H4 Headlight Conversion Install- DUW

Posted by: Cowman

H4 Headlight Conversion Install- DUW - 03/06/04 07:29 PM

Finally getting something that can light up the road, and more importantly help me avoid getting blinded by oncoming traffic with newer brighter lights!

To do this, I popped the emergency release valve open to keep the headlight doors open. Here are a couple shots of the old lights on and off.

Note the water I found in the old "sealed" beam light

Here's one of the new lenses

Installation of the low beams are simple as could be. Old bulbs are held in by metal rings, remove 3 screws and the ring/old light comes out. The rubber seal pops off the lense, you unlatch a latch, pop in the H4 bulb, then latch it and reinstall the seal. The connectors for the low-beam sealed beams and the H4 are identical so they plug right in. Installation of the new lense is kinda harder because the rubber seal is very big and doesn't fit easily into the old housings however with a little pushing it all goes together with little trouble.

Here's a pic of the new low-beam and the old high beam side by side.

The high beam install is a bit harder since the connectors don't match up. Also, the high beam lenses take an H1 bulb. This isn't too difficult either though. All I had to do was pop the spade connector/wires out of the plastic harness and hook them up to the new high beam. Same issue with the big rubber seals..

Here's what it looks like installed

And I hook the headlight door valve up and give the car a quick wash and here she is.

More pics will come tonight when I try them out after dark.

Posted by: Cowman

Re: H4 Headlight Conversion Install- DUW - 03/06/04 09:10 PM

Looks like I may need a relay kit now. Seems that the new lights draw a lot more power than the old ones did and with the hi-beams on the circuit breaker trips and I become a classic police impersonator with neat blinking headlights.
Posted by: Dextrovic

Re: H4 Headlight Conversion Install- DUW - 03/06/04 09:29 PM

Looks nice!

Upgrading the headlight wiring with larger gauge wiring and relays is a very good idea...the headlights will work more reliably (esp. with the headlight switch only working the relays themselves--not the bulbs) and the lights will be brighter to boot w/ less circuit resistance.
Posted by: Dondo

Re: H4 Headlight Conversion Install- DUW - 03/08/04 02:59 PM

uh-huh,, yup,, guess your right,,, need relays to make dim headlights work right !! Wish I had of known that a while ago,, ah huh !!