Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1037245 - 10/03/06 10:52 PM Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Florida, USA
Okay, let me describe the situation. I have a Marauder and if I accelerate quickly from a stand still to around 65+ and come to a stop rather quickly a few times in a row or retain 70+ for at least 50+ miles and go to city speeds I get a fair amount of moaning from the rear end. The moaning generally only occurs as I am very close to a dead stop or at a dead stop in D. I'm 99% sure it isn't the air suspension making that noise. I have put on about 5k miles since I had 4.10s installed. I am not necessiarly knocking the person whom I had install the gears. It may have been my fault from driving it a bit harder than I should have in the break in period. Again, I have 4.10s and the stock aluminum driveshaft. Maybe it is the whip from the driveshaft that is causing the rear gears to grind a little. Either way, the noise goes away after about thirty seconds to a minute. It isn't anywhere near deafenning. It's noticeable though, sometimes more than others. Does anyone else have any troubles like this? It sounds like a HMMMMMMM kind of grinding like. It only seems to be bad if I come to a stop and leave it in D. If it is neutral, I can't hear it. Again, it doesn't seem to happen all the time, only once in a while.

Car-
2003 Mercury Marauder 300B Silver Birch

Links
#1037246 - 10/03/06 11:02 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
Not_Gramps_Marq Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Southeastern, Wi
This topic would be better suited for the "high Performance" section. I'd have the axle setup again if I were you. Something DEFINATELY was not done properly. Did you install new or used Ring and pinion? What brand of gears? Ford? Richmond? Superior? Did they reuse your original Pinion bearing? Coulda screwed up pressing(or pounding) the bearing on the pinion and it took this long to wear. Was this a driveway gearsway or dealership?

#1037247 - 10/03/06 11:05 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

New pinion bearing was used along with new FRPP gears. The person installing it was a Ford Master tech and it was done at the dealer on the side, aka. no warranty. It was that or pay 2x for a dealer ticket. All local dealers wanted at least $540 for labor aproximately and he just wanted $250. These prices do not include fluids.

Car-

#1037248 - 10/04/06 12:38 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
Not_Gramps_Marq Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Southeastern, Wi
Double check the pinion nut. Do you know if the guy checked the backlash and whether it is in spec? I also had my axle done on my 97 by a ford certified tech on the side. My F250 had the pinion nut come loose and actually broke the pinion yoke where the u-joint sits. It made all sorts of noises.

#1037249 - 10/04/06 12:50 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Something wasn't set right, there are many fine tune adjsutments that need to be made when setting up a new set of gears. Backlash, pinion depth, runout, we are talking adjustments in the .001" range here.

It is likely a backlash or pinion depth issue, both are kinda a PITA to get just right and often get the 'good enough' treatment

In the mean time, back the car up on ramps and make sure it is filled all the way with diff fluid. You never know!

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1037250 - 10/04/06 12:52 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

Quote:

Double check the pinion nut. Do you know if the guy checked the backlash and whether it is in spec? I also had my axle done on my 97 by a ford certified tech on the side. My F250 had the pinion nut come loose and actually broke the pinion yoke where the u-joint sits. It made all sorts of noises.

Well it isn't that bad. I think the backlash/ depth is a bit off. Again, it doesn't happen at high speeds so it isn't the driveshaft. It only happens if I do a lot constatn speed highway driving then come to a stop or slow speeds on city roads and it goes away after thirty seconds.

It can also happen if I do a lot of hard aggressive driving and come to a few complete stops with lots of stop and go. It has a MHHHHHH sound to it and only lasts half a minute to a minute. It isn't defaining. It's about as loud as the a/c when it is running normally. It kind of sounds like the air suspension when it is inflating but you can tell it isn't. I just contacted my friend to see if he could get his buddy who did the work to reset the pinon bearing.

Shouldn't run me more than $290. Hopefully he will do it for a little less. Only one major problem though. I have a T/A performance cover and I lost the allen wrench that is needed to unscrew the bolts. I think I know who has it but if that person doens't have it I can call T/A and ask for a new one. Shouldn't be too hard.

Quote:

Something wasn't set right, there are many fine tune adjsutments that need to be made when setting up a new set of gears. Backlash, pinion depth, runout, we are talking adjustments in the .001" range here.

It is likely a backlash or pinion depth issue, both are kinda a PITA to get just right and often get the 'good enough' treatment

In the mean time, back the car up on ramps and make sure it is filled all the way with diff fluid. You never know!

He did do a good enough come to think of it. I saw him put in the fluids and I was there when they were purchased so the right amount should be in there.

Car-

#1037251 - 10/04/06 02:43 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
"It only seems to be bad if I come to a stop and leave it in D. If it is neutral, I can't hear it."

If you are getting the noise at a stop in drive but not in neutral it is probably not your rear differental making the noise. Did you get a reflash for the computer?

#1037252 - 10/04/06 08:09 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
cgarison Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsyltucky
Quote:

"It only seems to be bad if I come to a stop and leave it in D. If it is neutral, I can't hear it."

If you are getting the noise at a stop in drive but not in neutral it is probably not your rear differental making the noise. Did you get a reflash for the computer?

Have you had you transmission flushed recently?
HPP Sway Bar

http://cgarison.blogspot.com

#1037253 - 10/04/06 10:08 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

The computer has had a reflash with a Lidio SCT tune and the car had a tranny flush last 32,000 miles and it has 48,200 on it now. So neither should be an issue.

Car-

#1037254 - 10/04/06 11:59 AM Re: Minor rear end issues.
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Did you get a reflash after the 410s were put in to correct the speedo and reorganise the shifting pattern of the tranny?

#1037255 - 10/04/06 12:17 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

Read above, yes. It is the correct reflash. I have the same basic 4.10 program that everyone from Lidio gets for their Marauder.

Car-

#1037256 - 10/04/06 06:28 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
luv-my-2002-p71 Offline
4v swap + Full Rauder Everything
Over the Hill

Loc: New York
If your rear end is making noise when the car is at a complete stop then it's not the rear end.

03 300A Ported uppper/lower | SW Longtubes | Borla ProXS | Magnaflow muffled X pipe | Circle D Pro series TC | J-Mod | MSD Cops | Kinsler | 255lph | Dyno tune | 3.73s | Trick flow cover | MMC shaft | 13.8 @ 99 N/A
08 MGM LS 17k! (13K in Aug-16) New daily driver | Loaded Black/Black leather, heated | remote start | factory security glass |Air Ride | Wood leather wheel | 2.73 RAR! | Borla Catback dual kit with H pipe

#1037257 - 10/04/06 08:30 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

No you are not reading correctly. It's only if I come to a complete or close to a complete stop and only after I have been driving 60+ either very hard or hit 80+ for an extended period of time then come to a quick stop or quickly drop speed to say 50 mph which leads me to believe that it is either due to driveshaft whip or something wrong with the rear end. Either way, at a mininum, I should get the rear diff. fluids flushed and new fuild put back in and buy an MMX driveshaft. In time anyway.

Car-

#1037258 - 10/04/06 10:01 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
cgarison Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsyltucky
What year model is the Marauder?

Also, I would check and see if the axle seals are leaking. On my 2003 GM, I could not see the leaking seal until I was under the car and looking at the gear oil on the wheel.
HPP Sway Bar

http://cgarison.blogspot.com

#1037259 - 10/04/06 10:06 PM Re: Minor rear end issues.
StevenJ Offline
Over the Hill

Mine is a 03 300B, IE not an early 03' build so it shouldn't be affected. My car was built around June of 03. I haven't had this problem before with 3.55s so I am pretty sure it is related to the 4.10s. Either way, I should get it straightened out eventually. Keep in mind, I'm not an expert but I do not see any leaks. I think dRock96Marquis is right that it is probably a pinion bearing issue that it hasn't been set right. Also, it has 48,000 miles on it. If it had bad axles, it would have gone bad by now and I think I'd hear the noise regardless.

Car-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
5 registered (RF_Overlord, Scuba_Steve, gwehland23, hkerekes, TheShadow), 112 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 24
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
Traffic22 16
GM_Guy 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!