68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install

Posted by: DesertRatRacer

68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/18/18 07:03 AM

The Title is a little generic, but it gets the point across.

Basically I'm taking a 1968 Mercury Montego MX Station Wagon Unibody that has been damaged / unsafe to really drive, and then Installing a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis Ls Frame and powertrain in it. I wanted to do a forum post showing the whole process I'm going through to possible help others, and get some help myself.

I'll post some pictures below of the cars before being taken apart, and some more backstory to everything. I'm also doing youtube videos showing a lot of the process and interesting things I'm finding out along the way. The first Video below is basically an introduction to the cars, and getting them ready to be taken apart.

A long time ago I wanted to put a frame under this 1968 Mercury Montego Station Wagon. At the time my dad ended up getting the wagon back from me. Many years has passed, and the car broke another axle of many and hit the ground hard. After this last hit it left the car pretty out of wack, not counting many of the other subframe problems. It needed a new sub frame or some serious straightening work. He decided he didn't want to mess with the job and gave me back the car. Now after the current damage I was 100% ready to try the frame install. With a lot of thought and measuring I decided that the modern Crown Victoria Chassis would be a great fit. Its very close in track width, and the wheelbase is only off around 3/4 in. give or take. The Mercury Montego is very similar to other cars like the Ford Torino, Ford Falcon, Ford Fairlane, Mercury Comet, Mercury Cyclone and other Ford unibody cars around 1968.

This is going to be a full build series showing how I plan to get through mounting the frame to the unibody chassis. I will be using a 2001 Mercury Marquis LS as it is basically exactly the same as a Crown Victoria. The Grand Marquis was bought for $500 and had an additional $100 put into it to get everything going good. It basically needed a lot of body work that was not cost effective to fix. With that and other factors it made it the perfect donor vehicle to fix the wagon at a decent price. This marquis had rear air bags, 3.55 gear ratio, and dual exhaust giving it a lot of great additional options to start with, not counting the 4.6 ford that has a huge aftermarket parts list, 4 wheel disc brakes with abs and traction control. The station wagon was bought by my dad in the early 90's for $100 and has been in my family driving for over 25 years. I remember being taken to 2nd grade in the 90's with the wagon and all my school years after. I learned a lot about working on cars from all the work I helped my dad with on it growing up. It really means a lot to me to be able to bring it back to life, and keep it going for many years to come.

This first video will be the introduction to show you both vehicles and getting them ready to be taken apart for the chassis swap. Many videos are to come with the crown vic frame swap, and all the performance upgrades later... If You have any questions or need help with anything then just ask. I will help with anything I can.

Posted by: a_d_a_m

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/19/18 04:19 PM

Please tell me the Montego is going to get Cyclone stripes.
Posted by: BigNSlow

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/19/18 06:38 PM

Why not 2003+ frame to get the benefits of rack and pinion and better handling?

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/19/18 08:37 PM

I'm guessing because the car was cheap and available.
Posted by: Cheapthrillp71

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/20/18 10:04 PM

I started a similar project years ago with an 07 p71 and a 66 Galaxie. Got the p71 frame done to match the Galaxie, but the Galaxie itself just ended up being to rotten to follow through with.

Good luck on your swap. Looking forward to updates.
Posted by: rswinks

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/22/18 10:29 AM

Looks like one heck of a project. Certainly going to be following this thread.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/22/18 01:00 PM

Doing something similar. 2000 CV frame for a 85 Country Squire. Using a 4.6 32V motor though. I guess I should start posting pics too.

I didn't choose the 2003+ as I wanted to keep the turbines. Unfortunately without the bigger brakes too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve
Posted by: BigMerc96

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/22/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By SteveH
Doing something similar. 2000 CV frame for a 85 Country Squire. Using a 4.6 32V motor though. I guess I should start posting pics too.

I didn't choose the 2003+ as I wanted to keep the turbines. Unfortunately without the bigger brakes too.

Steve
Please tell me you are at least going to use '95-'97 brakes and not box brakes. '95-'97 front brakes will clear the 15" wheels, and they're a direct swap for the '98-'02 stuff, only need to change out the calipers/pads/rotors and the brake hoses. Technically you also need to change the hubs, but as I discovered when I put '98-'02 hubs on my '97, you can simply shim out the caliper bracket by about 1/16" from the spindle and smaller brakes will center up fine with the larger newer style hubs. I have large fender washers between the bracket and spindle, been that way for years, but definitely would be a "WTF?" moment if anyone but me ever does the brakes on that car.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/22/18 05:41 PM

The answer is... YES! And that was a good comment.

I have all new stuff 95-97 brakes and have a set of 98+ brakes as well if I ever want to go with 16 and loose the turbines and 15s.

You made a good point about the hub and offset of the rotor with the interference of the caliper and provide a great solution. I saw that too when playing around with my parts. The 98+ hubs are thicker and hold the 95 to 97 rotor further out. I think the +98 hubs would be better but I have the 95 to 97 one in there now and they are new. If there ever fails i will use the +98 as replacements and shims for the caliper. Im using new hoses too.

Steve

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/22/18 07:02 PM

So why the 2000 frame? Was the frame on the wagon rotted? It's a lot of work to only gain watts link.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/23/18 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By a_d_a_m
Please tell me the Montego is going to get Cyclone stripes.

I didn't give it much thought but that would be cool. I do kinda want to fix all the body damage, but leave it aged and ratty looking. Adding some aged stripes on that might be a possibility.

Originally Posted By BigNSlow
Why not 2003+ frame to get the benefits of rack and pinion and better handling?

I'm guessing because the car was cheap and available.

Adam basically hit it spot on, I was kinda in a hurry to find a good car, and the cheaper the better. Also I heard that some of the 2003+ had problems with frontend and steering rack wearing out quick. Also I didn't want any with the drive by wire, or any car so nice that I didn't want to rip it apart.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/23/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By Cheapthrillp71
I started a similar project years ago with an 07 p71 and a 66 Galaxie. Got the p71 frame done to match the Galaxie, but the Galaxie itself just ended up being to rotten to follow through with.

Good luck on your swap. Looking forward to updates.

Thanks, that sucks with the galaxie, I think I seen something very similar in a junkyard video on YouTube. Should have another big update and video again soon. Almost done with disassembly and prep with both cars. Then after a couple more things can start test fitting the fit.

Originally Posted By rswinks
Looks like one heck of a project. Certainly going to be following this thread.

Yea, a few times I've wondered what I'm getting my self into, but just got to keep moving forward. It's going pretty smooth so far, the next big step is trying to raise and lower the body on the frame multiple times for fitment. I think my best budget option right now is to try some camper jacks. Looking at getting some tomorrow. Cool, glad you're following.

Steve

Nice, definitely should share, the more info floating around the better. I wouldn't mind doing a 32v too, but not sure if that fits into my budget right now. Plus the 2v hits peak torque quicker, so might be a plus till I can afford to really build an engine. I'm guessing the turbines are the wheels? Thanks definitely going to keep everyone posted.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/23/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By DesertRatRacer
Adam basically hit it spot on, I was kinda in a hurry to find a good car, and the cheaper the better. Also I heard that some of the 2003+ had problems with frontend and steering rack wearing out quick. Also I didn't want any with the drive by wire, or any car so nice that I didn't want to rip it apart.

2003-2004 are not drive by wire. Never heard about steering rack issues but they are dime a dozen and can be had for cheap.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/23/18 05:17 PM

yes.. the 85 wagon has some rot on the passengers front rail. I would have to droop a bit of the frame to get at it anyways. It is repairable - i can weld and ect but uncertain what i will find when i get into it. It held dirt between the side of the frame rail and sill rail so it gonna be a bit of work.

The 2000 P71 was bought for the transmission and drive shaft and other little parts. It was vandalize. An $800 car and sold $794 worth of parts off of it. I just happen to keep the frame and 3.55 rear end.
Posted by: GrandMarq9807

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/24/18 12:06 PM

How are you planning on fitting the unibody to the CV chassis??? If lower section of the wagon is rotten, I'd look at cutting out the floor pan & welding body to MGM floor pan...

That basically how a Dodge Charger General Lee was constructed using a '99 CVPI donor...

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/24/18 09:04 PM

The rest of the wagon’s body is really really good shape. Floorboards wheel arches everything else are fine. I found a grand Marquis In the junkyard that was in immaculate shape and I took the saws all and cut out the sills along the floor boards and dogleg. I will just drill out the spot welds and cut up mine the same way and Weld them in. I’ll do that before I lift the car from those spots. It’s a lot of work but I think the car is worth it

[img]https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/99W4Zf[/img]
Posted by: 124neta

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/24/18 09:58 PM

I like these projects. A lot.

Video looks a bit lengthy for me at the moment.

Best of luck.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/25/18 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By GrandMarq9807
How are you planning on fitting the unibody to the CV chassis??? If lower section of the wagon is rotten, I'd look at cutting out the floor pan & welding body to MGM floor pan...

That basically how a Dodge Charger General Lee was constructed using a '99 CVPI donor...

I did see the general lee stunt car that was done that way, and I've seen a couple of the truck swap guys keep the Vic floorboard too. I like that in some instances but, I'm going to try to keep as much of the original sheet metal and look on the 68 as possible. It needs some minor rot repair that I will fix over time, but nothing crazy. As of right now I have the full front subframe cut off at the firewall. The front torque box, and rocker panels are going to need to be cut for fitment at least. Basically I'm just going to get the frame to tuck in the best I can. Remove any unused subframe, and reattach with original frame bolt locations with custom body mounts. That's the idea, but I'll see when it starts going together. I will an update in the next couple days with pictures, and another video of both cars getting taken apart for fitment.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/25/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By 124neta
I like these projects. A lot.

Video looks a bit lengthy for me at the moment.

Best of luck.

Cool to hear, Thanks

Going to be uploading a lot of pictures soon that will give you some express viewing.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/25/18 03:02 PM

I look forward to seeing your progress on this project. I think it will go smoothly.

Steve

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/01/18 03:40 AM

I look forward to seeing your progress on this project. I think it will go smoothly.

Steve

Smoothly is the plan, Cool, Just working on figuring out how to lift the body up and down reliably.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/01/18 05:25 AM

The secound video I made basically shows the process I went through to get ready to start test fitting the frame to the unibody wagon. There is a lot of similarities between this and the f-100 or other crown vic frame swaps, except this wagon is a true uniboby car with no removable frame. Part of the process will show how I'm cutting the front unibody subframe out to prep for fitment, along with brainstorming some of the other areas for concern and frame fitment. After that I"m fully dissembling the Grand Marquis to the frame / rolling chassis.

I plan to keep as much of the stock 68 montego sheet metal and look as possible. some of the obvious things will be the newer steering column, digital gauges, and updated heater controls. As far as the dash it should look like a custom vintage hotrod dash, with no huge pointers to the chassis swap. I want to mount all the under hood wiring to the frame, and keep it off the fenders. Then the goal will be to make the hood and fenders easily removable to work on the car. I also plan to take the weights of some of the items and a final vehicle weight when finished. Take the fenders for example... the 68 fender really doesn't feel heavier than the 01, but I need weigh the items to double check that.

I'm still a little confused on the rear end gearing i want to use. The 01 chassis currently has 3.55 gearing which would be a great starting point for a future turbo car, But the T-56 transmission I have for it from a 02 Viper Srt-10 which has a first gear of 2.66 and was used with 4.56 rear gear in the 500hp truck. The 03/04 cobra had the same 2.66 first gear, but also had the 3.55 rear gear stock with 390hp... but the stock fist gear of the 4r70w that is currently in the marquis chassis is 2.84. That is a little better off the line for the lower power stock motor. So I'd honestly rather keep the 3.55 gears for the future, so I'll probably just wait and see how it feels, and hopefully wait out for a turbo to make up for that tall first gear.

Below I'll just show some pictures of getting everything apart, and ready for test fitment.

Thats the old 351w coming out

Pulling out all the front suspension.

I have this autobody repair book that Ive been using for brainstorming the station wagon floorpan.

Removed all the front end parts, and separated the radiator support to use with the frame.

This shows the whole front subframe cut off, I left some behind in case I want to use some for frame mounts.

Taking out the Grand Marquis dash... always fun

Plan on blending the top 68 dash cover, with the 01 metal dash insert and making my own dash.

Taking the marquis apart to get to the frame.

Fully stripped grand marquis body, ready to be removed from frame.

Ended up lifting the body a few inches, and tell flipped the body off the frame... Easier said then done.

Now the frame is basically ready to be put under the wagon for test fit... I just need to figure out an easy way to lift the wagon body up and down easy to do all the fitment work. I'm trying to get more camper jacks as those are the most affordable option for me right now.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/01/18 10:14 AM

I missed the point that this was uni body wagon no the frame on body like the full size ones. Add a bit of complexity and a bit more work. Using the floor pan might be a good idea.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/02/18 01:37 AM

I missed the point that this was uni body wagon no the frame on body like the full size ones. Add a bit of complexity and a bit more work. Using the floor pan might be a good idea.

Oh ok, I plan to get rid of most the subframe, unless it can help with mounting to the frame. Just need to find a happy medium between it being strong, but not weighing too much.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/04/18 03:06 AM

I'm basically just needing to get camper jacks or something still to help lift the body. In the meantime I'm going to patch a hole in the driveway concrete to make things easier working with the frame swap in the long run. so I'm just going to get everything organized, do the concrete work, and try to sell unneeded parts while I'm waiting for the body lift solution. Also on the hunt for a 4 valve engine, but I'm in no hurry. The other day too I traded the stock mercury wheels (with scraped lips on driver side) for a set of steel wheels. I'm not sure if they are standard steel wheels for this year or if they're the Police version. I traded, and also got $30 on top, plus I like the steel wheel look with the wagon over the stock marquis wheels, so that's perfect for me.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/04/18 08:41 PM

The P71 and the standard wheel were one and the same after the '80s. Those appear to be standard '98-'02 style steelies. Also used on a few other models like the Ranger/Exploder. Nice sturdy wheels.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 03/05/18 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
The P71 and the standard wheel were one and the same after the '80s. Those appear to be standard '98-'02 style steelies. Also used on a few other models like the Ranger/Exploder. Nice sturdy wheels.

Cool to know, Thanks

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 04/27/18 03:19 AM

*Pictures and Video Below

Finally fully decided on project redneck for the wagon. Its had the redneck windshield banner for about 16 years, so it seemed fitting. Plus the goal is to use all parts from different vehicles, and make a lot of the other items I need. So this is a budget redneck hotrod all the way through from start to finish.

I finished the disassembly of everything, and test fit the frame. Everything with the body and frame matches up as I expected. I tried to leave some things still attached to both the frame and wagon, but it seemed better to just remove everything for test fit, and doing everything right the first time.

I plan to fully set the body on the frame next to see exactly where I will need to cut, and modify the body. I'm still on the search for a good Mark Viii engine, that seems to be the most affordable 4v engine for sale. Just waiting on the metal to brace the floorboard, and I can start cutting soon. I'm looking forward to reassembly of the wagon, but lots of metal work before that.

I edited this video a little different, and tried to edit out all the dead space and Ums. It made the video a lot shorter than the last one, but with tons of info / progress made still. I've been doing the videos with my iphone, and it seems to be working good. I would like to get a nice camera, but i will probably get a go pro first due to cost, and being able to film more work action shots. The videos right now are mostly progress, and information, but i'm looking to show more work soon. Maybe let me know what you would like to see as far as video style, and I will try to do whats best for everyone.

Also if you would like to see any certain videos of the cars, info, etc... then just ask I'm always glad to help.

Thanks ...

Body Meet Frame... Frame Meet Body

Basically was removing rear suspension / stuff to test fit, and put it on wheels with no tires to get it even lower.

This was the first test fit, and everything was about what I expected.

I realized that the body needed to be completely stripped to reduce weight for cutting into the floorboard.

The tailgate was heavy to say the least.

The torino is very happy with a lot of the wagons old parts.

Ended up removing the engine to to make a little more room to work. Hopefully I can put a 4 valve back in.

Everything is pretty much stripped, and test fit, just waiting on some metal to brace the inside of the wagon before I start cutting the floorboard up. I almost need 70 feet total of bracing... might be overkill, but better safe than sorry. I had randomly went to get some free car seats from a guy, and it turned out he is a mega metal scrapper. He said by the end of April he should have a bunch of metal set aside for me.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 07/02/18 12:43 PM

In this video and pictures below of the crown vic frame install into a 1968 mercury montego station wagon… I will be mostly focused on the Installing of bracing for the subframe and floorpan removal. Once all that is braced I can start removing the subframe that is in the way still, and any floorpan that needs removed also. With the floor cutout to fit the frame… I can start final fitment / frame mounting soon.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/6Vs5kwZnQQI[/video]

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 12/08/18 12:08 AM

Just another update, started channeling the floor, and also got a different engine for the project. I will add the two youtube links below if you want to check it out.

Finished cutting front subframe out, and talking fitment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X2gBD2W2mM

I finished cutting out the front subframe and was able to get a better test fit. Also finished cutting up the mercury marquis body for the last bit of parts

Getting new engine, and talking intake manifold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsJ38MKFYLU

I was going to keep the 4.6 2v engine, and decided to get a F-150 truck intake manifold for the PI engine to help drive torque better. It would also have a forward facing throttle body, with a mostly metal intake. The junkyard wanted $175 for the intake with some electrical and fuel connections. I had found an F-150 parts truck to get the intake off of, and was saving up some money. After putting some money together I decided I might as well put a little more cash together, and just get a 4V engine like I wanted from the get go.

I basically was looking for whichever 4v engine came first as I had gone through many sellers that didn't come through. If i didn't already have the t-56 transmission ready for this, I probably would have focused more on a 4.6. After thinking things through a lot I decided to focus on a 5.4 DOHC out of a Lincoln navigator. It meets the rpm and horsepower goals, along with the focus on torque / intake manifold design. The plus also is the fact the the navigators come with a forged crankshaft, and will help with building the engine up on a budget.

I was still having tons of trouble finding a navigator for sale at a decent price, so I went to my local junkyard and they happened to have one. I made a part trade / cash deal and took it home. Long story short the engine ended up being bad with two cylinders leaking through the exhaust valves. I was able to get my money back, but still did the trade to keep the engine as a core.

Little while later I finally made a deal for a kinda rough navigator, but i feel like the engine was taken care of pretty well for most of its life. I bought it for $800, and after i part it out I should easy make my money back plus some, and get the engine / tons of parts for my truck. I'm happy to be able to do this engine combo, and felt like it was the missing link to really make this build badass.

So so far I have the 5.4 DOHC engine, SRT-10 T-56 transmission, Stock 3.55 gears, engine tuner, and a street / strip locker. I still need to source turbos / parts, clutch, driveshaft maybe?... etc. I was thinking so far the list of vehicles that this project has is big... 68 Mercury Montego Station Wagon(Body), 01 Mercury Grand Marquis(Frame), 99 Lincoln Navigator(Engine), Dodge Ram SRT-10(Transmission), Mustang Cobra(Bellhousing, Clutch Pedal, Driveshaft)...

I was thinking it would be cool to source some factory style turbos maybe... then it could really stay with the junkyard themed list of parts. If anyone has any recommendations, or turbos i should checkout just let me know.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 12/08/18 10:55 AM

Thank you for continuing to come back and provide updates. I love this project.

That front-facing throttle body is nifty.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 12/10/18 06:16 PM

Thank you for continuing to come back and provide updates. I love this project.

That front-facing throttle body is nifty.

Thanks man, Yea No Problem. Yea I think when its finished the front facing throttle body will be a nice touch.
Posted by: 78LTD460PI

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 12/07/19 12:20 AM

Any updates?

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/05/20 06:33 PM

Yes, Got an update ready that I will be uploading today hopefully.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/05/20 06:47 PM

Have an update today with a new YouTube video and pictures (below) of cutting out the floor to get the frame to fit and test fitting some stuff.

In this video I cut out all the parts of the unibody Mercury Montego wagon floorboard to get the crown vic frame swap to fit / tuck all the way in. I had to cut into rear torque boxes, remove more of the front toquue boxes, and put a gap in the rocker panels. Basically remove all the floorboard above the rearend too.

When the frame was fitting ok I then test fit the stock wheels and the 5.4 4v engine to see if there will be any problem areas. The frame for the most part fits in nice, but there is some issue with the fender wells that will need looked at. Either I need to flare the rear fenders or do some different wheel / tire combo. The front fender should only need some minor work for everything to fit. Also the engine fits good at the firewall, and looks like adding the transmission will only need some minor cutting.

This part was a lot of work, as I'm trying to retain as much of the original sheet metal as possible, and was going slow and steady not to cut too much. If anyone has some ideas on the fender / wheel problem I'm all ears.

The next video will be cleaning up all the edges, making body mounts, and mounting the body to the frame. Also if you have any questions, ideas to talk about, or anything i can help with just let me know. i will get back to you asap.

Thanks, have a good day.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/06/20 09:22 AM

You could probably fit '03+ Panther (or '05+ Mustang) wheels under that and be good to go. The amount of stick-out you have on the rear fenders looks like roughly what you get when you put '98-'02 wheels on a '03+ Panther. With the '03 frame redesign, the front and rear suspension was made wider, so the wheels changed from a near-zero-offset to an almost FWD like high positive offset (IIRC its +35mm on a 16x7" wheel) while retaining the same bolt pattern and hub size. Mustangs did the same thing with the '05 redesign, '03+ Panthers and '05+ Mustang wheels are interchangeable.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/06/20 10:37 AM

Agree. '03+ wheels may be the trick. Worry that they might sit TOO far in, though, but that could be remedied with a 1/4" or so slip-on spacer to push them slightly back out.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/08/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By BigMerc96
You could probably fit '03+ Panther (or '05+ Mustang) wheels under that and be good to go. The amount of stick-out you have on the rear fenders looks like roughly what you get when you put '98-'02 wheels on a '03+ Panther. With the '03 frame redesign, the front and rear suspension was made wider, so the wheels changed from a near-zero-offset to an almost FWD like high positive offset (IIRC its +35mm on a 16x7" wheel) while retaining the same bolt pattern and hub size. Mustangs did the same thing with the '05 redesign, '03+ Panthers and '05+ Mustang wheels are interchangeable.

Agree. '03+ wheels may be the trick. Worry that they might sit TOO far in, though, but that could be remedied with a 1/4" or so slip-on spacer to push them slightly back out.

Thanks for your guys help. I was reading about the offsets at this post ... https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1061930 ... I was thinking it was saying I would only gain a half inch overall by switching, but I wasn't sure. I do have a small spacer plate laying around, so I will probably experiment with that and some different wheels. I do have a set of universal 5 spoke wheels I could test too, but not sure how i would like the look. I really like the steelies.
Posted by: Old_Guy_Stu

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/08/20 08:17 AM

You'll get a lot more than a half inch. Going from a 6mm offset to a +50mm offset, it's more like 1-3/4 per side. That should be enough to tuck them right in. Newer steelies don't look that different from what you've got, just not as much dish.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 02/09/20 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
You'll get a lot more than a half inch. Going from a 6mm offset to a +50mm offset, it's more like 1-3/4 per side. That should be enough to tuck them right in. Newer steelies don't look that different from what you've got, just not as much dish.

Ok cool Thanks, I got you, for some reason I was thinking the newer style wheels were 0 offest.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/16/20 08:42 PM

I finally got a parts car that I needed. It will help a lot with the damaged and missing parts on my Mercury Montego wagon. Basically now I only need a clutch / flywheel setup, hydroboost brake setup, and possible driveshaft. I will probably need more but that is the rest of the obvious stuff. I'll link a video and pictures below to check out the 1969 Ford Torino Station Wagon parts car.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/16/20 09:21 PM

I haven't seen one of those in years. Up here they were all rusted away by 1975.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/17/20 12:16 AM

luckily this one made it out alive. I need the parts. banana

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/17/20 07:32 AM

Damn, that parts car is a restorable rig up here.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/17/20 09:10 AM

Yep, only needs an interior and mechanical resto. Both of those will stay done, unlike rust repair. Or you could Roadkill it by dropping a crate engine in there and drive it as is.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/17/20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
Roadkill it by dropping a crate engine in there and drive it as is.
Which is the best idea.

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 09/17/20 07:19 PM

yea I agree. Luckily I got a good deal on it to justify it being a parts car, and between the two now I can make a really nice one.
Posted by: HavocMan

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 10/01/20 06:39 AM

This is a really cool project! Those 4V engines are massive!

Re: 68 Ford Build with Crown Vic Frame Swap / Install - 10/05/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By HavocMan
This is a really cool project! Those 4V engines are massive!

Thanks man! Yea it is big. The cylinder head basically blocks where the brake booster is supposed to bolt up. I'm looking into getting a hydroboost brake setup from a mustang due to lack of space.