tone Edition

Vibrant White over Arizona Beige

The GS Two Tone Package includes:
� hood ornament
� c-pillar emblems
� LS style body side moldings
� body color mirror caps (the b-pillars are body color too, but I don't know if that is package specific)
� two tone interior (mine is leather and includes embossed logos on the seats)
� front door sill plates that say �Grand Marquis�

CarDomain

Facebook

#3744034 - 09/25/17 03:38 PM Re: LED Backup Lights Come on with Brake Lights [Re: P_Weston]
Slot_Car Offline
n00b

Loc: Maryland
As soon as I replaced the original bulbs back in, they work as they normally would.

Still not sure why it might do this. I was very surprised when a friend told me this was happening. Better to find out from a friend than the cops.
- 18" Mustang Foundry Wheels
- 235/50ZR-18 Front & 245/55ZR-18 Rear Continental ExtremeContact Tires

Who's Online
2 registered (RipWixomAssembly, Swirlsound), 104 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!