The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons

Posted by: dRock96Marquis

The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/07 03:34 AM

So, you own a late-model panther platform car and don't understand all this MZT, BOC, MM MAF, nonsense everyone has been suggesting you? tongue
Just looking for some ideas for quick and easy bolt ons that work on our cars?

"MZT" is an acronym board members have recently been using for Mercury Marauder (MM) airbox and mass-airflow sensor (MAF), 2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor/CVPI Zip tube, and a PCM Tune upgrade 'package'

For 1992.5-2004 panther owners, this package is one of the most popular and proven modifications for our cars - and our site sponsors can hook you up!
This modification is an excellent starting point to build upon with future mods. The airbox and MAF support more airflow, increasing power and actually draw COLD air from behind the headlamp whilst keeping a stock appearance under hood. The tune also increases power and enhances the car's performance by itself.

• The Marauder airbox and MAF can be obtained from www.ADTR.net (ADTR) or another site vendor. It includes a new airbox with filter that is a direct swap for your current 95-04 piece, and includes a new 80mm MM MAF. The harness requires no modification, however, on -02 models you do need to drill one small hole in your new upper airbox lid to re-use your existing IAT sensor. The MM MAF has an integral IAT sensor, however, to utilize this you would need to solder in a 03-04 MAF pigtail and wire your existing IAT wires to the two outer pins. It's much easier to just drill the hole tongue and allows you to more easily revert back to stock.
    • -'94 models require the newer style 6pin MAF harness spliced in.
    • www.BlueOvalChips.com (BOC - also a site vendor) sells plug and play adapter harnesses as well. And also carries plug and play MAF adapters to use the MM MAF's integrated IAT rather than drilling the hole or soldering in a new pigtail yourself UPDATED 6/21/16 - DON'T GO THRU BOC, YOU WON'T GET YOUR STUFF. Many CVNers are having good luck with MO's Speed Shop.

• Town Car owners will need to drill a hole in the bottom half of their CVPI or MM airbox with a hole saw to connect to the stock intake inlet.
  • The 2004 CVPI zip tube can be used on all '96-2004 panthers (excl. Marauder) when using an 80mm MAF, and is also available from www.ADTR.net This is the flexible tube between the airbox/MAF and the throttle body. This piece is optional, you can slip the stock tube over the 80mm MAF with a little work - but the 04 piece is affordable and makes it much easier. It also has a straighter airflow path.
  • The Tune is a customized powertrain computer/PCM reflash for your stock PCM. This is REQUIRED to use the Marauder's 80mm MAF (or any other MAF for that matter) www.BlueOvalChips.com (BOC) is one of our preferred vendors for performance reflashes and has ample experience tuning for this configuration on our cars. UPDATED 6/21/16 - AGAIN, DON'T GO THRU BOC, YOU WON'T GET YOUR STUFF. Many CVNers are having good luck with MO's Speed Shop.
    The tune will not only correct the MAF transfer function, but will also further enhance the car's performance and transmission settings as requested to the tuner. I highly recommend the XCalibrator 2 reflash device, as it allows you to further customize transmission and minor engine adjustments to your preference from the tuner's base program.

• '92.5-'94 cannot use a reflash tuner device, only a chip.
    • Early 92s and 91 Town Cars with AOD transmission cannot be tuned, which is why the cutoff point for these mods is 92.5

Here is the "MZT" installed (on my car):

As you can see, it keeps a nice clean stock look and is a direct fit.

*Note: the 2004+ CVPI (ONLY) already has a Marauder-style airbox and a larger integrated 80mm MAF housing w/ new style "cartridge" MAF from the factory. It is recommended to keep this setup, but still go for the tune.

2005+ retail models received a revised airbox based on the previous (standard) design but with an integrated *70*mm MAF housing for the new "cartridge" MAF.

-2004 models can use the 2004+ CVPI airbox/MAF instead of the Marauder airbox/MAF provided the correct connector is soldered in. Again, tuning still required.
Pinout charts;

*Note 2004+ CVPI 80mm MAF transfer function is different from the Marauder 80mm unit - the MAFs are not interchangeable using the same tune. The Marauder MAF also supports higher peak airflow.

2005+ non-CVPI panther owners can use the Marauder MAF and airbox provided you solder in the older style 6pin MAF harness. If this is not desired, a 2004+ CVPI airbox w/ MAF is a direct swap with the same connector as stock. [b]Tuning is still required.

2005+ non-CVPI owners can use any 2005+ CVPI zip tube to get rid of their stock intake resonators. All 2005+ use the same MAF outlet size, so the stock tubes will also work fine with the MM or 04+ CVPI 80mm MAFs. The CVPI tube is desired because of it's lack of intake resonators which results in a little more intake noise.

2005+ panthers must use a 2005+ tube, as the '05+'s electronic throttle control eliminated the IAC and it's supply tube.
https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/ziptube.htm
[/b]

Some other popular entry-level bolt-on modifications which do not require PCM tuning are;
  • Dual Exhaust. This is the first step for most. HPPs, CVPIs, Towing Package, Touring Sedan, LX Sports, LSEs and Marauders all had dual exhaust from the factory. As well as all '97 TC Cartiers and Ride Control package 'Sigs. All others used single exhaust. The factory style dual exhaust is worth about 10hp+ and is a direct swap provided you get the driver's side hangers. A custom exhaust system is another option. Stock uses 2" o/d pipe, 2.25" recommended if going with a custom system. 2.5" or larger is not recommended unless you have significant engine modifications
  • Underdrive pulleys (Steeda or March recommended) These slow down the front end accessory drive to free up some horsepower by reducing parasitic loss. These are a direct fit for all 93+ panthers. There are two water pump styles, so make sure to buy the correct kit for your vehicle. Some have found the voltage to run a little low at stoplights when using the included alternator pulley, so many do not use it and only the crank and water pump pulleys. This can also be corrected by bumping up the idle speed with a PCM tuner/flasher. "piggy-back" style underdrives are highly unrecommended for our cars - both the Steeda and March set include a new crank pulley/harmonic balancer.
    • '91 (TC) / '92 models require converting the FEAD to 6 rib vs stock 7 to use these kits.
  • www.ADTR.net ported plenum. This intake plenum is a stock piece which is ported by ADTR to increase performance, and is a direct fit with no modification required. ADTR has these available for all 96+ panthers.
  • Throttle body. This is a very popular, but much debated modification. The stock throttle body is 65mm, and is adequete for most. If you decide to upgrade, a 70mm throttle body is recommended for most setups, and the 75 only for forced induction or nitrous configurations. This is a good match for those upgrading to the ADTR p&p plenum, and are available for all 92+ panthers. Some side effects are bogging at low rpms, particularly with lower gear ratios or an oversized throttle body. This modification is not as effective as others listed.
    • Larger throttle bodies are not available for 2005+ panthers w/ electronic throttle control at this time
  • PI (Performance Improved) intake. This intake is used from the factory on all 01+ CV/GM/TC. When retrofitted to 1996-2000 models, you not only solve the potential coolant crossover rupture issue with the aluminum crossover (vs your stock composite)- but you gain some power! This intake will require some other parts to use, search around the forums some for discussion and how-tos.
    • Use only a genuine Ford / Ford Racing PI intake manifold for this conversion
    • ADTR can set you up with every thing you need for the swap.
  • Steeper rear-end gears and/or Traction-lok limited slip differential. You can change your axle ratio up to two steps without requiring a tune*
    Steeper gears will make the car feel lighter, and improve off the line acceleration. A Traction-lok (or similar) limited slip differential will improve traction by keeping both drive wheels powered, allowing you to put the power to the pavement - but without adverse driveability or NVH concerns found with some locking differentials.
    • The Ford Racing / Ford OEM Traction-lok is recommended for most panthers for it's smooth operation, affordable price and reliable and simplistic design. A 28 spline 8.8" differential is used for all -04 panthers (exc. TC Limos). 05+ panthers use a 31 spline 8.8" differential, however, it is highly recommended to pull the diff cover and verify before ordering. *Note* some panthers are equipped with a traction-lok from the factory, so check your axle tag and door sticker if you think you are already equipped.
    • There are many choices for rear gears, 3.27 or 3.55 is preferred among most for their enhanced performance and decent fuel mileage and cruising speeds. CVPIs/HPPs/LX Sports/LSEs/03+ Town Car and certain packages on -97 Town Car used 3.27s for most years and 00-01.5 HPPs/Sports/LSEs, 99-00 CVPIs and 03-04 Marauder (and 98-02 Town Car touring and -94 Town Car w/ towing) had 3.55 standard. Most opt to keep these ratios. All other panthers use a 2.73 or 3.08 (3.08 only for -02 Town Cars and -94 CV/GMQ) rear axle ratio from the factory.
      Should you decide to go steeper than 3.55, other modifications may be needed. Refer to this post and the other threads linked within: !<Click>!
      • -02 models require a new VSS gear to correct the speedo with a different gear ratio:
      • *All 2003+ panthers require a tune to correct the speedometer following a ring and pinion swap regardless of what ratio is used (other than stock)
      • Ring and pinion and differential swaps require professional installation
      • Please SEARCH for additional gear and carrier swap info!

Of course, the sky is the limit - from headswaps to forced induction, even complete powertrain swaps. But this gives you an idea of a few simple, effective bolt-ons that are popular amongst panther owners. I will update this list with additional information as I have time. Search throughout this forum for discussion on other performance modifications and more information on those listed above! cool
Posted by: BigJon

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/07 04:56 AM

now we just have to sticky this. nice write up!
Posted by: 98VicP71

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/07 09:30 AM

Great write up as usual....
Posted by: Crown Nick

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/07 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 98VicP71
Great write up as usual....

x2. Excellent write up dRock!
Posted by: Espey

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/07 04:25 PM

Great write-up!!!
Posted by: Bradley G

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/07 12:13 AM

Excellent work, Mr. advisor!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/07 12:14 AM

Excellent work, Mr. dRock!
Posted by: JCG1

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/07 09:51 AM

Nice job, Derek.
Posted by: 1fastone

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/07 10:12 PM

This should be required reading for all new members. GREAT write up Derek.
Posted by: Bobert2647

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/07 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: 1fastone
This should be required reading for all new members. GREAT write up Derek.

Maybe we can have the thread duplicated and the copy moved to the n00bie junction.
Posted by: RocketCouch

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/07 01:19 AM

Thanks for the plugs buddy! \:\)

Great info as always dRock!
Posted by: o0_C_0o

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/07 01:36 AM

i know this is off topic, but everytime i see a pic of dRocks engine it makes me wanna cry (happy tears). *its just so shiny* *tear*
Posted by: ludwigvan968

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/07 01:42 AM

awesome post!
Posted by: SnakedMark8

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/07 05:41 PM

Great info and thanks for the plug also. Now if only my non-PI intake didn't crack on me I would have had an actual dyno sheet for them to compare what these mods actually accomplish.
Posted by: ubervic

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/17/07 06:41 PM

Excellent post, Derek, for both experienced members and especially newbies. (I have noticed lately that many posters use the MZT term as if everyone knows what the heck it is, which has to be be very frustrating for newbies.) Thanks for making these bread-and-butter mods so understandable to so many.
Posted by: ubervic

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/17/07 06:46 PM

Oh, and I have found both BOC and ADTR to be EXCELLENT in terms of service and high-quality product offerings.
Posted by: 2004_p71

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/18/07 10:31 PM

Thank you very much for taking time to write down this great article.
Posted by: kayzap

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/21/07 02:19 AM

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify. I have an 04 LX Sport, So I have HPP(?) and the only part of MZT I lack is the tune. Do I have this right?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/21/07 02:26 AM

Glad you guys found it useful!
 Originally Posted By: kayzap
Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify. I have an 04 LX Sport, So I have HPP(?) and the only part of MZT I lack is the tune. Do I have this right?

No, your non-CVPI 04 does not have the 80mm MAF or revised airbox.

On an 04 'civvy' panther, you want the Marauder unit. The MAF is plug and play, you just need the tune.
Posted by: kayzap

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/21/07 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis
Glad you guys found it useful!
 Originally Posted By: kayzap
Thanks for the info.

No, your non-CVPI 04 does not have the 80mm MAF or revised airbox.

On an 04 'civvy' panther, you want the Marauder unit. The MAF is plug and play, you just need the tune.

O.K. I misled myself as both my cars use the same airfilter and the airboxes look the same.

whats the horsepower gain with the MZT?
Posted by: Gordonfan24

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/01/07 07:01 PM

Very nice! Answered my questions! Well, all but two:
1. Let's say I wanted to get the MZT stuff through ADTR. If I understand correctly, I'll just need the following:
--Mercury Marauder factory airbox assembly - $199.99
--2004 PI Zip Tube - $41.99
--and a tune.
So it should set me back around $250, not including the tune?

2. If I wanted to invest in one of those XCalibrator 2s, would I still need the tune, or could that be programmed?

Thanks in advance!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/01/07 07:18 PM

You will need the tune to run the Marauder 80mm MAF

The PI ziptube is not required, but it's easier to install over the larger MAF than the stock tube.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/01/07 07:43 PM

Alright.
Thanks, Bobert!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/01/07 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Gordonfan24

2. If I wanted to invest in one of those XCalibrator 2s, would I still need the tune, or could that be programmed?

Thanks in advance!

The xCal2 includes a pre-loaded custom tune from the vendor, have it programmed for your configuration (ie 80mm MM MAF)
Some vendors include 1 tune, some 2. I recommend http://www.blueovalchips.com for your xcal2.

The xcals you see on eBay have 'canned' tunes, and are not recommended.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/01/07 09:44 PM

Yeah, that's where I was looking to get it. The more sponsors I support, the better!
And that's what I thought. I figured a tune could be programmed into one of those. I just needed confirmation.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I'm looking forward to getting this done soon.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/02/07 12:09 AM

Just buy your MZT parts all from BOC to save on shipping.
Posted by: metroplex

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/12/07 02:05 PM

So is the MZT the latest Lincoln car? Did Lincoln just rebadge a Focus?
Posted by: JohnE

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/13/07 08:34 AM

Great write-up. Excellent looking engine bay!

Here's the same setup on mine:

John
Posted by: Ponyguy

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/13/07 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: metroplex
So is the MZT the latest Lincoln car? Did Lincoln just rebadge a Focus?

Posted by: Dan The Vic Man

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/13/07 02:25 PM

Lincoln MKS is coming out, now thats one sweet lincoln.
Posted by: slowgtnky

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/20/07 01:18 AM

some awesome info there. i am going to start the modding right after christmas. already have the stuff to change the exhaust. now i need the ported plenum...question though, is the PI intake a direct swap? no adapters and such
Posted by: Mr_Dyxi

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/03/08 09:37 AM

Thanks, this is really going to help me out.
Posted by: Cliff

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/22/08 09:00 PM

Here's an interesting subject, what if you have a 2004MY Civilian Vic and wanted the ziptube and MM airbox. Would a 2004 CVPI computer work well with the MM airbox for they both have the 80mm MAF. Just saying.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/22/08 09:28 PM

only the 04 CVPI got the 80MM MAF. the civi models still had the 70MM MAF.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/23/08 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Cliff
Here's an interesting subject, what if you have a 2004MY Civilian Vic and wanted the ziptube and MM airbox. Would a 2004 CVPI computer work well with the MM airbox for they both have the 80mm MAF. Just saying.

No. The 04+ CVPI MAF has a different air transfer function than the Marauder 80mm MAF.
Posted by: Telshy

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/01/08 10:15 PM

Excellent write up... but a couple of question? What are the average HP and torque gains i can expect to see from installing and MZT over stock motor? Is there a direct correlation with an MZT and increased in MPG?

Thanks

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/17/08 03:05 AM

What I read probably 15-20 hp at the wheels, torque I dunno. Mileage should be slightly better by 2-4 mpg since it's tuned.

Anyway, what's with the 2005+ resinated ziptube used in civilian models? Does it help with the engine flow?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/17/08 03:19 AM

The 05+ tube resonators is strictly to reduce engine intake tract noise.

05 retail models, at least the early ones, had a hydrocarbon filter in the tube as well.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/17/08 03:51 AM

So the 05+ civi ziptube doesn't improve the airflow much?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/17/08 05:59 PM

So the 05+ civi ziptube doesn't improve the airflow much?

No, it's virtually the same as the 04 tube, just minus one vac line opening.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/17/08 07:52 PM

Well, the 05+ retail tube is straighter than the '96-'04 tubes (exc 04 CVPI) and is designed to work with a 80mm MAF outlet (even though stwock maf is still 70mm) It looks like the a combo of the 04 and 06 CVPI tubes, but with the large resonators. If you want a straighter tube, just use the 04 CVPI tube as it has no resonators, is less expensive, and has the IAC port still to use on -04s

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/19/08 07:00 PM

Oh and one thing reguarding MM 80mm vs 04 PI's, Doesn't BOC carry MAF harnesses that could fit? If so I can get 04 PI airbox, ziptube and 04 P71 Computer...in case I get a 03-04MY.
Posted by: JaxRhapsody

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/08/08 07:23 PM

Seems like this car will be harder to mod than my fox. What is a zip tube by the way?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/08/08 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: JaxRhapsody
Seems like this car will be harder to mod than my fox. What is a zip tube by the way?

This:

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/09/08 11:04 PM

Oh and one thing reguarding MM 80mm vs 04 PI's, Doesn't BOC carry MAF harnesses that could fit? If so I can get 04 PI airbox, ziptube and 04 P71 Computer...in case I get a 03-04MY.

No, you can't use an 04 PCM in your 03 unless you also use an 04 transmission! The planetary ring was revised changing the OSS output.
Posted by: badkitty109

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/04/08 01:40 AM

Here's a question. How easy is this to do on a '03 CVPI, do the parts just bolt on or is there some modifying required? Also, if I am going to get it dyno tuned afterward, can I install the parts and then drive it to the shop (without tuning, since that's why I am going to the shop) or will that hurt my car?

I guess that's two questions.

TIA,
Dave
Posted by: The Beaten Path

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/28/08 08:32 PM

MZT isn't an acronym it's idiocy.
Posted by: Geezer

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/29/08 05:54 PM

Why is it "idiocy"?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/29/08 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beaten Path

And buying a K&N hot air intake is not? Don't sh!t on this thread b.c you don't agree with anything being discussed.

If the Marauder airbox was a bad idea, then Ford would not have used a very similar setup on all 04+ P71's
Posted by: The Beaten Path

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/29/08 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobert2647

And buying a K&N hot air intake is not? Don't sh!t on this thread b.c you don't agree with anything being discussed.

If the Marauder airbox was a bad idea, then Ford would not have used a very similar setup on all 04+ P71's

I was speaking about THE NAME.

Never did you see me say any of the tech here was bad.

Go fly a kite.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/29/08 11:07 PM

Trying being a little clearer. You made it sound like this mod was stupid. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Posted by: bjorkmae

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/29/08 11:08 PM

Its just an acronym, seriously who cares? I think thats why this particular thread explains it, because otherwise its confusing. Before I read this thread I didn't know what MZT meant, but I had heard about the mercury maraudar maf and air box and using the 2004 PI zip tube. People just shortened the meaning. If the reperesented every word then it would be MMABMAFMZT= mercury maraudar air box, mass air flow meter, and zip tube.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/30/08 02:53 PM

I got an acronym, MZT = a big smile on your face!
Or MZT = no traction
Posted by: drifter

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/28/08 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobert2647

I wouldnt believe that, Hell they used plastic coolant crossovers on these and even after they found out there was issues they still sent them out with them...
Posted by: dmitriy

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/08/08 11:52 AM

dRock96Marquis please prompt есче time I tried to put The filter k&k without any completions. And here that poluchalos - on ходную there was a detonation (or a lot of fuel or a lot of air). Put the regular filter all OK. I also have left this idea. But you You speak that business in a flowmeter of air and it do not consult, means it is necessary to put from marauder. But whether there is it on cpv 1992, whether will clash with ecu?
Posted by: Mitch

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/08/08 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: badkitty109
Here's a question. How easy is this to do on a '03 CVPI, do the parts just bolt on or is there some modifying required? Also, if I am going to get it dyno tuned afterward, can I install the parts and then drive it to the shop (without tuning, since that's why I am going to the shop) or will that hurt my car?

I guess that's two questions.

TIA,
Dave

I've got a NPI '00 so I can't say if any mechanical fitting tweaks will be required on your PI '03. If your '03 has a 70mm MAF, it may be difficult to drive to the dyno with the 80mm MAF installed due to the difference in stock vs. 80mm MAF curves in the EECV.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/11/08 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: dmitriy
dRock96Marquis please prompt есче time I tried to put The filter k&k without any completions. And here that poluchalos - on ходную there was a detonation (or a lot of fuel or a lot of air). Put the regular filter all OK. I also have left this idea. But you You speak that business in a flowmeter of air and it do not consult, means it is necessary to put from marauder. But whether there is it on cpv 1992, whether will clash with ecu?

If your car was made in late 1992, Yes, it will clash with ecu.
As the first post in this topic states, cars from 1992.5-1994 need a chip. It will reprogram everything to work with a larger air flow sensor.

It appears that it depends on when your car was built. Hope that helps (and I hope I understood your question)...
Posted by: 2003TownCar

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/30/09 09:17 AM

What's up all. I'm new here obviously, and I realize my car doesn't fit the mold really , but it's a panther platform so here I am! I've been reading your forums for a few days before I signed up and started asking questions, but here goes.

I plan on doing the mzt mod to my TownCar, and I was just curious if anyone has experience having local performance shops flash your computer instead of spending the $ on the excal2. I like the fact that this is an inexpensive way of increasing performance by using OEM parts, I just don't like the fact that the programmer doubles the cost.
Posted by: 786Tech

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/15/09 01:16 PM

I have Town Car too (1997). I am trying to find out

1) How much actual HP gain can I get before shelling out over $700

2) What are some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with this mod?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/15/09 01:20 PM

stock 97 Tc with just an MZT setup would most likely net you around a mid to high 15 sec quarter. 0-60 around 7-8 sec..
Posted by: meyow

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/14/09 06:17 PM

700.00$,is that a true price?
Posted by: wakecountyp71

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/19/09 08:46 AM

If you didnt have a marauder 80mm maf, what other maf if any could bolt up to the marauder air box? (Found a mm air box and K & N filter panel for a great deal!)

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/19/09 08:51 AM

Also, when you say - 02, does that mean for just that year or like 02 and down?
Posted by: Spartan

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/19/09 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: wakecountyp71
If you didnt have a marauder 80mm maf, what other maf if any could bolt up to the marauder air box?

Mustangs have a 80mm from 96 - 04(I think)with some differences in the connectors, but all would physically fit. (I use a 96 Mustang MAF) Lightning 80mm fits, but wouldn't use on NA engine personally. Mark VIIIs had a 80mm but I know that the earlier connections were different than the vics. All would fit the box. Don't know of others off the top of my head.
Posted by: 786Tech

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/30/09 09:34 PM

$700 was for all brand new parts. I did some searching and found everything(airbox, MAF, ZipTube, and XCal) used for less than half the price ($350... this includes the tune which was regular price). Tune should be coming in next week (Lonnie @ BOC).

If anyone knows of dyno pull events in the Houston area, please let me know. Cheapest I could find is $75 for 3 pulls.
Posted by: CudaJames69

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/31/09 10:29 PM

I know you are going for the OEM look, but is there any advantage to a K&N FIPK ? Do you get the same gains ?
Posted by: CudaJames69

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/31/09 10:33 PM

Is there a big visual difference in the CV & MM air box ? Some people aren't that honest with used parts .

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/31/09 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CudaJames69
Is there a big visual difference in the CV & MM air box ? Some people aren't that honest with used parts .

Yes there is.
Stock airbox:

Marauder airbox:
Posted by: nicklee94

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/01/09 02:55 AM

Is there a performance noticeable difference in the 04cvpi 80maf and the MM 80maf?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/01/09 03:30 AM

No.

Use the 2004+ CVPI 80mm MAF/airbox for a plug and play install in your 2005+ model (still need a tune, however)
Posted by: nicklee94

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/01/09 03:36 AM

great!! Thanks.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/08/09 01:48 PM

If your "MZT" didnt come with screws for the mm air box and mm maf, can you use the screws that hold the cvpi air box and cvpi maf on or do you need the exact screws that the mm mairbox and mm maf use? Thanks.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/08/09 10:01 PM

You mean the screws that bolt the MAF to the airbox lid?

I think they are the same, but I can compare to make sure.

If yours is apart already you may also be missing the thin gasket between the MAF and the airbox lid.

If you mean the mounting studs that are bolted to the fender liner, they are the same.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/09/09 03:19 AM

You mean the screws that bolt the MAF to the airbox lid?

I think they are the same, but I can compare to make sure.

If yours is apart already you may also be missing the thin gasket between the MAF and the airbox lid.

If you mean the mounting studs that are bolted to the fender liner, they are the same.

Yeah do that please an I am referring to the bolts that hold the maf to the air box. A thin gasket??? Never even knew they had one..damn I bet I dont have it, I would have remembered. When my mm maf comes, I'll see if it is included. Worst case scenario, could I use those create a gasket rolls that aap or auto zone sells to fab up the thin gasket between the maf and air box? The

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/11/09 01:09 AM

Anyone know where to get the thin gasket for the mercury marauder air box and maf?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/12/09 01:55 PM

bump?
Posted by: imyy4u

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/23/09 02:03 AM

i have no idea what a plenum is, what it does or how getting a ported one benefits you. please explain?
Posted by: FakTorThis

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/23/09 02:25 AM

A plenum is what bolts on to the intake manifold then the throttle body bolts on to the plenum so getting it ported would mean better air flow which means MOAR POWAR
Posted by: imyy4u

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/28/09 12:52 AM

thank you.
Posted by: SCHALLZ

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/02/09 02:24 PM

ok i am one of the newbies and im looking for some increased performance that is low cost the biggest thing i want to do is add trac lock rear end with either a 3.27 or a 3.55 rear gear looking for some assistance in what i should do on what i wouls need i have an 02 mgm ls with a 2.73 one wheel wonder with traction control and also with the murader air box swap will it still fit due to i added a throtle body space and is that a better idea then doing a k&n intake system
Posted by: Belteshazzar

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/06/09 12:29 PM

just get a complete rear axle out of a P71 in a yard.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/06/09 05:56 PM

will the air ride bold on to that axel?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/08/09 12:46 PM

i ment bolt onto that axel without custom fab?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/08/09 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: SCHALLZ
ok i am one of the newbies and im looking for some increased performance that is low cost the biggest thing i want to do is add trac lock rear end with either a 3.27 or a 3.55 rear gear looking for some assistance in what i should do on what i wouls need i have an 02 mgm ls with a 2.73 one wheel wonder with traction control and also with the murader air box swap will it still fit due to i added a throtle body space and is that a better idea then doing a k&n intake system

just an FYI I will be swapping my gears out and will have a set of 3:27's for sale here in the next week or two.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/09/09 01:22 AM

will the trac lock fit into my housing due to im a one wheel wonder and u should message me or post how much of an improvement ur new set of gears was and then what do i have to do re calibrate the speedo

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/10/09 06:54 AM

help to make
cv 1992 2facp72wxnx176717
need to install the Mercury Marauder 80mm MAF.
what to do next?
Posted by: bspurloc

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/26/09 05:10 PM

does it really matter if you have a Marauder airbox or a CAI on the other side of the 80mm maf?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/05/09 01:48 PM

all bad.
dluovalchip said that I had a Canadian eec and they do not have in my database. in order to chiping.
need usa eec.
but I already live in Ukraine.
I think that we have such machines 5 each and all.
I think you understand me
+ Gogle translator.
Thank God - I optimist

Posted by: mmk

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/14/09 01:54 PM

you are genius...
Posted by: Panther_P74

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/30/09 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bspurloc
does it really matter if you have a Marauder airbox or a CAI on the other side of the 80mm maf?

Yes it does matter, CAI will get you aprox. 3% lean.

Reason I said this is when I had my tune done by BOC it was
tuned for MM airbox, and I'm running with 7.5" K&N Cone air filter ...so after doing datalog
it shows 3% lean what is considered to be on the safe side.
Posted by: NAFLASh

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/06/09 02:31 PM

Just scored a marauder airbox and 80mm maf for 75$ on ebay. Now I need to find a zip tube.
Posted by: Black_Out

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/10/09 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: NAFLASh
Just scored a marauder airbox and 80mm maf for 75$ on ebay. Now I need to find a zip tube.

good buy \:\) keep an eye on the for sale section here they come and go pretty often. I just sold my complete setup for 120$.

IMO the MZT is the most cost effective hp gain you can get out of pre-04 panthers. That is why Ford introduced it in 04. It's not rocket surgery. Better airflow + more precise airflow calibration = power & efficiency. Not to mention if you get a tune your car should be running better than it ever has. It's win - win..... win win win.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/10/09 07:48 PM

well they sent me the wrong airbox. turns out they mislabeled the ad. I got a 03-04 non-pi crown vic airbox.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/09 01:47 PM

get your money back

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/12/09 02:38 PM

and thats why its called flea bay sorry to hear but ya get that money back or make them send you the right part

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/09 03:30 AM

They were actually really cool. They sent me a new packing slip to ship it back and they returned my money. So anyway, does someone have a maruader airbox and zip tube layin around?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/13/09 12:07 PM

i think bluemobile had one in the for sale section 200 bucks idk if it is still there
Posted by: 1999PI

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/09 12:35 AM

sooooooo let me get this right..add the mm airbox,tube from throttle body and the 80mill maf sensor..then have to go out and spend another whatever to get a tune and this should add how much horse power vs stock..

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/09 03:54 AM

10ish hp
Posted by: CrownVic97

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/09 12:59 PM

wrong...along with proper tune expect 25-30 hp
Posted by: Interim

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/14/09 01:09 PM

What cv97 said... It's a really awesome mod for the price. I have my airbox MAF and tube, just need a tuner lol. \:\)

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/16/09 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: crownvic97

Ill believe it when I see it. PI motor or Non-PI?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/16/09 11:37 PM

the 30 range would be pi the 20 range npi
Posted by: TechnoWeenie

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/21/09 01:14 PM

?

10-15 HP
Posted by: prodigalson

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/21/09 04:45 PM

Can somebody please dyno this already? Before and after?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/21/09 05:24 PM

Butt Dyno says doo EEET!
You can thank us later

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/23/09 12:03 AM

More like 10-15 as everyone else stated above ;\)

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/23/09 12:14 AM

More like 10-15 as everyone else stated above ;\)
I meant 15-20 at best...That was a long day

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/03/09 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: prodigalson

its been done... i'll try and dig up the link
Posted by: oneno

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/05/10 01:17 PM

So after I purchase the box and the maf and zip tube, I know I have to get a (reflash)tune. What do I ask the shop when I take my car in? is their a tune code or term they should be familiar with? do I need to purchase a new chip as well? yeah I know newbie.....

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/05/10 02:57 PM

If the shop has a dyno then they can tune it...If not I recommend Lonnie, he is the best when it comes to these cars. Either way you do it you need a hand held tuner or a chip(Lonnie sells these as well).

Lonnie
Posted by: Section8

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/05/10 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: oneno
So after I purchase the box and the maf and zip tube,.....

Be sure to check the "for sale" items right here on CVN...
Posted by: Myx

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/07/10 09:10 PM

I have been looking for info to support or show this since joining the site. If you find a link, please let me know.
Posted by: Squad_297

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/17/10 09:41 AM

If anyone knows a shop in the Metro Detroit area with a dyno, I just scored a junkyard 04 CVPI Airbox, MAF (with connector and about 6" of it's wiring) and Zip Tube for $27.

I can dyno the stock setup here, then when I get the cash for a tune, dyno the result. It might be a while before I can get the tune, that is unless I get some donations to the cause LOL
Posted by: MikesMerc

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/17/10 10:00 AM

Call Lidio at Alternative Auto. He's the premier guy in tuning Ford vehicles in the area. He's been tuning Mustangs since 1990 and handles just about all the guys in our Motor City Marauders club. He's knows the panthers well, and has tuned many of the GMs and CVs in the group. He has a nice shop and dyno. I'll be seeing him to add my dual exhaust, 3.55 limit slip, and fresh tune to my CV in the spring. His dyno prices this time of the year are very reasonable.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/18/10 01:53 PM

I found a SCT XCAL2 XCalibrator 2 9400 flash device for a Mustang on e-bay. Since it's been pre programmed for a mustang, all I need to do is contact Lonnie and based upon my criteria he sends me a program on a chip or does he need to have the unit sent to him? Also what if this unit has been locked by vin on its first use, what can I do then?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/18/10 02:39 PM

I found a SCT XCAL2 XCalibrator 2 9400 flash device for a Mustang on e-bay. Since it's been pre programmed for a mustang, all I need to do is contact Lonnie and based upon my criteria he sends me a program on a chip or does he need to have the unit sent to him? Also what if this unit has been locked by vin on its first use, what can I do then?

If the Xcal is VIN locked then you will have to send it to SCT to have them unlock it for a fee.

If it is not VIN locked then yes you can just tell lonnie the catch code from the ECU in your car and he can email you the tune and you use the live load software to upload the tune to the device.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/21/10 08:21 PM

http://sleeperrides.com/?page_id=3

Some dyno's

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/22/10 10:02 AM

If the Xcal is VIN locked then you will have to send it to SCT to have them unlock it for a fee.

If it is not VIN locked then yes you can just tell lonnie the catch code from the ECU in your car and he can email you the tune and you use the live load software to upload the tune to the device.

Bought an unlocked Xcal2 off ebay (yes, it checked out ok) so I'm all set.
Posted by: Section8

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/22/10 10:56 AM

I was going to bid on that one too!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/22/10 02:06 PM

Sorry about that.... I did almost loose it cause of snipers if that helps. \:\)
Posted by: USAFVIC

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/28/10 02:06 PM

So, does an 08 MGM already have an 80mm MAF? I dont think anyone has noted it in this FAQ.
Posted by: 99_03PantherS

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/28/10 02:25 PM

nope.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/28/10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 99_03PantherS
nope.

You sure about that? I thought all Panthers from 05+ got 80mm MAF and -04 P71's only got the 80mm MAF.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/28/10 03:00 PM

The Civilian panthers (minus marauder) all have 70mm mafs. He does need the 80mm maf and airbox.
Posted by: USAFVIC

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/28/10 03:20 PM

I looked at mine and compared some of the pics to the ones in this FAQ, and mine looks like a 70mm because of the greater taper on the outside of the airbox for the 80mm factory ziptube that comes on the 05+ cars.

Hmmm....

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/28/10 03:25 PM

you have a 70mm
Posted by: darkp71

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/04/10 03:52 AM

anyone care to explain if mustang underdrives will work? and if not explain why not. thanks
Posted by: BlackIce

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/04/10 08:32 PM

Posted by: silverfox

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/04/10 08:47 PM

Yes they will work, it's one of the more redundant topics. Just be sure you have the right water pump pulley for your year model. Those specs can be found fairly easily.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/04/10 09:24 PM

I just read on FleaBag that SCT Charges $150.00 to Unlock a tuner. I also read that the previous owner unlocked his by setting his Ford pick up back to original.

Does anybody have the truth! Buying used is only going to benefit me if I can get it unlocked for free.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/04/10 10:48 PM

The reason a tuner becomes VIN Locked is because it is storing the cars stock programing. When the stock tune is downloaded back to the vehicle, the tuner is unlocked. If you buy a used tuner with the old vehicles stock program still in it, SCT will charge $150 plus the cost to ship it back and forth to unlock it. If you want to make absolutly sure the one your buying is unlocked, have the seller take a picture of the device status.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/05/10 01:46 AM

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbth...415#Post1550415 ;\)

Originally Posted By: USAFVIC
So, does an 08 MGM already have an 80mm MAF? I dont think anyone has noted it in this FAQ.

Nope, from the write-up;

Quote:
*Note: the 2004+ CVPI (ONLY) already has a Marauder-style airbox and a larger integrated 80mm MAF housing w/ new style "cartridge" MAF from the factory. It is recommended to keep this setup, but still go for the tune.

2005+ retail models received a revised airbox based on the previous (standard) design but with an integrated *70*mm MAF housing for the new "cartridge" MAF.

nope.

You sure about that? I thought all Panthers from 05+ got 80mm MAF and -04 P71's only got the 80mm MAF.

You thought wrong
Also, 2004 was the FIRST year for the 80mm in the CVPI application. All years prior were 70.

The Civilian panthers (minus marauder) all have 70mm mafs. He does need the 80mm maf and airbox.
Completely correct!
 Originally Posted By: USAFVIC
I looked at mine and compared some of the pics to the ones in this FAQ, and mine looks like a 70mm because of the greater taper on the outside of the airbox for the 80mm factory ziptube that comes on the 05+ cars.

Hmmm....

Yes, all retail models (exc. MM) use a 70mm MAF - but the MAF outlet was made the same as the 80mm with all '05+ airboxes.
Some more pics/info here;

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/05/10 11:10 AM

Glad to have you on this site Derek to clear up everything.
Great success!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/05/10 11:12 AM

Big day today. Swapped out my air intake for the marauder box and zip tube, now taking it in for the tune Illinois Dyno Center Should be done tomorrow. Picked up the complete set up from George for $165.00.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/05/10 09:46 PM

Here's the baseline dyno, grant you it was running very lean as I had already added the Marauder box MAf and zip tube
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/hensoneno/Trooper#5434955791472675234[/img] Base Dyno

And after the tune
[img]"http://picasaweb.google.com/hensoneno/Trooper#5434955797444098402"[/img]
Final DYNO Final Dyno
Posted by: freewayfuntime

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/06/10 04:54 AM

i think thats the same dyno sheet in both links...

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/06/10 08:38 AM

Base line run

Final run

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/10 08:56 AM

This Friday will be the second time I've taken my car back to refine the tune as the check engine light pops up after 50 miles or so. First time it was running lean on both banks and after considerable time refining it was suppose t be okay. The tuner suggests that I return my MAF back to stock as the marauader maf and zip tube is making it too unstable difficult to tune. Any body else experience this type of problem?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/10 08:59 AM

No...

could be your tuner..

Or maybe you have a faulty MAF...
Posted by: BMo

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/10 12:36 PM

Wow, that is a HUGE difference. Nice!!!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/10 12:47 PM

something doesn't look right with those graphs.. your HP and TQ are not crossing like they usually do on every other dyno graph I have seen..

Also on that last graph it looks like you are still running lean..

Isn't a good A/F around 12 and your are at 14.3..

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/10 01:02 PM

I agree, the graphs don't look right and there is no way you gained that much!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/10 01:09 PM

As I stated earlier, when they did the baseline run it was with the Marauder MAF and Ziptube that I had just installed and limped 20 miles or so to the tuner. It was a very long trip as I had to pretty much give it 90% throttle to keep it up to 60 mph, so this wasn't a baseline based off of basic stock config. I don't think I would need for him to take off the marauder intake to get a good tune though? these guys are very highly regarded as "top notch" and have a wall of certificates and were even featured in "Pinks". I think they are credible so I just don't understand the problem.
Illinois Dyno Center
Posted by: sean5

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/02/10 02:29 PM

I have an '03 P71 crown vic and used Summit Racing's 3 piece underdrive pulley system for the Mustang with know problems.
Posted by: Crown_me_Victor

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/10/10 11:56 PM

It looks like the MZT is the best and first mod I should do to my car because when I get to the Tune part, I will have the tuner device for any and every other modification afterward.

What I'm confused about is which programmer/hand held tuner I should purchase. dRock said XCal2 but I don't see that on BOC. I found it on this website though:

http://www.sctxcalibrator.com/

How much would the custom programming for the MZT cost? So far I am looking at nearly $700.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/11/10 05:36 AM

If you already have the hand held tuner, Lonnie charges $100 for the custom MZT tune, and it's worth every penny.

By using junkyard parts, and buying my Xcal2 on ebay, my entire MZT cost me less than $400. Just make sure your car is ready to handle it. The MZT helped point out a few components that need replacing, like my O2 sensors and my Trans.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/11/10 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Squad_297
If you already have the hand held tuner, Lonnie charges $100 for the custom MZT tune, and it's worth every penny.

By using junkyard parts, and buying my Xcal2 on ebay, my entire MZT cost me less than $400.

I heard that, I've picked up everything except the 04 Zip tube and the Tune for under $100.

Quote:
Just make sure your car is ready to handle it. The MZT helped point out a few components that need replacing, like my O2 sensors and my Trans.

Not looking forward to that!
Posted by: Big_Bad_Joe

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/11/10 10:22 PM

As I stated earlier, when they did the baseline run it was with the Marauder MAF and Ziptube that I had just installed and limped 20 miles or so to the tuner. It was a very long trip as I had to pretty much give it 90% throttle to keep it up to 60 mph, so this wasn't a baseline based off of basic stock config. I don't think I would need for him to take off the marauder intake to get a good tune though? these guys are very highly regarded as "top notch" and have a wall of certificates and were even featured in "Pinks". I think they are credible so I just don't understand the problem.
Illinois Dyno Center

you could havea faulty MAF.. a good tuner would discover that

they might have tuned a mustang.... but the MAF transfer function has to be adjusted in the tune... so its not just a simple adjust timing and fuel... it requires more programming

Wall certificates and TV shows don't cut it.. results do
Posted by: CrownVicJeff

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/16/10 11:10 AM

I have a question reguarding this mod and the 92 CV. Its says that it needs to be 92.5 or newer for the MZT mod to work. How would i know exactly if mine was a early model or .5 model? The MFG. date in the car says 4/92. To me i would concider that a mid year model but im not sure. Only reason i say that is because the 64.5 mustang came out in April making it the .5 model. I have used the search function with no luck, looked through everything here i could and searched the intraweb with no luck.
Posted by: 1320ft

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/23/10 09:22 PM

i was wondering what the police interceptor has for a maf and throttle body? i an in the process of replacing parts and also was wondering if th pi has the pulleys or do i have to buy them. i have a lot of questions just wanted to get the most bang for my buck.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/25/10 09:07 AM

anybody ???????????

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/25/10 09:10 AM

Pullies???

If you want UD pullies you will have to by them..

a 98 P71 will have a 70mm MAF same as every panther up to the 2004+ P71 and 2003-2004 Marauder which got 80mm MAF..

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/28/10 04:52 PM

thanks 98vicp71
Posted by: Crown_me_Victor

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/07/10 11:40 PM

Will the MZT require a higher grade of gasoline?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/08/10 12:31 PM

when you install the tune, you have the choice of grades. i went for 93.
Posted by: infantry_p71

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/16/10 04:08 PM

just wondering would a 99-02 mustang cobra maf work
Posted by: 73vwTodd

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/22/10 04:18 PM

when you install the tune, you have the choice of grades. i went for 93.

I'm just curious... any idea what kind of horsepower difference these tunes have?

I got an XCalibrator tune from BOC with my 2002 Crown Vic LX with the m/z/t, but I opted for the 89 octane tune (or 87?) the lower of the three, simply because I didn't want to push the motor to the point where I felt it might create damage if it came to the point of knocking.

What kind of HP differences are we talking typically between 87 and 93?

Is it only 1-2 hp? Or is it pretty major.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/23/10 01:07 AM

I don't have an exact number. Those who have a 87 and a 93 tune have said that there is a noticeable difference.
Posted by: Floorit

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 04:17 AM

I know this subject has been beaten to death...but would going from an open element filter w/heatshield to an MM airbox yield any gains at all? I would think the difference would be negligible, although for the MM airbox to work you need a 80mm MAF right? Then a tune to run the MAF? Ok ok...I guess what I really want to know is, will a 80mm MAF with a tune make more power than the oem 70mm MAF with a tune? I already have the rest of the intake side done except for the MAF.
Posted by: Floorit

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 04:18 AM

double post

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Floorit
I know this subject has been beaten to death...but would going from an open element filter w/heatshield to an MM airbox yield any gains at all? I would think the difference would be negligible, although for the MM airbox to work you need a 80mm MAF right? Then a tune to run the MAF? Ok ok...I guess what I really want to know is, will a 80mm MAF with a tune make more power than the oem 70mm MAF with a tune? I already have the rest of the intake side done except for the MAF.
The tune is where almost all performance increase comes from. The 80mm maf adds some as well (can only be used with tune)
Posted by: bigjeezy04

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 01:48 PM

my bro just got a 2004 airbox and he didnt need a tune cause the 80 for the 04 was tune for 19lb injectors... so the only way u need a tune if u get the marauder 80 maf cause they got bigger fuel injectors. other than that his car runs fine no boggin,no hestitions,no nothin!!! so try and get a 04 and up cvpi airbox with the 80 intergrading in.. than u dont need a tune just a new connector
Posted by: Flippy328

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 03:29 PM

Unless your car came stock with a 80mm maf i.e marauder or 04+ cvpi you will need a tune to be able to use it or else your car wont run right because the computer is setup for a 70mm maf.
Posted by: Quickvic30

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: infantry_p71
just wondering would a 99-02 mustang cobra maf work

Yes but will require a tune.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/10 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippy328
Unless your car came stock with a 80mm maf i.e marauder or 04+ cvpi you will need a tune to be able to use it or else your car wont run right because the computer is setup for a 70mm maf.

the 96 didnt have a 80 but it has 19lb injectors like the newer vics so u dont need a tune for a 04 80maf and his car runs fines with it cause its calibrated with the injectors... now if i put a 80 maf off a marauder i will need a tune for my 04 or any crown vic, cause the marauders have bigger fuel injectors and its calibrated for that

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/30/10 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Redmobile
 Originally Posted By: bigjeezy04

the 96 didnt have a 80 but it has 19lb injectors like the newer vics so u dont need a tune for a 04 80maf and his car runs fines with it cause its calibrated with the injectors... now if i put a 80 maf off a marauder i will need a tune for my 04 or any crown vic, cause the marauders have bigger fuel injectors and its calibrated for that

Totally incorrect! All 2v Panthers have 19lb injectors except 01' which got 24lb. If you put ANY 80mm MAF on there, it will need a tune because the MAF transfer function will be different.

oh my bad i forgot about the 01s.. and why does everyone say u need a tune for everything? when u come up here for POTP ur going to see that a 96 cvpi runs fine with the 04 airbox and everything esle he has dont to it! cause if it didnt run right he would have put the stock one back on1?!?!?! and its his dd

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/30/10 03:57 PM

Totally incorrect! All 2v Panthers have 19lb injectors except 01' which got 24lb. If you put ANY 80mm MAF on there, it will need a tune because the MAF transfer function will be different.

oh my bad i forgot about the 01s.. and why does everyone say u need a tune for everything? when u come up here for POTP ur going to see that a 96 cvpi runs fine with the 04 airbox and everything esle he has dont to it! cause if it didnt run right he would have put the stock one back on1?!?!?! and its his dd

Do some data logging and see how "fine" it's running.

maybe ur right but intil than its runs fine but he is getting dyno tune on it one of these days

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/30/10 05:12 PM

Do some data logging and see how "fine" it's running.

maybe ur right but intil than its runs fine but he is getting dyno tune on it one of these days

Try unplugging the battery for about half hour then see how good it runs after.

the battery was unpluged when he did it

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/13/10 12:49 PM

So why did the 01 get 24lb injectors? Better performance?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/13/10 07:46 PM

So why did the 01 get 24lb injectors? Better performance?

i have HEARD, that ford ran out of the 19lb injectors so they threw the 24lb injectors in.. THATS WHAT I HEARD!!!

another thing i HEARD, was that they thought the performance upgrade to the heads and intake and cams where to much for the 19lb injectors. thats what I HEARD!!!

not sure tho correct me if im wrong, which i think i am wrong
Posted by: prodigalson

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/13/10 08:15 PM

Well I heard, here in another thread, I think from Lonnie, that the 01 still had 19lbs, with the 24lb color connector. Not sure. Maybe he could chime in...

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/25/10 12:17 AM

Well I heard, here in another thread, I think from Lonnie, that the 01 still had 19lbs, with the 24lb color connector. Not sure. Maybe he could chime in...

Indeed, over the past year Lonnie has repeatedly stated on the forums that the '01s were also infact 19#hr and merely a different color than 'usual'. This is from referencing stock vehicle tables, so simply put - that should be that.

Besides the color difference - the belief of a different size injector was only further reinforced by the fact that for YEARS Ford listed a unique part number for the fuel injectors of 2001 model year ONLY.
Naturally, knowing the injector size/type and the connector itself is the same as all 1999-2002 models, and that Ford specified a unique injector for this model year only - lead to the simple conclusion of a different size injector as this could be the only variable that would not make them interchangeable (and infact the same part).

However, sometime within the past few months Ford's application guides were revised. The injector specified for 2001 is now also specified for 2002, which should finally put this issue to bed.

Curiously, 2000 is now listed as not interchangeable with 1999, or 2002 (or 01), but is the same as 2003-2004. And 1999 is spec'ed to use the same injector back to 1996.
This is wrong, as the connectors were changed 98<>99, but whatever Clearly, the Ford and Motorcraft application guides have their share of mistakes!
Posted by: LTC_Dave

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/25/10 01:50 AM

Here is a cheap way to upgrade to a 70mm throttle body.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2112724&fpart=1
Posted by: Spaceman_Spiff

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/27/10 01:20 PM

sorry, but to get back to the original thread topic...

-2004 models can use the 2004+ CVPI airbox/MAF instead of the Marauder airbox/MAF provided the correct connector is soldered in. Again, tuning still required.

am I reading it correctly that I can use a 2004+ CVPI airbox and MAF on my 2002 LX for the MZT rather than the MM airbox, with the only difference being the peak airflow rates of the MM vs CVPI MAF? (and the different harness for the MAF)

The way that quote is worded, I am not sure if that only applies to the -2004 CVPI's or ALL -2004 CV's...

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/27/10 11:35 PM

It applies to all -2004 Crown Vics. The only real difference between the MM box and the 04 CVPI box, other than the connector, is the 2004 CVPI MAF is a part of the air box lid, where the MM MAF is separate. Also just a mention.... When I used the 2004 CVPI box in my 2001, I had some small fitment issues. The connector for the MAF was almost up against the brake lines coming out of the ABS controller making it fun to get the air cleaner lid on. Also couldn't fully secure the rear lid latch because a hump in the inner fender was in the way. It coulda just been my car, it could be all pre 2003 models. I don't know for sure.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/06/10 08:24 PM

Quote:
Also couldn't fully secure the rear lid latch because a hump in the inner fender was in the way. It coulda just been my car, it could be all pre 2003 models. I don't know for sure

This applies to many using the MM box as well - myself included. Using washers on the rear mounts to raise the back of the airbox slightly can help, otherwise, just 'force' it - the inner fender is pretty flexible plastic, you should be able to get the latch to engaged relatively easily.

Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff

The way that quote is worded, I am not sure if that only applies to the -2004 CVPI's or ALL -2004 CV's...

As Squad said, ALL 2004 and earlier - excluding only the 2004 MY CVPI of course, as it already has it ;\)

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/08/10 07:43 AM

can anyone give me a part number for the 04+ p71 80mm MAF? the ebay sellers seem to think that their MAF will replace the 04 p71 MAF as well as all of the 05+ crown vics, but according to this thread, that just isnt true...

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/08/10 11:17 PM

You are mis-reading the information in this thread

The MAF sensor itself IS the same between 04- CVPI and 05+ retail. In fact, virtually any (if not all) Ford application that use this new style MAF uses the same exact sensor.

The housing (which is integral to the upper airbox lid on newer models) is different (larger) for the CVPI with 80mm i/d versus 70mm for retail models (with tapered outlet to 80mm). This change in housing size effectively results in a different air transfer or voltage per given airflow, thus requiring a different 'tune' despite using the same sensor.

You need to order a complete 2004- cvpi airbox assembly w/ MAF to do this conversion (or get it used/salvage), plus the pigtail to wire it into a -04retail/-03cvpi
If you have an 04- CVPI airbox sans-MAF, you need to order the replacement MAF sensor (AFLS131)

Note, besides the tuning the MM MAF is plug and play for 95-04 (exc 04 PI) which makes it a more attractive/easier option.
You just need to drill the hole in the airbox lid for the IAT on 95-02 cars.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/09/10 01:08 PM

ah, got it. so the size is only referring to the diameter of the tube the MAF plugs into, so the same MAF will bolt into the different sized tubes. that makes sense, thanks for clearing it all up!
Posted by: RiceBurnt6

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/09/10 02:19 PM

Posted by: sniperhare

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/13/10 02:52 PM

I just picked up the M&Z part of the MZT, and since I don't know how to solder wires I guess I need to drill a hole somewhere. Everything else just plugs in right?

I'm just not sure where to drill the hole and that part of the install. The guide I've seen linked here only talked about soldering the wires.
Posted by: odddoylerules

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/13/10 05:55 PM

I don't have an exact number. Those who have a 87 and a 93 tune have said that there is a noticeable difference.

hp isnt really that different with a gas graded tune, usually its economy and response that are improved, as well as torque. The cam will dictate general horsepower potential, a tune just makes the most of whats there for maximum efficiency

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/15/10 02:59 PM

for you people deciding if you want the MZT, i was running stock a 16.2-16.6 in the 1/4...now im running a 15.3...you decide.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/15/10 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: sniperhare
I just picked up the M&Z part of the MZT, and since I don't know how to solder wires I guess I need to drill a hole somewhere. Everything else just plugs in right?

I'm just not sure where to drill the hole and that part of the install. The guide I've seen linked here only talked about soldering the wires.

I have the same thing. The MZ sitting in a box in garage until I can afford the tune.

I'm going to trace the cut out on my old air box and then dremmel it out on the new box. I had to do the same thing with my taillights. It should be pretty easy and if I have to I'll seal it.
Posted by: sniperhare

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/16/10 12:48 PM

Got the MZT installed today, Reinhart Automotive did a great job. I'm so glad to have the shop nearby, it saved me money not having to buy a handheld flash device.

We rode around a few times making sure the shift points were just right, it's not a granny riding car now.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/16/10 01:58 PM

Take some vids! I gotta post up new vids myself lol
Posted by: levantar05

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/01/10 12:47 PM

Thank You for the information Derek,
If i have read correctly this means that my 2001 CVPI does not have the (MM) airbox and 80mm MAF sensor.. in that case i need to delete the PI airbox signature tag from my description :*(

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/01/10 12:56 PM

The stock MAF could literally slide inside the 80mm Maf. Also if you look in my pics posted above, the 80MM Maf has an extra sensor on the side which the stock 70mm does not.
Posted by: levantar05

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/01/10 02:52 PM

in the pic of the 70MM MAF what is behind it?? looks like a metal tube.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/01/10 09:12 PM

PVC pipe from my custom CAI, the is a thread about it. i'll pm it to you
Posted by: Big_Bad_Joe

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/28/10 02:39 PM

for you people deciding if you want the MZT, i was running stock a 16.2-16.6 in the 1/4...now im running a 15.3...you decide.

umm that was not a result of simply putting in a different sensor...

first of all you deleted the rear cats... thats a biggie on these cars... serious HP but not applicable in most states (legally).. then there is the tune, also a biggie and then there is the lesser items....

just the tune and rear cat delete made your car much quicker than stock..... while the MAF helps with all the other goodies it was not the biggest item in there...
Posted by: CharlieStrummond

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/28/10 03:59 PM

Hey, regarding rear cat deletes...I think someone is going to steal mine, and I noticed that a straight piece of pipe doesn't look like it will go right in their place, what does everyone recommend for this?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/28/10 10:45 PM

hmmm..ill have a look at mine... cause somebody stole mine awhile back too..
Posted by: CharlieStrummond

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/29/10 01:23 PM

I thought of a pair of those universal flex couplers at the auto parts store, but they're $25 each.
Posted by: SVTJOE123

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/14/11 06:09 PM

You can find cat replacement pipes at autozone just in case someone steals them.
Posted by: FORDSON

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/01/11 11:29 PM

I just have a quick question..from reading i really dont see the answer. I have a 2000 CVPI and I have a 2004 CVPI Airbox, 80mm MAF, and ziptube to but in. I have purchased my tune from BOC but what kind of pigtail do i need to get. Everything i see on BOC or ADTR is a MM pigtail which is different from what i am reading then the 04 CVPI pigtail or a 4 pin to 6 pin pigtail for older cars. So what kind of pigtail am i gonna need to get to make this work. Thanks
Posted by: cragantler1

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/02/11 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: FORDSON
I just have a quick question..from reading i really dont see the answer. I have a 2000 CVPI and I have a 2004 CVPI Airbox, 80mm MAF, and ziptube to but in. I have purchased my tune from BOC but what kind of pigtail do i need to get. Everything i see on BOC or ADTR is a MM pigtail which is different from what i am reading then the 04 CVPI pigtail or a 4 pin to 6 pin pigtail for older cars. So what kind of pigtail am i gonna need to get to make this work. Thanks

I went with this company
http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm
OBD-I to OBD II Adapter - Use That OBD-II Mass-Air Unit!!

- Have a newer rectangular 4 or 6-pin OBD-II style Mass-Air unit that you want to use on an older vehicle with the 4-pin oval OBD-I style connector?? No problem, just use our plug-in adapter!! This harness solves compatibly problems so you can use the newer-style, improved-design Mass-Air units on your OBD-I vehicle. The OBD-II connector has 4 wires, order optional 6-wire kit if you are using the internal ACT sensor on the Mass-Air unit. Note: 6-wire kit contains 2 wires to make a 4-wire connector a 6-wire connector.

I didn't really feel like cutting up my harness so I am going this route. I verified with them before hand and checked that the wiring is correct.
I 'm not installing mine until late spring but am all ready to go.
Posted by: lor3nzo

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/07/11 04:58 PM

what kind of numbers are we looking at as far as gains in HP/TQ? I'm new to this panther thing and if worth it i wouldn't mind doing this.
Posted by: losack

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/21/11 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Bad_Joe

first of all you deleted the rear cats... thats a biggie on these cars... serious HP but not applicable in most states (legally).. then there is the tune, also a biggie and then there is the lesser items....

just the tune and rear cat delete made your car much quicker than stock..... while the MAF helps with all the other goodies it was not the biggest item in there...
what would you say an sct x3 preloaded tune will add to my 00' cvpi
Posted by: losack

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/21/11 09:15 PM

hmmm..ill have a look at mine... cause somebody stole mine awhile back too..
somebody cut mine out,did you see what they used to cut yours out cause they made mine all jagged and uneven
Posted by: MidnightStalker

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/22/11 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Bad_Joe

...then there is the tune, also a biggie and then there is the lesser items....

Part of the MZT is the tune; (M)AF sensons (Z)ip tube (T)une. The car wont run right just swapping sensors, you need the tune to correct the computer for it.
Posted by: Captain_Slow

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/08/11 12:47 AM

I'd highly recommend a ported plenum (to anyone that's read this far through). The difference in pickup/acceleration is quite noticeable, and it's an extremely cheap mod, moreso if you do it yourself

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/08/11 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: djs2000mgm
I'd highly recommend a ported plenum (to anyone that's read this far through). The difference in pickup/acceleration is quite noticeable, and it's an extremely cheap mod, moreso if you do it yourself

x2 it is really cheap and does gives some volume to the intake
Posted by: Kirk

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/22/11 01:47 PM

http://www.p71interceptor.com - the account has been suspended? Say it ain't so!
Posted by: flyingblind

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/23/11 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Kirk
http://www.p71interceptor.com - the account has been suspended? Say it ain't so!
Here is a mirror site
http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/p71interceptor.html
and the thread about it
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbth...nt=4&page=1
Posted by: Florida_Mike

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/03/11 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: sniperhare
Got the MZT installed today, Reinhart Automotive did a great job. I'm so glad to have the shop nearby, it saved me money not having to buy a handheld flash device.

We rode around a few times making sure the shift points were just right, it's not a granny riding car now.

Sent you a PM on this.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/03/11 01:29 PM

Never mind. Was ordering the parts but had to cancel
Posted by: jeff20636

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/30/11 05:58 PM

Installing new plugs and coils this weekend, 132k on it and figure it's time. Received a call about the new tuner and program from BOC....on it's way!!! Thanks Lonnie. Can't wait to install the tune,'04 P71 air box and zip tube.

Make my ride alive! woot
Posted by: blazer

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/06/12 12:50 PM

Jeff20636? How did your tune turn out? I'm ordering next week.
Posted by: Barryr

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/08/12 10:43 AM

When I went to my Ford dealer, just for giggles I asked about a MAF for my car verses a CVPI. They both use the same part number.

Are the MAF's the same? When I put my CVPI airbox in should I swap Mafs? or use the one in the CVPI box?

My car is an 06 anf box came out of a 09 CVPI. The part numbers on the Mafs themselves is the same, but is the calibration in them different?
Posted by: NOT5oh

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/08/12 03:16 PM

Just read this for the first time, very informative, thanks.
Posted by: jeff20636

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/13/12 09:30 PM

Turned out real well, very satisfied on the outcome. Night and day difference with the upgrades
Posted by: blazer

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/03/12 12:42 PM

Did MZT and BOC tune last weekend. VERY Pleased!
Posted by: MidnightStalker

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/06/12 11:06 PM

Start a new thread, virtually nothing in this one relates to anything you are asking.
Posted by: theunknown

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/29/12 12:00 PM

I found a 2004 cvpi at the local junkyard that had the maf, ziptube and housing. would this upgrade be beneficial for a 99 cvpi non pi? I plan on getting a pi engien eventually but wonder if I could do this upgrade with the 70 mm throttle body? any advice? I know I will need a tune to run it, right?
Posted by: MyP71Vic

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/29/12 12:54 PM

Yes a tune is needed and as long as it was the 80mm MAF from a P71 then yes that is the correct one. Next stop is to find a xCal used and unlocked or call Lonnie at BOC. Enjoy!
-Nick
Posted by: theunknown

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 06/30/12 08:25 AM

Just picked it up from the junkyard on sale. Harness, housing, maf and ziptube= 7 dollars!!!!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/03/12 09:21 AM

Nice buy!
Posted by: Mrvic2004

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/17/12 01:27 PM

Are there any more bolt on's to do to add more hp?
Posted by: Mest30

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/26/12 12:34 PM

It won't add hp, but a high stall converter will make the car much faster. You do anything else the exhaust other than headers? If not, you could delete the rear cats and add high flow cats the the front. Won't give you huge hp gains, but with the mods you have, hard to think of other things you can do. Maybe there is a high flow water pump available, too.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/26/12 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Mest30
It won't add hp, but a high stall converter will make the car much faster. You do anything else the exhaust other than headers? If not, you could delete the rear cats and add high flow cats the the front. Won't give you huge hp gains, but with the mods you have, hard to think of other things you can do. Maybe there is a high flow water pump available, too.

I already have a stall in mind, problem is though it will be for when I have everything built. Stall range for 3800. So I might have to go to that high flow water pump.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/27/12 09:38 AM

Just stay away from electric pumps. High fail rate. When your build is done, you should get a dyno tune instead of a mail tune. Should be good for an extra few horses.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/28/12 10:41 AM

Just stay away from electric pumps. High fail rate. When your build is done, you should get a dyno tune instead of a mail tune. Should be good for an extra few horses.

I spoke with Lonnie yesterday, so I should be in the works for a 3600-3800 stall. Then I'm a get a hold of Darrin for the J-Mod. I've noticed ADTR has two water pumps, but I see in your sig you have the EMP pump, so I take it that is the one to go with?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/28/12 05:55 PM

I git my valve body kit from Darrin. He made it perfect. The car shifts nice and firm, especially at WOT. I definitely recommend it. I also recommend the EMP pump over the electric one (meizzere or something like that). The electric one supposedly adds a few more horses than the EMP but its more expensive and I've heard many many people complain that it does not last long at all.

The high stall converter is going to make a huge difference for you. You've gotta nice build going. Ever go to the track?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/28/12 05:58 PM

Also, not sure how it works in vics, but one of the best bolt ons for a marauder is cams from a 96-98 mustang. They will be my next mod, but installation is kind of expensive. Again, not sure what cams, if any, can be used on a vic but if interested, make a thread and ask.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/12 02:15 AM

I git my valve body kit from Darrin. He made it perfect. The car shifts nice and firm, especially at WOT. I definitely recommend it. I also recommend the EMP pump over the electric one (meizzere or something like that). The electric one supposedly adds a few more horses than the EMP but its more expensive and I've heard many many people complain that it does not last long at all.

The high stall converter is going to make a huge difference for you. You've gotta nice build going. Ever go to the track?

Not a problem and I appreciate the pointers. To be honest I never brought my car to the track, always wanted to. Unfortunately now though I have to drive about 2 hours just to get to the nearest track. It blows that they closed the track around here.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/12 02:17 AM

Also, not sure how it works in vics, but one of the best bolt ons for a marauder is cams from a 96-98 mustang. They will be my next mod, but installation is kind of expensive. Again, not sure what cams, if any, can be used on a vic but if interested, make a thread and ask.

Actually I do have a set of cams, but that is for my project build. Their actually the stage 3 heads and stage 3 nitrous only cams from MHS. I only chose these cams for that more rough idle. I know, stupid. I'll probably end up throwing these on first to see how my torque curve is and if it's decent keep em, if not change em for stage 4 N/A cam.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/29/12 05:39 PM

What's your project build looking like?

Yeah, I don't have a track that's close than an hour and a half away. It wasn't too bad, though. Haven't been in forever, though. I don't think I've ran since before my high stall was put on like four years ago. Kids kinda ended my ability to mod. I definitely have more stuff I want to do, just got to save some money.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/30/12 12:22 PM

Well right now I'm putting together a 4.75 stroker high compression build. So I'm trying to nickel and dime together all the smaller bolt on parts for now, because I'm in the same boat (kids holding up funds).

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/30/12 04:46 PM

Not much in this thread on exhaust. Will the dual set up from any 4.6 CV or GM work, or do I need to look for a specific year and later to fit my '04? If I find an MM in a junk yard, will the H-pipe and exhaust work? Or am I better off going to 2.2"?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/30/12 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Florida_Mike
Not much in this thread on exhaust. Will the dual set up from any 4.6 CV or GM work, or do I need to look for a specific year and later to fit my '04? If I find an MM in a junk yard, will the H-pipe and exhaust work? Or am I better off going to 2.2"?

I don't see why not they shouldn't work. Especially if they are in that same year range.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/31/12 10:45 AM

Needs to be from the same model year range or it likely won't fit

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/31/12 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Florida_Mike

This was supposed to say 2.25", not 2.2".
Posted by: REAL4WD

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/31/12 05:32 PM

the locations of exhaust hangers changed in 05 IIRC so some won't be direct fit. a little modification for the hangers would be needed

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/24/12 06:26 PM

Has anybody had any good results from a plenum spacer? Waist of money?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/24/12 06:43 PM

No performance gains. Usually used with aftermarket Mustang plenums since they sit about 1/2" lower.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/24/12 11:29 PM

Figures, they get all the fun & goodies!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/24/12 11:34 PM

They get to spend more money because their plenum is lower profile.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/25/12 10:29 AM

The 1/2 spacer brought my 78mm KBB to the perfect height for everything else to bolt right on. So actually we have to spend more to use Mustang parts.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/25/12 11:51 AM

Any benefit from the spacer?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/25/12 12:52 PM

Not really just easier installation by everything lining up like stock. The BBK TB/Plenum is a one piece unit that sits low so if you don't use the spacer it is a little more work.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/26/12 10:13 AM

Sad thing is I only had my Accufab on for maybe a year now and I'm a have to get rid of it for the 6061 plenum.
Posted by: PoliceInterceptr

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/05/13 05:03 PM

Any one know what power could be expected in a non-PI engine with MZT (with BOC tune) and Pi heads, cams, and intake swap? PI swap alone should yield about 30-40 up right? So would ~265-270 hp be the expected result? Just curious.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/05/13 05:37 PM

I'd say you could maybe see 230-250 to the wheels. It's really impossible to guess but that is the neighborhood I would expect
Posted by: PoliceInterceptr

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/05/13 06:41 PM

Alright, that's pretty good. Thank you.
Posted by: sleekCrownVic

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/14/13 12:09 AM

anybody has experiance with performance intakes on 05+ vics? i seen some with upper plenum (elbows) like the Accufab, and the BBK 75mm TB, but am looking for a performance intake manifold that would use the existing fuel rails and would fit with minor modifications, car already has a supercharger and Headers on.

am planning to get an upper intake from 6061 guy, and a 75mm BBK DBW TB.
Posted by: bigROC209

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/10/13 04:44 PM

Can I use a 04 Ziptube, 80mm MAF, and a cone filter?

The Marauder airbox is pricey. Trying to save a couple bucks.
Posted by: Allaa_Hassan

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/12/13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bigROC209

get 2004+ CVPI air box, MAF and tube out of any junk yard dirt cheep. And don't forget the wiring harness
Posted by: ben243333

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/19/13 08:01 PM

If you keep factory headers and cat downpipe is 2.5 ok?
Posted by: saigaexpress

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Allaa_Hassan

get 2004+ CVPI air box, MAF and tube out of any junk yard dirt cheep. And don't forget the wiring harness
i raced my friends car that is a stock 02 against my stock 07 and were dead even... ziptube and maf doesnt do anything.
Posted by: thedanned

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 10:54 AM

Without a tune? Of course. They dont give more power on their own - they allow for more accurate metering of air and will support more power.

Same gears? Same height tires?
Posted by: 2011P7E

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 12:21 PM

I know this probably isn't relevant, but my friends 2001 CVPI would KILL my 2007 CVPI when we went to the track. He was doing mid to low 15's and I was doing mid to high 16's. My 07 was 100% stock, and he had a K&N Typhoon setup, and a larger ported plenum that was it. Both our cars have the 3.27 rear gears ( his is a locker and mine was open ) and he would kill me at every race. His car even feels much faster.
Posted by: saigaexpress

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: thedanned
Without a tune? Of course. They dont give more power on their own - they allow for more accurate metering of air and will support more power.

Same gears? Same height tires?
his car has 16" steelies stock tire size mine has mustang wheels stock 235/55/17
Posted by: Little_CV

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 07:02 PM

I raced my buddy and beat him with his 04 that has 70,000 miles against my 2000 with close to 300,000 miles, his front bumper was at my tail lights when we were out of road around 75 mph, got him off the line easily probely because I have the 3:55 locker and he has the 3:27.Both cars are stock

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: saigaexpress
Originally Posted By: Allaa_Hassan

i raced my friends car that is a stock 02 against my stock 07 and were dead even... ziptube and maf doesnt do anything.

BS tech, seriously dude.

You do realize that you're comparing two untuned cars, with a nominal 15-16 hp difference....and a 200-300lb weight difference. The whole point of the switch is also the tune. The new airbox and ziptube/maf DOES, however, make a considerable difference in how restrictive your intake is.
Posted by: REAL4WD

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/16/13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Little_CV
I raced my buddy and beat him with his 04 that has 70,000 miles against my 2000 with close to 300,000 miles, his front bumper was at my tail lights when we were out of road around 75 mph, got him off the line easily probely because I have the 3:55 locker and he has the 3:27.Both cars are stock

I find that hard to believe. I raced my 04 LX Sport against Drac's 04 CVPI (legally, El Mirage Off Highway Vehicle Park) I took off before he did and he caught up fairly quick. His car having the upgraded intake box, 80mm MAF, zip tube from the factory.

I've also had a 2000 CVPI and on long straightaways I got left in the dust by an 03 CVPI but in shorter straightaways and curves I could keep up with it. even with the difference between PI and NPI engines.
Posted by: freewayfuntime

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/17/13 04:56 PM

Seems to me, that cvn needs a "driver mod" section.
Every pi vic that I raced in my npi 00', I had them off the line but they would eventually beat me
Posted by: KayTar

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/17/13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: freewayfuntime
Seems to me, that cvn needs a "driver mod" section.
Every pi vic that I raced in my npi 00', I had them off the line but they would eventually beat me

That makes sense because the npi engines made better
low end power but fell on their face after mid rpm

Posted by: Little_CV

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/17/13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: REAL4WD

I find that hard to believe. I raced my 04 LX Sport against Drac's 04 CVPI (legally, El Mirage Off Highway Vehicle Park) I took off before he did and he caught up fairly quick. His car having the upgraded intake box, 80mm MAF, zip tube from the factory.

I've also had a 2000 CVPI and on long straightaways I got left in the dust by an 03 CVPI but in shorter straightaways and curves I could keep up with it. even with the difference between PI and NPI engines.

I Guess what it boils down to is what options your car has performance wise, every car is different and so is every driver, I drag race often and so does my buddy who is a member on here also and im sure he will agree being that we had many cvpi's that an 04 80mm box doesent really do much performance wise yea im sure better air flow will help but it probely isn't going to mean taking any qt. mile time off the car, it's mostly in the gearing when it comes to that.if you really want to wake up the engine a bit then u could consider a tune if your racing somone with curves in the road then that relies on the driver and handling of the car, i wish every car wouldn't need a tune nowadays to get the best performance out of it but that's how it is, I hate computers> just my $.02
Posted by: BlackNFast

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/07/13 11:47 AM

I purchased a 99 lightning 80mm maf/airbox yesterday the flow characteristics are somewhat the same as the MM maf,correct??..im gnna install this in the next few mnths with a 91 tune..could not pass up on the deal of $40,im not sure about the harness as of yet.
Posted by: Coldsnap

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/29/13 10:14 AM

I Guess what it boils down to is what options your car has performance wise, every car is different and so is every driver, I drag race often and so does my buddy who is a member on here also and im sure he will agree being that we had many cvpi's that an 04 80mm box doesent really do much performance wise yea im sure better air flow will help but it probely isn't going to mean taking any qt. mile time off the car, it's mostly in the gearing when it comes to that.if you really want to wake up the engine a bit then u could consider a tune if your racing somone with curves in the road then that relies on the driver and handling of the car, i wish every car wouldn't need a tune nowadays to get the best performance out of it but that's how it is, I hate computers> just my $.02

I've been thinking about this. I just recently bought a Crown Vic and asked my friend, who's opinion I trust on this matter, about doing the MZT mod and bigger dual exhausts (I got the LX package with dual exhausts already). His opinion was that these are really small modifications that really don't add any performance on their own and that they are mostly for weekend warriors who want to do a little wrenching. He suggested if I really wanted to do some modifications wait until I have to do some real engine work then do some big stuff like boring over the block and different cams etc
Posted by: Ivory

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/29/13 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Coldsnap

I've been thinking about this. I just recently bought a Crown Vic and asked my friend, who's opinion I trust on this matter, about doing the MZT mod and bigger dual exhausts (I got the LX package with dual exhausts already). His opinion was that these are really small modifications that really don't add any performance on their own and that they are mostly for weekend warriors who want to do a little wrenching. He suggested if I really wanted to do some modifications wait until I have to do some real engine work then do some big stuff like boring over the block and different cams etc

Your buddy is pretty much right, bigger catback exhaust and MZT isn't much. The best way to go is get headers and 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back with any choice of a power adder. Even building up the motor won't get crazy hp numbers. To really go fast you need to install some form of forced induction such as nos, supercharger, or turbo.
Posted by: wayfastwhitey

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/29/13 01:20 PM

^^ yes well a step at a time is atleast a step in the right direction. I would rather do things in stages or small steps. harder to see (notice rather) a big gain here and there, but taking care of the supporting mods before a big project is half the battle.

intake, exhaust and a jmod is a weekends worth of work and depending how you handle the intake and exhaust (new or used parts) has the potential to be a low price investment thats well worth the wrench time.

my 97 (that I dont have anymore) got a hacked air box with a drop in k&n and a jmod very shortly thereafter and was a completely different animal (factory dual exhaust car, left it at that bacause I didnt have the funds to tackle the entire system).

I would have loved to been able to follow through with the gear change and drop in the 32v I had in my garage (with an exhaust upgrade no doubt) but unfortunate circumstances prevailed.

the next one will probably see only supporting mods like differential, suspension, steering, brake and fuel system upgrades along with cat back exhaust in anticipation of a bigger goal in mind before any real drivetrain mods begin(heads, cam(s), transmission etc.), and this isnt necessarily a bad way to go about it.

Posted by: Coldsnap

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/29/13 02:14 PM

Yea, agreed. It sure is fun doing some wrenching and modifications! I'll probably keep my LX Sport stock because I'm enjoying how it drives just around town. But when that engine goes or I need some engine work, I'm going to do some bigger engine modificatoins. Just need to research what can be done with the 4.6 L that will give it a kick in the ass, or damn if I can fit a Mustang SVT engine in it... I have a solid decade to research it though!

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/05/13 11:12 AM

if you have a 01+ motor and want to wake the car up a bit, a MZT is a way to go. i had a stock 03 mgm, and i did the mods in my signature...it woke the car up. drivability is way better. i wasnt looking to have the fastest mgm, just wake it up a bit.
Posted by: Davepsycho

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/09/13 01:47 PM

You have saved this nOOb a bunch of time as you have answered many questions. Greatly appreciated. bow
Posted by: HIPOFOMOCO

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/29/13 04:21 AM

Thanks for all the info. It has given me many answers.
Posted by: bigrees

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/20/14 05:08 PM

I have a 2000 CVPI that Im putting a motor in but Im trying to get more hp out of it what do i Need to do

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/20/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bigrees
I have a 2000 CVPI that Im putting a motor in but Im trying to get more hp out of it what do i Need to do

Depends on your goals and budget. Tell us more.
Posted by: bigrees

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/20/14 08:54 PM

Im tryin to get PI 4.6 to wake up Im doin the intake swap i just need to know what kind of pulleys i needbto get
Posted by: DC_Dave

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/21/14 08:42 PM

I've got the steeda pullies and I can't tell a difference.

Not worth the hassle OR the risk to the crank of pulling the pully off and getting the the install right. IMO
Posted by: Paul2281

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/28/14 08:09 PM

Thanks for posting this great info....
Posted by: [email protected]

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/29/14 07:48 PM

I installed the Steedas and noticed a huge difference. I would chirp the tires once and awhile before. Now i chirp solid every wot.
Posted by: Joebug

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/18/14 03:48 PM

SO I just did a little research and I found a MM air box at a junk yard for $100 with the maf another $75, $20 shipping the zip tube was going to cost $50 shipped.. then to use it all I would have to buy a handheld tuner and tune from BOC for another $425
so the MZT upgrade will cost me about $700??..is this right or am I looking for the wrong parts? is the tuner really that much?
What are my other options?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/28/14 11:41 AM

You can find a used SCT tuner anywhere from $100-200.
Posted by: CROWNVICROB

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/31/14 04:59 PM

Great job
Posted by: Paul2281

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 12/31/14 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Joebug
SO I just did a little research and I found a MM air box at a junk yard for $100 with the maf another $75, $20 shipping the zip tube was going to cost $50 shipped.. then to use it all I would have to buy a handheld tuner and tune from BOC for another $425
so the MZT upgrade will cost me about $700??..is this right or am I looking for the wrong parts? is the tuner really that much?
What are my other options?

I found a used SCT X4 FORD tuner for $200 that had Crown Vic tunes in it for 87,91 and 93 oct..But my car is a 2001 Grand Marquis LSE so I had Dennis Rienhart (Rienhart automotive) send me the proper custom tune for $75. man what a difference..
IMO the hand held tuner is the best option..Alot of adjustable options on it too..
Posted by: RAYCECIL

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/13/15 12:49 PM

I have a 2004 Marquis Ultimate Edition. I don't understand why you would need to upgrade to the MM 80mm MAF sensor if your throttle body is smaller than 80mm. I think my throttle body is what 65mm or 70mm? Isn't that the choke point. If you take that cross sectional area and subtract out the area for the throttle blade and shaft its effectively NOT going to flow all the air that the 80mm MAF could. So what is the point? What am I missing?

Okay, I am fixin to go find a dual exhaust and install that. While I am at the JY, can I find one of those intake tubes and make it fit my stock MAF sensor and throttle body? Direct fit?

I know I already have the PI intake.

Does anybody know if the OBX full exhaust system is going to give you anything better than the stock dual exhaust? Or is it just louder?

Also, where do I source a posi-trac unit? Are those in interceptors? What about the Exploders? I mean Explorers..lol..do they have the same axles?

Thanks for any advice fellas.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/13/15 01:53 PM

The bigger maf will allow a more agressive tuning (calibration needed) that will give you some power...the physical size in this case has nothing to do with the rest.

Long tube headers do help alot across the torque power band, it is a very nice upgrade but costly.
track lok are available in a lot of model but you have to make sure it is a 28 spline unit that is found in the 2005.5- years in the police intercepor.Be prepared to change the clutch and rebuilt a few thing while you are at it..that is the right time to swap for 3.27 gears.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/20/15 09:18 PM

I picked up an 04 ziptube and airbox today. Is there a connector or jumper wire I can use to connect my 2002's plug into the 2004 PI maf sensor? I'd like to be able to use my CAI if I want to change things up.

I have the 04 maf plug with six colored wires that match the 4 wires on my 02's maf and the two wires on the IAT.

I'm tuned for an 80mm MAF sensor that plugged right in to my stock connector. My question is, will my tune work for the 04 blade style maf sensor?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/20/15 09:33 PM

Is this the right one?

http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=30

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/20/15 10:43 PM

Mustang maf sensor I'm using and tuned for is part # F6UF-12B579-AA.

04 Police Interceptor maf sensor I'd like to use is part# 3L3A-12B579-BA

I'd like to know if my tune will work for the blade style maf? I know I'm going to have to splice into the stock maf and iat plugs to connect it. I just want to be sure my current tune will work with the 04 air box, maf, and ziptube?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/21/15 09:46 AM

Hey guys, I'm already tuned for an 80mm maf sensor. It's off a GT Mustang. It was a direct fit to my maf sensor plug.

I just picked up a 2004 airbox w/blade style maf sensor.

I'm trying to find out if I'm going to be good to go with my current tune?

Current maf from mustang: F6UF-12B579-AA

2004 PI maf sensor: 3L3A-12B579-BA

help me out guys.
Posted by: ComputerGeek737

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/21/15 12:33 PM

If you make a new topic instead of adding your posts to a stickied informational one you might get more views and help.
Posted by: 124neta

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/21/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By ComputerGeek737
If you make a new topic instead of adding your posts to a stickied informational one you might get more views and help.

I disagree, I think its beneficial to have information in a central location. I'm actually more likely to respond given the poster attempted some research on their own.

When a poster gains a reputation for asking questions first, researching later. Or worse, making multiple threads asking similar, same, or related questions... It gets old, and people tend to ignore.

I dont have anything to add other than try using maf and see what happens. Ive been made to understand that subtle variations among MAF sensors may not pose obvious compatibility issues, but may still be less than optimal. Example: 98-99 v. 00-02 maf debate.

That said, They are not even of same "style" I would venture to guess its not gonna work at all. After all, tuners dont just ask what size the maf is, They need to know precisely which maf you are using.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/21/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By ComputerGeek737

Well, sometimes people get mad when you start a new thread on a topic that has been discussed.

I'd get a bunch of replies telling me to use the search bar.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/21/15 08:55 PM

If I'm already tuned for an 80mm maf sensor off a Mustang, would I be able to use a 2004 PI maf sensor with the same tune?

Anybody?

Anybody?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/21/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By bigROC209
If I'm already tuned for an 80mm maf sensor off a Mustang, would I be able to use a 2004 PI maf sensor with the same tune?

Anybody?

Anybody?
no, it's a different maf, needs a different tune.
Posted by: Allaa_Hassan

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/23/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By bigROC209

Anybody?

Anybody?

If it is 80mm MAF out of 05+ GT, then it is the same MAF of 04 PI with the same part number

But if MAF housing is different then you need a different tune

please read Lonnie's replay

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1386950#Post1386950
Posted by: Greasydugan

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/15/15 11:20 PM

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Its helped me out a ton
Posted by: Mertis

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/27/15 02:48 AM

hi. I am long time viewer of this site, its great, i love my MGM. I have scoured the site and have found out that I want a fast MGM. I get my cvpi duals hooked up on monday, i have a cheap cold air intake and thats it so far...

I would like to swap my rear differential. I have found out on cvn that i can pull a 99-00 cvpi and get an 3.55 open for an even swap. I would get the drive shaft also. My concern is that i am a diyer and cant find a walk through or really any guidance on the swap.

So, my question, is it easy? lol I mean that i have limited tools, work in my driveway, no floor jack etc. I am fairly mechanically inclined. If i put new differential in are there other things i need to do? I know of the speedo gear. Ive seen mention of a pcm reflash. How does a guy flash the pcm?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/27/15 10:37 AM

while it,s not impossible not having much tool or and no floor jack will make this whole job significantly harder.
Get yourself some stands and a jack at least .
Posted by: oOGHOSTOo

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/03/15 11:01 AM

a little confused here. so my 2006 cvpi does or doesnt have the optimal airbox/ziptube?
thanks guys

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/03/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By oOGHOSTOo
a little confused here. so my 2006 cvpi does or doesnt have the optimal airbox/ziptube?
thanks guys

you got the best you can ever have on a crown vic
Posted by: oOGHOSTOo

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/04/15 08:13 PM

Ty good to know
Posted by: PI46interceptor

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/05/16 09:18 AM

has anyone else had zero luck getting a reply from blue oval chips? I just want a programmer for my 2010 cvpi. all stock except for better mufflers and no rear cats(gone when I got it)any other bolt on power suggestions? alternate tuner suggestions? the plan is to port the heads/possible cam swap when I replace the timing chain and tensioners. A
Posted by: Chaplian

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/05/16 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By PI46interceptor
has anyone else had zero luck getting a reply from blue oval chips? I just want a programmer for my 2010 cvpi. all stock except for better mufflers and no rear cats(gone when I got it)any other bolt on power suggestions? alternate tuner suggestions? the plan is to port the heads/possible cam swap when I replace the timing chain and tensioners. A

Check out Mo's Speed Shop. People here love them.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/05/16 01:19 PM

Blue Oval Chips is no longer operating as far as we know.
Posted by: JPM

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/05/16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By Chaplian

I went to this website. All it brings up is a forum. I did not see a store with items to buy listed.
Posted by: Chaplian

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/05/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By JPM
Originally Posted By Chaplian

I went to this website. All it brings up is a forum. I did not see a store with items to buy listed.

Register and make a post in this forum:

http://www.mosspeedshop.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?22-Hey-MO!
Posted by: mdnos

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/05/16 04:30 PM

Or just email Marty: [email protected]

Mos does not have a website to sell items , strictly services . Except for tunes and SW exhaust dealer. They don't sell retail parts like summit etc.
Posted by: PALEO

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/13/16 12:39 AM

I am doing this with my 2000. You mentioned a intake. Mine is stock aftermarket. Just learning. Do I need a different intake manifold for the tune to be worth while. You also mentioned retrofitted for the 2000. Not sure what that means? Thanx

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/16/16 08:54 AM

Looking for zip tube. They all say 04-10? I see all different looking ones. Are they the same?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/27/16 12:29 PM

Super cool. I bookmarked it! Question--Does each tune require 93 octane? Are there different levels of tunes?....like mild, medium, or hot or whatever? I am mainly wondering about the 93 octane thing. 93 octane?
Posted by: PHoganDive

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 07/27/16 02:44 PM

There are various levels, the biggest change between different octane tunes is ignition timing, the higher octane tune will have more ignition timing advance...that normally gives more power, but will ping/detonate with lower octane fuel.
Posted by: Makmoneynslp

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/31/16 09:44 PM

I'm going to purchase the air box from adtr can't wait...I getting a 2001 MGM so it already has the pi so I'm good there..and might go to the junkyard and pull an dual exhaust down to the manifolds off an p71...wish me luck guys...o yeH this is my first post

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 08/31/16 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By Makmoneynslp
I'm going to purchase the air box from adtr can't wait...I getting a 2001 MGM so it already has the pi so I'm good there..and might go to the junkyard and pull an dual exhaust down to the manifolds off an p71...wish me luck guys...o yeH this is my first post

You might want to check the junkyard for a P71 air box. You'll save about $200. You will also need the harness to connect to the MAF sensor. The plug on your Marquis won't connect to the maf sensor on the P71 box.

If you get the Marauder air box it will plug right in.

The combo I am using is a Mustang GT maf sensor with a cone filter. Sounds nice.

Posted by: Charlie_Mercury

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/07/16 02:20 PM

i asked this in another forum box but felt it on topic here also. If you do a PI head and intake swap on a NPI car, is the MZT still relevant ? or is there a different route to take with the PI head swap? Thanks.
Posted by: BigMerc96

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/07/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By CJwanamaker
i asked this in another forum box but felt it on topic here also. If you do a PI head and intake swap on a NPI car, is the MZT still relevant ? or is there a different route to take with the PI head swap? Thanks.
As I told you when you asked it before..Yes. You will need a larger MAF and tune if you do a PI headswap if you want it to run right. Its has been documented that the stock '96-'00 MAF can easily be maxed out on what it can read accurately when you start increasing airflow capabilities of the engine.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 09/07/16 03:48 PM

I am fixin to get the PI intake manifold. I have been reading the install thread and it sure seems complicated/scary. Plenty of talk about coolant leaks in various places. When I have it installed, I dont want to keep taking it apart to fix leaks. How common is the leak problem?...as I will be paying for this service

Goes faster without push bumper and spare tire
Posted by: CanarBear

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/14/16 11:14 AM

Mo's Speed Shop website is not working for me, should I e-mail him directly?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/14/16 11:48 AM

call him 770 222-5015
Posted by: AE9S

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/01/16 08:08 PM

Hey guys

I have a 2010 Grand Marquis, all stock except for a 2.25" cat-back Flowmaster system.

There's a 2008 P71 airbox, intake tube and MAF cartridge for sale here locally. Am I correct that this intake setup gives the same performance gains as the Marauder airbox and intake tube? In other words, can I save a few bucks with this setup and get the same performance?

Now for the really stupid questions...

I know I need a tune once I step up to the 80mm MAF. Like I said above, the car is stock except for a 2.25" cat-back Flowmaster setup with an H-pipe. I live in Colorado at 6,400' and drive the car year-round. Can I just call Mo's and get a tune from them? If so, is there a certain one I should ask for? How do I load it? Is there a link or write-up that explains that process (I have no idea how this works)? Would I be better off taking the car somewhere here locally to get a dyno tune? If so, how do I know if I've found a good shop or not?

Sorry for the rookie questions, I'm pretty new to Panthers and Fords in general - still figuring this stuff out! I've been into diesels and Harleys for years, these big cats are a little different. smile

Big thanks for any insight or helpful advice!

-Kris
Posted by: BlackVic_P71

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 11/02/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By AE9S
Hey guys

I have a 2010 Grand Marquis, all stock except for a 2.25" cat-back Flowmaster system.

There's a 2008 P71 airbox, intake tube and MAF cartridge for sale here locally. Am I correct that this intake setup gives the same performance gains as the Marauder airbox and intake tube? In other words, can I save a few bucks with this setup and get the same performance?

Now for the really stupid questions...

I know I need a tune once I step up to the 80mm MAF. Like I said above, the car is stock except for a 2.25" cat-back Flowmaster setup with an H-pipe. I live in Colorado at 6,400' and drive the car year-round. Can I just call Mo's and get a tune from them? If so, is there a certain one I should ask for? How do I load it? Is there a link or write-up that explains that process (I have no idea how this works)? Would I be better off taking the car somewhere here locally to get a dyno tune? If so, how do I know if I've found a good shop or not?

Sorry for the rookie questions, I'm pretty new to Panthers and Fords in general - still figuring this stuff out! I've been into diesels and Harleys for years, these big cats are a little different. smile

Big thanks for any insight or helpful advice!

-Kris

Going for a dyno tune on a stock car with an airbox would cost $$$$ for a few horses and they wouldn't know the car as well as Mo, call Mo's and they can probably guide you through it all.
They send you a tune through e-mail then you put it on an SCT device and load it through the OBDII port
Posted by: iarias_

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/02/17 05:43 PM

Picked up a complete airbox and tube assembly today for this upgrade, seller stated it came from a 09 cvpi however I would like to confirm as I wasn't able to find any solid info when researching the part numbers.

3l3a-12b579-ba MAF
5w73-9r530-bf Air Intake Tube & Filter Box

Any help is appreciated.
Posted by: Andreas

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/07/17 05:55 PM

I recognize numbers and they seem right. Anyways air filter box is correct.
Looking for one box myself for my 2006 LX.

A Quick search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-Crown-Victoria-Air-Intake-Tube-Filter-Box-5W73-9R530-BF-/131968688283?hash=item1eb9f2609b:g:9NkAAOSw8gVX~qLv&vxp=mtr
Posted by: Jaymillz517

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 01/29/17 04:34 PM

Great information, extremely useful to this newb.
Posted by: Montjoy7

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/10/17 12:29 PM

Getting close to putting this together on my '03, but I have a couple lingering questions I'm hoping someone can answer (or reassure me of) from this thread. I've scoured the whole site for a couple months now but wanted to get some direct input from any experts out there willing to take the time.

1. I'm about to buy the 80mm airbox and ziptube out of an '09, but I'm reading the ziptube won't fit on my '03? Is that correct, and which years would?

2. Will this wiring adapter work in lieu of having to solder/splice anything? http://www.ebay.com/itm/250767656932?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3. Have many of you encountered reliability issues after going for the tune, or are they generally more common due to underlying issues before the tune is implemented? What I'm particularly concerned about is being due for emissions testing in July -- would it be better to wait until after the testing?
Posted by: Montjoy7

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/16/17 12:38 PM

Anybody?
Posted by: AceCVPI

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/14/17 03:25 PM

I recently got a 04 P71 with the bigger marauder air box and MAF, cut the mufflers off and put some Straight pipe in place, not sure if it's the zip tube but loiks exactly like the set up in the pic of the OP. Plan on straight piping the rear cats or hollowing them (this isn't my daily and I live in an emissions free county, and I run it off road), has a lot of power and has 3.27 gears so decent acceleration. I also want to cut a hole in the bottom of the air box, run some piping or air duct hosing to a inlet in the bottom of the bumper to let in more air (stock inlet pulls air from behind the left headlight don't see how and wanted to run the hose from here but no space) and put a mesh filter on top of the new opening in the air box and seal it all up. Seem like a good idea? Also don't know if this is the proper section sorry if it's not
Posted by: 2011CVLX

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 10/25/17 06:47 PM

I see i have my work cut out for me. great post.
Posted by: tez4life

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/11/18 03:17 PM

-2004 models can use the 2004+ CVPI airbox/MAF instead of the Marauder airbox/MAF provided the correct connector is soldered in. Again, tuning still required

So, if I'm reading this right, let's say I found a complete air box, MAF sensor and zip tube out of a 04 PI, I could use it for my MAT? Instead of trying to find another Marauder air box?

The reason I'm asking is there is one local and I was going to try to get the tube, but if the air box and MAF will work too, I could just purchase the whole thing. I know I'll have to resolder the connection though to make it work on my 2003 Grand Marquis.
Posted by: billbishop7575

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/13/19 11:52 AM

Good write up.. very informative.
Posted by: Atomix

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/06/19 02:41 PM

This is probably the number one question new owners ask!
Posted by: Usmcdevildog

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/02/19 08:45 PM

Im assuming the answer is yes, but just to make sure, could I take an aftermarket K&N CAI out of a Marauder and drop it in a 2004 LX?
Posted by: TinyTim

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/04/19 12:15 AM

I think Marauders use a double barrel throttle body,so the zip tube wouldn't fit onto your throttle body.I'm not 100% sure on that,I might be thinking of Cobra Mustangs
Posted by: 88grandmarq

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/04/19 09:36 AM

Correct.. all the 4v engines have a larger, oval throttle body. so the air inlet tube is different from the 2v engines with a round throttle body.
Posted by: BigNSlow

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 05/08/19 09:41 PM

I am moving some writes up over from CVCA so this can be used in addition to the info above.

Below is a procedure for installation of a Mercury Marauder airbox and 80mm MAF on 1992-2007 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car models.

Tools, Materials & Parts

• 8mm socket
  • 10 mm socket
  • WD-40
  • Mercury Marauder airbox assembly and 80MM MAF - appr. $200 USD
  • new MAF wiring harness - Motorcraft part # WPT-102, appr. $35 USD

Procedure for removal of your old airbox

1. Undo the 3 nuts that hold the airbox to the fender using the 10 mm socket.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector for the MAF sensor.

3. If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector for the IAT sensor.

4. Undo the clamp that holds the zip tube to the airbox using 8 mm socket. It may be easier to remove the airbox together with the zip tube first by disconnecting the zip tube at the throttle body. You can then detach the zip tube from the airbox ones you have it out of the vehicle.

5. Remove the airbox from the vehicle if you haven't already done so.

Procedure for installing the new airbox

If you have a 2004 PI or 2005 and newer model, you can ignore steps 1-2 and can proceed to step 3.

1. As you may have noticed, the Marauder airbox does not have a spot to mount the IAT sensor. This is because the IAT is actually built into the MAF unit on the Marauder. Because of this, you have two choices. Either drill a hole in the new airbox for the sensor or get your hands on the updated wiring harness and use IAT sensor built into the MAF unit. Below are 3 different style connectors used by Ford for the MAF sensors. The one on top middle is the new style connector which is used on the Marauders. Your original connector will be either the one in the middle or the one on the bottom depending on your car year. It doesn't really matter which one you have as they have the same connections, the only difference is the arrangement of wires.

Top Connector

used on Marauder

Middle Connector

used on 1992-2002 models. On 2003 and 2004 civilian model outer pins are used for IAT.

Bottom Connector

used on 2004 CVPI and all 2005-2012 models

2. Cut off and discard your existing MAF connector as well as your IAT connector. As you can see, the new connector has 2 extra wires which are used for the IAT sensor. Now, if you are cheap skate like me and you are using a Taurus wiring harness, all you have to do is join the same color wires together and you are all set. If however, you bought your new harness from the dealer, you will need to do some additional work because the wires on the new connector are all one color (white). In that case, just use the above tables for reference. I prefer to solder the wires together and wrap them with some heat shrink tubing afterward but you can use other methods to connect the new wiring harness.

3. You can now install your new airbox on the car. Depending on the year of your car, there maybe some fitment issues. That is the airbox will sit a couple of inches higher than it should from the mounting locations. In this case, you can use some long bolts and a few washers from a hardware store to secure it to the fender.

4. Plug the MAF electrical connector into the MAF sensor.

5. Reattach the zip tube to the airbox and tighten the c-clamp.

Notes

If you are working on an older car especially from the North where they use a lot of salt on the roads, it is a good idea to pre-soak the 3 nuts that hold the airbox in place with WD-40 or kerosene at least 24 hours prior to actually doing the work. This will hopefully take care of the rust accumulated in those areas.

In order to use a Marauder airbox and 80mm MAF, you will have to get a custom programmed chip or a tune.

To save some money, you can find the new style connector on 2000 Ford Taurus at a junkyard.
Posted by: 08crownvictime

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/22/20 11:40 AM

anyone running AFE PRO dry filter in gray?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/22/20 11:55 AM

No reliable issues with my Lonnie 93 tune. I have the marauder maf/airbox. Forgot what year the airbox was. Get underdrives and addcos and holy moly!
Posted by: PickledVic

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/18/21 12:23 PM

Quote:
2004 models can use the 2004+ CVPI airbox/MAF instead of the Marauder airbox/MAF provided the correct connector is soldered in. Again, tuning still required

I got the airbox. Can I reuse the snorkel from my current airbox?

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 02/20/21 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By PickledVic
Quote:
2004 models can use the 2004+ CVPI airbox/MAF instead of the Marauder airbox/MAF provided the correct connector is soldered in. Again, tuning still required

I got the airbox. Can I reuse the snorkel from my current airbox?

By "snorkel" I assume you mean tube that connects filter box to throttle body?

The stock one might be stretched to fit. I would just go find a 2004 CVPI tube at the junkyard. Its one year only, but its the only one that makes things look proper, and is "plug and play" for pre2004 cars.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/08/21 10:03 AM

Snorkel as in the tube behind the headlight that connects to the airbox.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/09/21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By PickledVic
Snorkel as in the tube behind the headlight that connects to the airbox.

No, not without a lot of modifying.

Not sure why you would want to use the "small" snorkel vs the "marauder style" on the later CVPI boxes.

Removing that narrow trumpet used to be of the "must have" free mods here.

It frees up some extra vroom vroom noise, and much placeber Whorespowers.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/09/21 07:30 PM

Oh, I'm guessing you bought a box and it didn't come with one.

It really doesn't do much.

But it picks up cold air neta... doubt it makes a measurable difference.

but water intrusion neta... ive run gutted boxes all year long without water getting on the filter

I say just leave it off unless you can by one really cheap/free.

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 03/11/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By 124neta
Oh, I'm guessing you bought a box and it didn't come with one.

It really doesn't do much.

But it picks up cold air neta... doubt it makes a measurable difference.

but water intrusion neta... ive run gutted boxes all year long without water getting on the filter

I say just leave it off unless you can by one really cheap/free.

Thanks for the reply.

That's exactly what happened. It didn't come with the one I bought. I'll try to keep my eye out for one.
Posted by: 99siggy

Re: The "MZT" and some popular bolt-ons - 04/05/21 12:42 AM

For my 1999 LTC, when upgrading to the MZT, I had to modify the AirBox to accept the underside "Snorkel" and seal the forward facing stock snorkel the LTC uses. As-well as modifying the area where the air actually enters through the front grill, up to the area where to Snorkel picks up the air. Not much work, but definitely needs to be noted.