1991 Country Squire LX

Posted by: a_d_a_m

1991 Country Squire LX - 05/26/17 05:59 PM

Some of you may be aware of this, but for those who aren't, I bought pantera77's 1991 Country Squire last night. You can check his old thread over on GMN for some of the tech info as well as his much more detailed story about how HE bought it.

Basically, my story is much more simple. I sold the G20 van because I wanted a wagon. Texted Zach and asked him if he knew of any running wagons for CVN money. He offered his '91 for more than CVN money but still in my budget.

The basics are as follows: lopo 5.0 block, HO heads/intake/cam, Explorer TB, TB spacer, '04+ airbox, 3G alternator, sway bars, cargo coils, wide-ratio AOD, Lentech valve body. Interior is mint with upgraded speakers. Underneath is pretty clean due to Zach's regular Fluid Film applications each fall. Body has a mouse hole on the passenger side and some bubbling under the wood grain in spots, but overall still presents well. Oh, and there's like zero clearcoat left. Thanks, Ford.

Anyway, I conned my dad into driving his Mustang even though it was raining from Chicago to Rochester. His car is lowered and quite fun to drive, and I knew NY-5 would be a nice road to cruise even in the rain. Plus, he'd just put new calipers on the front (evidenced by the red in front and blue in back - will be fixed soon) and I figured we may as well road test it.

We got to Buffalo without issue, aside from a ton of rain. The mosquitoes were biting pretty good when we got there, but we got a tour of the field and barn, and saw his minty Town Car. Sadly, I didn't take pictures.

Did a quick test drive, exchanged money for title, and hit the road.

Stopped at a beer store to buy some NY-specific beer and snapped this picture.

After snapping it, a drunk bro and his girlfriend came out and he flipped his ass over the car. He grabbed someone (friend? stranger? who knows) to snap a picture of them standing next to the tailgate...

I pulled 91.7FM out of Canada all the way to the PA/NY state line. Fittingly, the last tune I heard was by Canadian hero Kim Mitchell...

Got some gas once we got into Ohio - 21.49mpg for the Squire, 22.donotremember for the GT.

The guy in the blue jacket below was REALLY into the Squire. He followed me almost into the bathroom asking me questions about it. quagmire

Anyway, the trip was super easy and Zach is a reputable seller if anyone is ever in the market and still has regular contact with him.

I snapped the following pictures about an hour ago:

Posted by: bluejay_32

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 05/26/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
I pulled 91.7FM out of Canada all the way to the PA/NY state line. Fittingly, the last tune I heard was by Canadian hero Kim Mitchell...

I thought you'd be more of a Lager and Ale guy. laugh

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 05/26/17 08:10 PM

Might as well go for soda.
Posted by: bluejay_32

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 05/26/17 08:28 PM

I see what you did there. Well played.
Posted by: reminc70

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 05/29/17 12:14 AM

Man, these wagons have really grown on me. I remember them being extremely 2un-cool (specifically anything with fake wood) in the 90's and early 2000's. I guess they get better with age, or I'm becoming nostalgic as I age.

Either way, excellent purchase. Any immediate plans or are you keeping it as is for now?
Posted by: hot__box

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 05/29/17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By reminc70
Man, these wagons have really grown on me. I remember them being extremely 2un-cool (specifically anything with fake wood) in the 90's and early 2000's. I guess they get better with age, or I'm becoming nostalgic as I age.

I've never been a fan of wagons. but i love classics, especially boxes. and at this point, to me a wagon in good shape is another classic.

nice buy, adam. but no pics of the interior ? rip-off... laugh

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 05/30/17 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By garndreadz
no pics of the interior ? rip-off...
I've been on vacation all week. You guys are lucky I even posted/approved new members & classified ads. laugh
Posted by: GrumpMarky

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 06/02/17 08:13 AM

Congrats Adam! double thumbs

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you toolin' around Lake County in it. cool2
Posted by: Rodman

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 06/04/17 12:24 PM

Adam, I'm 100% jealous. That thing looks brand-new in the pics you've taken.

I love wagons. Back in '68, my Dad purchased a new Mercury for the family with a 390 2 bbl. Yeah, 2. Solid white, and had great acceleration, even with a 2 bbl. We drove that tank from Shreveport, LA to Los Angeles in the summer of '69 to see family friends, and of course go to Disneyland. God, what a trip. Worst part was having to use empty Shasta cans for a bathroom.... Ugliness.

My brother tried to kill it when he was at college in the late 70's. He ran it off the road after consuming his body weight in beer, ripping off the drivers side front fender. Dad replaced the fender, took the wagon away from him, and sold it for $500. Good times... LOL

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 06/06/17 04:22 PM

Hahaha! Was it 3.2% beer or real beer?

This car gets more attention than any other car I've ever owned. I get stopped in traffic, at gas stations, etc. on a daily basis.

It's pretty fun.
Posted by: 2kGM

Re: 1991 Country Squire LX - 06/06/17 04:50 PM

Yeah, these have finally crossed the border from 'too dorky to ever be cool' to 'so dorky it's inherently cool.' Right in there with Edsels, Pacers, and yes, old woodie wagons which have all gone through this evolution in their day.