How many miles on Royal Purple Oil?

Posted by: Freddy12189

How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/23/20 07:56 PM

Last October around then I changed my oil and filter with RP oil. This week after 10K miles I changed it again. But the old oil was still clean looking as new!!

I will keep changing it every 10K but I am wondering what is the longest you can run this RP oil? The bottle says nothing about change interval.
Posted by: Bangster

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/23/20 08:14 PM

Oil color only tells a portion of the story. If it isn't dark it just isn't carrying carbon in suspension. The additives are still breaking down, and it is still carrying wear material that might not make it black.

Eventually, after quite a few miles on the engine, all my cars would make the oil black in the first few hundred miles after an oil change.

If you really want to run it longer, you can get an oil sample done, and use that to gauge how long you can normally run the oil, if things don't change drastically.

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/23/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By Bangster
Oil color only tells a portion of the story. If it isn't dark it just isn't carrying carbon in suspension. The additives are still breaking down, and it is still carrying wear material that might not make it black.

Eventually, after quite a few miles on the engine, all my cars would make the oil black in the first few hundred miles after an oil change.

If you really want to run it longer, you can get an oil sample done, and use that to gauge how long you can normally run the oil, if things don't change drastically.

I didnt know they could test the oil. Whats a good place to get it tested? Also I used a KN filter and it weighed a TON so I figured that was holding most of the dirt. I am running a Motorcraft filter now because I read on here its better than the KN.
Posted by: RF_Overlord

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/23/20 10:36 PM

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/
Posted by: Lance01

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/24/20 02:22 AM

My friend, 10k is too long, especially on Royal Purple oil which is no longer as good as they use to be.

According to Ford 3k oil change for severe duty service and 5k for regular service.

If you want to go 10k at least use Mobile 1 Extended performance or Amsoil Signature Series. Personally I use Walmart supertec and change it out every 5k. You can get a case (12 quarts) for about 30 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-12-Quarts/389882816

Btw, I have learned everything about oil including to just use Walmart oil from Bobistheoilguy forum. Check it out sometime:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary
Posted by: sethbon

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/24/20 02:38 AM

I would change it every 5k, but that's me. Besides, replacing the oil is not too pricey.
Posted by: 2008interceptor

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/24/20 02:13 PM

I agree 10k is on the high end though how it's driven and has been taken care of make a difference. You want to be using a filter designed for extended drain intervals as well. That being said I'd suggest 5-7k if your going to do extended. Just sitting in the engine many fluids breakdown driven or not. You don't want to chance gunk/sludge starting.
Posted by: GoldPanther

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/24/20 02:42 PM

OP, are you running any high performance modifications on your engine to need royal purple? If not you're just wasting your money, for the money you spend in RP and K&N filter you could have change the oil two times using another cheaper full synthetic oil and a good less expensive oil filter and get be more protected than waiting 10k miles. clearly money is not an issue to you so my advice is replace the oil more often.
I replace my oil using full synthetic valvoline or castrol and mobil 1 filter every every 3k miles. that's like every 3 months on my usage, so at the end it's like replacing my oil 3 or 4 times a year.

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/25/20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By GoldPanther
OP, are you running any high performance modifications on your engine to need royal purple? If not you're just wasting your money, for the money you spend in RP and K&N filter you could have change the oil two times using another cheaper full synthetic oil and a good less expensive oil filter and get be more protected than waiting 10k miles. clearly money is not an issue to you so my advice is replace the oil more often.
I replace my oil using full synthetic valvoline or castrol and mobil 1 filter every every 3k miles. that's like every 3 months on my usage, so at the end it's like replacing my oil 3 or 4 times a year.

I dont have any performance mods except 70mm throttle and post polish plenum. I think from the advise here I will try to go every 4k miles with a cheaper synthetic oil and motor craft filter. I do put about 12k-15k miles in a year and do a fair amount of mountainous travel and dirt/dust roads in summer time.
Posted by: ChrisM_NY

Re: How many miles on Royal Purple Oil? - 06/28/20 03:10 PM

you ever run amsoil signature series? they claim up to 25,000 miles, 1 year or 700 hours