Overdrive on or off for city/town driving?

Posted by: JMSA540

Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 10:03 PM

Does anybody here drive with overdrive off only unless theya re highway driving? What are the advantages and disadvantages to the car with it off for city/town driving (not going over 50 mph)..?
Posted by: 96bluvic

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 10:06 PM

no advantage, no disadvantage.
O/D off is just turning off 4th gear.
You can turn it off in town and it wont hurt anything, unless your going 40-45 for a long period keep it on.

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 10:07 PM

what happens if you are going 40 mph or a little for a long time with o/d off??
Posted by: Quickvic30

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 10:25 PM

It's the same as driving on the freeway at 75-80mph. I keep my car OD off for whole nights at a time as long as you stay under 40-45.
Posted by: SteveS

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 10:50 PM

Just leave it on.

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 11:20 PM

I can't stand the BOGGIEness of OD at 37mph,LOL, how do you guys deal with that, and all the shifting all the time?
Posted by: keith96p71

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/27/07 11:47 PM

just leave the overdrive on all the time. let the computer decide what to do.
Posted by: dRock96Marquis

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Quickvic30
I can't stand the BOGGIEness of OD at 37mph,LOL, how do you guys deal with that, and all the shifting all the time?

With my current programming, I have no bog with o/d at low speeds. I had to tweak it a lot to do so, though. I don't seem to have much bog at all in any gear, to be honest.

In addition, I have the 3.-4 shift set at 40mph+

3.55s

When I first got my tune from Lonnie, it was bogging like crazy in almost every gear - driving me nuts lol (no offense Lonnie!)
Now it's all good.

My factory programming with 2.73s had no bog unless you hit an incline while in o/d below 43mph
Posted by: Dan The Vic Man

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 12:31 AM

I keep overdrive off as long as im doing 45mph or less.
Posted by: 96bluvic

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 12:42 AM

I usually leave it on.
I can get mine in O/D at 34mph, but it comes out of O/D when it needs to.
otherwise ill leave it off in town.
This subject seems to come up alot, do search and get even more responses
Posted by: Dondo

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 12:44 AM

I keep my over drive on all the time with the exception of when I am towing, then its off unless I am going faster then 50mph

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis

With my current programming, I have no bog with o/d at low speeds. I had to tweak it a lot to do so, though. I don't seem to have much bog at all in any gear, to be honest.

In addition, I have the 3.-4 shift set at 40mph+

3.55s

When I first got my tune from Lonnie, it was bogging like crazy in almost every gear - driving me nuts lol (no offense Lonnie!)
Now it's all good.

My factory programming with 2.73s had no bog unless you hit an incline while in o/d below 43mph

I used to have it set-up so my car wouldn't shift into OD untill 40mph but then we started over for some reason and now it's good but could be a little better, on both cars theres the 3-4 boggggggggggggg.
Posted by: LTDteether

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 01:05 AM

If you think about this too much, you need a hobby if you are old, and a date if you are young.

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: LTDteether
If you think about this too much, you need a hobby if you are old, and a date if you are young.

NO, we don't like our cars bogging and thats why I shut the OD off. Last time I checked cars were a HOBBY!

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: LTDteether

NO, we don't like our cars bogging and thats why I shut the OD off. Last time I checked cars were a HOBBY!

EXACTLY!
Posted by: AMDfan

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 01:50 AM

I leave my O/D off in the city unless I'm on the Lloyd expressway..then once I hit 50MPH, I turn it on...and turn it off to assist in braking.
Posted by: TLH

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 01:55 AM

I use mine for descending steep hills, got 2 on the way to work plus I use it for merging into traffic (esp if the AC is on). When I top the 1st hill im doing about 40-45, disengage OD, listen to her tach up and smoothly descend the grade.
Posted by: PI

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 02:15 AM

Mines only on if I am doing 50+mph and off once I slow down on an off ramp back to a slower speed.
Posted by: Metallic_Vic

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 10:36 AM

I keep mine off in the city and local highway driving. Only use it on long trips.
My transmission is still in second at 80MPH anyway so I have no use for overdrive around town

Man, Its hard to keep the gas pedal off the floor
Posted by: 95CrownVictoriaP74

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 10:44 AM

Because Florida is flat and gasoline is double what it was a few short years ago, I never turn the overdrive off anymore.
Posted by: Crown Nick

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: 95CrownVictoriaP74
Because Florida is flat and gasoline is double what it was a few short years ago, I never turn the overdrive off anymore.

x2, just insert Houston for Florida. No need to turn it off around here and I never tow anything either. I suppose if I lived in a hilly or mountainous area I would turn it off.
Posted by: Ari

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 02:54 PM

Heh. The car is an automatic. Let the computer do the gear selection for you. If you wanted to control what gear you were in, you should have bought a car with a manual!

Re: Overdrive on or off for city/town driving? - 06/28/07 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Ari
Heh. The car is an automatic. Let the computer do the gear selection for you. If you wanted to control what gear you were in, you should have bought a car with a manual!

Yeah and the shift schedule sucks, thats why everybody loves there Xcal 2's so much.