Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1533167 - 08/05/08 07:19 PM E Brake wont release
moore6085 Offline
Rookie

WTF, had to set the e brake the other day when I trailored my car from the transmission taking a dump on me. Now the rear brakes are locked up from I guess setting the E brake. I've released it inside but it wont release at the rear brakes. What the hell. How can I get it to release? Man if I ever get this car fixed somebody else will own them one fine CV money pit.

Links
#1533253 - 08/05/08 09:31 PM Re: E Brake wont release [Re: moore6085]
Stick Offline
Climber

Loc: Oshawa Ontario Canada

#1533271 - 08/05/08 09:47 PM Re: E Brake wont release [Re: moore6085]
dcummer Offline

n00b

Loc: ma
I think it depends whether it is the front cable or one of the two rear cables that is seized up. If it is the front cable you can try releasing the pedal and pulling it back by hand, then grab the cable under the car and pull it away from the floor pan. On my '98 the front cable was chafed where it goes through the frame and turns up into the driver footwell. This was sufficient to retract the cable. Replacement was way easy - followed the autozone instructions.
Assuming the rear cables work, you could free up the e-brake by releasing the cable adjuster. Can't miss it, under the floor pan under the rear seat. Slide the clip (that locks onto the ridged cable) away from the cable to release it, and the e-brakes should release.
If one of your rear cables is stuck I think you'll have to replace it, or cut it as a (very) temporary fix.

#1533853 - 08/06/08 05:52 PM Re: E Brake wont release [Re: dcummer]
moore6085 Offline
Rookie

Well I got it released. All I had to do was look under the driver side of the car where the cable runs and pull it by hand and it apparently released it. I guess the cable was hung up where it goes through the floor to the pedal.

#1534307 - 08/07/08 11:57 AM Re: E Brake wont release [Re: moore6085]
dcummer Offline

n00b

Loc: ma
Sounds like the same thing mine did. $15 cable from napa and less than half an hour to put it in. Cool trick in the autozone online instructions - use a 13mm box wrench to hold the barb thingies in when you pull the old cable ends out. Good luck!!

#1534311 - 08/07/08 12:12 PM Re: E Brake wont release [Re: moore6085]
musclemarquis Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: chicago burbs
 Originally Posted By: moore6085
Well I got it released. All I had to do was look under the driver side of the car where the cable runs and pull it by hand and it apparently released it. I guess the cable was hung up where it goes through the floor to the pedal.

Thats exactly what i was going to tell you.

happened to me before.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/19273
Click the link for more info on my car.

Horsepower is an addiction. smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!