whats my gear ratio

Posted by: I_AM_SEAN

whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 06:09 AM

i'm not sure if my gear ratio is correct, it says my axle is "X5" and when I rev my car to burn out both tires spin, does that mean posi-trac?
also i want max MPG so what should i switch to?
Posted by: 98VicP71

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 07:25 AM

yes that would mean you have a trac-loc.

As for rear gears for the best fuel economy you would want to switch to 2:73's

You currently have 3:27's

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 07:43 AM

Okay so for the swap
1 do you know where i can get them
2 is there any major thing i have to do?

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 07:48 AM

1.) you can find them anywhere, Ebay, On this board, adtr.net summit and so forth.

I would look on here and ebay to find the best deal. Most people swap their gear out to go to a lower gear so there should be some that have a set of 2:73 gears that they would be willing to part with pretty cheap.

2.) You will want to have them installed by a professional. it is about a 4 hour process if you know what you are doing and there are very tight tolerances you have to deal with and would need a dial indicator and such.

personally if you are going to swap gears and will have the rear end torn apart anyway now would be a perfect time to get a rear end rebuild kit and replace all the bearings and seals in the rear end as well as the axle seals and bearings.

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 07:54 AM

I check adtr and ebay neither have them
Posted by: Rizzo

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 12:12 PM

Check out the for sale section here... A near free set of 2.73's will become more available as peeps get tax refunds and want a higher ratio.

If you buy used... Ask for pics...If the teeth arent saw "blade sharp" so to speak... Walk.
Posted by: kustomizingkid

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 12:25 PM

Just pick up a complete rear axle assembly form a junk yard with the 2.73's in it...
Posted by: dRock96Marquis

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: I_AM_SEAN
i'm not sure if my gear ratio is correct, it says my axle is "X5" and when I rev my car to burn out both tires spin, does that mean posi-trac?
also i want max MPG so what should i switch to?

X5 is 3.27 w/ Traction-lok for 2001 MY

Complete door sticker axle code chart for '01:

Quote:
The axle ratios are:

l C8 — 2.73 conventional (non-locker)

l 58 — 2.73 conventional (non-locker)

l AZ — 3.08 conventional (non-locker)

l R2 — 3.55 conventional (non-locker)

l Z5 — 3.27 conventional (non-locker)

l X5 — 3.27 locker

There is also a tag on the rear differential cover with the ratio stamped on it. For a 3.27 w/ TL it would be 3L27, then the plant/buil sequence under it.
For a 3.27 open it would read 3 27, with the open space between.

The first digit is often partially under the diff cover bolt. If it ends in 27, 08, or 55 it is a 3. If it ends with 73 it has 2.73s (which weren't installed in CVPIs, but are in all base CV/GMQ)
Posted by: RiceBurnt6

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 02:10 PM

You Rock!! Drock. I have x5 as well. But when i encountered 7' of snow. Only 1 wheel was spinning? If i hold down the brakes and do a burnout both wheels spin?

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Stallone
You Rock!! Drock. I have x5 as well. But when i encountered 7' of snow. Only 1 wheel was spinning? If i hold down the brakes and do a burnout both wheels spin?

sounds like you need new clutches.. Average life span is around 50k-75k
Posted by: RiceBurnt6

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 02:27 PM

Great \:\( How difficult is it to replace the clutches, and Where can i find the kit?
Posted by: ludwigvan968

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 05:45 PM

adtr.net sells them, get the carbon ones they rock!
Posted by: innertwist

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/18/09 11:07 PM

I'm confused. My door sticker has 'X5' for the axle as well, but it's definitively not a locker (I've changed the gear oil - no clutches). It's a 1997. Is it still a 3.27? Should it have an LSD based on the code on the door?
Posted by: dRock96Marquis

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/19/09 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: innertwist
I'm confused. My door sticker has 'X5' for the axle as well, but it's definitively not a locker (I've changed the gear oil - no clutches). It's a 1997. Is it still a 3.27? Should it have an LSD based on the code on the door?

No, the code doesn't have the same description every year - hence the confusion.

On the OP's 2001 it's a 3.27 w/ traction-lok

On your '97 it should be a 3.27 OPEN differential.

Look at the tag on the diff cover to confirm
Posted by: hotrodjcc

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/19/09 01:04 AM

Sean i know a shop in lexington who will do a gear swap for you for a decent price. He swapped my gears out
Posted by: innertwist

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/19/09 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis
 Originally Posted By: innertwist

No, the code doesn't have the same description every year - hence the confusion.

On the OP's 2001 it's a 3.27 w/ traction-lok

On your '97 it should be a 3.27 OPEN differential.

Look at the tag on the diff cover to confirm

Word. Thank you!
Posted by: Ciffer

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/19/09 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Stallone
Great \:\( How difficult is it to replace the clutches, and Where can i find the kit?

it is possible to replace the clutches without removing the carrier from the housing, but it is tricky, and tight.

Re: whats my gear ratio - 02/21/09 10:55 AM

who?