Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#27870 - 11/12/02 02:30 PM Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I decided before I build myself a ram air I would do the fan mod. I want to get rid of clutch fan, and install and electrical fan. Thus far, search for electrical fan in this message board, didn't find much. Please help me out, point me to a web side with instructions?

Also, tell me how much horsepower can I realistically expect from this mod? Perhaps I don't gain any horsepower with this mod, is it just helps the engine reach higher RPM faster because of reduced drag on the engine?

Links
#27871 - 11/12/02 03:31 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Boosting Offline

Poobah

Loc: Melrose, MA
God damn man, I don't need to be rude here, but I believe you got this idea because of the thread i made on HOW TO REMOVE THE CLUTCH FAN. Use the search feature, and search "clutch fan removal" in lizard lounge and 4.6 tech. i have a whole thread explaining how to remove it. removing the fan does reduce the engine drag. I removed my fan and shroud and mounted the lone electric fan onto the radiator. I found that its not worth the hassle, you'd be better off just keeping the clutch fan and shroud on there to avoid any overheating issues. The electric fan kicks on at 205degree, a bit too hot and will cause a pinging craze.

Go to www.summitracing.com and pick out an electric fan, if you dont have a high powered electric fan, don't remove the clutch fan and shroud. The electric fan isn't enough to cool the engine properly at its set turn-on degree. You can get a thermostatic switch to install in your upper radiator hose so it will turn the fan on at a set degree. I had my shroud and clutch fan removed for about 4 days, i tested it in and out and its really not worth the hassle. Like i said, purchase an aftermarket powerful electric fan before removing the clutch fan and shroud because the stock electric fan(when mounted to the radiator via hack-job) is not enough to cool well when the EEC/PCM tells it to turn on at 205degrees.

If you have a chip, it can be programmed to turn the fan on at a desired temp, if you dont have a chip, it goes on at 205.

#27872 - 11/12/02 04:12 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

#27873 - 11/12/02 05:14 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I read you.

Here is how I decided I'm going to do this mod:

First off, I'll unbolt the clutch fan, just unbolt it without taking the whole assy out. I'll give it a short and fast ride, see how it feels. If I like what I feel, I'll be removing it after I get an electric fan in front of radiator.

Secondly (I'm going to do this anyway), I'll get an electric fan installed in front of the radiator. (one or two electric fans) Then I'll think of how to make them turn on at predetermined temperature and possibly when the car is idling or not moving. Also, I'll think of a light that will go off when current is applied to the fan and it doesn't turn.

Then, depending on how well it rides without clutch fan, I might take out the clutch fan and install a massive electric fan behind the radiator in place of the clutch fan.

Now for the front fans, I have set my eyes on 12 in. 1200 cfm. Summit High Performance Electric Fan. http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=5&s=93&p=1684&searchtype=ecat Will this fan fit into my 95 vic, in front of the radiator? Will two fans like this fit? (perhaps I could go with 10 in. 900 cfm., in either case I’ll be all inside my vic this weekend measuring all over)

Which electric fan did you use on your 1995 Crown Victoria P73??

#27874 - 11/12/02 06:44 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
96P71 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Stirling, NJ
Wow $80 bux for One 12" electric fan? I'm looking at two (2) 12" Hayden Fans on Ebay for $59.95

-

It looks like a smaller version of the fan that is in my car now.

R.I.P.

#27875 - 11/12/02 06:49 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious, I wonder how many CFM the standard mechanical fan is supposed to pull? You might not need something as massive as 1200 CFM. Honestly, I never really checked how many the one I put on there has, I just went by the size and bought the biggest one I could slap on there. Gotta love that employee discount I got at Advance Auto, too - saved $15 offa the $75 total! Hoo-ahhh! [Banana Man]

Putting a fan in front of AND after the radiator might be overkill, especially in winter. If you're doing the desert-driving thing, though, wellllll ... [Wink] I'd suggest going with one big "puller" fan behind the radiator or two smaller side-by-side fans of the same type. Trust me, putting anything between the coolant radiator and the A/C radiator is gonna be a nightmare - threading through and trimming those pokey tie-down thingies through the coolant rad. was a major PITA to do without unhooking and removing the rad. itself. Good thing I've got skinny little monkey arms. [Big Grin]

The part number for the fan I used was ... ummm ... I'll hafta look it up tomorrow while I'm at work, since I tossed the box to it a week ago. [Embarrassed] List price was like $69 at Advance Auto (not including my discount [Smile] ).

#27876 - 11/12/02 07:11 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the stock clutch fan, I'd be guessing a lot of cfm.. All would depend of how much horsepower you put to it. That's why I want two big fans capable of pulling a lot of air. Find out what type of fan you had, find out your cfm. numbers, that will give us some sense of what to aim for. Also, was this past summer a HOT one, how did your car faired through it? What's your driving habits/necessities?

#27877 - 11/12/02 07:54 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I drive like everyone else on here ... like a madman. [Big Grin] Nah, actually just your normal, standard, run-of-the-mill putt-putting around sort of thing, with occasional bursts of WOT from stoplights when realistically challenged (I'm not so crazy as to take on stuff like 'Stangs and Camaros, but 80% of the rice out there is fair game). All this summer, with the A/C on and stuck in traffic for 45 mins. at a time, everything held up nicely. So far, with the electrical fan, it's been every bit as good (if not BETTER) under the same circumstances, although this is in 70-something-degree weather. Hafta wait until next year when the 90's come back, or if/when I move out to Arizona, I'll see how it survives THAT kinda heat. If it'll hold up to THAT, I'd say it's a *FAIRLY* safe setup. [Smile]

#27878 - 11/13/02 01:02 AM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Btw, the above posted pic of the fan is almost exactly what I've got on mine right now, 'cept a tad bit bigger.

#27879 - 11/13/02 01:24 AM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
96P71 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Stirling, NJ
 -
This is the Stock Electric fan. It looks like the Hayden, in the way the blades are designed. The stock fan isn't good for anything over 75 Deg. by itself. One thing I don't like about the single Electric Fan is, if the fan dies (like my old one did) I won't have any air flow. [nonono]

R.I.P.

#27880 - 11/13/02 07:45 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Advance Auto number for the fan I put on: 226114

Although whilest looking it up today, I noticed a small annotation I hadn't caught before...

"2 Required."

Oops. [ohcrap]

But hey, works fine as-is right now, anyway. If it starts getting warm next summer, I can always tack on a second one and run it on a manual switch with the other always on - if I get stuck in traffic or it's a pretty hot day and the needle climbs, *click*, problem solved. Still a tad cheaper than buying a whole new fan blade and fan clutch like I was gonna hafta do.

#27881 - 11/13/02 07:56 PM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really don't know what you talking about, these clutch fans are only $30.. I'm doing this mod for performance, not because I have a bad clutch fan. I might actually end up with 2 electric fans and a new clutch fan, if so I'd go for one of these Flex fans , that blow more at lower RPM.

#27882 - 11/14/02 11:26 AM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The flex fans I've seen installed on folks' cars are HORRIBLY loud. There isn't a clutch to 'em AT ALL, so they don't "slip" as the RPM's go up and your car ends up sounding like a 4200 lb Hoover vacuum cleaner. Considering it puts as much physical drag on the system as a stock clutch fan (if not MORE), I can't figure how there'd be any gain from it, aside from *maybe* better cooling. Only real use they have would be on trucks or if you do a lot of towing or something, I guess.

Besides, they cost wayyyy over $30 on average when you add on the cost of one of those goofy "adapter" spacer things they require. And our cars, being serpentine setups, I beleve require some kinda particular flex fan (runs backwards or something, I can't recall) and they run a few bucks more than the normal ones for some reason.

#1207941 - 06/10/07 08:35 AM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan. [Re: Anonymous]
drewallen422000 Offline
Rookie

Loc: AZ

#1207962 - 06/10/07 10:53 AM Re: Getting rid of clutch fan. [Re: drewallen422000]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
drwallen, wtf is up with you bumping all the old posts with a completely off topic pic?

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

Who's Online
5 registered (WalterL, akr619, cv83, webestang, Bangster), 103 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!