Harbor Freight jack stands recall

Posted by: Old_Guy_Stu

Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/22/20 07:57 AM

3-ton and 6-ton stands could collapse under load, no bueno. Details here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E027-9959.PDF

Looks like you can bring 'em back for a "refund" (store credit, of course), but they don't have replacement stands. So you bring 'em back and then go buy stands somewhere else.

Just looked at my 61196 (recalled) stands, and they have about 3/32 engagement depth on the pawl. The castings are rough enough that only half the pawl has wear on it. I don't think I want to trust 3/32 worth of Chinese cast iron.

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/22/20 10:06 AM

Further inspection reveals that I cannot cause the catch to release under load without raising the rack. So they're only dangerous if you joggle the car around and pull up on the release lever at the same time. So I'm calling them "safe enough" as it looks like you can't get anything better for anywhere close to the same price. Not worth it to trade in, in other words.

However, if you have these, give 'em a thorough check to make sure.
Posted by: 2007CrownVic

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/22/20 03:52 PM

It wouldn't be surprising if they all have the flaw that makes it happen and it's that mixed with non-precise manufacturing that causes some to work properly like yours and others to drop on their own.
The question I have is what other brands also have the same problem? Because chances are whatever chinese manufacturer made the HF ones also made them for others.
Posted by: Blu

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/22/20 06:57 PM

All good here, just checked mine out. The date on the notice was DEC 2012 - March 2019. Glad I use the quickjack.
Posted by: 124neta

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/22/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu

Worn out/ messed up teeth = guaranteed to go down on you.

Just get yourself some good old fashioned tree carcass.

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 06/12/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By 124neta

Just get yourself some good old fashioned tree carcass.

This post prompted me to make some new ones:
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4067196#Post4067196
Posted by: Lance01

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 06/19/20 10:41 PM

Yea I saw this last time I was in harbor freight. Not good.

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 06/20/20 06:39 AM

Wait, are we still talking about jack stands? Because there's some meth-head chicks that meet that description, too.

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 06/20/20 04:41 PM

Wait, are we still talking about jack stands? Because there's some meth-head chicks that meet that description, too.

Yes, If you follow the link in my follow up post you find a set of stands.

Softwood = guaranteed to not get you in trouble.

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 06/20/20 04:44 PM

For the record, they don't go up as high as most other jacks. However, I've not had any complaints from any of the girls that sat on them.
Posted by: TinyTim

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 06/21/20 01:04 PM

Giggity
Posted by: CrystalPistol

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/23/21 06:05 PM

Just marking safe here from the bad jack stand deals, all mine predate the flawed era by decades.
Posted by: Ryan

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/27/21 05:03 PM

I can't believe anyone would trust harbor freight jack stands in the first place.
Posted by: CrystalPistol

Re: Harbor Freight jack stands recall - 05/27/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By Ryan
I can't believe anyone would trust harbor freight jack stands in the first place.
I have 4 Craftsmen 1.5s, two Harbor Freight 1.5s, and except for paint color and stickers, there is absolutely NO difference.

I have some 3 ton units too.