Which throttle body to buy?...

Posted by: JMSA540

Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 01:36 AM

Hi, i would like to install a better performing throttle body, I was gonig to get the ford one ( http://www.adtr.net/media.php?loc=shop/images/Aviator_TB_500.jpg). Is this a good one to get? My next mods will be: dual exhaust, throttle body spacer, underdrive pulleys, and upper intake plenum... What will I notice with it?
Posted by: Bobert2647

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 01:38 AM

Go with the Aviator if you want to get off cheap. If you are willing to throw down some cash, go for the Accufab 70mm, they are around $230 on ebay.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 01:39 AM

what will give me the best performance?
Posted by: baravelli

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 01:51 AM

Not the Asian Aviator. At times, you do get what you pay for.
Your other upgrades are great.
Posted by: FunkRider

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 05:13 AM

I'd say the best value is the ones the guy is selling on ebay that have already been worked for more flow ala ported, halfshafted and knife edged. But you can't go wrong buying from chris at ADTR
Posted by: Quickvic30

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 05:27 AM

I would go with the Professional products 75mm TB and plenum, the combo is like a 199 bucks, thats CHEAP, and it flows very well. Accufab is always the best but it's alot of ching, but well worth it.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 05:36 AM

For your application 70mm is more than fine. 75mm may cause a drop in air velocity.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: FunkRider
For your application 70mm is more than fine. 75mm may cause a drop in air velocity.

I find this FALSE, but if you want get the 70mm TB and plenum from professional products.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 06:28 AM

Its a well documented fact that on an otherwise stock 4.6 70mm is plently.
Posted by: metroplex

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 08:08 AM

I have a new Aviator TB for sale. PM me if you're interested (it's also posted in the for sale forums). Price is negotiable.
Posted by: 96bluvic

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Quickvic30
I would go with the Professional products 75mm TB and plenum, the combo is like a 199 bucks, thats CHEAP, and it flows very well. Accufab is always the best but it's alot of ching, but well worth it.

X2 a 75mm will not hurt any performance, it will improve performance and is a smart mod if you plan on other mods in the future
Posted by: VA P71

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 05:25 PM

Mmmmmmmm....................pretty

Posted by: Sem_02TC

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 06:49 PM

That accufab looks sexy !
im getting mine hopefully sooner than later
let me know how the install went

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 07:39 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...35731794&rd=1,1

I was thinking about etting this... or should i just get the 75mm? wahts the difference? I want to get duals, throttlebody, plenum, throttle body spacer and then Ill be done with my car, so should I just stick with the 70mm?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: VA P71

Yep thats what you want to get. that thing is WAY shinier than mine.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 10:12 PM

Yep thats what you want to get. that thing is WAY shinier than mine.

Would this fit onto this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...44746068&rd=1,1
Posted by: Big_Bad_Joe

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/08/07 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: JMSA540
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140135731794&rd=1,1

I was thinking about etting this... or should i just get the 75mm? wahts the difference? I want to get duals, throttlebody, plenum, throttle body spacer and then Ill be done with my car, so should I just stick with the 70mm?

you know... this board has declined big time...

with all the bling bling dollars you are spending...

had you just gotten dual exhaust and a TUNE, you would see an actual increase in HP.. quite a bit to be exact

you are getting nothing out of all this but seat of the pants feel good..

if you get 2-3 hp out of a throttle body and playing with your intake you would be above average... the K&N zero to minus...

you want to see an actual result... put a proper dual exhaust on and get a tune....

then if you want play with the rest.. but this is completely backwards....
Posted by: baravelli

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 04:21 AM

Is this the flat earth society forum?
Throttle body spacers do add low RPM torque and improve fuel economy for daily drivers.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 10:35 AM

Quote:

you know... this board has declined big time...

with all the bling bling dollars you are spending...

had you just gotten dual exhaust and a TUNE, you would see an actual increase in HP.. quite a bit to be exact

you are getting nothing out of all this but seat of the pants feel good..

if you get 2-3 hp out of a throttle body and playing with your intake you would be above average... the K&N zero to minus...

you want to see an actual result... put a proper dual exhaust on and get a tune....

then if you want play with the rest.. but this is completely backwards....

I would definately recommend the Xcal II tune as the first and best MOD by far. But, that was not his question or the topic of the thread.

Having said that, JMSA540, save up for the tune/MM box zip tube. You will get performance you can feel and do the other MODs later.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: 2 Blue Merks
 Originally Posted By: baravelli
Throttle body spacers do add low RPM torque and improve fuel economy for daily drivers.

You forgot to add the part, "with carburated engines".

it doesnt ALWAYS do it carbed cars either... that depends on the intake setup... but why bother... this gets real old real fast .... spacers on a throttle bodied MAF System car... wow... thats just whack...

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 10:43 PM

O.K O.k i got a new one for ya, The ACCUFAB combo goes for around 400$( 70mm TB), and yea its nice, however ADTR upper planum around 160$ and aviator (70mm)TB about 80$ so its 240vs400$, now IS IT WORTH THE extra 160$ for accufab? besides it being all nice and shiny? i mean its simmilar gains, so let me know
and according to this u get abou 10hp and 15tourq http://www.americanmuscle.com/ac42v70thbop.html
and adtr planum you get 8-12hp 12-15tourqe and than the TB

Also the avaitor tb is obviously better than the stock one correct? so why is it for 70$ and others for 200$????

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 10:52 PM

It seems to me that the stock non PI 4.6 cars are not hurting for more induction stock. The PI cars seem to enjoy the upgrade much more.
Posted by: BBereziuk

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 10:58 PM

to me a 70mm TB is a 70mm TB, even if you got a cheaper one you can always polish the ports on it and make it nice looking, sometimes i think you only paying for a name but thats me.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 10:59 PM

So let me hear the recommendations lol

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 11:03 PM

summit makes a good one for 160 bucks, i would go with that, or if you wanted a little more "bling" a BBK is also not that bad of a price, also Holly makes one for the 4.6's and is really nice looking, for about the same price as a BBK.
Posted by: brake.turn.gas

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Bad_Joe
if you get 2-3 hp out of a throttle body and playing with your intake you would be above average...

On a stock 4.6 I would have to agree.

I would say gears, exhaust, tune...done.
Posted by: dcninja

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/09/07 11:37 PM

i got a 70 and noticed zero gain... the aviator one, but hey, maybe it's a very small gain, i haven't dynoed it...

as for gears, prepare to eat more gas... i kept the stock 3.27 p71 gears and that's more than plenty for my daily driver... i've got ported plenum, underdrives, 93 octane tune, colder thermo, intake, and a few other things, it's quick enough for a big car... you're only gonna make it so fast and still keep it NA. If you want to hurt long term reliability and it's NOT your daily... go nitrous or supercharged.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 12:49 AM

i got 3.55 trac-lok and i love it i think the gas mileage is very good, and also its all how you drive, im pretty throtle heavy at times, and it takes off nicely compared to my 94LX that had the slower gears in it.
Posted by: luv-my-2002-p71

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Sem
So let me hear the recommendations lol

BBK

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:24 AM

Quote:
Having said that, JMSA540, save up for the tune/MM box zip tube. You will get performance you can feel and do the other MODs later.

Why so you can send out for a new tune everytime you do a new mod, yeah that sounds like fun.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:29 AM

O.K O.k i got a new one for ya, The ACCUFAB combo goes for around 400$( 70mm TB), and yea its nice, however ADTR upper planum around 160$ and aviator (70mm)TB about 80$ so its 240vs400$, now IS IT WORTH THE extra 160$ for accufab? besides it being all nice and shiny? i mean its simmilar gains, so let me know
and according to this u get abou 10hp and 15tourq http://www.americanmuscle.com/ac42v70thbop.html
and adtr planum you get 8-12hp 12-15tourqe and than the TB

Also the avaitor tb is obviously better than the stock one correct? so why is it for 70$ and others for 200$????

Go to their web site and look at the flow numbers and you tell me if its worth the extra 160 buck, sorry to be so rude but the accufab outflows ALL other plenums. http://www.accufabracing.com

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:31 AM

So, quickvic30... the accufab plenum and throttle bodya rethe bet to buy? What about throttle body spacers?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:43 AM

Here ya guys go heres the truth

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:45 AM

What do the inches number mean?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:45 AM

So, quickvic30... the accufab plenum and throttle bodya rethe bet to buy? What about throttle body spacers?

The spacers are already built into the accufab plenum, do to WAY more plenum volume;) (way bigger plenum)

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:48 AM

oh, alright, well thats good. \:\)

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:49 AM

so should i get a 75 mm or just stick with the 70mm? Will this increase my mpgs? Also, will my K&N intake fit this, too?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:56 AM

thats very informative, good stuff to hold on too sense TB are pretty common topic.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BBereziuk
thats very informative, good stuff to hold on too sense TB are pretty common topic.

Yeah I though some people on here would like that.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 02:01 AM

so should i get a 75 mm or just stick with the 70mm? Will this increase my mpgs? Also, will my K&N intake fit this, too?

I would get the 70mm in your case, it flows dam near the same as the 75mm anyways. The accufab will just make the k&n feel even better, and your MPG wil increase also.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 02:02 AM

A MOD should sticky thread that flow chart!

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 02:03 AM

im probly just going to buy the summit 70mm when i get MM AIRBOX/MAF and tune with the zip tube, maybe a ported plenum. maybe even 24lb injectors.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 02:10 AM

thats alot of maybe's dude. You don't need 24#ers with no real mods, 19#'s are good to 300-325 hp, unless you plan on a BIG powwer adder don't waste the money.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:07 AM

thats what i was also thinking, but im deff. getting the air box, tune, 70mm, and 04' zip tube, and in the spring a PI head and intake swap.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:27 AM

these arent good?

http://www.car-stuff.com/performance/quo...94&skipped=true

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 09:25 AM

That flow chart is for a Mustang though which benefit a lot more from any intake changes.

yup mustang with headers, better intake and A TUNE DUDES.. a TUNE

anyone out there? you know pluto is still there just not listed as a planet... too weak now but guess what.. take a rocket out in space keep the eyes open.. its still plenty big...

without a way to take advantage of the air what do you do with it?

sigh

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 10:50 AM

Quote:

Why so you can send out for a new tune everytime you do a new mod, yeah that sounds like fun.

What mods need a new tune? All of the stuff mentioned would not require a new tune.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 11:13 AM

That flow chart is for a Mustang though which benefit a lot more from any intake changes.

aaahhhh NO those flow numbers are NOT from a mustang.
Posted by: mblazakep

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 12:05 PM

i would like to see a flow chart for the PI intake, getting all that air through the TB and plenum is no good unless the intake can match it.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:35 PM

They used A FLOWBENCH, NO CAR INVOLVED, SIEH

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:38 PM

Quote:
What mods need a new tune? All of the stuff mentioned would not require a new tune.

DUDE that is one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard. ANYTIME you increase the airflow you SHOULD get a tune for it to run proper.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:40 PM

Quote:
A TUNE DUDES.. a TUNE

DUDE I GOT A CHIP with 3 tunes on it, LOL

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:46 PM

Quote:

DUDE that is one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard.

Sorry, I thought I typed it.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 03:47 PM

Talking to Lonnie previously, I believe he said I wouldn't need a new tune after the TB/plenum install. Maybe he can clarify that for me.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 04:26 PM

VA P71 ive heard the same thing, i mean logically your not changing any electronics like MAF, just the amount of air that already is going in, to the mixture

i look at it this way stock stuff its like breathing through a straw, all the aftermarket you breath with an open mouth,
lol

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 04:46 PM

Talking to Lonnie previously, I believe he said I wouldn't need a new tune after the TB/plenum install. Maybe he can clarify that for me.

Fine do what you want retard!

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 04:48 PM

Sorry that was mean, but to get the most out of a TB/plenum install you should get a tune, But if you don't want the best bang then don't get a tune.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 04:50 PM

Quote:
i look at it this way stock stuff its like breathing through a straw, all the aftermarket you breath with an open mouth,
lol

Atleast someone knows what there talking about!

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 07:43 PM

Quote:

you dont need a tune to use the mod in question can you guys read? good grief!!! no one is saying you NEED it

just that you are adding a part that won't do jack ok...

spending hundreds for 1hp... a tune will get you 10-20hp... then add the other crap

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 07:49 PM

Quote:

Fine do what you want retard!

OK, piss off

Quote:
but to get the most out of a TB/plenum install you should get a tune
OK, sounds like good advice

Quote:
Atleast someone knows what there talking about!

Dude, I'm here because I DON'T what I'm talking about with CVs and I try to get advice from anyone who can offer it. If I get contradictory information I would like clarification. WTFs your issue?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 10:49 PM

O.K so you guys totally lost me, Accufab combo TB and Planum, i install it easy swap, DO I NEED A TUNE TO GET THE MOST POWER??? and a tune as in xcal2? what should i tell them to do on it?
Posted by: dRock96Marquis

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/10/07 11:01 PM

A throttle body and/or plenum upgrade does not require tuning.

However, with many engine upgrades that doesn't mean that tuning cannot be enhanced to better compliment the new bolt-on. Again, it's not required, though. I don't think you'd notice a difference after being retuned for a new plenum, which is why Lonnie said you don't need to. Besides that - although the plenum can now flow more, the MAF will still read exactly how much air is coming through to the engine so the PCM will know there is more airflow coming in......

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 12:15 AM

Quote:
WTFs your issue?

Yeah I'm sorry about that I was in a bad Mood at work, cars they just make me so angry somtimes.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 03:54 AM

O.K so you guys totally lost me, Accufab combo TB and Planum, i install it easy swap, DO I NEED A TUNE TO GET THE MOST POWER??? and a tune as in xcal2? what should i tell them to do on it?

Any aftermarket plenum is not a bolt on swap as they are designed for the mustang. They will fit with some carefull mods. For a fool proof install get a ADTR ported plenum. The accufab will outflow a ported stocker but its nothing you'll notice if your not taking your car very far with modifications.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: FunkRider

Any aftermarket plenum is not a bolt on swap as they are designed for the mustang. They will fit with some carefull mods. For a fool proof install get a ADTR ported plenum. The accufab will outflow a ported stocker but its nothing you'll notice if your not taking your car very far with modifications.

What "careful mods" are you talking about?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 08:14 AM

Quote:

What "careful mods" are you talking about?

To install the Accufab you'll need to cut a 90* vacuum tube to make it straight and re-route some air lines. It's easy to do and there are instructions for it.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis
A throttle body and/or plenum upgrade does not require tuning.

However, with many engine upgrades that doesn't mean that tuning cannot be enhanced to better compliment the new bolt-on. Again, it's not required, though. I don't think you'd notice a difference after being retuned for a new plenum, which is why Lonnie said you don't need to. Besides that - although the plenum can now flow more, the MAF will still read exactly how much air is coming through to the engine so the PCM will know there is more airflow coming in......

yes and if that is a stock MAF on the vic, and stock programming... so what? 1hp maybe... on a good day....

that is the point isn't it!

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 11:21 AM

Quote:
Any aftermarket plenum is not a bolt on swap as they are designed for the mustang. They will fit with some carefull mods.

Actually they are a DIRECT bolt on, you have to T in 1 vacum line, that direct bolt on in my eyes.
Posted by: modified93tc

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 12:53 PM

you wont gain anything but a lighter wallet. Spend the money on a tune.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 07/11/07 01:06 PM

Save a TB and plenum mod for after gears, exhaust, and a tune.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/16/07 01:08 AM

Does this already have the "spacer" built into it?
Posted by: music_warrior

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/16/07 05:00 AM

I read somewhere that it does. No need for extra spacers. At least as far as the Accufab goes.

Myself, I'm thinking of getting the C&L plenum with a BBK 75mm tb. I'd love to go with the full Accufab kit but it's just so much bling and $$$.

At least, after I get my HPP swaybar, Gatorback and tensioner. First thing's first... those are probably more worthwhile items for the meantime.
Posted by: VIP_CHP

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/16/07 03:18 PM

I'm really a newb to the 4.6... but where i come from we put everyting on the engine first then get it tuned... or is this tune u guys are talking about limited to spicific things...oh btw, I was thinking about getting the PI intake manni, Steeda intake spacer, ADTR upper plenium, debating on getting aviator throttle body, with MM intake, and full exhaust, then get a tune... BUT WHERE THE HELL WOULD I GO TO TUNE MY CAR? Im brand new to the ford fam and i live in cali...or can i just get a tuned ecu already? Id rather go somewhere where they would tune according to what i have though but i don't know where...
Posted by: music_warrior

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/16/07 05:03 PM

Most of us get the XCAL2 unit from Blue Oval Chips. It lends itself to a lot of adjustability and usefulness in the future. Plug in, program, unplug and go. \:\)

You should see if you can get in on another group buy of the Marauder airboxes/XCAL2's. Best way to go.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/16/07 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: music_jim
You should see if you can get in on another group buy of the Marauder airboxes

X2 I could go for that. I'm getting the itch for the MZT. I got the Z already, just need a damn tune so I can do 3.55's.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/17/07 09:39 PM

Okay here is a question for you guys... Let's say that I do get the Accufab throttle body/ported and polished plenum that VAp71 got...
( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACCUFAB-F...sspagenameZWDVW )

Would there be any more "pressure" on the intake manifold and have a better chance of it cracking or breaking?... I mean i am bringing more air into the manifold, correct?

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/17/07 10:12 PM

Would there be any more "pressure" on the intake manifold and have a better chance of it cracking or breaking?... I mean i am bringing more air into the manifold, correct?

No theres not that much more air, now if it were a turbo, blower or Nitrous car then you would have to worry about absolute manifold pressure. The COOLANT crossover is usually were the intake cracks.

Re: Which throttle body to buy?... - 08/18/07 12:01 AM

Okay, thanks. \:\)