Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS

Posted by: ScottH

Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 05/24/21 08:33 PM

Ultimate Edition, Norsea Blue, not quite 64,000 miles.

It also has brand new General Altimax RT43 tires on it. Those are good touring tires with decent snow performance. I know because I just put some on my Cougar last winter.

This was a Fleet vehicle and was very well maintained. It does ride quite a bit stiffer than I expected. Did Fleet vehicles get HD shocks and or springs? (noobie question)

Scott
Posted by: Davidzq

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 05/24/21 08:44 PM

There's no "fleet" version of the Grand Marquis.
But there is the Performance Package.
Does the car have dual exhaust? Do you know the gear ratio?

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 05/24/21 09:01 PM

Ok. Was just going by the Carfax which stated it was used as a fleet vehicle for most of its life. No dual exhaust.

Maybe the previous owner put something stiffer on it. It's not as stiff as the CVPI I rode in but definitely stiffer than other GM's I've driven. /shrug Not complaining, it just seemed odd.

I sure wish they'd have put a rear sway bar on it, though. Drives fine until you take a sharp turn then Holy body roll, Batman!

^ first upgrade
Posted by: Davidzq

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 05/24/21 09:46 PM

I'm guessing it has rear coil springs, while others you drove had rear Air suspension?

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 05/25/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By Davidzq
I'm guessing it has rear coil springs, while others you drove had rear Air suspension?

Ah. Yes it does.

Ridden in a few panthers but never owned one so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
Posted by: Old_Guy_Stu

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 05/25/21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By ScottH
Ok. Was just going by the Carfax which stated it was used as a fleet vehicle for most of its life.

Fleet vehicle could mean anything. PD, taxi, rental, or some mid-level executive's company car. All it really means there's a corporation as the named owner in the title history.

Welcome to the madness.

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 07/05/21 12:40 AM

I'm starting to collect parts for the 1st upgrades.

Front & rear sway bars from ADTR (on waiting list for the front), new Ford Performance trac-lok, 3.27 gears (up from 2.73 but still need decent hwy mileage) and a Ford Master Rebuild Kit for the 8.8.

Will be contacting Marty before the rear end parts go in.

Tint & New Stereo hopefully before Fall.
Posted by: GrumpMarky

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 07/25/21 02:14 PM

Ah. Yes it does.

Ridden in a few panthers but never owned one so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Back in '04 the Ultimate LS would have had the hpp; air springs, hd sway bars etc. But by '09 who knows??

You could get a Marti report and see exactly what your car originally came with.
Posted by: Kitulu

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 07/25/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By GrumpMarky

Ah. Yes it does.

Back in '04 the Ultimate LS would have had the hpp; air springs, hd sway bars etc. But by '09 who knows??

You could get a Marti report and see exactly what your car originally came with.

What is a Marti report, and how does one go about getting one?
Posted by: Old_Guy_Stu

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 07/25/21 09:15 PM

Kevin Marti bought all of Ford's 1967-2017 production records, and puts together a neat little fact sheet for your car. For instance, I now know my car is one of 12,109 they painted Oxford White in 1988. The report also tells you what your car had when it left the factory.

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

If you don't have the window sticker, you can order one here:

https://monroneylabels.com/

Cheaper than a Marti Report, but without the fun statistics.
Posted by: MIAMI-DADE

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 08/15/21 08:42 AM

Welcome from Miami Beach!

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 10/18/21 12:45 AM

The parts (new Ford Performance trac-lok, fully rebuilt 8.8 rear axle, Ford Racing 3.31 gears, ADTR rear sway bar & Marty tune) have been installed for a few months now. They made a night & day difference. I actually enjoy driving the car now. Well, except for the seats. No bolstering = sliding around in the turns.

Chris is getting the 1st batch of front bars in soon and I just ordered one to match the rear.
Posted by: SlowV8

Re: Finally bought a panther - 2009 Grand Marquis LS - 12/02/21 11:37 AM

There's no "fleet" version of the Grand Marquis.
But there is the Performance Package.
Does the car have dual exhaust? Do you know the gear ratio?

This reminds me of the James May article about the Grand Marquis that he rented. He ended up liking it.