Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1008445 - 08/22/06 01:32 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
Hill185 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Boston, Mass.
Quote:

Quote:

we'll see if they can outlive the vic's ,outpower cv's ..yea , last longer ... no way

I have no experience in this field, so this is an honest question, but...

how much do we really need Crown Vics in our fleets? Reliability has proven itself to be a strong point--but the same is true of any number of other, otherwise superior cars that would reduce gas costs drastically.

How much is a full frame and V8, RWD necessary for a police force? Europeans use small, FWD cars for their police forces--what makes the US forces more in need of such huge things?

Passenger space in the back of the car shouldn't be an issue, as the only people going in there will be criminals who are already handcuffed and probably decidedly uncomfortable.

So why do we need barges to patrol our streets? I'm not trying to say we shouldn't, or advocate the use of smaller, more modern cars, it's just that I don't really understand why we use these things.

Being safe is a big concern. How many euro officers were

killed because there little car was crushed. Or how well

there police vehicles hold up/last. Who knows what those

numbers read. I would not want to be in a Ford Focus on

the side of the highway with cars going 70+ beside me.

("Interceptor4lyf")

#1008446 - 08/22/06 01:41 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
BMFer Offline
I'm your huckleberry
Grand Poobah

Loc: 30106
Quote:

I have no experience in this field, so this is an honest question, but...

how much do we really need Crown Vics in our fleets? Reliability has proven itself to be a strong point--but the same is true of any number of other, otherwise superior cars that would reduce gas costs drastically.

Name one.

Quote:

How much is a full frame and V8, RWD necessary for a police force? Europeans use small, FWD cars for their police forces--what makes the US forces more in need of such huge things?

Huge? Do you drive a yugo or what? They need large durable safe cars for all the equipment they carry, prisoners, etc. Europeans are small anywyay.

Quote:

Passenger space in the back of the car shouldn't be an issue, as the only people going in there will be criminals who are already handcuffed and probably decidedly uncomfortable.

Of course it's an issue.

Quote:

So why do we need barges to patrol our streets? I'm not trying to say we shouldn't, or advocate the use of smaller, more modern cars, it's just that I don't really understand why we use these things.

Think, you can figure it out.

'13 Coyote 5.0

#1008447 - 08/22/06 01:48 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
j-dawg Offline
Climber

Calm down, I wasn't saying they shouldn't be on patrol. I like Crown Vics. I was just asking why.

#1008448 - 08/22/06 01:52 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
BMFer Offline
I'm your huckleberry
Grand Poobah

Loc: 30106
I am always calm.

'13 Coyote 5.0

#1008449 - 08/22/06 07:26 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
silverfrost1 Offline
Climber

Loc: Connecticut
Quote:

...the only people going in there will be criminals who are already handcuffed...

1.) Most urban PDs use paddy wagons for the arrested. Who needs a back seat?

2.) Arrested people are not criminals, they are suspects who are going through the criminal justice system and are presumed innocent until proved guilty in a court of law, by a jury of their peers.

#1008450 - 08/22/06 08:05 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
metroplex Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: Motor City, USA
Quote:

Quote:

“They don’t seem appropriate as urban police cars,” Dr. Alpert said of the Chargers. “They’re not easy to get in and out of; its difficult to get prisoners in and out of them as well. And the engine, it’s just overkill.” Dr. Alpert said that police pursuits often result in crashes that lead to injury or death for officers and civilians.

This couldnt be more true, finally someone looking past the fact that it has a hemi v-8

we'll see if they can outlive the vic's ,outpower cv's ..yea , last longer ... no way

The HEMI will also get much worse gas mileage than the CV.

Actually, not quite. The cops with Hemi Chargers were getting 12 mpg in the city. When compared to a CVPI with 3.27s, yeah, the Hemi Charger gets worse gas mileage. But a CV with 3.55s can get about the same gas mileage in stop/go city driving. I can get 10-13 mpg depending on what type of city driving I am doing in the Crown Vic. This is the reason why the PDs aren't considering the Hemi Charger for city patrols but instead want them for highway patrols.

#1008451 - 08/22/06 08:10 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
Moby_Vic Offline

Cynical Idealist
Metroplectic

Loc: Central Florida
Quote:

1.) Most urban PDs use paddy wagons for the arrested. Who needs a back seat?

Say what? I don't think I've ever seen a paddy wagon.

#1008452 - 08/22/06 10:38 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
MIAMI-DADE Offline
Poobah

Loc: Miami Beach&Brooklyn N.Y.
Just woudering which car has a bigger trunk>charger or impala?

05 Crown Vic/LX/260K miles [sold]
2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LT

#1008453 - 08/22/06 10:48 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
Moby_Vic Offline

Cynical Idealist
Metroplectic

Impala: 18.6 cu ft
Charger: 16.2 cu ft

#1008454 - 08/22/06 11:13 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
MIAMI-DADE Offline
Poobah

Loc: Miami Beach&Brooklyn N.Y.
Quote:

Impala: 18.6 cu ft
Charger: 16.2 cu ft

Didn't realize it was that small.
Thanks

05 Crown Vic/LX/260K miles [sold]
2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LT

#1008455 - 08/22/06 11:18 AM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
Moby_Vic Offline

Cynical Idealist
Metroplectic

I think my '95 Mustang's trunk is bigger.

#1008456 - 08/22/06 12:38 PM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
P71_CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

“They don’t seem appropriate as urban police cars,” Dr. Alpert said of the Chargers. “They’re not easy to get in and out of; its difficult to get prisoners in and out of them as well. And the engine, it’s just overkill.” Dr. Alpert said that police pursuits often result in crashes that lead to injury or death for officers and civilians.

This couldnt be more true, finally someone looking past the fact that it has a hemi v-8

The HEMI will also get much worse gas mileage than the CV.

Actually, not quite. The cops with Hemi Chargers were getting 12 mpg in the city. When compared to a CVPI with 3.27s, yeah, the Hemi Charger gets worse gas mileage. But a CV with 3.55s can get about the same gas mileage in stop/go city driving. I can get 10-13 mpg depending on what type of city driving I am doing in the Crown Vic. This is the reason why the PDs aren't considering the Hemi Charger for city patrols but instead want them for highway patrols.

Sure they will. Cops are like kids...if they have a new toy they are going to want to use it. The novelty of the CV hasdworn off many years ago...like 1999. Weather it's a 1998 or a 2006 the car is basically unchanged. But the almighty Charger is new and it has a HEMI!!1!!11!!1!!1. Cops will not be able to keep their foot out of the gas at all. And your modded vic is no control subject of how a P71 will do in terms of mileage.

"I rather be hated for telling the truth, than loved for telling a lie".

#1008457 - 08/22/06 12:48 PM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
Moby_Vic Offline

Cynical Idealist
Metroplectic

hasdworn?

#1008458 - 08/22/06 01:18 PM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
Danny_R Offline

Loc: Deltona, FL
We got a couple of chargers in at work to have installs. The trunk is an absolute joke!!! Especially with the full size spare which sits on a slant when bolted down. There isn't room for anything!!! I do like the police package wiring they have in place though. Back seat has more leg room than the CV with the cage in place, mind you dont knock yourself out when climbing in and out of the back seat though. The roof line comes down at such an angle that you have to duck your head down tight to clear it. The consoles we had in our two chargers made the front seat a little cramped. Being an equipment installer i still prefer the ease and accessability of the CV when installing police equipment.

#1008459 - 08/22/06 01:48 PM Re: NYPD adds Charger to CV fleet
metroplex Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: Motor City, USA
As a gearhead, I prefer the 5.7L Hemi V8 that overpowers the Ford 4.6L "V6".

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Moby_Vic, Mperson, Ryan 
Who's Online
4 registered (ironmarinebill64, RF_Overlord, jimmyv1958, 1 invisible), 71 Guests and 291 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 162
Old_Guy_Stu 97
a_d_a_m 94
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 54
CrystalPistol 50
TheCableGuy 47
RF_Overlord 44
Ponyguy 39
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!