Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4132058 - 01/04/22 06:03 PM Lets talk about brakes
hot__box Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Gulf South
So I’m looking to do a brake job on the ‘97.

The brakes on Aeros in general are not so great. Compounded with the fact that I don’t exactly know the most about brakes means I’m not sure which direction to go in.

I’m looking for recommendations.

Here’s what I was looking at from Rock Auto:

Rotors:

FRONT: Motorcraft BRR190
REAR: CENTRIX 12061052

? OR... I was looking at some drilled and slotted Raybestos rotors.

Calipers:

Raybestos R Line Remanufactured

Pads:

...? not sure.

Few questions:

1.) Does the ‘95-‘97 Marquis take steel piston or phenolic piston calipers.. or I suppose the better question is which is better to have?

2.) Metallic, Semi-Metallic, or Ceramic pads? I’ve heard Ceramic pads wear out faster and can potentially be noisier, but the trade off is better stopping power. But are they actually any better?

3.) 1” or 1 3/4” piston clip diameter? There are options for either and I’m not exactly sure what is standard.

4.) regular or drilled and slotted rotors.. which is better for long term use.

5.) Any additional tips or information for doing a complete brake job myself? Specialized tools, chemicals, little tips or tricks?

FWIW, my driving style is generally hard. Hard accelerations, hard stops, etc. Sometimes I drive like a granny.. slow putt putt.. but normally I drive my cars hard. A vehicle is meant to be driven.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Links
#4132064 - 01/04/22 06:13 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
hkerekes Offline
Climber

Loc: NC
research the 98-02 front brake swap. I have all the parts except for the rotors that im selling very cheap.

The 95-97 brakes are terrible and getting different rotors isnt going to do anything.

Im also selling the caliper adapters for the c5 corvette brake swap.

If you really want to spend some money i could sell you a wilwood 6 piston brake setup. I had brackets made up for the calipers, and they work with a 14" rotor.

So depending on how much money you want to spend i have options.

Edited by hkerekes (01/04/22 06:13 PM)

#4132074 - 01/04/22 06:35 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
Can't say I've ever been worried by the brakes, I've always had nice pedal feel and the car stops straight and proper. Over the years I've done the front calipers and hoses besides changing rotors and pads as required, along with changing the fluid regularly.

So for the last decade or so I've just run normal rotors on my '97. Traditional parts house or OE style rotors seem to work fine, haven't had any issues there. Never tried the slotted/drilled rotors, and don't plan to.

For brake pads, I prefer semi-metallic to ceramic just because the bite has been better. Ceramic keeps the dust down a bit, but I'll take the trade off. I'm going to try the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads next since that's what we use at work on the police cars, and those seem to bite reasonably well, even cold. Otherwise, a good middle of the line semi-metallic should work well, whether it be Motorcraft, Raybestos, or similar line pad.

Regarding rear caliper pistons, it's a tossup on what the piston material is made up of. I've got steel pistons, but Ford just slapped whatever on the car. You'd need to remove your rear pad to determine piston material for the correct pad clip size. I'd say if you're replacing the caliper, just get the steel piston one.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Transmission going in soon, then finish everything else.
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (343K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles | nPI 4.6) - April 2013 & May 2023 POTM Winner - Wrecked after 12 years frown Currently rebuilding.

#4132078 - 01/04/22 07:04 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hkerekes]
Chaplian Offline

Insert witty title here
Poobah

Loc: Chicago, IL
Originally Posted By hkerekes
research the 98-02 front brake swap. I have all the parts except for the rotors that im selling very cheap.

The 95-97 brakes are terrible and getting different rotors isnt going to do anything.

Im also selling the caliper adapters for the c5 corvette brake swap.

If you really want to spend some money i could sell you a wilwood 6 piston brake setup. I had brackets made up for the calipers, and they work with a 14" rotor.

So depending on how much money you want to spend i have options.

I strongly suggest doing the 98-02 front brake upgrade. Do note you will need 16" wheels.

Semi metallic pads (Raybestos, Wagner, or Centric semi metallic police pads are normally good stuff) with solid rotors, and you'll be surprised how quickly a big 'ole panther comes to a stop.

Another thing that affects the brake distance of panthers is nose dive. Some Bilstein shocks on all four corners will surprise you.

2011 Crown Vic LX- 78,xxx.
2003 Crown Vic HPP- 235,xxx miles. Retired.
1995 Impala SS- 29xxx miles. The Lovely Lady
2003 BMW 325i Wagon- 8250 RPM redline. Complete M3 drivetrain, suspension, and electronics. Taylor Swift.
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback- 90,xxxx miles. 2.5L, fully loaded. The Daily Grind.

#4132082 - 01/04/22 07:45 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa
OP, if you want your car to remain stock, if I were you, I would get the Raybestos high performance rotors and Raybestos police duty pads from Rockauto.

Aside from that make sure your brake fluid is changed, you have at least new brake lines up front (Motorcraft or Raybestos), and most importantly new tires. This all contributes to being able to slow these massive long heavy cars down quickly and safely.

With all due respect, so much technology has came along since 1997. The new Raybestos formulations are amazing especially with the police line that are manufactured in Italy.

Don't bother with the slotted or cross drilled rotors. That's for pure racing and they can perform even worse then stock until they are heated up. They can also crack in between the holes. You need a street/police setup that will stop you on a dime even when cold.

Already I can think of 3 different situations where my Raybestos police setup prevented my car from being totaled. They are also very quiet.

#4132086 - 01/04/22 08:53 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
I second what Lance said. I put the Raybestos Police Series rotors, pads, and calipers on my ex's Marauder and she loved them.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4132090 - 01/04/22 10:05 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
2004_p71 Offline

no replacement for displacement
Posting Addict

Loc: Quebec Canada
X2 on the 98 to 02 up grade . It's night and day compared to the stock brakes .

Best time 13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'
Hunting for flat 12's in 2023 !

#4132096 - 01/04/22 10:58 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: Lance01]
hkerekes Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By Lance01
OP, if you want your car to remain stock, if I were you, I would get the Raybestos high performance rotors and Raybestos police duty pads from Rockauto.

Aside from that make sure your brake fluid is changed, you have at least new brake lines up front (Motorcraft or Raybestos), and most importantly new tires. This all contributes to being able to slow these massive long heavy cars down quickly and safely.

With all due respect, so much technology has came along since 1997. The new Raybestos formulations are amazing especially with the police line that are manufactured in Italy.

Don't bother with the slotted or cross drilled rotors. That's for pure racing and they can perform even worse then stock until they are heated up. They can also crack in between the holes. You need a street/police setup that will stop you on a dime even when cold.

Already I can think of 3 different situations where my Raybestos police setup prevented my car from being totaled. They are also very quiet.

You have a few misconceptions about brakes. Different rotors wont help you stop any better. Slotted and or drilled dont really take longer to heat up, but yes they dont do much regardless. If you can lock up the tires on factory brakes then they work just fine and going to larger brakes wont help with anything.

Bigger brakes only help you manage the heat better, and give you more braking power if you need it. You then run into locking up the tires earlier and easier. Some brake pads need heat in them to work but honestly they still work when cold. Nothing you buy from a parts store will even come close to working like a race pad that needs heat.

I have tracked a crown vic on the 98+ brake setup and its entirely possible to lock the front wheels up easily. I then moved to wilwood 6 piston brakes on factory 14" steel rotors, then the same calipers with 2 piece girodisc rotors. The car still brakes the same as the factory calipers with "beginner" race pads. The only difference is pad availabity and variety, rotor and pad longevity, and pedal feel.

#4132148 - 01/05/22 10:54 AM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
hot__box Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Gulf South
Thanks.

So here’s the thing; it’s not necessarily that I desire to keep the car completely stock, because I’d definitely be interested in doing the big brake upgrade. But, that little needing 16” rims thing is an important caveat. I like the stock rims on this car.

Now, I do plan on getting different rims someday, but I was actually thinking spoke wire rims like some Daytons (Relax, y’all should know by now that I do things with class, it would look good.) .. but I’m a ways off from that. I’m still in the phase of doing all the maintenance and stuff that it needs to be a reliable daily before I can start thinking about things such as paint and rims. Needing new rims to do the big brake upgrade would mean I would need new tires, etc. That’s not a priority now.

With that being said, it looks like the standard replacement route for now.

Honestly, does anyone actually recommend replacing the calipers as well? Or just leave the original calipers and go with the new Raybestos pads and solid rotors?

Also, do you actually need to bleed the brake lines after the install or could you just “purge” the brakes by pumping after the fact .. ?

#4132164 - 01/05/22 12:21 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hot__box]
stalag Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
I had to look into brakes for my 2001 Town Car. Cryogenic rotors properly treated last very long times. Given this, the current rotor available are from Diversified Cryogenics who do heat treatment for various entities including the USA military. Hardened rotors need an agressive pad and Hawk HPS work well when warm. In very cold weather initial stops are extended until heat is built into the rotors. I found the EBC Red Stuff pads are very good for this combination. If you are using standard rotors, the metal structure is more prone to wear but pad choices are more abundant. DO NOT use Ford/Motorcraft pads with cryogenic heat treated rotors. The pads just won't bite as I found to my dismay. This is the combination I have used. If heat soak is an issue, I have used to good effect the services of Goldline Brakes in Washington to good effect. Our brake calipers either use phenolic or steel (not stainless) as the piston material. Gold line is able to buy machined Stainless steel pistons that won't corrode and have half the heat transfer of standard steel. I had this done and it works. Brake fluid boil over if you have experienced this you don't want a repeat. Brake fluid I recommend is either ATE Typ 200 (not a typo) or Amsoil Racing Brake fluids. Both are DOT 4 at the top end or DOT 5.1. DOT 5.1 is like DOT 3 and DOT 4. DOT 5 with no .1 is silicon fluid and should NOT be used. DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 are ester based and are possible to be mixed. I hope this helps. By the way I got 100K off the rotors on the prior set of cryogenic rotors I bought.

#4132172 - 01/05/22 01:19 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: stalag]
hkerekes Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By stalag
I had to look into brakes for my 2001 Town Car. Cryogenic rotors properly treated last very long times. Given this, the current rotor available are from Diversified Cryogenics who do heat treatment for various entities including the USA military. Hardened rotors need an agressive pad and Hawk HPS work well when warm. In very cold weather initial stops are extended until heat is built into the rotors. I found the EBC Red Stuff pads are very good for this combination. If you are using standard rotors, the metal structure is more prone to wear but pad choices are more abundant. DO NOT use Ford/Motorcraft pads with cryogenic heat treated rotors. The pads just won't bite as I found to my dismay. This is the combination I have used. If heat soak is an issue, I have used to good effect the services of Goldline Brakes in Washington to good effect. Our brake calipers either use phenolic or steel (not stainless) as the piston material. Gold line is able to buy machined Stainless steel pistons that won't corrode and have half the heat transfer of standard steel. I had this done and it works. Brake fluid boil over if you have experienced this you don't want a repeat. Brake fluid I recommend is either ATE Typ 200 (not a typo) or Amsoil Racing Brake fluids. Both are DOT 4 at the top end or DOT 5.1. DOT 5.1 is like DOT 3 and DOT 4. DOT 5 with no .1 is silicon fluid and should NOT be used. DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 are ester based and are possible to be mixed. I hope this helps. By the way I got 100K off the rotors on the prior set of cryogenic rotors I bought.

More brake misunderstanding. Cryo treated rotors are just harder than normal, they do not require any different pads, and do not perform any better than regular rotors. They last longer and thats it. Brake rotors are so cheap now that its literaly throwing money out the window. Brake rotors do not change anything regarding regular street braking performance.

Different pistons wont really do much for heat soak. You cant get enough heat in your brakes on the street to get fade if you have good fluid in the car. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and if its old then it needs to be replaced. More moisture in the fluid means it boils sooner. What also matters is thickness of the brake pads. When they get thin and the pad material is less thick then the backing plate is where you run into heat transfer problems. But at that point a different piston material isnt going to solve your problem either. I have tracked a crown vic with the phenolic pistons and cheap parts store rotors. It stops just the same as my current setup of 6 piston caliper/two piece rotor setup.

There is also no reason to run any race fluid on the street, it is another complete waste of money for no benefit. You literally wont ever get enough heat in the brakes to warrant the race fluid. Regular dot 3 or whatever came in the car from the factory is just fine. Race fluid only has a higher boiling temperature before you lose the brake pedal. Thats all that it does, there is no stopping benefit or anything.

Edited by hkerekes (01/05/22 01:24 PM)

#4132190 - 01/05/22 03:54 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hkerekes]
Lance01 Offline
Climber

Loc: Pa

You have a few misconceptions about brakes. Different rotors wont help you stop any better. Slotted and or drilled dont really take longer to heat up, but yes they dont do much regardless. If you can lock up the tires on factory brakes then they work just fine and going to larger brakes wont help with anything.

Bigger brakes only help you manage the heat better, and give you more braking power if you need it. You then run into locking up the tires earlier and easier. Some brake pads need heat in them to work but honestly they still work when cold. Nothing you buy from a parts store will even come close to working like a race pad that needs heat.

I have tracked a crown vic on the 98+ brake setup and its entirely possible to lock the front wheels up easily. I then moved to wilwood 6 piston brakes on factory 14" steel rotors, then the same calipers with 2 piece girodisc rotors. The car still brakes the same as the factory calipers with "beginner" race pads. The only difference is pad availabity and variety, rotor and pad longevity, and pedal feel.

I respectfully disagree. For my 2004 P71 there was a clear difference in stopping ability by changing over to Raybestos police rotors AND Raybestos police pads and it better be because the Raybestos police rotors are now 91 dollars each. Lol

Think of it this way.... If there isn't any improvement in just changing out rotors with a different brand of the same size then why do manufacturers even offer different grades of rotors in the first place for the same car? We all might as well buy the cheapest made in China rotors and be done with it if it doesn't make a difference.

The truth is, in keeping the same rotor size, one set of rotors can be superior to another mainly due to the superior metal formulation, and as far as heat even rotors of the same size a cheaper rotor is usually constructed with less material so it heats up faster.

Check out Raybestos videos on their testing. Interesting stuff: https://youtu.be/pGEg-CgZAzw

BTW, another poster pointed out EBC brakes and they're awesome as well. I believe they are a British company that makes top notch brakes. I used them when I had a Nissan Maxima.

#4132196 - 01/05/22 04:42 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: Lance01]
stalag Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Columbus, OH
I am going to pile on here. What I shared above is empirical experience in what worked, not in what you can mate. A Town Car is heavier and mine is the long wheel base which is heavier yet but still uses the same brakes as the crown vic. Given this I am also a PhD scientist and understand people might not know the methodology I used. I actually ran with those pads against the cryogenic rotor. And in the metallurgy which I have some understanding in, a cryogenic treatment (heat treatment that uses cryogenics as part of the process) is known to rearrange the crystalline structure of the metal alloys used in rotors. I don't want to go into this but there are literally thousands of papers in the scientific literature on this.

Given this the softer the surface the more likely pads will bite. I tried the OEM pads and almost ended up in accidents. EBC red stuff pads and the Hawk HPS when warm were far better in my experience. I have not tried other pads but I did share what I experienced. I never indicated otherwise that this was definitive.

#4132198 - 01/05/22 05:02 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: hkerekes]
2011LX Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SE WI
Originally Posted By stalag

More brake misunderstanding. Cryo treated rotors are just harder than normal, they do not require any different pads, and do not perform any better than regular rotors. They last longer and thats it. Brake rotors are so cheap now that its literaly throwing money out the window. Brake rotors do not change anything regarding regular street braking performance.

Different pistons wont really do much for heat soak. You cant get enough heat in your brakes on the street to get fade if you have good fluid in the car. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and if its old then it needs to be replaced. More moisture in the fluid means it boils sooner. What also matters is thickness of the brake pads. When they get thin and the pad material is less thick then the backing plate is where you run into heat transfer problems. But at that point a different piston material isnt going to solve your problem either. I have tracked a crown vic with the phenolic pistons and cheap parts store rotors. It stops just the same as my current setup of 6 piston caliper/two piece rotor setup.

There is also no reason to run any race fluid on the street, it is another complete waste of money for no benefit. You literally wont ever get enough heat in the brakes to warrant the race fluid. Regular dot 3 or whatever came in the car from the factory is just fine. Race fluid only has a higher boiling temperature before you lose the brake pedal. Thats all that it does, there is no stopping benefit or anything.

I concur with all of this.

IMO, the difference between steel and plastic caliper pistons is in durability. Plastic Pistons don't corrode when the brake fluid absorbs moisture and their finish is more consistent, and thus those calipers don't seize as easily.

No performance difference, though.

I prefer plastic Pistons, fwiw.
Medium Light Stone interior

#4132206 - 01/05/22 06:00 PM Re: Lets talk about brakes [Re: Lance01]
hkerekes Offline
Climber

I respectfully disagree. For my 2004 P71 there was a clear difference in stopping ability by changing over to Raybestos police rotors AND Raybestos police pads and it better be because the Raybestos police rotors are now 91 dollars each. Lol

Think of it this way.... If there isn't any improvement in just changing out rotors with a different brand of the same size then why do manufacturers even offer different grades of rotors in the first place for the same car? We all might as well buy the cheapest made in China rotors and be done with it if it doesn't make a difference.

The truth is, in keeping the same rotor size, one set of rotors can be superior to another mainly due to the superior metal formulation, and as far as heat even rotors of the same size a cheaper rotor is usually constructed with less material so it heats up faster.

Check out Raybestos videos on their testing. Interesting stuff: https://youtu.be/pGEg-CgZAzw

BTW, another poster pointed out EBC brakes and they're awesome as well. I believe they are a British company that makes top notch brakes. I used them when I had a Nissan Maxima.

Yes you changed the pads along with the rotors. Pads will determine pedal feel and friction. The cryo rotors did nothing other than cost you money and wear less. A butt dyno is all but useless though.

Ive gone down this road many many times and watched our braking performance and ability to lock the tires throughout multiple braking setups. Ive been through a set of pads and rotors in a single weekend. After it all i have roughly $2000 in our front braking setup.

You can respectfully disagree but i have experience and evidence to back up what im saying.

Changing out a bad set of brakes and putting on a fresh set of brakes may seem like you have better braking performance but in actuality you are back to what it originally came with. If you can activate ABS with any brake setup then you have all the braking ability you will ever need on the street and only different tires will help you stop better.

Edited by hkerekes (01/05/22 06:01 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 136 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!