Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1397017 - 02/14/08 12:20 PM The Marauder Cluster Swap...
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
Buddy at the dealer was unable to swap the marauder cluster into my car. (Something to do with lacking volt and oil gauge outputs, which I can see is not true, and something about PATS being in the cluster which has some validity to it, I'm not savy on the cluster so I don't know if what he said holds water or not.)

So I bit the bullet and am doing the swap myself, however I need those of you on here (P71_CrownVic I mean you and anyone else that did the swap...K9 I mean you too...) To tell me what you had to change and how you changed it.

And as a service to those of you thinking about said swap, here's some progress pics...

Rear of Marauder Cluster

Some sort of chip from the cluster, I have no idea what it does or if its important or not (I also sneezed when taking that pic, no spit hit the chip)

Where the chip goes in relation to the console

The cluster stripped down of all protective stuff.

The set up behind each gauge pod (fuel and temp)

Tach

Speedo removed. This is where I need help, I need that electronic piece off of the speedo face, once thats off then the rest of this should be a cake walk.

Anyone know how that part of the odometer can be removed let me know...

Also I'll need to know how I remove my existing cluster from my dashboard :look:

I'll do what I can today, and finish on the weekend.

Links
#1397061 - 02/14/08 01:33 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Blue95 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Past the Horizon
Derek gave me great help when I needed to replace the odometer gear on my 95 PI.

Following his instructions, I used a fork to carefully pry up the speedo needle off of the shaft. I put a very thin piece of metal under the fork to avoid marking the speedo face. The needle will pop off. Then the circuit board can be removed from the face panel by removing the attachment screws.

You also need to be careful when re-installing the needle in order to get it calibrated right. Ignition has to be on so that you can carefully push the needle back on where it is just barely above the stop tab. You will see that with ignition off, the needle will rest on the tab, with ignition off, the needle jumps up a bit off of the tab as the circuit is energized.

Best way is to install and then drive using a scantool that will read out the mph as you drive along. You can then compare the needle position to the scantool read-out. I just set mine by the first method and it seems to be fine.

The odometer motor and gearset can be removed by prying them out of the housing. The motor needs to twist a bit as it's removed if I remember right. The gearset end shafts are held in place by tabs.

1995 P71-SOLD
2002 HPP-SOLD
badgeless grille-tinted tails-Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12" sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-ceramic pads-urethane swaybar bushings-new timing chains/guides/tensioners-Granatelli plenum-75mmTB-MZT-NGKTR6 plugs-180d thermo-Steeda UD's-BOC 93tune-Thrush mufflers-LED interior/door puddle lights-Projector HID retrofit-MM corners-LED signal mirrors-17x8 TorqThrust wheels-235/55/17 Contental ExtremeContact DWS tires
2003 LX Sport-SOLD Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12"sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-urethane swaybar bushings-Thrush mufflers-ceramic pads-Steeda UDs-LED interior/trunk/door lights-rebuilt 3.27 axle
Current = 2011 Silverado, time for a change

#1397080 - 02/14/08 01:58 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BigNSlow]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
Someone should do a write up on this subject as it seems to be getting more popular.

Considering I'm taking pics and asking questions as I go this, it should be a tremendous help to those who are interested.

Also, I'm also the first to do this on a Civi Vic, so swapping that odometer computer is a must, otherwise the car won't start and you'd have to get new keys for the car. Courtesy of the PATS system Ford has \:\)

#1397083 - 02/14/08 01:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BigNSlow]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Vin, there is info on cluster removal in the BOK forum (92+ cluster bulb replacement)

Like Nick said, getting the speedo head apart is easy. Once the needle is removed unscrew the bolts and it slides right apart. The odo wheel assembly pops right out with a small screwdriver prying on the metal shaft.

That small module is the anti-slosh module. It is used inline of the fuel level sender to gauge circuit to prevent erroneous readings from fuel sloshing around. It also triggers the low fuel lamp on equipped models.
The anti-slosh module is used on MANY Ford vehicles and most are swappable. I'm using an anti-slosh from a '02 CV/GMQ cluster in my '95 Mustang cluster.

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1397085 - 02/14/08 02:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Guess I should put that back then...

I do plan on using the Marauder cluster in its entirety in the car, I just need to get that odometer thing taken care of, which I will do at 2:30.

Now, how do I pull my existing cluster out of the car?

#1397086 - 02/14/08 02:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Ezbok58a
Buddy at the dealer was unable to swap the marauder cluster into my car. (Something to do with lacking volt and oil gauge outputs, which I can see is not true, and something about PATS being in the cluster which has some validity to it, I'm not savy on the cluster so I don't know if what he said holds water or not.)

There are no volt gauge or oil pressure gauge inputs to the MM cluster, that's probably what he meant.

There is no PATS function in the -05 clusters with exception to Town Cars (98+)

#1397087 - 02/14/08 02:06 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Ezbok58a

Now, how do I pull my existing cluster out of the car?

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1206416#Post1206416

BTW - reading over your posts it sounds like you want to try and swap the entire speedo head module from the stock cluster and use the MM face. DON'T do that or it won't read correctly, as the retail unit is for 120mph upper limit.
All you need to do is pop out and swap the wheel assembly. Don't mess with the circuit board or motor, they are geared the same.

Shot showing the metal shaft on the odo wheel where to pry out:

#1397101 - 02/14/08 02:14 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Sweet, thank you drock!

You vast panther knowledge is a truely a gift.

I don't know why he said the cluster had PATs in it then...

Maybe he didn't want to have me get charged a arm and a leg for having the car sit in the shop for hours while he figured out how to get it to work...

Edited by Ezbok58a (02/14/08 02:16 PM)

#1397109 - 02/14/08 02:22 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Uncle_Jesse Offline
Climber

Loc: Mifflinburg PA
wow those gauges are neat!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.

#1397123 - 02/14/08 02:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
89LTDBoy Offline
Over the Hill

PATS is Passive AntiTheft System and the instrument cluster shouldn't have anything to do with it, the only thing that could possibly be related is on some, there is a little flashing "THEFT" light, but that's all I'm aware of. The only parts PATS needs is the PATS module and the PCM. You'll still want to swap the odometers though so you have your correct mileage.

And if the oil pressure gauge is like the one in the Explorers, it's an idiot gauge, and isn't worth bothering with anyway.

#1397138 - 02/14/08 02:38 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Uncle_Jesse]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Ok, the Marauder cluster 'brain' is in my hands (away from the speedo face)

How exactly do I get the odometer part of this out of the rest of the assembly? Do I grab a set of plyers and pull the metal rod holding the odometer in place out and swap in the one from my car? Or is there a different way?

#1397269 - 02/14/08 04:46 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Alright, dashboard is in dissaray, cluster is out, mileage is correct.

Prepped for needle removal

Removal of odo gear

Weee!

Try and stop me goverment! \:D I think I hear knocking...

To the car

I call shennanigans on this dashboard now...

Cluster removed

Marauder above, Sport below

Sport

Marauder

Sport (left side)

Marauder (left side)

Sport (right side)

Marauder (right side)

Now what?

I have no idea what the next step is. I hope it doesn't involve me going back to the car and working with whats left of the dashboard...

drock? P71_CrownVic? K-9Vic?

#1397275 - 02/14/08 05:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Jony Offline

wow this is going to be a good write up. off topic for one minute. why dont he just get the speedo motor to read 140 mph. seeing as i hard its in the cluster for those wanting to swap out for the mustang gt cluster. why cant you just use the MM speedo stuff and just swap it out.???

and if i have a p71 that reads 140. then i could do a direct swap seeing as speedo reads the same?

#1397306 - 02/14/08 05:28 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Jony]
vicfan_00 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Quad Cities,IL
I just did this swap 2 days ago on my car... Now you need to get back in the car with whats left of the dash and re-pin the connnectors cause some of the wires go to different places for the marauder, you will need a very small flat head screwdriver to get the wires out of the connectors and move them around.

I dont have my diagrams handy with me, but I know Derek has them on his supermotors page, basically all you have to do is look at what color goes where and If it indicaters that the marauder uses a certain color, you just move the wire to that location.

on my car it was a little harder cause its a 00. but 03 and newers are fairly simple to re wire.

You will also need a tach adapter and wire to add into the speedo cluster connector, I clipped a wire from one at the junkyard and just used that for the tach output

Jony- Yours will be a direct swap with just a re-wire and the addition of a tach adapter. It took me less than 2 hours to finish and thats including the small problem I had.... I got confused on 1 wire.
J-Mod,MMX Driveshaft,3.55 with T-lok,Full Magnaflow Exhaust,Marauder Cluster,
Console with floor shift. 14.9 with no tune.SOLD 11/14
Living vicariously through brothers 93 and 03

Currently in the garage- 2011 edge, 62 t-bird.

#1397327 - 02/14/08 05:49 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: vicfan_00]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

What the hell are you doing to the dashboard? lol

Something is going to get broken or scratched like that.

Disconnect the trac (if equipped), rear defrost, and adjustable pedal (if equipped) switches from those trims and lay them down on the passenger seat, the longer one will go on the floor and just lean against the seat.

Disconnect that headlamp switch. Pull the radio out of the dash trim. It's heavy enough that if the trim falls it could twist it enough to break, so pull it out and put it on the passenger side floor mat.
Pull the dash bezel off, leave the headlamp switch in, and lay it down in the back seat.

NOW move on to re-pinning the connectors.

Here are the factory pinouts:

K9vic made a pin swap chart which will make this go a lot easier:
http://s95316603.onlinehome.us/cvpi/Speedo/Speedo-All.pdf

I use a small screwdriver to unhook the retaining clips on the connectors and an awl to unhook the terminals. Keep the awl press against the plastic clip for each terminal as you slide it out

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >

Who's Online
4 registered (derekghs, lmrogp, Becker34, 1 invisible), 61 Guests and 110 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 48
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!