Airbag compatibility

Posted by: P_Weston

Airbag compatibility - 10/28/11 09:15 PM

I'm in a time sensitive bind guys. I have available a perfect airbag with mint Mercury emblem that matches my car's interior out of a 2002 LS... however I can't find anything on airbags for model years... will it be compatible for my 2000 GS?

Update: So I was told no, but is there no way to retrofit one?
Posted by: HeavyMetalMerc

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/28/11 11:28 PM

seems online that 98-00, then 01-02
bags may have changed, you need larry as he can get all kinds of specs and charts

but bags are spendy this one in real good shape eh?
good luck.
Posted by: optik

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/29/11 12:35 AM

Speaking of airbags, would an 08/09 RCM work in an 05?

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/29/11 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: HeavyMetalMerc
seems online that 98-00, then 01-02
bags may have changed, you need larry as he can get all kinds of specs and charts

but bags are spendy this one in real good shape eh?
good luck.

Well, it's more or less the trim with the emblem in it that I'm after, and it is perfect condition.
Posted by: dRock96Marquis

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/29/11 06:46 PM

2001+ use dual stage airbags.

-'00 are single stage.

They are only *physically* interchangeable 98-04 (and 95-97 TC)

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/29/11 11:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am for the record, not going to be switching the airbags themselves.

Dallas (Drac) told me after looking at an airbag unit he has that I can unclip the plastic cover with the emblem on it and switch it with mine? I will have to pull the bag out at the yard and inspect the rear of it again.
Posted by: ALPHA

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/30/11 02:12 PM

i dono about driver side airbags, but you can switch covers on the passenger side. the dash trim part that you actually see can be swapped, i figured this out when we took Dallas 2000 and put an 04 dash in it, he still wanted his airbag to function. so i took apart the duel stage airbag and then put the single stage charge on the 04 dash trim piece. i dono if you can do that for driver but its a thought
Posted by: Drac

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/30/11 08:35 PM

OK Phil, i figured it all out for you. all you will need to use from the Dewgong is the actual airbag charge. everything else will be used from the 2002.

take the 2002 airbag and turn it upside down like so...

using a 10MM wrench or socket, remove the four bolts on the rear of the airbag

upon removing them, slide off the bracket on the back.

take off the main metal rear of the airbag. this holds the charge in place.

after doing this, you will notice the 2 stage charge of the 2002 airbag can now be readily removed.

2 stage charge removed.

airbag shell with cover still on is whats left.

now you are ready to follow the same steps disassembling your 2000's airbag, and put the charge from your 2000's airbag into the 2002 airbag shell, than bolt it all back together.

you now have a hybrid 2000-2002 airbag, complete with Mercury Logo! and instillation will be 100% plug and play. laugh

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/31/11 01:24 AM

Thanks Dallas for that picture write-up, I took my own set of shots for reference as well. The install went well, and I didn't explode any bags in my face laugh Since airbags are $40 bucks at Pick N Pull, I had to extract just the cover and they gave it to me for free since they didn't know what to charge it as lol. That meant I had to transfer everything from my old airbag to the new cover. Word of advice, DO NOT HOLD YOUR AIRBAG UPSIDE DOWN lol. I didn't though, but if it unraveled it would be bad.

If it wasn't for the EATC, I would consider my car even better than an LS now. Took some pics to show off the new sexiness, the emblem should be good for like...15hp right?

Posted by: Drac

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/31/11 03:09 AM

looks very good. i like the 2001+ emblem addition on the airbag alot!

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/31/11 05:48 AM

sweet so my idea worked.....whoot woot

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/31/11 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ALPHA_OKAMI
sweet so my idea worked.....whoot woot

Yup, exactly how you suggested. Felt weird to handle an explosive device too laugh

Re: Airbag compatibility - 10/31/11 01:36 PM

i love panthers

me and dallas are use to handling HiGh ExPlOsIvEs!!!
some body call bomb retrieve and removal squad