Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here

Posted by: Cowman

Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 03/13/03 04:55 PM

Post pics and a short description of your 70's Ford motor company product. Looking for cars you own personaly or used to own- not random pics found on the internet.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 03/13/03 05:15 PM

Let's get this thing started

Many of you have seen her already- My 1977 Mercury Marquis Brougham. I've had it for about 3 years now, during most of which it was my only car. I know it's old but it's VERY reliable. The only time it ever left me sitting was once when a heater hose blew.... really only delayed me. Water got into the ignition and killed it, I coasted off the interstate, up an exit ramp, down a road and into the parking lot of a gas station. Bypassed the heater, dried off the distributor with a napkin, filled the radiator, and I was on my way again.
This car has been with me during my best and worst moments and never let me down. You'll get me to part with it only by prying the wheel from my cold dead hands!
Posted by: BoxMan

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 03/14/03 07:51 AM

Well, I used to have a '79 Lincoln Continental Town Car. I don't have any pics of it, but the one I attached is what she looked like.

The day after I got it I took it out for a ride, but I wasn't supposed to be driving it...Anyway, I stopped in at work for somthin, went to go home...won't start. Starter died. So, I waited for my dad to get off work and come up and he called AAA and had it towed. Man that was a sight! That car almost had the tow truck doing a wheelie! It was an old chevy...I tell ya, if the car weighed any more, those front wheels woulda been off the ground. I had it weighed once, 4,950 pounds, without me! Nothin in the trunk either, and about a 1/4 tank of gas.

I wanted to restore it, but I found out it was beyond what I could afford. Man that car was shot, but the interior was immaculant!

It needed tierods, axle seal was leakin, needed brakes, etc. The headlight doors worked tho! The biggest problem was rust. The fender behind the front wheels on both sides was gone, big holes. Had some quarter panel rust too. Biggest thing was the body seams were splittin in back. You took the carpet outta the trunk and you could see daylight

So, I sold it. Lost 150 bucks or whatever, but oh well. I still have a set of keys to it
Posted by: rea98d

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 03/14/03 11:59 AM

Only pic I have of mine is in the sig, so you've all seen Adri, but I'll give you a little background about her. My grandmother bought her brand new in '78, paid nearly $10,000 for her, and swore she'd never pay that much for a car again! (My how times have changed!) First car I ever rode in. 400 CID V-8 engine. My grandmother gave me the car on my 16th birthday, and it took me through high school and my first year of college. I was putting over 600 miles a week on her at one point, driving home every weekend when my grandfather was sick. The car went through gas faster than George Jones went through whiskey, but she always got me where I was going. The summer after my freshman year, I put her in reverse, and there was a long pause before she went into gear. The pause got longer and longer until she wouldn't go into reverse at all, and then she quit shifting out of 1st in drive. The transmission was going out, and I haven't had to money to fix her yet. But, I'm like Cowman. You'll pry the old girl out of my cold, dead fingers. I love that car. I just have to find time to get a transmission put in her, and she'll be on the road again. Then I can start my "rolling restoration" of her.
Posted by: nakedfrog

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/07/03 09:23 PM

Just posted most of this in the newbie area, but for those of you who don't frequent there...
my 77 Grand Marquis with a 460.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/07/03 09:45 PM

Sweet! Cowman, we've got another barge body here!

You guys with your 460-powered '77's are making me feel almost modern with my 400-powered '78!

Except for that little spot on the door I'll pretend I didn't see, it's a great looking car (better than mine!) Who's the cute little kid posing with the car?
Posted by: nakedfrog

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/07/03 10:04 PM

That's my little girl
She loves riding in my car, but doesn't get to very often since we usually take our other car on account of it getting vastly better mileage.
Now if I can just get some fender skirts like you've got, I'll be even happier.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/09/03 10:27 PM

sweet another barge. Now, if the rest of you would just go out and buy one we'd be able to have some barge meets or something
Posted by: Kinger87

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/10/03 03:35 AM

Barge meets!
Posted by: RedWagon630

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/11/03 05:37 PM

Suggest start a new Car Club; BargeLTD.net, for 71-78 Big Fords. There are already clubs for 60's Biggies, the 70's need one.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/11/03 06:39 PM

In reply to:

Suggest start a new Car Club; BargeLTD.net, for 71-78 Big Fords. There are already clubs for 60's Biggies, the 70's need one.

I like the idea but we can barely keep this forum active. Where would we find enough ineterested members to keep it going?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/13/03 04:54 PM

Count me in favor. Surely, there's enough people in the world who appreciate such a fine American motorcar that we can at least keep a small club going! We could start the club up now, with those of us on CVN who have such cars as "Charter Members," and worry about expansion later on. We could write up tech articles on the 351M/400 and 429/460 engines, (such as how to tune up 30 year old distributors and carburetors, how to build these engines for decent horsepower instead of being detuned smog motors), maybe some advice on keeping old cars rolling on duck tape and happy thoughts...

There's potential here. I nominate Cowman as our first President.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/14/03 04:59 PM

There are LTD clubs on the net, but they are more for nostolgia buffs, then car fans.

Also, if you don't like Marquis, why not call it a Park Lane?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/14/03 10:15 PM

I was just in a really silly mood that day, LTD was the first thing I could think of, and I've been too lazy to change it back.

Any links to these "Nostalgia buff" webistes?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/15/03 02:45 AM

What would be really nice is if we found some sources of parts for the things. The various motor/tranny combinations are not too hard to find stuff for since they were widely used but stuff like interior parts, and exterior trim, and so on are not going to be as easy to locate(and btw if somone has any of those interior parts or trim let me know, I'm gonna be in need of some )

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/17/03 01:51 AM

Here is a link to one LTD page, it's more nostolgia and less technical than CVN, but fun. Boomer's LTD Page

Also, here is another one. But, they think that the LTD was the only big Ford ever, they don't have a clue about Crown Vics, Galaxies, or others

LTD World
Posted by: beemer

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/17/03 02:13 AM

Here's my old 1976 Lincoln Town Coupe. I owned this car almost 10 years. Sold to a friend last summer. Rust-free Florida cutie it is. 460, C6 auto. All options but rear window defog. I do miss it, however the $$$ from the sale went into the kitty for the Marauder. My friend is giving it a good home now.

Best,

Paul
Posted by: PatsPOS

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/17/03 03:39 AM

Ghastly exterior color, but you gotta love those white interiors!

Looks like that car was an eight-hour wax job, at least. And saddle soap on the white leather was probably another two hours....death by detailing!

Other than that, nice rig!
Pat
Posted by: The_CDP

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/02/03 08:32 PM

77 Ford Custom 500.... Canadian car only.... 2 door black "mob car" as some people have told me it looks like

Posted by: The_CDP

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/02/03 08:34 PM

Hrm... wouldn't let me attach a pic first time out... let me try again...
Posted by: JohnG

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/09/03 03:32 PM

Posted by: GeneralGeoff

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/09/03 07:30 PM

Lucky bastard w/suicide doors...
Posted by: Havenx

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/12/03 12:59 AM

Heres a 73 Cugar XR7 Drop Top with a 351C v2
Posted by: Havenx

Re: *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* - 06/12/03 01:05 AM

Post deleted by Cowman
Posted by: Ronman®

Re: - 06/12/03 01:06 AM

You know you can edit your posts, right?
Posted by: TheDealer

Re: - 07/12/03 12:42 AM

Here's mine. 1970 Mach1 351 Cleveland stroked to 408. 567hp. 4speed, 4:30 rear. Runs 11.42 @118, 1.54 60 ft time. Best of show winner.
Posted by: Ronman®

Re: - 07/12/03 12:54 AM

Drool...
Posted by: TheDealer

Re: - 07/12/03 12:59 AM

Thanx, here's a picture of the engine.
Posted by: 77LTDII

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/21/03 06:13 PM

Heres my Recently Aquired Land Barge...

1977 Ford LTD II...

351 V8, FMX Tranny, 9 inch Rear...

YES, thats origial mileage.

later,
Dustin
Posted by: Box_n_SN95

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/21/03 08:34 PM

Here's a pic of the 76 T-bird I used to own. I built that engine myself. Still my favorite Ford.
Posted by: Box_n_SN95

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/21/03 08:34 PM

Motor shot of T-bird
Posted by: DougH

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/29/04 06:39 PM

Here's my 1970 Galaxie 500 4dr sedan. An original Oklahoma granny car that will eventually be a period Illinois State Trooper car. Already have the whip as you can see. Anyone else out there with a 69/70 four door?
http://images.snapfish.com/339%3B2<4323232%7Ffp58%3Dot>232%3B%3D%3B%3B4%3D%3B4%3A%3DXROQDF>23234%3A968723%3Bot1lsi
http://images.snapfish.com/339%3B2<4323232%7Ffp58%3Dot>232%3B%3D%3B%3B4%3D%3B4%3A%3DXROQDF>23234%3A9687245ot1lsi
Posted by: ilcopcarguy

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 03/26/04 10:15 PM

Here's my Dad's 73 LTD...this pic is circa 1979, I believe. It replaced a 71 LTD.

Posted by: Grand Marquis GT

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 03/27/04 12:05 AM

sweet t-bird, and all those LTDS!!!
Posted by: 85crownHPP*

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/07/04 09:27 PM

my sweet baby (RIP)

I had this when I was a kid (well, more of a kid than I am now at 24) so all I could do was kid stuff

she died the 1st weekend I was able to bring her up to school... I thought it was just a broken timing chain - it wasnt... this pic still brings a tear to my eye...

and yes, those are trailer blinkers... the guy I bought it from rear ended someone and I guess he never found new lenses...
Posted by: Grand Marquis GT

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/08/04 01:58 AM

lol...

we only wish gas was that cheap again!!!
Posted by: 85crownHPP*

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/09/04 10:53 PM

yeah - what the heck is wrong with this country - took gas 30 years for the price to double the first time... then 10 years... It'll be 5 bucks a gallon before we know it...
Posted by: bmt336

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/29/04 03:45 PM

OK, here goes,
Just links, but a good site to look through.

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.asp?RegistryNumber=9214

and...

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.asp?RegistryNumber=15428

wish I still had the green 76, I do still have the red 73, it is Big Pimpin.
Bret
Posted by: corder13

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/30/04 05:30 AM

Well, here's the '72 Mercury Montego MX I was talking about. It is the accident that's making me sell my Crown Vic. These are the only pics I have of it since I haven't picked the car up yet. It has the 429-4v in it.

Rick
Posted by: occupant

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/11/04 09:07 PM

This isn't a car but I have owned a couple of the land barges.

This is the 1970 Ford F-100 Ranger LWB 2WD pickup I have had since May. It's got a 1976 351W from a passenger car (prolly one of these barges donated it) and a Borg Warner T-18 with that 6.xx:1 1st gear. 9" rear, no PS, no PB, no AC, no nothing. Originally a 240cid six with the light-duty 3-speed on the column. Originally green on green, now blue and gray on a mix of colors inside. Dash is blue and black, doors are blue inside, panels are black, dash top is green because the cap is missing, seat is red, headliner (the half that remains) is white. Has a "Beware Of Dog" sign for the driver's floorboard. Had the auxiliary tank on the driver's side of the bed, that's gone, rusted away. Still has the filler neck. Here's a link to pictures and I'll post one:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350152

I've only had two big Fords. In summer 1995, I purchased a yellow on tan 1976 Mercury Marquis Brougham hardtop sedan. 460 engine, C6 automatic, working AC, cruise, AM-FM 8-track stereo, and a starter toggle switch hanging from under the dash, which bypassed the solenoid under the hood. Hot switch. #*&%ing hot switch. Bought from a small car dealer (now replaced by an Avis rental shop) for $350 cash. He also had a silver '77 Thunderbird (which I SHOULD have bought) for $500. Anyway, I drove it home from Plano to Lewisville and it took me 3 weeks, an alternator, several fusible links, a new solenoid, and a new battery to get it started again. Then the next morning I burned out the starter. Got an estimate from my mechanic to replace it for $600! So I tried to replace it myself, got the starter loose, and couldn't get it out. The mechanic was right, he'd have to either drop the front suspension or raise the engine to remove it. I let it go for $40 to the junkman but only after I smashed out all the glass and beat on it with the ratchet I broke trying to get the starter out.

The other was summer 1996, not a big one, but an intermediate. A 1975 Ford Gran Torino sedan, light blue on blue, with Pontiac hubcaps, 351W 2-barrel with FMX transmission, cold air, vinyl seats, carpet, and a Sparkomatic AM-FM cassette. I loved that car more than life itself. Purchased it from a small car dealer, just went out of business last summer, for $300 down and $50 a week, total of $1300. When the water pump failed I tried to trade it in for a green 1979 Thunderbird (again, the car I SHOULD have bought) but he wouldn't take it in trade. So I replaced the water pump with his tools behind his office on his car lot. Took me 3 days after school to get it all done. The I paid it off and took it on a trip to Wyoming. Right around Vernon, the left front tire caught fire following a 75mph blowout and engulfed the underhood area, dash, and headliner before the FD put it out. My 16oz bottle of water wasn't help enough and I had to go call 911. The junkyard bought it from me for $25 and sold the transmission, 9", and engine for several times that, the same day it came in. Bastiges!!!
Posted by: Mercracer

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/19/05 07:22 AM

Quote:

Well, here's the '72 Mercury Montego MX I was talking about. It is the accident that's making me sell my Crown Vic. These are the only pics I have of it since I haven't picked the car up yet. It has the 429-4v in it.

Definitely a worthy project!!
When it comes time to build the motor, replace those D2VE heads with an early set. The chamber is a 1 year only mistake, and they have the revised (for the worse) exhaust ports.
Posted by: Mr. Land Yacht

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 08/24/05 04:24 PM

I don't have a pic on here, but we have a '77 Lincoln Mark V in Canyon Red with a White leather interior, 400 CID V8, w/ 72K miles.
if ya wanna see it, there's some pics on my cardomain page...take a look and lemme know whatcha think...thanx

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 08/24/05 04:32 PM

oh, I forgot to mention...
I had a '77 Lincoln Continetal Town Car in light blue(460, of course and an indestructible C6 trans!) as my first car...it got me addicted to panthers and 70's Lincolns, i can manuever my dad's linc better than my MAGNA..LOL
Posted by: 99_03PantherS

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 09/01/05 01:38 AM

What ever happend to your towncar?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 10/05/05 01:24 PM

Quote:

What ever happend to your towncar?

well, it was getting into bad shape, I didn't know much about cars at the time....and we ended up putting about $6K into it in 1 year and it just got to the point where we couldn't get it running at all, so we donated it to a junkyard. there are pics of it on my cardomain page, i believe the pix are on pg 2.
It is because of that car that my friends started to call me Mr. Land Yacht...

PS:
you might notice that it's in a dark grey color....I had got into a minor fender bender with a tree and we decided to paint the car along with the bodywork.

I still miss that land yacht, though.
I'm actually thinkin of gettin another one sometime, in light blue of course.
Posted by: Unit123

My Two Stangs.... - 11/19/05 02:23 PM

1969 Mach 1:
She was born in Late June of 69. Her Early years were spent in the Canadian Lands up North and then she went south.....south to Alabama where her life
as a Southern Belle was one of fine weather and excellent treatment by the gentleman.

She is the envy of every man and woman, both young and old. Her curves are voluptuous and demeanor low key. She had a body to die for, the same body
her mom put together all those years ago. Age has not diminished her beauty in fact she is a classic. Now that is not to say she won't kick up her heels and
cut up a little, so to speak, seeing that she was outfitted with a 351 V8 and a four speed. This lady can dance, sing and tease.

Yes, she is a flirt with all the boys....flashing her red dress and showing just a hint of her hidden black garments...but make no mistake, do not get her angry....do not make fun of her or she will have her way with you then make you pay dearly!

When pushed to the limit, she will take a deep breath of air through the ram air setup and then run it through the 351, turning her fury into power.
That power runs through a 4spd toploader and is handled by a Hurst shifter on the way out to a 9" trac-lok rear end.

The dual exhaust system makes breathing easy, even when the factory a/c is on high.

If your ready to listen to the band and feel like dancing then come to Central New York where you can find this beauty ready to run and play....but remember, do not make her angry.

1968 Shelby GT 500 #791:
Engine:428 Interceptor:Tranny 4spd. End result is this is one of the fastest "old" cars I have ever driven...as top speed.

Posted by: Mest30

Re: My Two Stangs.... - 11/20/05 06:50 PM

Wow, those stangs are beautiful.
Posted by: Cougrrcj

Re: My Two Stangs.... - 11/24/05 09:06 AM

I have pics of some of my cars at this site.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/46

Not pictured are my Wagons: first being a rust-free 78 Country Squire, brown/brown, that was originally a 351M/FMX/integral rear I bought for $500 because the motor and trans were shot. Drivetrain upgraded to 429/C6/9" w 3.25 gears. Too many Cleveland winters turned it into a rust bucket - frame broke in half. Drivetrain pulled and car was scrapped

Back in 1991, when I was on vacation to see my parents out in AZ, I saw another 77 Country Squire sitting at a ma-and-pa used car lot. Yellow w/brown interior. woodgrain sides all 'potato chips' from AZ heat. Carpet on the dash prevented me from reading the VIN, but I crawled underneath to find a 9" rear end w/ 3L00 gears. Cool! As I was looking at the rear, I noticed that the housing was plain, shiny bare metal - in fact the whole underside of the car just looked like it had just rolled off the assembly line. Then I noticed some funky backing plates for the rear brakes -- DISK BRAKE REAR!!! I ended up buying the car for $600 and drove it home to Cleveland. BTW, engine was a 460/C6 and hydroboost braking system - factory tow package, right down to the factory air shock fill valve on the driver's side front fender turtle. Got very long in the tooth - engine had main knock and trans leaked out all fluid in less than a week. Pulled drivetrain and scrapped. Disc brake rear end now in street rod.

Wife had a 77 Marquis Broughm. 460/C6/2.42 9" rear. very classy ride. Yellow 4-dr w/skirts. Yellow interior. I gave it a bit more 'ooomph' by installing a mild cam, straight-up timing set, duals, and a 3L25 gearset. That was one honkin' ride! Car got too rusty, and it sat in the back drive for years until someone bought it for $350 to demo-derby.
Posted by: ALOP71

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 03/19/06 03:29 PM

Nice car! Thanks for sharing the pic.

Quote:

77 Ford Custom 500.... Canadian car only.... 2 door black "mob car" as some people have told me it looks like

Posted by: PearsonFan

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/20/06 10:01 PM

I guess this is as good a place to do my first post. My 70s Mercury is a 1972 Mercury Montego GT. It has the 351 Cleveland Cobra Jet, a C6 trans and a 3.50 Traction Loc axle, The color is Midnight Canyon Red (Maroon)

The Pictures were taken at Last years IMOA meet at the Gilmore Museam

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/21/06 01:20 AM

PearsonFan...now THAT is one sweet ride! Hard to believe that was the sister to the Gran Torino Sport.

Reckon it's not too hard to figure out where you got your screenname...you could paint a couple big "21"s on your doors or something...

Again...real nice car!
Pat
Posted by: PearsonFan

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/21/06 10:08 AM

Pat ,thanks for the kind words. Yeah Pearson & the Wood Bros. are to blame for my passion for Mercurys. Mercury only produced 5820 of these in 72.
Earl
Posted by: leftyclick

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/21/06 02:03 PM

Here is a pic of my other car. It's a 1977 Ford Granada. It was my first car, and I am trying to get the money together to restore it.
Posted by: Walt

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/19/06 05:33 PM

Dragpackragtop: 70 Torino Gt Convertible 429 SCJ ram air 4 speed 3.91 Detroit Locker(was 4.30) factory drag pack, number matching VIN on eng/trans. 1 of 19 built and 4 left
Posted by: 94xr7

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 06/20/06 09:54 AM

I remember someone trying to start a fight with me about my 79 cougar car being so big. He asked me "Why do you need such a big car? Do you got 'Penis Envy' or somethng?" I stayed cool and said "Relax, man, Its just a mid size" everyone laughed at the guy. Its been a catch frais ever since. As for the penis envy? the chicks say the same thing about my unit (not trying brag)and i respond the same way and they always say "mid size? Just like your cougar!" My buddy sais hes "mid sized" and i tell him "yeah! and so is yir 88 mustang!" its awesome drivin this 79 cougar. thats only a fraction of the fun i get with this very reliable car. people hear it and think shes all done up. but she moves like a fast slug. shes all about the comfort and the sound. shes realy solid too! ben rear ended good twice and no dammaged! They sure dont make'em like they used to!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/21/06 09:02 PM

Quote:

I guess this is as good a place to do my first post. My 70s Mercury is a 1972 Mercury Montego GT. It has the 351 Cleveland Cobra Jet, a C6 trans and a 3.50 Traction Loc axle, The color is Midnight Canyon Red (Maroon)

The Pictures were taken at Last years IMOA meet at the Gilmore Museam

whoa!
WOW!
nice car!
Posted by: Bangster

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/05/06 01:15 PM

79 Zephyr not my idea of a classic, but I miss it. I gave it to my brother in law since at 330,000 miles it left me on the side of the road once and then started running poor after getting it going again. Shear pin holding distributer gear, well, sheared so I drove it 3 miles with it 180 degrees out, and variations there of until the exhuast got so hot it melted the 00 gauge battery cables insulation. After that and finally figuring out what was going on and fixing it, I drove it another year and finally gave it away and replaced it with a 2000 Grand Marquis!
Posted by: jpfreak

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/08/06 09:33 AM

Well, it's not a car

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 08/11/06 10:37 PM

Quote:

Kelly Chargers....oh yea!
I keep seeing those on more and more cars ever since I put them on my car.
Posted by: 95merckid

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 09/21/06 06:21 PM

my grand parents had a 78 town car and a 77ltd both with 460's they put about 50,000 on each car then bought another one from a salavge yard to rebuild the town car was blue and the ltd was baby crap brown
Posted by: GMarc

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 10/19/06 04:56 AM

Sigh! Nice to see real cars.
Posted by: 99p71vic

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 10/30/06 06:14 AM

My first car, a '79 Granada, 250ci six, C4, 190k miles, very reliable, but ran like crap. Sold it.

'77 Lincoln Versailles, 351W, C4, 9'' rear end, 4-wheel-disc, power sunroof, bench, windows, etc (all worked). Got it for free, but it had no title, and I was forced to get rid of it because I had no place to put it. Would have made a great DD.
Posted by: 96bluvic

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/27/07 02:33 PM

My 1977 Ford F150 4X4 Shortbed.

It has a 79 grill.

My dads old 79 Bronco.

Posted by: 96bluvic

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 04/30/07 12:48 AM

more updated pics of my 77 f150
as of yesterday.

Posted by: robs

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/01/07 03:08 AM

My favorate car of all time... 3 years away from the 70s...

NOTHING beats a FULL SIZE TOP DOWN RIDE!!!!

Posted by: FordWagonNut1979

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/23/07 05:37 AM

I just joined a few days ago.....I have had a few Crown Vics in my day ('79 4-door & '83 LTD Crown Vic wagon "S" model) and also a 1996 Lincoln Town Car. But this is one of the LTD's I own now.

When I bought her:

And her now:

This is a pic of my last Town Car:

Posted by: BigBlackFord

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/23/07 03:33 PM

beautiful wagon, and one hell of a job!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/24/07 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BigBlackFord®©
beautiful wagon, and one hell of a job!

Thanks man!

Its been one hell of a road with her....bought her for $150 bucks, not running. It was the fuel pump that was bad, that was all. She was under a tree for three years becouse of that......

After I redid all new brakes (lines, master, calipers, seals, etc), solid tune up, new battery and alt......she was running like a champ. In October, some kids at college blew out my front window.....$300 bucks later.......Nov rolls around, i hit a deer at 55 mph....the wagon, my dog, and I where fine.......the deer lost out on that one......

So I got a used front header panel from a local yard, painted all the pieces in my apt in Jan & Feb........

Shes come a LONG way

Jon
Posted by: BigBlackFord

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/24/07 01:10 PM

what did you use to replace the vinyl wood grain decal?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/24/07 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBlackFord®©
what did you use to replace the vinyl wood grain decal?

Well I got an est. on the orginal vinyl wood, it was a little over $700 bucks.....thats what I spend in books alone in one sem., so that was out of the question. So I ended up using contact paper from my local hardware store, $25 bucks to do the whole car.

Its been about a year and half and its been holding up very well. I has been through car washes, snow/ice storms, under the hot midwestern summer sun, and NO signs of peeling, blistering, or craking.

Jon
Posted by: Cougrrcj

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/25/07 08:47 AM

I have NOS woodgrain trim pieces (the cream colored border trim) for the entire tailgate if you're interested... Shoot me a PM... I think I might also have a rear swaybar for a Barge laying around...
Posted by: Mileaway

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 09/23/07 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Bangster

79 Zephyr not my idea of a classic, but I miss it. I gave it to my brother in law since at 330,000 miles it left me on the side of the road once and then started running poor after getting it going again. Shear pin holding distributer gear, well, sheared so I drove it 3 miles with it 180 degrees out, and variations there of until the exhuast got so hot it melted the 00 gauge battery cables insulation. After that and finally figuring out what was going on and fixing it, I drove it another year and finally gave it away and replaced it with a 2000 Grand Marquis!
How did the body hardware holdup?Any problems with door handles falling off,windows not working,dash rotting,park to reverse problems?Oil leaks?Would a K-Car have been better? Ha.
Posted by: Fletch

Pictures of my 72 Merc - 10/07/07 03:40 AM

I just made a deal on another 70's Merc today. Should have it by mid week. Watch for pictures.
Posted by: Fletch

Re: Pictures of my 72 Merc - 10/09/07 10:12 AM

Hers it is. I just picked up this 76 Sunday night

Re: Pictures of my 72 Merc - 10/10/07 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Fletch
Hers it is. I just picked up this 76 Sunday night

I'm jelious! She looks like shes in AWESOME shape, showroom new.....I would really like a Marquis like yours. My uncle had a 77-78 model in the mid 80s when I was a kid.....I still remember the soft, almost pillow like ride. Congrats on the new boat!

Jonny
Posted by: Tag

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 11/07/07 05:07 PM

My 71 Mercury Cougar XR7 351C, Auto, Power Windows, locks, drivers seat. A/C, Tilt. California Car not original color.

Shes not perfect but shes also for sale \:\(

Posted by: Aerobird88

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/17/08 08:19 PM

Hey guys! Well, it's been a while since I sold my second 89 Crown Vic and bought a piece of junk 98 Mercury Sable. Actually, I take that back - the Sable was a very nice, reliable, dependable car. I really shouldn't complain about it. I bought it trying to be a little more practical with gas prices the way they are. And I have to travel a lot with work.

That being said, I really did not like that Sable. After having a Thunderbird and two Crown Vics, that Sable felt like a rolling pile of plastic. Everything breaks or cracks in cold weather. It was really pathetic. GIVE ME SOME METAL. So, after a year of faithful service and several months of trying to sell it, it finally sold this Saturday. I promptly went out and purchased an awesome project car - a 1979 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau Coupe. It is the oldest car I have ever owned, but is really well built, and this particular one, although it needs a lot of work, seems to be a very solid car. The front end needs a lot of work, but I got started this afternoon and I am looking forward to learning a lot about REAL cars. They don't make them like this anymore!

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/18/08 11:45 PM

This is kind of embarrassing to even have to ask, but does anyone have any idea how to switch high-beams on? I can turn the headlights on, but I have no idea where the controls are to switch the high-beams on or off, and no manual to be found!

:-)

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/19/08 12:00 AM

Heh, you're showing your age! \:D The hi-beam switch is on the floor over by the parking brake pedal.

Over the years I've owned a '77 'bird, two '78s, a '79, two LTD IIs, and I still have my Torino after 22 years. It's an illness, but I love the '70s midsize cars. If you want a forum more suited to the 'bird you just got, check out http://www.grantorinosport.org. There's a section there specifically for '77-'79 cars.

And finally, that's a damn fine lookin' rig there!

Pat
Posted by: cragantler1

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/19/08 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: PatsPOS
Heh, you're showing your age! \:D The hi-beam switch is on the floor over by the parking brake pedal.
Over the years I've owned a '77 'bird, two '78s, a '79, two LTD IIs, and I still have my Torino after 22 years. It's an illness, but I love the '70s midsize cars. If you want a forum more suited to the 'bird you just got, check out http://www.grantorinosport.org. There's a section there specifically for '77-'79 cars.

And finally, that's a damn fine lookin' rig there!

Pat

ROTFLMAO
Too damn funny.
Remember when you had to turn on the wipers it was on the dash, below the light knob.
I started with a 1972 Maverick,1976 Pinto Wagon, parents had a 1970 Torino.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/19/08 10:55 PM

Well, that's what I thought too! I have a '78 Ford pickup that I have had for a good while and it has the high beam switch in the floor. I MISS THAT on new cars. So much better than messing around with a switch on the column. The TBird doesn't have one though! I'm telling you I can't find a way to switch to high beams anywhere on this crazy car!

Gotta love the wiper knob on the dash. On my truck it is annoying as all because it does not have an intermittent setting. It's either low or high. When it's just barely misting, I wear the heck out of that knob turning it once every few minutes to clear the window. :-)

I have always loved big cars with big engines. After two 89 Crown Vics and my 78 pickup, I am getting brave enough to move to some older models that need a little more attention. The great thing about the TBird is that under the hood it shares a ton of components with my truck which I am fairly familiar with, so that has made life easier. Thanks again for the help - does anyone know another place a high beam switch might be located???

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/19/08 11:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what transmissions were offered in the Thunderbird for '79? Mine has the 351M engine, but I am not sure about the transmission.

My truck has a 400 V8 with a C6 transmission and it has been rock solid. From reading online I gather that the 351M and the 400 are fairly closely related, so I am hoping the transmission in the TBird will prove as reliable as the one in the truck.

I have a slight rear seal like right now, but I am having that replaced tomorrow. The only other issue is the steering is terrible. I am having that checked tomorrow as well. I think something is loose (perhaps a worn tie rod or ball joint). I can't complain too much, after all, it is almost 30 years old now!

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 02/20/08 12:15 AM

OK, just out of curiosity, what is the condition of the driver's floor panel? That's definitely where the dimmer switch SHOULD be...any chance someone rewired it and moved it to another location?

The T-bird was offered with all three automatics...the C-4, FMX, and C-6. But considering you have the 351M, I'd guess you have the FMX. If the tranny case is rusty, you have the FMX, as the case was cast iron. Otherwise I'd say you have the C-6, since the C-4 was reserved mostly for small blocks.

If you have REALLY sloppy steering, look at the rag joint between the steering shaft and the box. It's right below and slightly to the pass side from the brake booster. Back when these cars were new the joint was made from a "flexible" plastic, instead of the older, but more durable "mine belt", and as that plastic aged, it became brittle. I'd be surprised if ANY midsize car has its original joint. Certainly won't hurt to check your tie rods and ball joints, though.

And finally regarding the intermittent wipers...if you can find a junk truck before '92, or a car before '79 with intermittent wipers, grab the switch and ALL associated wiring a couple feet back from the dash. I believe there's a module right before the plug for the wiper harness, so you'll need that...otherwise the wiring is the same for the non-intermittent wipers.

Pat
Posted by: interceptor1985

1974 FORD Mk1 Capri 2000 4speed (it's german) - 02/20/08 04:16 AM

IT'S A FORD NOT MERCURY!
Posted by: cragantler1

Re: 1974 FORD Mk1 Capri 2000 4speed (it's german) - 02/25/08 10:49 AM

Boy, I haven't seen one of those in eons.

Re: 1974 FORD Mk1 Capri 2000 4speed (it's german) - 02/26/08 08:19 PM

You guys will be proud - I finally found the high-beam switch on my TBird. It was WAY further up the floorboard than I expected. I just didn't look up under there high enough! Works like a charm.

The poor bird is in the shop right now getting a lot of front end work done. Steering gearbox had so much play in it the car was dangerous, especially when braking hard. I am also getting some shiny new tires, new brakes, a transmission rear seal, and getting the kickdown rod adjusted. The thing refuses to downshift even at WOT.

Anyone know a good place in the mid-atlantic area (virginia, nc) to get a vinyl top replaced, or maybe a sunroof re-sealed?

-Michael
Posted by: mayro

My 460 cui Ford LTD Landau 1977 - 03/08/08 04:41 AM

Hi.. I am new in this forum..
I am not so good in writhing in English. But hope you will understand me anyway in future..Spellingprogram also help me. So I do my best..

Anyway. This is my Ford LTD landau 1977 that i just bring to Sweden from USA..

Re: My 460 cui Ford LTD Landau 1977 - 03/08/08 04:14 PM

That's one nice looking car
Posted by: Mercracer

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 03/10/08 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Aerobird88
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what transmissions were offered in the Thunderbird for '79? Mine has the 351M engine, but I am not sure about the transmission.

Whe you get your car back, just look at the Trans code on the door. U = C6, X = FMX,
Posted by: colognecapri

Re: 1974 FORD Mk1 Capri 2000 4speed (it's german) - 03/20/08 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: interceptor999

IT'S A FORD NOT MERCURY!

As you can see from my name, I used to own a 74 Mk1 2800 V-6 4 speed Capri that I bought from a senile old man. Based on your photo file names are you planning on making it a drift car?
Posted by: 88crownvic16

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/02/08 02:54 PM

Posted by: 88crownvic16

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/02/08 02:54 PM

my current car
Posted by: RyPow

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 05/29/08 03:02 PM

I will have a 1976 Ford Thunderbird in the driveway before June 15th. It has the 460 and C6 tranny, with 55,700 original miles. It was originally from Stratford, Ontario, Canada and was only winter driven in '76-77. It is in decent shape with some small minor rust areas. Beautiful underneath, all solid. It doesn't have one of the cool "Luxury Groups" but it was ordered with factory Sure-Track rear anti-lock brakes. Dark brown with brown cloth interior.

My intention is to have the car clean and lightly modified in the next couple seasons. This means getting rid of all the small rusty spots, and probably a full repaint, as well as fixing up the interior, Edelbrock Performer carb/intake, and H-pipe on the Magnaflow duals the previous (2nd) owner added. I'd like to have it at cruise nights by the middle of next summer.

I don't have pictures yet but they will come soon.
Posted by: 78fordltdpi

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/25/08 10:02 AM

Hi Guy's I am new here. I do own a 78 ford ltd police car with a 460 "c" code interceptor with 81,000 miles on it. It was in a barn since it was sold at auction in 84 and has set there up to two years ago when the guy I bought it from purchased it and left it outside for a few years.
I am working on it when time allows. Need a few parts from a 77 or 78 ford if you can help me out.
Posted by: JRD281

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/31/09 07:06 PM

I'm new here too, and I have a '79 T-Bird police package. No, it's not a factory option, but the suspension, cooling system. etc. came out of an LTD II cop car. The engine and tranny are out of a '73 Continental. It's a 460 bored 30 over, shaved heads, police oil pump, early style intake, thunderjet cam, and an a 625 CFM AFB carb. Rearend is a 3.25 open. It's 4000 pounds of tire-roasting fun (just one tire) :(. the exterior has been stripped of almost all the chrome, and the wheels/center caps are from a CVPI! The only feature the stands out os the hood scoop from a '71 Comet GT. I purposely made the car plain looking and painted the engine all blue. That's a good way to test and see if people REALLY know their car stuff...most people just look and see that there is no chrome and assume its a stock engine. I love it. I am trying to post some pictures of it, but i'm a n00b, so it may take a while.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/31/09 07:09 PM

[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=185241308&albumID=1376307&imageID=31115195[/img]

[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=185241308&albumID=1376307&imageID=30595014[/img]

[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=185241308&albumID=1376307&imageID=10291635[/img]

[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=185241308&albumID=1376307&imageID=5762362[/img]

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/31/09 07:12 PM

I'm not sure why the pictures aren't showing up...

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/04/09 11:35 PM

I'm gonna try again with these pics.

Posted by: moondog

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/08/09 10:30 AM

Here's my new toy. 1978 Grand Marquis 400-2v with 67,xxx original miles. The second owner installed dual exhausts with glasspacks on it, other than that it's basically untouched. It's an evening/weekend cruiser mostly and has won a couple show trophies.

Posted by: 04clone

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/08/09 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: JRD281
I'm gonna try again with these pics.

Dude, your car looks angry.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/08/09 10:39 PM

Thanks! I agree..it's angry. I named it "Oscar the Grouch" because of this. One of these days I'll have to take a picture of it with the headlight doors open. It looks 100x angrier that way.
Posted by: RunUover

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/06/09 02:53 AM

i did nt see any others but heres my maverick collection

i have a fully built 306 swapped into this one and swapped the big bumpers for the old small ones

this one has a 351w put in

and this one i got off ebay. it has a really powerfull sbf in it but i know nothing about the internals. its a first year 69.5 model but had a 5 lug swap and it needs every inch of those 15x12's to hook up

this one is now a parts car. its a comet but built on the maverick frame

Posted by: Darkmerc

Re: 1974 FORD Mk1 Capri 2000 4speed (it's german) - 04/20/09 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: interceptor999

IT'S A FORD NOT MERCURY!

As a kid back in Jamaica, I use to see these cars all over the place. they look even more [censored] with the front and rear spoiler.
Posted by: 78LTD460PI

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/26/09 03:48 PM

Here is my 1978 LTD Police Package Car. It was a CT State car and has been restored to such. It lives a comfortable life in a garage in FL now. \:\)

I also have another one (Why have just one of a good thing) that was a Mississippi State Police Car. It is a work in progress. I am having some sheet metal welded into it at the moment.

There are some awesome cars posted here. It is great seeing all these old Ford cars again. Keep them coming.....

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/29/09 03:05 AM

'70s Ford Police cars FTW!!! I have been fascinated with them my entire life. Did many of the older Ford police cars have silver bumper fillers or was that just the way yours was painted? My buddy has a black '91 Vic PI that has silver fillers also. I always thought it was cool looking.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/29/09 04:31 PM

It was orignal paint when I bought it. When I had it repainted they were already silver so I had them redone in silver. From what I was told that is way the CT state police painted their cars back then. I can't really speak to other older Ford Police Cars. Mainly because I have not seen that many. Back in the 70's Mopar had such a huge percent of the market for Police cars. That was mainly one of the reasons I picked this car up when I saw it. I had owed 3 Mopar 440 Police cars in my youth. I regret selling them now. Currently the Blue Ford has a carb issue at the moment. I will flood out after some spirited 4BBL operation. Very likely the floats. I just have not had time to work on it. Could be sticking, could need adjustment etc.

Thanks for the interest and comments.
\:\)
Posted by: g-man

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/01/09 01:54 PM

More interior pics?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/06/09 08:30 AM

I just her out July 4th Night. I wish I had seen the post. I will try to take her out again late this week and take some some pics to post.
Posted by: larryo340

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/06/09 11:35 AM

I just found this old picture and scanned it into photobucket. It's a 1976 Town Car with a 460 4bbl

Yes I pimped it out with a TV for the ride to spring break in Daytona. It had to be around the mid to late '80s

Posted by: tekkierich

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/06/09 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: larryo340
I just found this old picture and scanned it into photobucket. It's a 1976 Town Car with a 460 4bbl

Yes I pimped it out with a TV for the ride to spring break in Daytona. It had to be around the mid to late '80s

I love the shorts!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/06/09 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: tekkierich
I love the shorts!

Wut !!!

You're scaring me
Posted by: tekkierich

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/06/09 11:52 AM

/joke they just seem of a particular short, short vintage. We all had 'em ;-) it's ok

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/06/09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: tekkierich
/joke they just seem of a particular short, short vintage. We all had 'em ;-) it's ok

Yes, it was the '80s after all.

But on a side note, I wish I had that hair back
Posted by: Black_Panther

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/09/09 10:31 PM

Here's my blast from the past

My first car was a 1970 Maverick, base model, 6-cyl. auto, no options, not even a cig lighter or glovebox. It was a hand-me-down from my mom.

My next car was my choice, a '70 Mach-1 Mustang

That's my girlfriend (now wife) with my Mach-1 and her 67 coupe, circa 1982

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From past to present, here's some of my Ford projects now...

My 64 Galaxie 500...

My 70 Maverick "Grabber" project

My other 70 Maverick....

The 75 Mustang-II Mach-1...

Then it jumps to the 80's with my wife's 83 Mustang convertible, and my 87 5.0 and 88 351W T-Birds

And those are just the Fords!

Posted by: John_in_EGV

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/10/09 12:15 AM

My brother's '74 XR7 that he got for $800. Some old guy had it sitting in his garage for a few years. It had a bored and freshened 351 Cleveland with a 750 4bbl, built C6, 9" rear w/4.11s and 12" wide tires on old Ansen Sprints, long-tube headers and 2.5" Thrush Super Turbos. The body looked terrible, but the black interior was 99% perfect. And it was fast too: ran consistent low 14s. He sold it when gas went over $4.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/10/09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Black_Panther
My 70 Maverick "Grabber" project

My other 70 Maverick....

!

i like dem mavericks!, you see mine a few pages back?
Posted by: Black_Panther

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/12/09 04:08 PM

Quote:
i like dem mavericks!, you see mine a few pages back?

I did. My Grabber project is actually a 69.5 too.

The Mavs are cool cars, bare-bones, lightweight, easy to work on.

BTW, I know a great Maverick forum you might want to check out.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/21/09 05:41 PM

ya i think im a member of said forum, it is a great

i havent been on there much since it seemed like most of the posts are about v8 and 5 lug swaps or posts from people with mustang envy who just bought the maverick cause it was the closest thing they could afford

i do check in every so often to say hi or if i need help or a part. even if its a non-maverick car lol
Posted by: Briglad

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 08/28/09 05:51 PM

My old toy...

77 Ranchero GT 400M C-6 80,000 miles. Came from CA.

Unfortunately, thanks to late 70's fords being seemingly born already rusting... I had to scrap her a year ago. After it sat for 3 years after an accident. An El Camino of all things backed out of a driveway while I was in the way, waiting at a stop sign.

Brian
Posted by: Nigel87

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 09/13/09 11:32 PM

Yay! I can post in here now!
I figured the box wasn't big enough, so I had to go larger! Purchased this from the original owner today, 460. Overall good shape, but needs some work.

Posted by: Turbo301

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/03/09 12:27 PM

There sure is some awesome '70s iron on here!

Shown below is my '77 Cougar XR7. It is finished in light jade green (only offered by Ford from '77-'79) with dark jade top/interior, which was the exact same combo as on my uncle's long-gone '78. Unfortunately, unlike his, mine has almost no options: deluxe bumper group, bodyside mouldings, AM/FM stereo, dual sport mirrors with RH remote, and that's pretty much it. The base 302 still runs strong (that should be in quotes, as 134 hp isn't really "strong" in a car like this LOL). It has newer paint but original interior and exterior trim.

When I bought the car the XR7 trunk emblem had fallen off and was very faded, but luckily wasn't cracked or discoloured. I cleaned it off (with oven cleaner, works great!), repaintd it and re-installed it, and I think the results are pretty nice (see last pic).

I love the base wheel covers; not only are they not common on these Cougars, but the fact that Ford used the same basic disc from '71 on T-birds up through the '80s on Grand Marquis is a fun reminder of how car companies saved money :).

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/09/09 01:30 AM

NICE!! Jade interiors are awesome...I am in the process of restoring mine now. There aren't many of the '77-'79 midsize cars left these days. Yours really IS the plainest XR7 I have ever seen...it even has manual air vents. Check out my '79 T-Bird on page 7 of this same thread. Mine had a few options..most of which have been removed in the past 25 years.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/09/09 12:48 PM

Yeah, green is a tricky colour to make look good on an interior, but Ford hit it just right, I think. I've never seen it paired with another exterior combo besides the light jade/dark jade roof, but I'm assuming you could also get it with black and white, at least?

Your T-bird (the green one with the hood scoop, right?) is the most aggressive I've ever seen these cars be! It gives us a very good look at what Ford could have offered in the way of mid-sized muscle if it had stuck with the concept. Nicely done!

My Cougar is the first car I've ever had that has the manual air vents, and let me tell ya, I think they're the greatest thing! My '80 Trans Am has A/C, and its "vent" setting is useless... for that matter, so is the one in my CV, my relatives' Mazdas, pretty much any car that has A/C. The air is much cooler and much more forceful with the manual vents. Obviously, working A/C is cooler, but still not as forceful. I'd gladly trade the heavy A/C equipment in my T/A for manual vents! Same goes with manual windows over power windows. Let's face it, the older a car gets, the more equipment goes wrong with it, and the harder it is to fix/find replacement parts. Keep it simple, that's what I say!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/12/09 10:28 PM

You could get jade with a few colors. A friend of mine had a '77 T-bird that was green with a white top and a two-tone jade/white interior..kinda like the Mach one style with green carpet and dash with white seats and door panels.

I have also seen a few that were white with a green top. I needed a new dash pad for my car during restoration, and green is a real bear to find. I got lucky and found a NOS green dash pad still in the Ford box from 1978 for $200. I also have a couple extra armrests and door panels. I buy any jade interior parts I can find because mine are old and brittle and that color is so rare.

I also have a burgundy '79 Thunderbird Heritage (loaded with every option) that is pretty much all original with 73k on it...that's my next project. Luckily all the power crap still works..minus the door lock actuators.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/13/09 12:52 PM

I really like the coloured carpet/dash and white seats combination. You could get that on Firebirds in the '70s, too, and it is very smart.

I've seen a light jade '79 XR7 with a white roof, but never saw the interior. It creates an entirely different vibe from the same colour with a dark green top.

Good score on the dash pad, that's a very good deal!

There's a very good condition Heritage T-bird that is a regular at our local cruise nights (I think it's for sale, even, although as I recall he wants too much for it). They're nice cars with lots of attention to detail, the kind that no automaker would apply now! Things like colour-matched wheel paint, bumper rub strips, the full vinyl rear roof covering, etc.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/17/09 03:33 AM

Well, I have talked about it but never posted pics, so I figured now was a good time to do so. I have a 1979 Thunderbird Heritage with 73k miles on it. Pretty much original. 351M, FMX trans, 9" rear with a 2.75 open. It was re-painted back in the '80s but that's about all that was done to it. Here's a little history on the car...it was bought new by a man from Germany (for around $12,000 in 1978) and shipped over there. It spent 6 years or so in Germany and then came back over here and was sold to someone else. The second owner had it for about 5 years and sold it to a lady I know. She drove it from 1990 till around 1995 and then parked it in the garage. I think she got it out and drove it around the block a few times but for the past 13 years it just sat. Luckily by the time I bought it, it was still preserved really well. It is in deperate need of an engine (351M's sucked from the factory) because it looses oil pressure when it warms up. I have a 400 that is going in. It has every power option EXCEPT a moonroof. Everything works but the power locks. Not bad for a musty old car that has been sitting for that long. It's almost rust free...except for 2 small spots at the bottom of the fenders. For now, it's just sitting in my yard until I get the time/money to restore it. It wouldn't look too bad the way it is if I actually cleaned it up a bit. I hope to fix this car up for my wife so we can have "his" and "hers" '79 T-Birds for the shows...one plain and fast, the other fancy and slow. Anyway, her are some pics of the car...the way I drug it out of the garage...13 years worth of dust and mold and other crap...

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/20/09 12:43 PM

That's a nice Hertiage T-bird! The wide whites look great on there, too (and are hard to get from anything but a specialty outlet now!). It's definitely a car worth saving.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/20/09 07:05 PM

Thank You! I thought about selling it because I don't have the time or money to restore it...but I decided to keep it until I DO have the time and money to do it. I may be 60 years old by then, but as long as I keep preserving the car, it should be fine. I have seen these cars go for BIG money at auction and stuff in really good shape...like $20,000-$35,000. Let's just say I bought this car for a little more than what I paid for my NOS dash pad on the green car and it has potential of being a really nice car someday. Until then, I am not even cleaning the dust and dirt off of it. It is probably protecting the remainder of the car.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/22/09 12:34 PM

LOL! That is an amazing deal, if it was only slightly more than your dash pad! Heck, even for 5X your dash pad, it appears to be a heck of a good deal.

The superb one at our local cruise nights (it has sunroof) is for sale for something like $10k (probably lower now), which I considered at the time to be over-priced. I can't even imagine anyone paying over $20k for even the best one in the world, unless it's at Barret-Jackson or something, where no one keeps their heads or pocket books where they should :). Still, there's no denying they'll be going up in value as older large cars are getting out of sight and, I'd like to think, more people become admirers of the nice touches automakers applied to cars of the disco era. You'll never see that kind of attention to detail again, out of cost or quality considerations if nothing else.
Posted by: rookies86vic

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/13/09 06:39 PM

Those two cars bring me back to my 79 LTD II. It was a plain jane car man, manual vents, no air, no power options. I loved that car and would love another one. Not as good looking as the cougar or T bird but it sure had personality!!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/30/09 10:55 PM

So many great cars in here. It is nice to see some other Thunderbirds from 77-79 in here as well. The '79 I posted earlier in this thread was sold last year to a really nice TBird collector in North Carolina. I keep in touch with him, and had been itching to get another TBird of this style. I recently ran across one in Roanoke, VA not far from where I live. The man that owned it had passed away and his son and wife were selling the TBirds that he had. This 1978 Diamond Jubilee was the last one left to sell. It has VERY high miles (220k) but still runs great and has been well cared for. It sat for 2 years before I bought it, so it has needed some TLC, but overall I am happy with it. I am trying to decide what to do with it overall - either work to restore it to its original condition, or work to restore it to a non-original (more performance oriented) condition. Given its age and the amount of non-stock modifications already done to it, right now I am leaning towards the latter. What do you guys think?

The heating and air conditioning system is where I am having my most trouble. The previous owner modified a lot of things, and the wiring is so different from the stock wiring diagrams it has me very confused. Part of me is tempted to just remove it all rather than try to repair it, but I don't want to do something hasty that I would regret later, especially since there is really very little performance value gained from an A/C delete on a car this big.

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/01/09 01:29 AM

That thing looks amazing for having 220k on it. Get some center caps and some pin stripe and you're good to go. I am restoring my '79 Heritage to stock appearance, but upgrading a lot of things and getting rid of all the emissions stuff. These were good looking cars and I don't think they should be messed with a whole lot in the looks department if they are a special model such as the jubilee or heritage...my green '79 looks pretty badass in muscle car form. It's all open to what you think looks good and works well. Right now, I have both extremes...a plain jane, stripped '79 with a big block, and a heavily optioned '79 Heritage that is the slowest thing I have ever driven.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/01/09 07:11 AM

Yes your green '79 is awesome. I love the wheels/tires. I don't plan on changing too much at all about the outside, although I was wondering if it were even possible to do a vinyl top delete. This vinyl top needs replacing, and I have some rust just starting to form along the top trim strip on the roof. I have no idea what it looks like underneath all that stuff. I know on some cars I have seen, when it was ordered with a vinyl top, they didn't bother smoothing weld points and other items like that and so the body looks pretty rough underneath.

How rare are the Diamond Jubilees/Heritage editions?

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/01/09 08:01 PM

You are right about the vinyl top cars not being finished underneath. My green car originally had a top, and when we took it off, it was ugly underneath. They just kinda slapped the vinyl overtop a partially finished roof. The seems were not smooth, and stuff like that. What I don't know is what is under the vinyl on the cars without the large quarter windows. I am assuming they are just sheet metal under there like the NASCAR T-Birds of the day, but I have never torn one apart to see.

I don't really know about the rarity of the Diamond Jubilee, but I do know they were around $11,000 in '78. The base model (like my green one) was less then $6,000. I can't imagine too many people bought them.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/01/09 11:28 PM

I really don't care much for vinyl tops, but I am pretty sure you are correct. I am also not sure what is under the part where the rear quarter windows would be. It feels too weak to be sheet metal, but it would sure be nice if it were. I suppose even if it is unfinished, I could still remove the top and have some body work done to make it look nice. I will have to do some homework on that.

As far as the rarity of the Diamond Jubilee, the only numbers I have ever seen are on the following website:

1977-1979 Thunderbird Information

According to that site, 18,994 Diamond Jubilee Edition Tbirds were made for the '78 model year out of 352,752 total production. Apperently the 77-79 body style was one of the best selling of them all.

If this one were in better shape under the hood and on the inside, I believe I would be more apt to restore it to a stock condition. I plan on leaving the outside alone except for the vinyl top, but on the inside and under the hood anything is game. The A/C system wiring is incredibly screwed up. I have wires melted all over the place behind the dash and nothing seems to work - not even the blower motor. I am seriously considering just removing most of it and installing a small heater setup in there for the winter. None of my other cars have A/C anyway. I haven't done it yet though, just trying to think it all through before I go tearing something off I will regret later.

A windshield leak has caused the carpet on the drivers side to be wet for quite some time, and it is basically ruined. I removed it, but I think I am going to repair the leak and order new carpet at some point.

The other thing I found in working on the A/C system, trying to replace the blower motor which I thought was bad, was that at some point before I bought it some mice thought the evaporator box would make a nice home. The entire blower motor housing and evaporator housing was filled with stuffing and nasty mouse poo. No wonder the car smelled! And I thought it was just old people smell LOL. Here is a picture looking at the passenger side floorboard with the blower motor housing removed. You can see the evaporator box filled to the brim!

The more I cleaned, the more dampness/mouse mess I found with the carpet, so I eventually gave up and ripped it out. The floor pans and seat braces are in impressively good shape. The car overall is solid as a rock. No rust at all.

Anyways, I know I have written a novel here. These cars are a lot of fun. I have had several Crown Vics and loved them all, and these TBirds are a blast as well. They just don't build them like this anymore!

-Michael

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/04/09 02:12 AM

Wow. That floor is surprisingly clean. You may want to inspect the insulated parts a little closer. They like to rust through underneath the insulation. I took ALL the insulation out of my green 'Bird because most of it was destroyed. I had to buy new carpet too. Mine was pretty nasty from many years of use as the family beater car. I got mine for around $150, but I can't remember where I got it. I feel you on the mouse issues. My car sat for too long and the mice made a mess out of everything. Luckily they didn't eat any wiring.

Here's some pictures I found of mine from 2005. Thats what my floor looked like when i pulled out the carpet and insulation. An there's one of the many mouse nests I found throughout the car.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/04/09 02:28 AM

Here is a picture of my brother's car. It is a project car that he started about 4 years ago and then never finished. It's a '74 Ranchero Squire. Copper (I think it's called Chestnut Metallic), with a black/white interior. Originally a California car. 351C, FMX tranny, 3.00 rear, dual exhaust with an H-pipe, factory A/C, but no other power options, 163,000 miles. Someone tore all the woodgrain off long ago and just primered over where it was. The previous owner pulled the engine in '94 with the plans of putting a 460 in it, but never did. The 351 is now in my basement in pieces. Luckily, the only rust is surface rust from being tarped in a damp area. There are no holes and the frame, inner fenders, and other areas that like to rust on these cars. There is some damage on the right side from a careless driver about 20 years ago. Hopefully someday he finishes it. I have been to Carlisle and other large Ford meets many times and only ever seen a few of the '73-'76 Rancheros..but never another Squire. If anyone has a passenger's side door and/or fender in good shape for a '73-'76 Torino/Ranchero, let me know.

Posted by: occupant

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/09/09 02:47 AM

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread. I'll keep it short and sweet because I have my own topic in this forum (It took me TWELVE YEARS)

1976 Ford Gran Torino sedan, 9D Polar White, blue cloth interior, AM radio, 351M engine, FMX transmission, 2.75 open 9" rear, 14" wheels, AC, PS, PB, no other options. Bought from an Oklahoma City pawn shop's eBay listing 10/08 for $355. It had a twig stuck in the throttle linkage and idled REAL high. Fixed that, replaced the battery cables, cleaned it up a bit, did the rear brakes, got it inspected, and I drive it as often as possible for short trips (10-20 miles each way, it warms up just right). 750 miles put on it so far in a year. And it's used 10 quarts of oil in that time. 15 miles per gallon of gas, 300 miles per gallon of oil. I'm ok with that. Now on to the pictures:

Me and the car after completing the rear brake job but before putting the hubcaps back on.

Front seat area (carpet has since been removed)

My view going down the road, perfection!

87500 when I bought it, 88250 after parking it from a Taco Bell run tonight.

The tired, worn, loosened up, boat anchor of a 351M. Gobs of torque though.

Watch my thread for the updates. I'll post tomorrow (gotta go to bed now) about the vast right-wing conspiracy to keep me from discovering the treasure I found in the trunk. For now, two more pictures, of the '76 Gran Torino 3-seat wagon I'm stripping for parts for this monster.

The day after I got it.

The header panel, taillights, and some interior bits are off thus far.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/13/09 06:45 PM

Let me know what you aren't using off of the wagon. I may be interested in fenders and such for my brother's Ranchero. It's even the same factory color!
Posted by: notav8gt

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/13/09 11:57 PM

2 king cobrasand a svo

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/14/09 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: notav8gt
2 king cobrasand a svo

Well, the SVO isn't from the '70s like this thread was meant for, but let's see the King Cobras! I am assuming you are trying to tell us that you have 2 of them..but I am not sure.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/19/10 12:37 AM

I really should create my own thread for my car, but I haven't yet. I got it out to play in the snow a few days ago. Took some pics and a couple short videos while it was out. Don't worry...I kept it in the driveway and out of the salt...

This is a quick walk-around video while it was warming up..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ilh-O_jxtI

Just a quick underhood shot with a few revs. This was taken for the folks who didn't believe I had a 460-powerd T-Bird...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtWfxnNpzs
Posted by: CNGInterceptor

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/21/10 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: JRD281
I really should create my own thread for my car, but I haven't yet. I got it out to play in the snow a few days ago. Took some pics and a couple short videos while it was out. Don't worry...I kept it in the driveway and out of the salt...

This is a quick walk-around video while it was warming up..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ilh-O_jxtI

Just a quick underhood shot with a few revs. This was taken for the folks who didn't believe I had a 460-powerd T-Bird...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtWfxnNpzs

I absolutely LOVE your T-Bird. I hope my Galaxie comes out HALF as clean as that when I'm through!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/27/10 11:40 PM

All the snow we've had in central Virginia lately has been crazy. The funniest thing is, out of the three cars I have, my TBird is the only one that goes in the snow. And I mean that bird GOES. I pulled 3 other cars out of ditches, plowed some usable tracks down my grandmother's gravel driveway for her to get out, and shuttled several friends back and forth to work when their cars were stuck. What an army tank, even with rear wheel drive. The only time I had issues was on slick ice uphill - the back end broke loose really easily if I was in the gas more than just a tiny bit.

Posted by: DunorGT

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/10/10 08:37 PM

My other ride.

Posted by: StealthBomber

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/11/10 12:22 PM

My '71 Montego, 302 2barrel C4 trans. I've got another one of these with a 351 Cleveland 4 barrel that i'm building.

This one was recently used in a short film for a contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFzuwRJ2kw

Posted by: 22lbsofboost

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 03/06/11 12:15 AM

that green t bird is badass!
Posted by: eliteman76

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/22/11 11:26 AM

Been a while since I posted on my GTS.
Took it from bard to Joe Dirt status to polished state.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/makin-pr...n-nap-find.html
if you want the full history.

Sleeping 17 years:

Joe Dirt:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/makin-pr...n-nap-find.html

More current:

Posted by: Quatrelle

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 07/11/11 04:34 PM

Well, I am not new to this forum, but will post my ride here as well, since this is the appropriate topic. I own two Mercs, 1 is my 1st. owner 1997 LS and the beaut below, the 1977 Grand Marquis, also 1st. owner (from Ontario, Canada). Imported to the Netherlands in 2008. Stood in a barn for a couple of years, waiting for a new owner.

Dove grey, first paint. Everything still works like the first day it rolled of the line and the first owner had the climate control converted to R134a.

Bought it last year as I just could not resist this automobile which happened to be in a superb condition. A no rust, all original survivor.
Don't let the Cali plates fool you, I just happen to love California. It is my favorite place to spend my holidays.
The original badge of the Calgary dealership is still on the trunk lid > Universal.

Only mod I did was new mufflers and stainless steel rear piping, 3 inch diameter. I wanted to hear what was guzzling all that gas away. What do you guys think, is the sound okay?

Start up 1977 Mercury Grand Marquis with Trush welded mufflers

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he - 08/17/11 05:45 AM

Small update:

Besides the nice original hubcaps, I have acquired Police Dog Dishes.

With the rims in body colour, I kinda like it.

Posted by: JonW

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/11/11 11:15 AM

It seems like I can't stray very far. I just picked up a really nice 1972 Lincoln Continental coupe. Only 10,000 of them made, so they're not very common. I'm the 2nd owner and it has 86K on the clock.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/24/11 08:57 AM

Awesome Linc! Nice color too!

Could not resist and made some nice retro photos

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Bowtie/int2.jpg[/img]
Posted by: elgemcdlf

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/30/11 04:25 PM

1970 F100 SWB, 2005 CVPI IFS with 1 1/2" drop springs, shaved handles, shaved wipers, power tinted windows, tilt, 1995 TBird IRS, functional fender scoops. Patiently waiting for the 460/C6 install.

Posted by: Fairlane500

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/16/12 09:46 PM

70 Fairlane 500. 466CID, C6 3:50 trac loc, buckets/console

I know it said 70s but I'll just put all my junk here

Wife's 68 Fairlane 500 302/C4. Someday AOD

My wife and her 68 with my 70. She just finished chemo and radiation treatment for breast cancer. This was our 1st carshow together

Crap that's gone frown

My 93 boosted 5 speed notch. 85 T bird 2.3. 1 year only color
superfun project

62 F 100 Unibody 429/C6 3:00 open rear

Posted by: Fairlane500

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 04/16/12 10:00 PM

next few Fords

429/4 speed, drag pack, ram air CJ Torino GT parts car.
Lost my ass parting this car. Still not sure how.

1970 Torino wagon. 89 5.0/AOD. best running car I ever had.
Sold it. Next owner smoked a deer

1970 Ford Torino Formal roof. 460/C6 3:00.
Throttle stuck internal to the carb. Hit two trees

1970 Torino. 460/C6, triple black
Throttle stuck, spun hit two trees

Various other F 150s...
Posted by: p71slag

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 05/04/12 01:10 AM

1972 Mercury Cougar, 351 Cleveland

Posted by: Bulldog5_oh

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 05/04/12 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: DunorGT
My other ride.

SWEET!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Derek19CrownVic

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 05/10/12 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_E
Awesome Linc! Nice color too!

Could not resist and made some nice retro photos

beautiful !
Posted by: turbokev

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/10/12 03:11 PM

I've had a bunch of Fords in my life..
Figured I'd post one of the cool ones..
(car has since been sold to a Ford collector in Georgia)

I bought this car from the original woman owner in Kerrville Texas back in 2007. She was selling this, and her recently deceased husbands F series pickup truck.
They had bought the truck and the LTD the same day from the same dealership back in 1971.

I paid $3000 for the LTD.. it had 72,500 miles on it. All the paint was original, so was the top. It was a garaged car so the sun didn't eat it up too badly.

It had a 400 2bbl, AC and tilt..but that was about it for options.

When I got it home, I tuned it up, added an Edlebrock manifold and 4 bbl carb. I also added a set of 1969 Tbird sport hubcaps.

It was a gas hog.. dont think I ever got over 10 mpg, but it turned heads and got thumbs up everywhere I went..

Posted by: 88LTDCV351

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/10/12 07:01 PM

Nice. God I love these cars!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/11/12 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: turbokev

I bought this car from the original woman owner in Kerrville Texas back in 2007. She was selling this, and her recently deceased husbands F series pickup truck.
They had bought the truck and the LTD the same day from the same dealership back in 1971.

I paid $3000 for the LTD.. it had 72,500 miles on it. All the paint was original, so was the top. It was a garaged car so the sun didn't eat it up too badly.

When I got it home, I tuned it up, added an Edlebrock manifold and 4 bbl carb. I also added a set of 1969 Tbird sport hubcaps.

It was a gas hog.. dont think I ever got over 10 mpg, but it turned heads and got thumbs up everywhere I went..

I absolutely love 1971-1972 Ford LTD/Galaxie/Custom 500s

I'd buy any affordable one I see if I could!

You wouldn't happen to know the part number of that 4BBL Edelbrock intake you used, do you? I'm looking to do the same for mine.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/11/12 07:58 AM

Manifold was a 2171 and the carb was a 1406

Worked perfectly.. I didn't do the cam or touch the heads.

I like the old full sized Fords as well..
My first car was a 70 Galaxie 2 door..
I also had a 71 4 door with keystone classics on it at one point.
Then there was the 70-71 Tbirds with the huge pointy noses..Had 3 of those over the years as well smile

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/12/12 11:49 PM

Manifold was a 2171 and the carb was a 1406

Thank you so much!
Posted by: RockCrusher

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/14/12 10:53 PM

I've only ever cried twice. Once when I was born and once when I saw the pictures of that black Torino on the wrecker...

1970 Torino. 460/C6, triple black
Throttle stuck, spun hit two trees

Various other F 150s... [/quote]

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/18/12 03:22 PM

These pics are about 20 years old.. Had this 1971 Thunderbird in 1993 or so..

Really loaded special Brougham edition with bucket seats, and very rare factory power moon roof (only 100 made)

Let a friend borrow it.. got the call the next day..He fell asleep and went through a telephone pole, then into a tree.

Car was toast, he just got a bloody nose.

Posted by: thedanned

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/18/13 11:38 PM

Finally found my old car pics! Been looking for these for a while... Its amazing what turns up when you move.

My first car, a 1973 Gran Torino 302/C4(actually have no idea what trans was in it lol) dark green interior with literally a couch for a back seat and one-finger power steering. Bought it from the original owner up the street for 1200. Me and my friend stuck a cherry bomb on the single exhaust and thought we were collectively the man. Damn I miss this one. You can see my dad's 89 Audi 200 Turbo and 78 K20 in the background.

I was about 17 here 1998/9. Notice the sweet pager and JNCOs lol

1970 Torino. Bought it from my friend's dad. He had built a high compression 429 with the good heads (DOVE-C? I dont remember) and a close ratio C6 using a 4R70 planetary set I think, 3:73s and a ratchet shifter. Pretty fkn quick though I never ran it. I never seem to run anything I have at the track...

Unfortunately this is the only pic I have of it. I think I was replacing the heater core here.

And a friend's 1967 Galaxie 390/whatever trans it had. Sweet car. Had dual blown out glass packs exiting in front of the rear tires. Actually three different friends owned it during our junior and senior years of HS. I forget who owned it when this pic was taken. My 84 GN in the background.

Posted by: MIAMI-DADE

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/23/13 11:32 AM

I had a 72 LTD with the 351..I was not too bad on gas..It was a awesome road car..The a/c in it would have easily cooled off a 7 room house.
Posted by: CJCCV

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/26/13 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: thedanned

And a friend's 1967 Galaxie 390/whatever trans it had. Sweet car. Had dual blown out glass packs exiting in front of the rear tires. Actually three different friends owned it during our junior and senior years of HS. I forget who owned it when this pic was taken. My 84 GN in the background.

Not to nitpick, but that's actually a '67 LTD. Note the circular crest/emblem behind rear-side window. A Galaxie 500 of that vintage would've a name badge along the rear-fender. See below-pics.

Posted by: thedanned

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 06/26/13 03:31 PM

Good to know! I said that because i remember everyone referring to it as the Galaxie but come to think about it i dont remember it actually saying Galaxie on it anywhere.
Posted by: Alex07

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 09/11/13 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: thedanned
a high compression 429 with the good heads (DOVE-C? I dont remember) and a close ratio C6

You'll never guess what this animal has under the hood wink
Posted by: Wags4000

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 09/13/13 11:05 PM

Pics (under hood) or it didnt happen :-)

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 09/14/13 07:49 AM

It looks great Alex!
Posted by: DudeAbides

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 09/17/13 01:21 AM

These pics are about 20 years old.. Had this 1971 Thunderbird in 1993 or so..

Really loaded special Brougham edition with bucket seats, and very rare factory power moon roof (only 100 made)

Let a friend borrow it.. got the call the next day..He fell asleep and went through a telephone pole, then into a tree.

Car was toast, he just got a bloody nose.

argue
After you punched him in the face?

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 09/23/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Wags4000

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/01/13 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex07

bow bow bow
Sweetness
Posted by: NinoBlack1

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/01/13 11:14 PM

epic post

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/02/13 10:08 PM

banana

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/23/13 12:14 PM

1977 Continental Town Car. 41k, opera window delete. In need of some TLC but a solid car that lived it's whole life in Barrie, Ontario. This is from when I hauled it home in September.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/23/13 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: RyPow
1977 Continental Town Car. 41k, opera window delete. In need of some TLC but a solid car that lived it's whole life in Barrie, Ontario. This is from when I hauled it home in September.

hot damn! that's a beaut
it looks 40' long in the pic lol

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/23/13 02:36 PM

hot damn! that's a beaut
it looks 40' long in the pic lol

Thanks, and yes, it's the textbook definition of a land yacht!

Here's my other '70s beasts: two 1978 Mark V Diamond Jubilee Editions. The one on the left (no sunroof) is the first one I acquired, now for sale. The one on the right is one of 1400 blue sunroof-equipped DJEs and is a long-term project.

'79 slicktop parts car. C-pillar donor for my project '78:

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/24/13 03:30 PM

very nice group of lincolns.
what engine did the 78's have? 460

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 10/28/13 03:41 PM

very nice group of lincolns.
what engine did the 78's have? 460

Yup, both of them have the 460. Very rare to see a Jubilee with the 400 although they are out there. I've been trying to sell the non-sunroof one for a while, and the sunroof car with the bad C-pillars is waiting patiently in my shop for some attention.
Posted by: GrandMarq9807

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/04/13 11:08 PM

My '72 Comet GT I bought as a unfinished project... Yes it's missing some pieces but are in the trunk, I need to buy the stripe kit...

While she'd been treated to new interior, a great paint job with trim removed, new glass, etc the engine compartment was a total mess... Yes it was complete(don't seem to have a pict before dissemble) and ran OK...

This started as a water replacement and then it snowballed(yes I bolted the new pump in place, now on fresh engine)...

I removed almost everything possible, pict of engine compartment in mid restoration... The C4 is fresh with new bands, clutches, etc, has maybe 50 mi or it would be out as well...

Finished...

Rebuilt '92 Stang 306 a couple minutes prior to breathing first breath... Has a set of Pro-Comp heads(on engine when I got it), Weiand 8020 intake and the smallest Lunati Voodoo cam offered for a Ford smallblock, Holley 600 etc... Will also have a set of Doug Thorley headers when installed...

First try at starting...

Oops someone forgot to tighten nut on alternator shaft(yeah me)...
Falls off and lands just under center of radiator...

http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/xxAMxx/media/Comet/firststart_zpsc98b63d9.mp4.html

Second try...

http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/xxAMxx/media/Comet/secondtry_zpsb302136d.mp4.html

New & freshened components waiting for install...

I sure hope someone knows where this stuff goes...

New '69 Torino disc brakes installed... Maverick/Comet did not have a disc brake option until 1974(can you imagine that?)

Parts pile was thinning out so I decided to assemble the steering linkage... Still needs pressure & return hoses, a couple nuts tightened, cotter keys installed and she'll be ready to bolt in... Probably gonna wait till engine is in place so there won't be anything in the way of fitting engine to trans...

Parts are starting to find their way home...

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/07/13 04:08 PM

That's awesome GrandMarq!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/08/13 12:05 AM

Thanks, 'preciate it...

Engine compartment is mostly finished, mainly wiring harness still needs some attention and reinstalled...

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 11/11/13 10:26 PM

Lookin' good!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/14/13 03:22 PM

After having to pull it back out twice because of a aftermarket torque converter that set too far foward in the bellhousing(had to send it back and get another), the engine is finally in the hole...

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/16/13 09:58 AM

drool
Posted by: castrosua

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/27/14 04:26 AM

Hey everyone. Glad to see the love for the 70s cars.

Ive loved big cars before i got big enough to need one lol

The first car i ever rode in was my dad's 72 Continental
[img]https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...amp;oe=544DEF39[/img]

My dad loved it too, but he lent it out to somebody and she broke down, and that was the end of it. But i HAD to get one. So 5 years ago i came across one, the same dark metallic brown, with tabacco vinyl top and interior.

Shes a great car, reliable and cheap (a LOT cheaper to maintain than my Crown Vic..go figure)

Still, im always looking for parts (more stuff to put in my kitchen cupboards and walk in closets,because arent they meant to store parts?) I come across this parts car. A triple black 73, but with 45k on it, and dual exhaust, a ton of new parts the seller wasnt aware of, it became a project

Thats my buddies 75 Mark IV behind..and my poor Crown Vic sport thats waiting to be fix. (had a wreck..some dumb lady cut in front of me on the highway..but He will get fixed again)

I guess you can tell i love Lincolns though lol

[img]http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=25117&mode=view[/img]

Thats the same friends 72 this time. You know we had to take those pictures.

That last one just wont post huh...maybe too much awesomeness in one picture.

Also i see a lot of guys from the Lincoln forum on here too. Who said you cant love 70s Lincolns and panthers too
Posted by: kurt

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 08/02/14 09:07 AM

That pic form the 70s is great. I'd love to have a time machine just to walk through parking lots form the 70s, 60s, 50s. So on and so on.
Posted by: FCV96

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 08/03/14 05:31 PM

Allow me to express my sincerest envy, castrosua! laugh
Posted by: castrosua

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 08/03/14 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: FCV96
Allow me to express my sincerest envy, castrosua! laugh

That made me chuckle...they are a handful, but they have their own personality..and so fun to drive

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/15/14 10:17 PM

Finally together & running... Still need to get a decent set of plug wires...

Now has earned her stripes...

Posted by: Moby_Vic

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/17/14 08:36 AM

Wow, that's clean!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/31/14 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Moby_Vic
Wow, that's clean!

Thanks! Appreciate it...

What hasn't been mentioned about it is, excepting for drive train it was totally dissembled when painted... Weather stripping, ALL glass and much of the trim are NOS or repo parts...

Before repaint it was beyond ugly...

Posted by: Chaplian

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/31/14 11:52 AM

That is one sexy Comet!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 12/31/14 10:46 PM

Thanks!! Pict in better light...

When I first got it back together the orig V8 springs proved too stiff for the aluminum heads, intake, headers etc... Had to swap them out for a set of 6cyl springs(lucked into a new set for $20)...

Nose bleed special...

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/02/15 08:34 AM

The car came out great!
Posted by: MIAMI-DADE

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/18/15 08:18 AM

That Comet looks AWESOME!!

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/21/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CNGInterceptor
The car came out great!

Originally Posted By: MIAMI-DADE
That Comet looks AWESOME!!

Thanks guys I'm still piddling with it...

New Holley carb developed a leak that I thought was from the front bowl gasket, but turned out to be the seal on lower left bowl bolt...

I can't complain, the carb was new in box straight from Holley and was free... How you say??

A buddy bought one that started giving him trouble after a year so repl it with a E'brock and set the Holley on shelf... Well he'd already tried to give it away and another friend couldn't get it to run right either...

I can rebuild Holleys in my sleep so I'm thinking piece o cake, wrong, when I opened it was full of corrosion like blisters... So after a half hour on the net I find out it one of a batch of defective carbs and Holly will replace it free, all I have in it is the shipping to them... Exact same carb at Advance is $311, of course can be bought cheaper online, Jeg's, Summet etc...

Posted by: akr619

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 07/02/15 02:20 PM

my personal favorite is the mercury cougar
Posted by: MBurns

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/27/18 04:54 PM

My new 1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car in triple red with the 400M.

I've had this one for a couple months now and it's kept me busy grin . Mostly been trying to track down a rough idle problem. Just replaced the sagging rear springs and removed most of the emissions junk this weekend. It's good company for my red '06 Town Car and my favorite car I've owned yet. Love the ride and comfort, and this has always been my favorite year for this style with the mini wheel skirts. Needs a little paint touch up here and there and has a little rust under the vinyl roof. A lot of people complain about the 400 being underpowered but I find this one quite adequate, lots of torque. And the steering is unreal how light it is, never experienced anything like it. but that was the goal back then, take all the effort out of driving and it does.

Posted by: Becker34

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/28/18 12:49 AM

^ Photobucket ate all your pics, can only see the last one. Love those cars. My first car was a '79 that I got for $80.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/28/18 07:04 PM

I tried to attach some more pics. Did you have the two or the four door? I like the 79s, especially the collector's series in dark blue. These late 70s Continentals are by far my favorite cars, as much as I like the newer Panthers for daily driver duty.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 01/28/18 07:06 PM

interior pic
Posted by: billbishop7575

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/13/19 11:32 AM

My buddy had a 68 mercury montery fastback. [censored] was you could no longer get front brake pads for it or something, they were oddly specific to that year, so we had to switch it back over to drum brakes on the front.

390 with glass packs, thing sounded awesome.
Posted by: a_d_a_m

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/14/19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By billbishop7575
My buddy had a 68 mercury montery fastback. [censored] was you could no longer get front brake pads for it or something, they were oddly specific to that year
Not sure what the issue was back then, but RockAuto currently specs multiple front disc/pad options for the '68 Monterey.

Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here - 02/15/19 11:14 AM

The '68 would have a single piston caliper, should have used same pads as '68 Galaxie/LTD.

The '67 used a four piston caliper that was unique to year, spindles same as drum brakes. I'll guess those were larger than same year Mustang/Fairlane/Cyclone/Cougar etc.

Soo jest is, if it was a '68 converted disc using '67 backing plates, calipers etc, pads may not have been available.