Emergency coolant question!

Posted by: Benwah

Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 11:45 AM

Hey guys, on the way to work this morning my 08 P71's water pump took a [censored]. I know this because the pulley is seized and coolant was shooting out of that little hole on the top of the water pump.

I am having someone bring me tools and I am going to buy a new pump. QUESTION is, I will have to refill the coolant, I cannot do a flush as my car is on the side of a fairly busy road. The coolant in it is green and that's what came with it when I purchased that car..

Is there a specific type I should be getting from AutoZone / O'reilley? Or should I just use whatever I can until I can do a proper flush this weekend? Thanks for the help! I will be replacing the pump here shortly
Posted by: BillyBishop

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 11:50 AM

I'd just put distilled water in to replace whatever coolant you lost. You can get it at a grocery store for pretty cheap. Distilled water is the best coolant you can use, and it will mix with anything.

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 01:53 PM

Water pump - $52

Coolant + DI water (lost a lot) - $40

Crowbar - $30

Knowing my car will not overheat in the Arizona heat - PRICELESS!
Posted by: stalag

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 02:45 PM

Distilled water in a pinch is perfectly acceptable. Do the flush when you get the time. Plus I think in Arizona the temps are high enough that freezing is not an issue.
Posted by: RF_Overlord

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 05:07 PM

I know the OP is asking about an emergency situation, but just so someone new doesn't mis-interpret the answers above:

Don't run water-only, even in Arizona. In addition to its anti-freezing properties, coolant also contains lubricants and anti-corrosion additives to protect the entire system. In really hot climates, it's acceptable to lower the concentrataion to 30/70, but I wouldn't go any lower.

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 06:50 PM

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't know we could do that here.
Posted by: Robert_Allen

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Benwah
Water pump - $52

Coolant + DI water (lost a lot) - $40

Crowbar - $30

Knowing my car will not overheat in the Arizona heat - PRICELESS!

You had to resort to a crowbar too, eh? Mod motor water pumps can be a major PITA to remove. Mine involved a huge screwdriver and a BFH!
Posted by: stalag

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/17/13 10:49 PM

$40 for distilled/deionized water? You got ripped.

should have been at most $4-5 bucks.

I agree with RF about not running water long term. Use of distilled water only is to get you to a place where you can do the flush safely. Use of water with no anticorrosives in place will lead to engine damage. You only have a day or two if running on distilled water only until you flush. Follow my sig for the link in flushing coolants.
Posted by: coolguy147

Re: Emergency coolant question! - 05/18/13 08:55 AM

For emergency purposes...distilled water is fine...

I pay less than a dollar for a gallon.