Digital dashboard display

Posted by: DES

Digital dashboard display - 10/27/11 01:32 PM

Hello this is my first post - sorry if this is the wrong section to put this- I have a 2000 grand Marquis ls. The problem is the digital dashboard only works on 2/3 the gas and temp gauge work and the speedo and odometer work the information center on the right does not. A while ago if it were cold or damp out it occasionally worked. Has anyone had success at repairing this problem I read that cold solder can cause this I have pulled the cluster and checked the plugs and all were tight. I'm hesitant to take the cluster apart as the cars a daily driver and digital clusters are hard to find if I ruinthis one

Thanks
Posted by: Chevyguy

Re: Digital dashboard display - 10/27/11 08:27 PM

The 96-97 town car has has the same display as Your car. My 96 lost mph bunch of stuff would come and go. Got another cluster all is good. Solder connection for harness plugs goes bad

Re: Digital dashboard display - 10/27/11 10:28 PM

yeah i have thought about just getting a new cluster from the junkyard they only want about $30 dollars at the picknpulls by me. The only worry is the mileage not reading right unless that is stored elsewhere than the cluster. Might check the solders this weekend when i do my heated mirror swap. thanks for the reply i wasn't sure if the towncar clusters swapped now i have more sources to pull one from.
Posted by: Chevyguy

Re: Digital dashboard display - 10/30/11 12:08 PM

Yeah miles will be wrong, plus you can't see what the used one has. The one I got was only 2000 miles more than the original 239K at the time!! You can try to re-solder the connector pins while using the $30 panel.

Re: Digital dashboard display - 10/30/11 10:36 PM

yeah i went to the junkyard saturday and all the cars were pretty picked over and the few digital clusters were broken or scratched up. If i get a used one maybe there is a way i can get it reset or matched to my current mileage.
Posted by: Ponyguy

Re: Digital dashboard display - 10/31/11 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: DES
yeah i went to the junkyard Saturday and all the cars were pretty picked over and the few digital clusters were broken or scratched up. If i get a used one maybe there is a way i can get it reset or matched to my current mileage.

Before I went to that trouble, I'd try to fix the one you already have. When dash lights fail after a number of years and miles, bulb replacement and connector clean/repair usually solves the problems.
Posted by: gberg

Re: Digital dashboard display - 10/31/11 02:00 PM

Also curious about the digital dash mine has been going in and out lately. It's 2000 Crown Victoria lx are all of the digital dashes compatible with each other or it they change over the years?