Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1255191 - 08/14/07 05:55 PM 2006 + Gauge Cluster
91LTDCV Offline

Hey Guys,

I did a search but could not come up with anything ... maybe I wasn't doing it right. I'm assuming that a 2006 + Cluster will fit in a 1998 - 2005 physically but is it a direct plug and play? I highly doubt it but thought I would ask the experts. I haven't seen the rear of a 2006 + cluster to know. Anyone made this mod / upgrade and if so what is involved? Thanks!

Links
#1255298 - 08/14/07 08:07 PM Re: 2006 + Gauge Cluster [Re: BigNSlow]
kellydood Offline
Climber

Loc: nunayerdambusiness
LMAO way to clear that up for him.

#1255370 - 08/14/07 09:29 PM Re: 2006 + Gauge Cluster [Re: BigNSlow]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
 Originally Posted By: 2 Blue Merks
.... A Marauder cluster swap would be a lot easier to do.[/color]

It's also been done before, both into pre 03 Panthers...

#1255374 - 08/14/07 09:31 PM Re: 2006 + Gauge Cluster [Re: 91LTDCV]
cvpi73 Offline
Climber

Loc: Midway Airport, on the runway.
 Originally Posted By: 91LTDCV
Hey Guys,

I did a search but could not come up with anything ... maybe I wasn't doing it right. I'm assuming that a 2006 + Cluster will fit in a 1998 - 2005 physically but is it a direct plug and play? I highly doubt it but thought I would ask the experts. I haven't seen the rear of a 2006 + cluster to know. Anyone made this mod / upgrade and if so what is involved? Thanks!

06+ has CAN or some form of serial interface and wont work.

#1255458 - 08/14/07 11:37 PM Re: 2006 + Gauge Cluster [Re: cvpi73]
Bull Offline

Contract Cleaner
Over the Hill

Loc: Dayton Ohio
Ok.... it could be done, it is more than plug and play.

You will need access to a VCM/IDS computer to reflash the PCM, as you are adding a different module. I don't know if that would be the easy or the hard part, wiring between the 2 PCM's, 05'-06' is similar but different. Not to mention, the wires that run to the I/C for the self test/diagnostic modes are not even present on the 05' harness.

The PCM's are a uni-board design, meaning that they are idenical, but depending on the flash
(programming parameters) that is in the unit, will the outputs be determined.
This could probably be done easily with a PCM swap, if you could find a like cluster and PCM from a car with the same options as yours, things like cruise, TC, anti theft are all programmed into the PCM, so to retain those, you would need a like donor car.

Then.... for an 05' at least, you would either need a harness (dash and PCM) or a lot of time to change wires and verify position, of course, Ford has changed colors between the 2 years to make this task that much more enjoyable.

I have a cluster coming, my 05 is still under warranty, no way am I hacking mine apart, but if someone were to send me a test car......... J/K.

I will look a little closer when I get my parts, call my guy @ Ford and see if I can access the VCM/IDS, etc.

B-

#1255924 - 08/15/07 03:38 PM Re: 2006 + Gauge Cluster [Re: BigNSlow]
kellydood Offline
Climber

Loc: nunayerdambusiness
 Originally Posted By: 2 Blue Merks
 Originally Posted By: kellydood
LMAO way to clear that up for him.

I didn't see you jump in to help.

I gave him the shortest possible answer. The 06' is CAN serial bus. The entire wiring harness is totally different including connectors. Some of the wires are the same, some are totally different and some aren't even present. If you are good at electronics, by all means jump in and try to make it work. Make sure to post the DYI notes as I am sure a lot of members would love to see it. A Marauder cluster swap would be a lot easier to do.

Originally Posted By: 91LTDCV
Anyone made this mod / upgrade and if so what is involved?

Actually, I didn't post anything because I didn't meet the above criteria, and it seemed like he pretty much already had guessed everything that you just told him ;-)

Looks like Bull has it figured out, though....thanks for the information.

Who's Online
1 registered (Bigmd), 57 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 32
speedfreak 28
Bellwestern80 27
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 21
a_d_a_m 19
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 16
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!