Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving

Posted by: 01boatman

Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/23/21 11:22 AM

Before I take the rear-end apart agian, after take a 50mile trip with 4 dude in the car it's pushing oil out the breather and the once dry cover has oil leaking out the bottom, also over bumps the rear sways side to side, it has never done this before, all the controls arm appear to be tight, sway bar is just the stock one on a precitrack marquis, but the links are tight, the watz link also appears to be fine, the rear end was also rebuild by me and a couple of buddy's 2500-3000 miles ago, new seals and bearing everywhere, its an open diff as well.
Thanks for any ideas
Posted by: RF_Overlord

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/23/21 12:09 PM

Pushing oil out the vent tube means the rear end is either getting excessively hot or it's overfilled.

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/23/21 03:03 PM

I know it's not over filled, but would getting it hot kill the silicon on the cover? I didn't do any burn out, just 6k pulls, it does squeak the tires tho, and sliding corners
Posted by: RF_Overlord

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/23/21 03:17 PM

A tiny gap in the silicone bead could weep under pressure. That's one reason I prefer gaskets.
Posted by: GM_Guy

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/25/21 08:16 AM

Did you pick the dirt out of the vent tube?

If it is leaking out the cover, check whats left of the rtv and see if it set or not for the entire bead. I once got a bad batch of rtv that resulted in redoing a rear cover 4 times. First two from the same tube, third from another tube (same batch number unfortuneatly). Pulling it the third time found a lot of still "wet" rtv that never set up resulting in a leak. These days, if I got a new tube of rtv and leak chuck the rtv and get a new one from a different batch number.
Posted by: 2004_p71

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/25/21 12:18 PM

I had the same problem on my car few years ago after putting an diff girdle. I always wondered if it was because of the extra oil capacity the cover seems to be offering . It was exiting through the vent tube and after a few run down the track through the axle seals . Either way I will see it soon if the problem still exist when I put the car back on the road.

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/25/21 09:04 PM

It just started leaking, as I was under there not to long ago doing brakes, and it wasn't leaking, the rear end does wine and has what I would call a slight clunk some times hitting the gas in od, but I had 2 long time ford tech look and they said the pinion is to close, but can't go any farther back, ya we did clean the tube thoroughly
Posted by: Old_Guy_Stu

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/26/21 08:08 AM

Have a good look at the cover. They can and do rust from the outside.

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/26/21 10:09 PM

[quote][/quote] the cover is aluminum and I cleaned it good

Re: Rearend pushing oil and feels like it's moving - 10/28/21 07:41 PM

I just going to take it back apart, I think I didn't get the first bearing on all the way idk, what pinion bearings should I buy? I have timkin in it right now but they are probably junk, just hope the gears are fine, are all 8.8 the same?
Thanks for all the advice as well