Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1146730 - 03/12/07 09:39 PM Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: The perimeter
alrighty, it's installed...

step by step....

remove screw holding in emergency/parking brake release, then remove the OTHER screw on the opposit side of the plastic knee bolster cover...

which will reveal the METAL knee bolster....

Once you remove the knee bolster, you'll see a black connector with a bunch of wires going into it...You'll need to slip a socket in the hole, and unscrew the screw holding the connector in.....

which looks like this...

now, remove the grey protective cover from the black connector.... the sides squeeze in, to allow them to come out...

Cut the wires per the diagram at the bottom of this post...

I used a combo of solder and crimp connectors, insulated with tape... the electrical tape serves two purposes, one, it insulates the wires, and two, it relieves stress on the connector, and the wires going into the connector...

I Opted to use shielded quick disconnects instead of a relay socket.... It makes for a lot less mess, IMO, and confuses the hell out of anyone look at it who doesn't know what they're looking at

Relay Connected to wiring...

Here's the wiring diagram.......

And the Videos........

Install took about 45 mins....using common hand tools...

Links
#1146731 - 03/12/07 09:56 PM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
METRO_12 Offline

ok, I'm a little lost. Is this basically hot wiring your car?

#1146732 - 03/12/07 10:00 PM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Quote:

ok, I'm a little lost. Is this basically hot wiring your car?

no, the opposite, it prevents some jackoff from slamming a screwdriver into the ignition, twisting it, and taking off with your car, assuming it's not PATS equipped, which P71's DO NOT HAVE...

I can give you the key to my car, and unless you know how to start it, you won't start it... NOTHING will happen when you turn the key to 'start'...

READ the top left...

#1146733 - 03/12/07 10:11 PM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Damn, those look alot like my 95-00 and 01+ rear defrost pinouts

Good work Techno

I'm not sure how using the female spades is 'cleaner' than using an actual relay socket, though

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1146734 - 03/12/07 10:27 PM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
Logix7 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: West of Chicago
any info on doing a 92-94?

2004 Crown Victoria PI - Dark Blue Pearl
----------------------SOLD----------------------

#1146735 - 03/12/07 11:05 PM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Quote:

Damn, those look alot like my 95-00 and 01+ rear defrost pinouts

I think Ford did those diagrams

Quote:

Good work Techno

donkey shame

Quote:

I'm not sure how using the female spades is 'cleaner' than using an actual relay socket, though

Dunno, I pulled out a relay socket, and just thought.. 'meh..I have some shielded quick disconnect spade connectors, saves on the wiring' .... although not really true, I'd have to do the same amount of wiring, I just FELT like not using a socket, heh...

#1146736 - 03/13/07 12:04 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
Capt.Roob Offline
Rookie

Loc: miami,fl.
good deal! i was thinking of doing something like this on my 97. you just made it a whole lot easier for me. one question. so the rear defrost will turn on also everytime you turn the car on? or is it not functional anymore?

#1146737 - 03/13/07 12:33 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Quote:

good deal! i was thinking of doing something like this on my 97. you just made it a whole lot easier for me. one question. so the rear defrost will turn on also everytime you turn the car on? or is it not functional anymore?

NEITHER...

the rear defrost works the same as it did before, except now it starts the car also

turn car to start position, press defrost button, car starts with defrost button, defrost button STILL operates properly, as it's not 'on' when the LCM is 'on', as such the LCM doesn't recieve the "on" signal for the rear defrost..

if you press the defrost button, THEN crank, it will 'reset' the defrost output, so when you release the start button, defrost will still be off, IF for some reason you hit the button twice, then you can just hit it AGAIN to turn it off...

the key in start position only 'allows' the defrost button to work as a push button ignition.... without the defrost button held down, there's no juice to the starter... (see vid 2)

you can use ANY grounded output with that diagram, horn included, although the horn would sound, you'd need to make a lil change so that the horn wouldn't sound when the key is in 'start' position....

to use a positive output, you'd need to make other minor changes, but a switched ground is VERY easy to do...

#1146738 - 03/13/07 01:02 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
alex904 Offline

Loc: Florida
I think everyone should do this to their car. I had a passive alarm on mine where if you didn't press the button it wouldn't let you start the car. They broke my ignition and steering wheel column with a screwdriver and although I didn't have a siren, they would have stole my car and I would have never got it back or if I did it would have been trashed. Also if you do that you get an insurance discount.

#1146739 - 03/13/07 01:18 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
Bobert2647 Offline
Former Vic Owner
Posting Addict

Loc: West TN
My lousy aftermarket remote keyless had a starter cutout on it. When the doors were locked with the remote than opened with the key and tried to start the car nothing happened. But the keyless died. Thankfully with the car unlocked. But I'd removed the box for the crap remote keyless.

#1146740 - 03/13/07 01:29 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
alex904 Offline

Loc: Florida
Yeah I was really stupid one night and dropped my remote into the pool. Had to take off the remote cover, pull the battery, poor soda on it, because it had some I geuss dried up chlorine over everything and wait a couple hours for it to dry.

#1146741 - 03/13/07 02:22 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
M55 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Very nice, Techno.

Seems utterly straightforward. But, I'll ask what may seem like a dumb question.

Let's say at startup, I depress the defrost button first and then hit the key start switch to crank the engine. Is it the starter energizing that returns the defrost button to normal operation, or is it releasing the button?

BTW, kudos for the easy-to-follow instructions.

#1146742 - 03/13/07 02:23 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
Yvan Offline

Loc: Ontario and/or Qu�bec, Canad...
Hey that's cool... so you only have to pulse the defrost button right? You don't have to hold it while the starter spins?
-1992 Lincoln Continental - gone to the wreckers at 240 000km.
-2001 F150 XL 4.6l that needs a bit of TLC.
-2007 FX2, my dad's last truck.

#1146743 - 03/13/07 02:29 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Quote:

Very nice, Techno.

Seems utterly straightforward. But, I'll ask what may be a dumb question.

Let's say at startup, I depress the defrost button first and then hit the key start switch to crank the engine. Is it the starter energizing that returns the defrost button to normal operation, or is it releasing the button?

BTW, kudos for the easy-to-follow instructions.

I'm assuming it's the fact that that circuit isn't powered while the key is in the 'start' position, I've thought of every way I could to get the defrost button to 'accidently' stay on after I started it, and it's just not happening... that circuit doesnt get power when the key is in 'start' position, so it's not 'awake' to recieve the on signal (ground pulse) from the defrost switch, to the LCM..

Regardless, you should/will NOT have a problem with the rear defrost staying on, or accidentally coming on by itself, or any of that nonsense...

It's cheap, around 10$ if you have to buy everything to do it, EASY, QUICK ,and other than someone either towing your vehicle, or spending 20 mins rewiring the ignition, the car will be there...... hell, you might even save money on your car insurance for having a vehicle disable system...

#1146744 - 03/13/07 02:43 AM Re: Starter 'bypass' installed, pics/vids
M55 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
That's good to know. Makes the defrost button ideal for this setup. It's nice, too, that on the '98 it's to the left of the steering column.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
3 registered (slowlane, bluejay_32, ford05), 71 Guests and 257 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 206
a_d_a_m 129
DudeAbides 123
CrystalPistol 119
Old_Guy_Stu 115
Moby_Vic 80
ford05 60
Warped9 56
Ponyguy 56
RF_Overlord 52
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!