Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4126614 - 10/31/21 05:57 PM Safe to Drive? Bad Green Steering Column Retainer
Stangstinger Offline
n00b

Loc: NE, USA
I was doing some reading after noticing that when I turn my steering wheel when making a left or right turn, I hear what sounds like rubber that is rubbing against something. It is not hard to make a turn, and I do not feel resistance, just the noise that has been bothering me. I feel it in the pedals too when it makes the sound.

While inspecting down there, in the interior, I noticed the green collar for the steering column way out of the normal specs. I can see like 2 inches of it. I would post a picture if I could figure out how on here, but it really is showing.

Is the car safe to drive like this? What does this mean needs fixed? I have seen a few threads and stickies on here about this plastic collar being either seated or unseated, but they do not really go beyond that.

My VIN does not allow me to be covered under the recall because my state is somehow not included as a corrosive state, despite using salt in the winters and having neighboring states included in the recall. Ford's website does list my VIN as valid under the CSP 13R01, but I am not sure I can even be eligible for this still in 2021. What should I do? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Stangstinger (10/31/21 06:37 PM)

Links
#4126664 - 11/01/21 03:35 PM Re: Safe to Drive? Bad Green Steering Column Retainer [Re: Stangstinger]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Shove the collar as much towards the driver as possible. Been a long while since I looked, but if it completely falls out you lose all steering as the shaft will separate.

Have a look at the tsb/recall;
https://ford.oemdtc.com/663/13r01-certai...ng-column-shaft

Something you can do is run the vin through your local favoirte ford dealer parts department and have them tell you if the steering shaft/retainer recall has been completed (all it is is an inspection when it first came out--if it passed inspection recall satisfied and no longer applies. If it has not been done, schedule to drop your car off and have them fix it.) Odds are it has already had the inspection, so you will be on your own to repair it.

Alex.

#4126680 - 11/01/21 06:10 PM Re: Safe to Drive? Bad Green Steering Column Retainer [Re: Stangstinger]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By Stangstinger
My VIN does not allow me to be covered under the recall because my state is somehow not included as a corrosive state, despite using salt in the winters and having neighboring states included in the recall.
That's the lower steering shaft recall, which is not the problem you have. There was a separate recall for the green plastic retainer that has nothing to do with corrosion.

Short answer: No, the car is not safe to drive. If that retainer drops far enough, the steering wheel will disconnect from the shaft. I'll leave it to your imagination what the outcome would be if that happened at speed on the highway.
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'11 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition (Black)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4127310 - 11/09/21 04:55 PM Re: Safe to Drive? Bad Green Steering Column Retainer [Re: RF_Overlord]
Stangstinger Offline
n00b

Loc: NE, USA
Thank you! I took this one out of my daily driver fleet and sent it off to the dealer and wouldn't you know... they just called me stating they replaced the lower and upper shafts as well as the retainer and multiple bearings and bolts. All of it covered, I owe nothing.

For all who are wondering they cited to campaign number 13R01.

I'll get the car back tomorrow. Extremely happy about this and excited this was still covered and everything even today in 2021. In the past I have NOT have good luck getting any work covered that was not explicitly called a recall. Great news!

#4127326 - 11/09/21 09:33 PM Re: Safe to Drive? Bad Green Steering Column Retainer [Re: Stangstinger]
D-Fenz Offline

Poobah

Loc: Free America (WV)
Nice!

2005 CVPI-Rick James-SOLD
2000 Exploder-Charlie Murphy I-SOLD
1998 CVPI-Snow Beast-SOLD
1991 CVLX-Beast-SOLD
1987 Tempo-The Red Demon-RIP

Beef Supreme Tech News

Please put your year/make/model/mileage in your signature, it helps everyone answer your questions.

#4127406 - 11/10/21 03:59 PM Re: Safe to Drive? Bad Green Steering Column Retainer [Re: Stangstinger]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Excellent news!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!