I am moving some writes up over from CVCA so this can be used in addition to the info above.
Below is a procedure for installation of a Mercury Marauder airbox and 80mm MAF on 1992-2007 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car models.Tools, Materials & Parts
Procedure for removal of your old airbox
- 8mm socket
- 10 mm socket
- Mercury Marauder airbox assembly and 80MM MAF - appr. $200 USD
- new MAF wiring harness - Motorcraft part # WPT-102, appr. $35 USD
1. Undo the 3 nuts that hold the airbox to the fender using the 10 mm socket.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector for the MAF sensor.
3. If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector for the IAT sensor.
4. Undo the clamp that holds the zip tube to the airbox using 8 mm socket. It may be easier to remove the airbox together with the zip tube first by disconnecting the zip tube at the throttle body. You can then detach the zip tube from the airbox ones you have it out of the vehicle.
5. Remove the airbox from the vehicle if you haven't already done so.Procedure for installing the new airbox
If you have a 2004 PI or 2005 and newer model, you can ignore steps 1-2 and can proceed to step 3.
1. As you may have noticed, the Marauder airbox does not have a spot to mount the IAT sensor. This is because the IAT is actually built into the MAF unit on the Marauder. Because of this, you have two choices. Either drill a hole in the new airbox for the sensor or get your hands on the updated wiring harness and use IAT sensor built into the MAF unit. Below are 3 different style connectors used by Ford for the MAF sensors. The one on top middle is the new style connector which is used on the Marauders. Your original connector will be either the one in the middle or the one on the bottom depending on your car year. It doesn't really matter which one you have as they have the same connections, the only difference is the arrangement of wires.
used on MarauderMiddle Connector
used on 1992-2002 models. On 2003 and 2004 civilian model outer pins are used for IAT.Bottom Connector
used on 2004 CVPI and all 2005-2012 models
2. Cut off and discard your existing MAF connector as well as your IAT connector. As you can see, the new connector has 2 extra wires which are used for the IAT sensor. Now, if you are cheap skate like me and you are using a Taurus wiring harness, all you have to do is join the same color wires together and you are all set. If however, you bought your new harness from the dealer, you will need to do some additional work because the wires on the new connector are all one color (white). In that case, just use the above tables for reference. I prefer to solder the wires together and wrap them with some heat shrink tubing afterward but you can use other methods to connect the new wiring harness.
3. You can now install your new airbox on the car. Depending on the year of your car, there maybe some fitment issues. That is the airbox will sit a couple of inches higher than it should from the mounting locations. In this case, you can use some long bolts and a few washers from a hardware store to secure it to the fender.
4. Plug the MAF electrical connector into the MAF sensor.
5. Reattach the zip tube to the airbox and tighten the c-clamp.Notes
If you are working on an older car especially from the North where they use a lot of salt on the roads, it is a good idea to pre-soak the 3 nuts that hold the airbox in place with WD-40 or kerosene at least 24 hours prior to actually doing the work. This will hopefully take care of the rust accumulated in those areas.
In order to use a Marauder airbox and 80mm MAF, you will have to get a custom programmed chip or a tune.
To save some money, you can find the new style connector on 2000 Ford Taurus at a junkyard.