Spark Plug Wire Routing.

Posted by: BigMerc96

Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 11:20 AM

Okay, I've been searching for the last 24 hours and I have discovered that what I'm about to ask is apparently difficult.

On my '97 Town Car, I installed MSD coils and wires that are designed for a Mustang. As such, a couple of wires are shorter, and 1 is longer than the normal Panther wires. I know there are Aero guys on here running Mustang wires, seeing as literally NO good wires are made for our cars. I copied the factory routing on my Town Car, and while everything fits okay, they don't route as neatly as the stock wires.

Okay, now, here is my question, Can anyone get me a picture of your spark plug wire routing? I don't want a diagram of what wire goes to what terminal on the coils, I got that, thats all I get when I search (here, google, mustang boards). A picture of how the wires are routed near the coils would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: Bangster

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 12:01 PM

I didn't know there was that much difference.

This is my 97 COUGAR with OEM Coil Packs and wires. It is a Cougar, not a Mustang or a Crown Vic, but it might help.

Again, it is a Cougar smile
Posted by: Derek19CrownVic

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 12:17 PM

Would a picture of the Linc's routing help ?
Posted by: Derek19CrownVic

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 01:55 PM

Heres some pictures for reference. These are from the '95. I would've taken them on the '97 since its the same year but the sun glare was too bad.

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Bangster
I didn't know there was that much difference.

This is my 97 COUGAR with OEM Coil Packs and wires. It is a Cougar, not a Mustang or a Crown Vic, but it might help.

Again, it is a Cougar smile

Thank you very much! exactly what I needed. Apparently, the direction in which the wires come off the coil makes all the difference. On a panther, they come off the coils so that the wires point towards the alternator (if that makes sense). The Mustang, like the Cougar above, apparently, the wires come off the coils pointing towards the firewall. I rerouted the wires from scratch starting with #4 (the longest wire) and now things route to my satisfaction. smile
Posted by: QuicksterP71

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 02:10 PM

so much awesome waste spark

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 02:38 PM

For Future reference:

Panther wire diagram:

Mustang wire diagram:

Mustang routing on Panther (pass side coil):

Mustang routing on Panther (driver side coil):

Mustang Routing on Panther (front)
Posted by: QuicksterP71

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 02:44 PM

nice upgrade Merc i am jealous now drool drool drool drool drool
Posted by: RollinX151

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 03:20 PM

Why don't you move the 2 left wires over to the right and stick that loose wire in the retainer clip?

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 03:58 PM

Tried it, the wire isn't long enough to both do that and still not create unnecessary crossing. The way I have them routed the wires don't actually touch one another anywhere. Moving the #1 wire into the retainer causes it to cross the other 3 wires for that bank,and the number 3 and 5 wires to cross with one of the wires that comes over the alternator, that extra space eliminates that.
Posted by: RollinX151

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 04:09 PM

Oh I see it now.
Posted by: Bangster

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 04:22 PM

So the coil packs are mounted further out and angled, I see that now. I don't see the power steering pump. I haven't spent much time under the hood of a pre 98 in a long time, and I have a 2000 GM now.

Are those rusty brake lines in the driverside picture, or are they oily and dirty? Looks scarily like rust to me, ouch.

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 04:28 PM

Don't worry, its rust. smile wait... frown Its on my list.

As for the power steering pump, its in the same spot on all '92+ panthers, but the reservoir moved a few times. On mine, the reservoir is on the drivers side fender liner.
Posted by: ajdereicup

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 05:27 PM

The red is a nice off set color for the whole engine

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/20/12 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ajdereicup
The red is a nice off set color for the whole engine
Thanks beer1

Now if only the rest of the engine bay wasn't so dirty. Some day I'll get ambitious enough to clean it all up.
Posted by: Piranah

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/21/12 12:22 AM

Is the ignition from a Mustang too or just the wires?

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 08/21/12 12:51 AM

The coils are Mustang coils as well. They are all the same. A few Ford 4cyl engines even used the same coil, just 1 of them.
Posted by: Piranah

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 09/06/12 01:12 AM

Thanks for the reference to this. I feel stupid for not remembering this thread. For the coils, is this right?

http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-8241-...rd+4.6+msd+coil

Re: Spark Plug Wire Routing. - 09/06/12 10:30 AM

That is them. They seem to work really well.