Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1046690 - 10/18/06 06:09 AM Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
TDScott11 Offline
n00b

Hi all, I loooked through the forum for a problem similar to mine but couldn't find anything exactly, so I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me. First of all, I own a '98 CV HPP with 118K miles on it. The problem with the car is that under acceleration, especially at low speeds and going around corners such as turning into my neighborhood, the car loses almost all power and makes a rapid clicking noise before returning to normal about 3-5 seconds later. It also stutters at times while cruising at highway speeds, but this is rare, brief and intermittent while the problem at low speeds and around corners is constant. I've had the IAC valve replaced, fuel pump and filter replaced, a full tune-up done, MAF cleaned, and one fuel injector replaced all to no avail. The problem has been ongoing for about 2 years, however it continues to evolve. At first it idled horribley rough and threw some codes (misfire) and the CEL. After this, I had the tune-up done and the IAC replaced and it fixed the rough idle problem, but it would still randomly jerk while cruising and threw more codes (misfire again). Then I had a fuel injector replaced (on the misfiring cylinder), the MAF cleaned and the fuel filter replaced which seemed to fix the problem for a couple of days and then back to the same deal again at which point the shop that replaced my plugs the first time actually replaced them for free hoping that maybe I had a bad plug. This didn't fix the problem and I just resigned myself to living with it and then one day the car wouldn't start at all and that's when I replaced the fuel pump and the filter for a second time. This seemed to do the trick for about a month, and now I'm back to this same old problem. I took it in to have it looked at, and it's throwing no CEL or codes of any sort and the shop can find nothing wrong with it (checked fuel pump pressure, looked for leaks, etc). The mechanic drove it around and saw what it was doing and says he can only guess that it might be the transmission, but I'm not sold on this. I'm really at a loss here and just want the thing fixed so if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

PS - I don't know if it makes any difference, but the whole problem actually started immediately after having the engine detailed. The detailer does all the engines for a local Ford dealership and said that the rough idle was normal after an engine detail and that it would go away within a few days, but as you can see, it never has.

Links
#1046691 - 10/18/06 09:48 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
Joe Bernardo Offline
n00b

You know, I own a 1999 CVPI and it has done the same thing. And it has continously done this. I first replaced a catalytic converter since the damn thing glowed cherry red and was boggin my engine down horribly under acceleration. Then i replaced the IAC and it worked for a while then it gave me codes on misfire on #5 cylinder, so i replaced it. It worked for some time and then went back to normal. I have had the car for about 3 years and it just doesnt get better. All my injectors are working properly, coil packs are fine, sensors also are fine. The only light in this dark tunnel of a problem was that i took off my intake manifold and completely cleaned everything to a tee. I put this thing back on and the car started and ran beutifully. IT RAN GREAT. but then it got worse. So i finally gave up and took it to a mechanic and he said that it would be very expensive to just do exploratory work on the car but he did say he thinks that the manifold does not have a good seat on the heads and is sucking in air on one side, he said this because he noticed residue on the head and manifold juncture. wetness. I have most of your problems and this is the only thing i think would help me. Just some advice and to let you know your not the only one out there with a mystery problem like this.

everything else stock.

#1046692 - 10/18/06 10:52 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
MYCROWNVIC94 Offline
n00b

YOU SHOULD HAVE THE COILS CHECKED OUT AND THE CRANK SENSOR. I HAVE A CONTINENTAL WITH A 4.6 DOHC AND I DID A TUNE UP AND THE CAR LOST 3/4 OF ITS POWER. A COIL WAS BAD. SO I REPLACED IT AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AGAIN

#1046693 - 10/19/06 09:56 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
TDScott11 Offline
n00b

Thanks for the help guys. Still have no idea what's causing the problem. My '98 CV is "coil-on-plug" and after the tune-up didn't cure the problem, he actually did a complete second tune-up using a different brand (motorcraft). The first brand was something else (I don't remember what) but the hope was simply that maybe we'd gotten a bad plug or that it would work better if replaced with stock parts, but unfortunately it made no difference. I haven't done any work to the manifold but being on my 3rd CV I'm definitely aware of the potential for trouble there. But of course, when the mechanic checked it out, he said it was still fine. They literally can find nothing wrong with it and say it looks perfect, yet they've driven it and the fact that SOMETHING isn't ok is very obvious. What gets me is I put 30K miles on this car and it was perfect, then I get the engine detailed and poof, it's shot.

#1046694 - 10/19/06 10:37 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
Warren'74 Offline
Poobah

Loc: Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
It still sounds spark related. Personally, I think it is a Coil pack boot.

Pull the coils and "squeeze" together the boots, look at it from the bottom for cracks. YES this can cause it.

#1046695 - 10/19/06 10:45 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
Taximan Offline
Climber

Loc: Livonia, Michigan
You might also try replacing the DPFE sensor. Its located at the rear of the engine. There have been previous posts on this. It can be damaged by water and cause your same symptoms. I had to replace mine after detailing my engine.

#1046696 - 10/19/06 11:37 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
luv-my-2002-p71 Offline
4v swap + Full Rauder Everything
Over the Hill

Loc: New York
Yep. DPFE is $40.00 Replace it at ford dealer.

Get a NEW set of COPS (Expensive at the dealer) or cheap on ebay ($100) you can do this yourself and save money.

The cops and boots are shot. Plugs are new so those are fine.
To be sure, just replace all 8 (cops and boots)

03 300A Ported uppper/lower | SW Longtubes | Borla ProXS | Magnaflow muffled X pipe | Circle D Pro series TC | J-Mod | MSD Cops | Kinsler | 255lph | Dyno tune | 3.73s | Trick flow cover | MMC shaft | 13.8 @ 99 N/A
08 MGM LS 17k! (13K in Aug-16) New daily driver | Loaded Black/Black leather, heated | remote start | factory security glass |Air Ride | Wood leather wheel | 2.73 RAR! | Borla Catback dual kit with H pipe

#1046697 - 10/19/06 11:38 AM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
Warren'74 Offline
Poobah

Loc: Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Quote:

Yep. DPFE is $40.00 Replace it at ford dealer.

Get a NEW set of COPS (Expensive at the dealer) or cheap on ebay ($100) you can do this yourself and save money.

The cops and boots are shot. Plugs are new so those are fine.
To be sure, just replace all 8 (cops and boots)

CHeck the easy stuff first...like the boots....Ive never had a COP fail yet...although some have had several.

#1046698 - 10/19/06 01:50 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
"The problem with the car is that under acceleration, especially at low speeds and going around corners such as turning into my neighborhood, the car loses almost all power and makes a rapid clicking noise before returning to normal about 3-5 seconds later."

The traction control is kicking in. Is the traction control light flickering when this condition is happening?

I have noticed that if I have one low rear tire the T/C will activate even on a low speed corner. If you put tires on the rear that are smaller in diameter than the front tires you can end up with T/C on all the time.

If they are even slightly smaller than the front tires the T/C will kick in much quicker.

Replace the coil on the cylinder that was misfireing and replace the boots and wires on the other coils.

#1046699 - 10/19/06 06:09 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
TDScott11 Offline
n00b

Hey guys, thanks again for all the replies and I think I may have found some other threads on this site that could help with this. When searching for threads on the DPFE (because I didn't know what it was) I saw some threads on cleaning the EGR passages as well and I'm thinking at this point that it's one of the two or both (DPFE / EGR). The reason the EGR stands out for me is that my car DEFINITELY has the hesitation issue almost exclusively when the engine is warm, never when it's cold. In fact, the shop I took it to recently couldn't get it to duplicate the hesitation I described until I told them to drive it until it got good and warm and then take it through a neighborhood (low speed, lots of turns)...presto, big time hesitation / loss of power. DPFE sensor makes sense for the same reason I think (it controls the EGR, right?) plus it would make sense because the problem started after an engine detail. So, I guess my question now is, where do I start, DPFE sensor or EGR passages? Thanks for all the help!

#1046700 - 10/19/06 07:28 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
Joe Bernardo Offline
n00b

hey, if you dont mind can you show me those threads that you found, i have the same problem. thanks,
joe

everything else stock.

#1046701 - 10/19/06 08:27 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
If your hesitation problems started with and "engine detailing session" and if such session included spraying a lot of water around the engine compartment, I think that it would be reasonable to suggest that you may have water in one or more of the spark plug wells. This will cause a misfire and may ruin both the coils and the plug.

If you have a 98 you can probably rule out the EGR passages. The EGR passages tend to block up on the 92 to 95 models which have an aluminum intake manifold with EGR passages located under the throttle body. They also tend to burn more oil due to leaking valve seals and the combination of flawed design and leaking seals produces ideal gunk to block the passages. 96 and newer models experience very few if any blocked EGR channel issues.

#1046702 - 02/15/07 09:02 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
TDScott11 Offline
n00b

Hey, just wanted to update anyone who might be interested on my "problem". Turns out I had a gasket leak on the intake manifold. Finally discovered this due to loss of coolant (started losing about 90% of a tank every 3,000 miles). Coolant was going into the spark plug well on cylinder #4 and causing a misfire (got really bad and finally threw a code). Went ahead and replaced entire manifold with one of the "fixed" versions and also had to replace the coil pack on cylinder 4 as it was damaged by the coolant. 3 weeks now and not so much as a single miss / stutter / sputter or anything else. Problem appears "fixed" (crosses fingers).

#1046703 - 02/16/07 11:33 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
Mayonaze Offline

Loc: Eastern NC
Congratulations on the fix.

-Mayonaze-
2005 CVPI, Silver, with "Street Appearance" Package. Purchased w/95k miles from NCSHP in 05/08. In 05/09 this car is at 137k+ miles. Onboard IBM T60 Thinkpad in jotto desk, HP Deskjet Printer, GPS,ScanGauge II, Alltel Internet access with Kyocera aircard and ext. trunk mount antenna.

#1046704 - 02/16/07 11:46 PM Re: Need help - hesitation during acceleration...
98VicP71 Offline
13.97@99MPH
Grand Poobah

Loc: ATL
Good work. wish you many more happy miles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
2 registered (RF_Overlord, speedfreak), 136 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!