Cruise Control

Posted by: Tom_Schulzte

Cruise Control - 09/12/07 04:28 PM

Hey everyone, I am a proud owner of a 2000 Crown Vic. and my only complaint is that it doesn't have cruise control. After searching all over the internet looking for solutions, I came across this website, and have just joined. You all seem very knowledgable about your cars, and I need some advice as to how I can get my car to cruise down the freeway in comfort. I have looked through a lot of posts already and couldn't find any previous posts on this subject- so forgive me if it has been discussed somewhere else. I appreciate any and all advice!
Posted by: Spock

Re: Cruise Control - 09/12/07 11:14 PM

I'm sure there are some after market cruise control kits that you can purchase for the vic. Perhaps some parts stores have some in stock, or there are many purchasable on the internet.

Cheers,
~Spock

This was posted in another thread:
http://www.p71interceptor.com/cruise/

Re: Cruise Control - 09/13/07 10:28 AM

Thanks Spock, that link was great. It had everything I wanted to know. Now, should I let my mechanic order these parts for me, or can I do it? If so, who or what should I call?
Posted by: STARMAN

Re: Cruise Control - 09/13/07 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom_Schulzte
Hey everyone, I am a proud owner of a 2000 Crown Vic. and my only complaint is that it doesn't have cruise control. After searching all over the internet looking for solutions, I came across this website, and have just joined. You all seem very knowledgable about your cars, and I need some advice as to how I can get my car to cruise down the freeway in comfort. I have looked through a lot of posts already and couldn't find any previous posts on this subject- so forgive me if it has been discussed somewhere else. I appreciate any and all advice!

Tom,

I have a 2000 CVPI which I put the cruise on myself. I bought a steering wheel off someone here and then bought all the parts for under the hood. here is where I may be able to help you. When I looked under the hood, it was already there, so once I hooked up the steering wheel, I had cruise control.

I have all the parts for under the hood brand new from my Ford dealer. I got a deal on it and can pass on the savings. For you to buy the parts would cost you about 300.00. I can sell you mine for $200 plus shipping. Let me know, but check under your hood to make sure you don't already have the parts there. PM me if I can help further.

Re: Cruise Control - 09/14/07 10:44 AM

Thanks Dave, I will check it out with my car and get back to you. That would be sweet if it would be that easy for my car too. But thanks for the offer, and I'll get back to you.
Posted by: mblazakep

Re: Cruise Control - 09/14/07 02:06 PM

no need for stinkin aftermarket parts!
and to CVN.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/cruise/

Re: Cruise Control - 09/17/07 09:17 PM

Dave, I checked out my car, and verified it with a mechanic- no need for the parts described at the p71 website. it is a sweet deal, so thanks for the info. i will order the steering wheel and be on my way. thanks again!
Posted by: SRV1

Re: Cruise Control - 09/17/07 10:47 PM

What? Let me get this straight, everything is there for the cruise control and all you need to do is put on a steering wheel with cruise control? Is it like that in my 03?

James
Posted by: BYLFYL

Re: Cruise Control - 09/17/07 11:04 PM

Seriously, what about on an 01'. Just the steering wheel is all I would need?
Posted by: mblazakep

Re: Cruise Control - 09/18/07 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: SRV1
What? Let me get this straight, everything is there for the cruise control and all you need to do is put on a steering wheel with cruise control? Is it like that in my 03?

Originally Posted By: BYLFYL

not always, some cars come with the cruise servo/acuator and bracket some don't (open your hood and look), all the cars listed in my above link come with the wiring factory installed.

Re: Cruise Control - 09/18/07 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom_Schulzte
Dave, I checked out my car, and verified it with a mechanic- no need for the parts described at the p71 website. it is a sweet deal, so thanks for the info. i will order the steering wheel and be on my way. thanks again!

Ok Tom, I have found that the cruise in the Vic is the most accurate of any car I have owned.

Re: Cruise Control - 09/18/07 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: mblazakep

not always, some cars come with the cruise servo/acuator and bracket some don't (open your hood and look), all the cars listed in my above link come with the wiring factory installed.

So you are saying somee have the wiring and some have the wiring AND the servo?

James

Re: Cruise Control - 09/18/07 08:31 PM

James

James,

All Vics have the wiring, but not all Vics have the stuff under the hood. My CVPI had the stuff under the hood, but not the steering wheel. I think FHP changed out the steering wheel before sending the car to auction to have a spare. Hope this helps.

Re: Cruise Control - 09/18/07 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: STARMAN

James

James,

All Vics have the wiring, but not all Vics have the stuff under the hood. My CVPI had the stuff under the hood, but not the steering wheel. I think FHP changed out the steering wheel before sending the car to auction to have a spare. Hope this helps.

I highly doubt Ford would put the servo if the car was ordered without cruise. So all I would need is the servo and the steering wheel to make it cruise? I see your link above but that is for a 98 so I do not know if that would apply to mine since mine is a 03. I will check tomorrow to see if it has the servo anyways.

James

Re: Cruise Control - 09/19/07 08:00 AM

I highly doubt Ford would put the servo if the car was ordered without cruise. So all I would need is the servo and the steering wheel to make it cruise? I see your link above but that is for a 98 so I do not know if that would apply to mine since mine is a 03. I will check tomorrow to see if it has the servo anyways.

James

James you need four parts for under the hood:
1: Servo
2: cable
3: two part bracket that holds the servo

Re: Cruise Control - 09/19/07 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: STARMAN

James

James you need four parts for under the hood:
1: Servo
2: cable
3: two part bracket that holds the servo

Cool! Junkyards have tons of Panther platforms just not many of 98 and up CV's or GM's.

Thanks for the heads up!

James
Posted by: BBereziuk

Re: Cruise Control - 09/20/07 09:33 PM

i wish my 2000 have cruise what did you look for so you know what your lookin at, got some pics someone!!!!

Re: Cruise Control - 09/21/07 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BBereziuk
i wish my 2000 have cruise what did you look for so you know what your lookin at, got some pics someone!!!!

Brandon,

The wife has the car for the night, II will take a pic or two tomorrow and post it for you.
Posted by: James07753

Re: Cruise Control - 05/07/10 06:10 PM

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum & this is my first post.

I have a 2003 P71 Crown Vic. It does not have cruise control. I am interested in adding it. I read a little in the forums here.

I popped the hood & there is no cruise control already installed, but there appears to be the wiring harness.

What would I need to add cruise control? My brother is a mechanic (not for Ford). He called ford & was told I would need to change the steering collumn, computer, wiring harness because they are not compatible, the steering wheel, etc & it would be extremely expensive. That does not appear to be the case from what I have been reading. Does anybody have the part numbers I would need? I would even be happy with an after-market non-ford one. I am driving to Niagara Falls in July & would like the cruise control for the 8-hr ride each way. Thank you. You can e-mail me at jamezynj@aol.com also. Thanks.
Posted by: Tracy

Re: Cruise Control - 05/08/10 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: James07753
Hi everybody. I am new to this forum & this is my first post.

I have a 2003 P71 Crown Vic. It does not have cruise control. I am interested in adding it. I read a little in the forums here.

I popped the hood & there is no cruise control already installed, but there appears to be the wiring harness.

What would I need to add cruise control? My brother is a mechanic (not for Ford). He called ford & was told I would need to change the steering collumn, computer, wiring harness because they are not compatible, the steering wheel, etc & it would be extremely expensive. That does not appear to be the case from what I have been reading. Does anybody have the part numbers I would need? I would even be happy with an after-market non-ford one. I am driving to Niagara Falls in July & would like the cruise control for the 8-hr ride each way. Thank you. You can e-mail me at jamezynj@aol.com also. Thanks.

Don't order from FORD, as you found out it's expensive. Try looking in the For sale section here for anyone parting out a Vic or MGM with cruise and get the needed components, ebay may be of some help to you also.

http://p71interceptor.com/cruise/ has the part numbers (Ford part #) needed to add cruise to a 1998-2004 CV or MGM
Posted by: nonedead

Re: Cruise Control - 05/18/10 12:36 PM

Hi everyone, This is my first post here.

I have a 2006 P71 Crown Vic. Mine also does not have cruise control. I saw that the p71interceptor.com site only has part numbers up to '03. Does anyone have any information on adding cruise control to a '06 P71?
Posted by: ToadyTwoStep

Re: Cruise Control - 05/18/10 12:46 PM

Believe it's steering wheel and re-programming at the dealer.