Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1112161 - 01/24/07 02:18 AM Could a headlight impact set off the airbags???
85crownHPP* Offline
Poobah

Loc: central VA
Is there by chance possibly a sensor right behind one of the headlights??

I need to know becuase for some reason Im trying to entertain the idea that a collision capable of deploying the airbags could possibly only affect one headlamp (as claimed over the phone buy the guy trying to sell the car who lives an hour away)
this is a 95 gmq LX that needs a headlight (but no other body damage ) and airbags

PS where would the SRS brain be located??

85HPP's mods:
CFI to SEFI conversion w/ HO upperstuff - headers & flowmasters - p71 airbox - Towncar seats - LED dash light-show - center gauge console - LED 3rd brake light - 3G alternator - mini starter - washer/coolant bottle upgrade - Towncar power trunk pull - underhood fuse/relay box - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - painted HPP wheels - 600W RMS Alpine driven 10-speaker stereo

Links
#1112162 - 01/24/07 02:20 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags???
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: The perimeter
nope, sensors are on the cross member where the hood latch is, it's an accelerometer, measures how fast the vehicle stops......

well, at least thats how all airbag systems I know work, the vic might be slightly diff...

the SRS brain is located behind the pass. side kick panel, where you'd normally find the "police auxiliary wiring" on a 98+ p71...

#1112163 - 01/24/07 02:23 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Louisville, KY
From what I've been told:

Airbags are set off by inertia, not a sensor impact. It was described to be as a "ball bearing" of sorts sitting in a "tube". It takes a certain amount of inertial stop to make that ball move and when it does the airbags deploy.

Now.. lets see if he was correct.

How airbags work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question130.htm

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System
..and many other things people told me my car is equipped with.

#1112164 - 01/24/07 02:26 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Quote:

From what I've been told:

Airbags are set off by inertia, not a sensor impact. It was described to be as a "ball bearing" of sorts sitting in a "tube". It takes a certain amount of inertial stop to make that ball move and when it does the airbags deploy.

Now.. lets see if he was correct.

How airbags work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question130.htm

lol, that IS the sensor, you silly man......

Quote:

The sensor is the device that tells the bag to inflate. Inflation happens when there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10 to 15 miles per hour (16 to 24 km per hour). A mechanical switch is flipped when there is a mass shift that closes an electrical contact, telling the sensors that a crash has occurred. The sensors receive information from an accelerometer built into a microchip.

#1112165 - 01/24/07 02:46 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
On a 95-97, the crash sensors are located right behind and to the center (of vehicle) from each highbeam headlight - on the core support

If you smack a crash sensor with a hammer, it will probably go off.

Needless to say if it gets smacked with a headlamp, it will probably also go off

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1112166 - 01/24/07 02:46 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
85crownHPP* Offline
Poobah

thank you sir
so perhaps a chance this could be true... I may have to go look at this car after all.
Its supposed to be "champagne" color paint....

85HPP's mods:
CFI to SEFI conversion w/ HO upperstuff - headers & flowmasters - p71 airbox - Towncar seats - LED dash light-show - center gauge console - LED 3rd brake light - 3G alternator - mini starter - washer/coolant bottle upgrade - Towncar power trunk pull - underhood fuse/relay box - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - painted HPP wheels - 600W RMS Alpine driven 10-speaker stereo

#1112167 - 01/24/07 03:42 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

How could smacking an accelerometer make it go off? Think about it.

Quad-Cam Cop Engine, Bullet Proof Tires & Windows, Stab Proof Seats, Steel Door Beams, SuperCharger, Anti-Deer Harmonic Wheel Covers, Trunk Mounted Counterbalance System

#1112168 - 01/24/07 04:05 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

an accelerometer measures acceleration/deaceleration.....

#1112169 - 01/24/07 04:25 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

and thus hitting a solid object results in neither.

#1112170 - 01/24/07 04:27 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Well; if you're so sure go give it a try, Colonel

The core support is not made of concrete, nor is the crash sensor's mount. It will bend and flex when hit - resulting in movement - meaning acceleration and decceleration took place

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1112171 - 01/24/07 04:52 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
Colonel Offline

Grand Poobah

#1112172 - 01/24/07 08:24 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
jeroger1 Offline
Climber

Loc: Crystal River, Florida
Quote:

and thus hitting a solid object results in neither.

If you hit it with a big enough hammer to accelerate the car backwards at 15 mph...

#1112173 - 01/24/07 10:49 AM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
btsom Offline
Poobah

Loc: Oklahoma,America
Backing up a pick up truck is a blind operation. It is quite possible to destroy a headlight at a very low speed just by backing into it. Parking lot dings usually take place in "slow motion" and involve mis judgement of vehicle position rather than a high energy impact. While there is no guarantee the air bag did not go off, it is easily conceivable that it didn't. Why not ask?

#1112174 - 01/24/07 12:40 PM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
Steve83 Offline

Poobah

Loc: Memphis, TN 38060, USA, Earth,...
Yes, any impact - ESPECIALLY one that goes directly to the core support (like to a headlight) - can set off the airbags. That's what happened to me recently. But it takes more than JUST that. The safing sensor (usually inside the airbag module) must also be engaged at the exact same moment. I was braking at about 5mph & my headlight hit the Tahoe's bumper hard enough to shatter the header & push the fender back to the door. The combination of braking & the collision was enough to trigger both the impact sensor AND the safing sensor, so the bags blew.

DEcelleration is just ACcelleration in the opposite direction of velocity, and that's exactly the direction the sensors are designed to work in.

BTW Cylon
If you're reading this, the body shop has totalled the car. But I'm still gonna try to fix it.

. . .

#1112175 - 01/24/07 09:25 PM Re: Could a headlight impact set off the airbags??
85crownHPP* Offline
Poobah

Well I went and looked at it... i could tell from the road the the front end was crunched... the grille area was pushed back in, and the bumper cover looked all sorts of chipped up.
Everything was still there (except the headlamp) but you could tell it had taken a hit. I could not see the fender or corner of the hood that the headlamp was out of, but they had to be damaged. I didnt even get out of the car since I was already running late. I left him a message offering $200.... meh

85HPP's mods:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chaplian, jmlock, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's Online
2 registered (bluejay_32, Traffic22), 61 Guests and 269 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 164
a_d_a_m 105
Old_Guy_Stu 102
DudeAbides 54
Moby_Vic 51
CrystalPistol 48
TheCableGuy 43
RF_Overlord 43
Ponyguy 41
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!