Headlight lens alignment for aeros?

Posted by: The_Punisher

Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 07:27 AM

Anyone know how to do this?

I see these things on the back of my headlights, one on the outer edge, and one somewhat at the middle. Like this:

Are those the adjustment screws or am I looking in the wrong place? I tried turning one, and it turned, but there was no difference in the elevation of the headlight angle. Am I missing something? arcade
Posted by: GSDNH

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 09:05 AM

Man, it's been a real long time.....
IIRC the protruding ends of the rods that are threaded have a teeny tiny hex on them. With the headlight installed and the clips also installed, the one on the end moves the headlight horizontally, and the one on the top middle moves the light vertically. Sometimes those black plastic round holders that the clips grab onto get stripped. Then there will be no adjustment. It is the black plastic part being held stationary by the clips and the threaded center of those plastic parts that makes the adjustment.
Sorry if this makes no sense.......

Basically yes they are adjustment screws but is is the position of the black plastic part on that threaded rod that makes the adjustment. Try threading the black plastic part in or out, and then installing the headlight. Then you can turn that tiny hex on the protruding end of the threaded rod to fine tune it into position.

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 09:22 AM

Hmm.

I hope I do not have to take them out again in order to adjust the black part.

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 11:18 AM

If you turn those rods, the headlight should move, as long as the black pieces have the clips installed and are not turning.
If the headlight does not move in this situation, it's possible that the plastic is stripped and no adjustment is possible.
You can replace those black pieces but IIRC they are pricey from Ford.

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 12:08 PM

drug

I went out about a couple hrs ago and figured it out. Apparently those clips have to have the flange inside the black thingie so it wont spin when you turn the ratchet... nono

Got it fixed. I am a happy camper now.
Posted by: Steveboos

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 12:29 PM

Yep there is a little added plastic piece that keeps the plastic steady, while the metal threaded part can be moved in or out. It took me like 3 hours to align my headlights to the perfect position. Without a 4 mm wrench, it gets annoying using needle nose and pliers to adjust the headlights.

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 12:30 PM

I had the right socket (5/32) and it adjusted just fine and in a few minutes.

Re: Headlight lens alignment for aeros? - 10/31/11 05:40 PM

^^^ Glad you got it figured out.
Sorry I probably wasn't explaining it correctly. Basically I was trying to say that the threaded rod spins inside the black plastic part, and the black plastic part needs to remain stationary(against the header panel) in order for the adjustment to happen.

I have a killer head cold so I'm kinda out of it lol sorry.