Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1397017 - 02/14/08 12:20 PM The Marauder Cluster Swap...
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
Buddy at the dealer was unable to swap the marauder cluster into my car. (Something to do with lacking volt and oil gauge outputs, which I can see is not true, and something about PATS being in the cluster which has some validity to it, I'm not savy on the cluster so I don't know if what he said holds water or not.)

So I bit the bullet and am doing the swap myself, however I need those of you on here (P71_CrownVic I mean you and anyone else that did the swap...K9 I mean you too...) To tell me what you had to change and how you changed it.

And as a service to those of you thinking about said swap, here's some progress pics...

Rear of Marauder Cluster

Some sort of chip from the cluster, I have no idea what it does or if its important or not (I also sneezed when taking that pic, no spit hit the chip)

Where the chip goes in relation to the console

The cluster stripped down of all protective stuff.

The set up behind each gauge pod (fuel and temp)

Tach

Speedo removed. This is where I need help, I need that electronic piece off of the speedo face, once thats off then the rest of this should be a cake walk.

Anyone know how that part of the odometer can be removed let me know...

Also I'll need to know how I remove my existing cluster from my dashboard :look:

I'll do what I can today, and finish on the weekend.

Links
#1397061 - 02/14/08 01:33 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Blue95 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Past the Horizon
Derek gave me great help when I needed to replace the odometer gear on my 95 PI.

Following his instructions, I used a fork to carefully pry up the speedo needle off of the shaft. I put a very thin piece of metal under the fork to avoid marking the speedo face. The needle will pop off. Then the circuit board can be removed from the face panel by removing the attachment screws.

You also need to be careful when re-installing the needle in order to get it calibrated right. Ignition has to be on so that you can carefully push the needle back on where it is just barely above the stop tab. You will see that with ignition off, the needle will rest on the tab, with ignition off, the needle jumps up a bit off of the tab as the circuit is energized.

Best way is to install and then drive using a scantool that will read out the mph as you drive along. You can then compare the needle position to the scantool read-out. I just set mine by the first method and it seems to be fine.

The odometer motor and gearset can be removed by prying them out of the housing. The motor needs to twist a bit as it's removed if I remember right. The gearset end shafts are held in place by tabs.

1995 P71-SOLD
2002 HPP-SOLD
badgeless grille-tinted tails-Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12" sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-ceramic pads-urethane swaybar bushings-new timing chains/guides/tensioners-Granatelli plenum-75mmTB-MZT-NGKTR6 plugs-180d thermo-Steeda UD's-BOC 93tune-Thrush mufflers-LED interior/door puddle lights-Projector HID retrofit-MM corners-LED signal mirrors-17x8 TorqThrust wheels-235/55/17 Contental ExtremeContact DWS tires
2003 LX Sport-SOLD Hrbacek whiteface gauges-Pioneer spkrs-12"sub-reworked tranny internals-Sonnax/jmod upgrades-urethane swaybar bushings-Thrush mufflers-ceramic pads-Steeda UDs-LED interior/trunk/door lights-rebuilt 3.27 axle
Current = 2011 Silverado, time for a change

#1397080 - 02/14/08 01:58 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BigNSlow]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
Someone should do a write up on this subject as it seems to be getting more popular.

Considering I'm taking pics and asking questions as I go this, it should be a tremendous help to those who are interested.

Also, I'm also the first to do this on a Civi Vic, so swapping that odometer computer is a must, otherwise the car won't start and you'd have to get new keys for the car. Courtesy of the PATS system Ford has \:\)

#1397083 - 02/14/08 01:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BigNSlow]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
Vin, there is info on cluster removal in the BOK forum (92+ cluster bulb replacement)

Like Nick said, getting the speedo head apart is easy. Once the needle is removed unscrew the bolts and it slides right apart. The odo wheel assembly pops right out with a small screwdriver prying on the metal shaft.

That small module is the anti-slosh module. It is used inline of the fuel level sender to gauge circuit to prevent erroneous readings from fuel sloshing around. It also triggers the low fuel lamp on equipped models.
The anti-slosh module is used on MANY Ford vehicles and most are swappable. I'm using an anti-slosh from a '02 CV/GMQ cluster in my '95 Mustang cluster.

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1397085 - 02/14/08 02:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Guess I should put that back then...

I do plan on using the Marauder cluster in its entirety in the car, I just need to get that odometer thing taken care of, which I will do at 2:30.

Now, how do I pull my existing cluster out of the car?

#1397086 - 02/14/08 02:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Ezbok58a
Buddy at the dealer was unable to swap the marauder cluster into my car. (Something to do with lacking volt and oil gauge outputs, which I can see is not true, and something about PATS being in the cluster which has some validity to it, I'm not savy on the cluster so I don't know if what he said holds water or not.)

There are no volt gauge or oil pressure gauge inputs to the MM cluster, that's probably what he meant.

There is no PATS function in the -05 clusters with exception to Town Cars (98+)

#1397087 - 02/14/08 02:06 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Now, how do I pull my existing cluster out of the car?

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1206416#Post1206416

BTW - reading over your posts it sounds like you want to try and swap the entire speedo head module from the stock cluster and use the MM face. DON'T do that or it won't read correctly, as the retail unit is for 120mph upper limit.
All you need to do is pop out and swap the wheel assembly. Don't mess with the circuit board or motor, they are geared the same.

Shot showing the metal shaft on the odo wheel where to pry out:

#1397101 - 02/14/08 02:14 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Sweet, thank you drock!

You vast panther knowledge is a truely a gift.

I don't know why he said the cluster had PATs in it then...

Maybe he didn't want to have me get charged a arm and a leg for having the car sit in the shop for hours while he figured out how to get it to work...

Edited by Ezbok58a (02/14/08 02:16 PM)

#1397109 - 02/14/08 02:22 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Uncle_Jesse Offline
Climber

Loc: Mifflinburg PA
wow those gauges are neat!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.

#1397123 - 02/14/08 02:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
89LTDBoy Offline
Over the Hill

PATS is Passive AntiTheft System and the instrument cluster shouldn't have anything to do with it, the only thing that could possibly be related is on some, there is a little flashing "THEFT" light, but that's all I'm aware of. The only parts PATS needs is the PATS module and the PCM. You'll still want to swap the odometers though so you have your correct mileage.

And if the oil pressure gauge is like the one in the Explorers, it's an idiot gauge, and isn't worth bothering with anyway.

#1397138 - 02/14/08 02:38 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Uncle_Jesse]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Ok, the Marauder cluster 'brain' is in my hands (away from the speedo face)

How exactly do I get the odometer part of this out of the rest of the assembly? Do I grab a set of plyers and pull the metal rod holding the odometer in place out and swap in the one from my car? Or is there a different way?

#1397269 - 02/14/08 04:46 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Alright, dashboard is in dissaray, cluster is out, mileage is correct.

Prepped for needle removal

Removal of odo gear

Weee!

Try and stop me goverment! \:D I think I hear knocking...

To the car

I call shennanigans on this dashboard now...

Cluster removed

Marauder above, Sport below

Sport

Marauder

Sport (left side)

Marauder (left side)

Sport (right side)

Marauder (right side)

Now what?

I have no idea what the next step is. I hope it doesn't involve me going back to the car and working with whats left of the dashboard...

drock? P71_CrownVic? K-9Vic?

#1397275 - 02/14/08 05:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Jony Offline

wow this is going to be a good write up. off topic for one minute. why dont he just get the speedo motor to read 140 mph. seeing as i hard its in the cluster for those wanting to swap out for the mustang gt cluster. why cant you just use the MM speedo stuff and just swap it out.???

and if i have a p71 that reads 140. then i could do a direct swap seeing as speedo reads the same?

#1397306 - 02/14/08 05:28 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Jony]
vicfan_00 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Quad Cities,IL
I just did this swap 2 days ago on my car... Now you need to get back in the car with whats left of the dash and re-pin the connnectors cause some of the wires go to different places for the marauder, you will need a very small flat head screwdriver to get the wires out of the connectors and move them around.

I dont have my diagrams handy with me, but I know Derek has them on his supermotors page, basically all you have to do is look at what color goes where and If it indicaters that the marauder uses a certain color, you just move the wire to that location.

on my car it was a little harder cause its a 00. but 03 and newers are fairly simple to re wire.

You will also need a tach adapter and wire to add into the speedo cluster connector, I clipped a wire from one at the junkyard and just used that for the tach output

Jony- Yours will be a direct swap with just a re-wire and the addition of a tach adapter. It took me less than 2 hours to finish and thats including the small problem I had.... I got confused on 1 wire.
J-Mod,MMX Driveshaft,3.55 with T-lok,Full Magnaflow Exhaust,Marauder Cluster,
Console with floor shift. 14.9 with no tune.SOLD 11/14
Living vicariously through brothers 93 and 03

Currently in the garage- 2011 edge, 62 t-bird.

#1397327 - 02/14/08 05:49 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: vicfan_00]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

What the hell are you doing to the dashboard? lol

Something is going to get broken or scratched like that.

Disconnect the trac (if equipped), rear defrost, and adjustable pedal (if equipped) switches from those trims and lay them down on the passenger seat, the longer one will go on the floor and just lean against the seat.

Disconnect that headlamp switch. Pull the radio out of the dash trim. It's heavy enough that if the trim falls it could twist it enough to break, so pull it out and put it on the passenger side floor mat.
Pull the dash bezel off, leave the headlamp switch in, and lay it down in the back seat.

NOW move on to re-pinning the connectors.

Here are the factory pinouts:

K9vic made a pin swap chart which will make this go a lot easier:
http://s95316603.onlinehome.us/cvpi/Speedo/Speedo-All.pdf

I use a small screwdriver to unhook the retaining clips on the connectors and an awl to unhook the terminals. Keep the awl press against the plastic clip for each terminal as you slide it out

#1397329 - 02/14/08 05:53 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BigNSlow]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
Will Aeros need a tach adapter or can we just use a PCM feed?

-95 use EDIS module pin

96-97 PCM pin

https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/tach.htm

No tach adapter needed for us ;\)

#1397342 - 02/14/08 06:00 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: vicfan_00]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quickly as I do not have allot of time right now.

1. I did not take either cluster apart to do this swap. I may later fix the mileage.
2. You have to swap most of all the pins around in the dash and extend a few over to the other plug. Extend the wire by splicing in new wire and solder ends with heat shrink or electrical tape.
3. The chip that you unpluged is the fuel sensor chip and the part number was the same on my cluster as the Marauder. It does not need to be swapped.
4. Everything what vicfan_00 said.

See my web page cvpi.net for documents I made from the tech diagrams, but they may not be 100% accurate and should be used only as a reference.

EDIT: dRock96Marquis posted a direct link, there are a few other diagrams there also. Feel free to pass these around as the reason why I made them.

http://s95316603.onlinehome.us/cvpi/cvpi-Mspeedo.html

Edited by K-9Vic (02/14/08 06:04 PM)
1986 M1031 - CUCV Military Vehicle, also a 2003 Honda ST1100P (serial #000001)

#1397361 - 02/14/08 06:15 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

It took me 2 hours to finally figure out what the moving of pins actually meant (probably the blonde in me). Much swearing ensued...

I'm out of daylight now, and I have work tomorrow (no worries there, car was staying at home anyway. ) I'll see if I can grab extra wires and a soldering gun and I'll tackle it Saturday.

drock. I tried to undo the connectors, they're stuck in there good, so good that I can't remove them without breaking them. So unfortunately that's how its going to stay till I go back out and fiddle with it.

And the pins I have to change, oh joy...

#1397368 - 02/14/08 06:24 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Trim pieces now sitting in back seat. I forgot I had a tiny screw driver on my person.

Radio and dash bezel are back in their respective holes for now. I can reach the pins without it getting in the way.

#1397408 - 02/14/08 06:51 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

The connector repin is tricky at first, but you will quickly get the hang of it after the first one.

You can see on the back off the connector is a plastic strip that locks all the terminals. you need to hook the clips for this on the sides so it can be pushing up off the wires. It will stay attached to the connector, like a hinge.

Once that's out the terminals will still be in place. Looking down into the connector there are very small plastic tabs. You need to push these tabs up from the backside to unhook them. To do so slide an awl or dental pick on top of the wire until it presses the plastic. You will fumble with it at first but keep constant tension on the terminal you are removing so you know the second it's free.

From there you can move them all around, one at a time. The simply click back in place. The locking plastic tab on the back just clips back when you're done.

My Mustang cluster required numerous additional pins, so I picked up some connectors from the junkyard to solder in for the extra terminals. This shouldn't be an issue for your 03, just use one o f the extra pins from the oil or volt gauge for the tach signal (cut it off and solder on)
As far as extending wires, *SOME* will stretch over enough provided you unwrap some of the harness. Some won't make it though and need to be lengthened.

Darkness is not an excuse. I repined my connectors in the dark for the Mustang cluster swap Route an extension cord to the car and use a worklight so you don't drain the battery, preferably fluorescent so it stays cool.

#1397438 - 02/14/08 07:22 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: The perimeter

*SMACK*

That's the anti-slosh module... It smooths out the input from the gas tank float sensor, so the fuel gauge is not bouncing around as you hit a bump...

#1397513 - 02/14/08 08:37 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis
The connector repin is tricky at first, but you will quickly get the hang of it after the first one.

You can see on the back off the connector is a plastic strip that locks all the terminals. you need to hook the clips for this on the sides so it can be pushing up off the wires. It will stay attached to the connector, like a hinge.

Once that's out the terminals will still be in place. Looking down into the connector there are very small plastic tabs. You need to push these tabs up from the backside to unhook them. To do so slide an awl or dental pick on top of the wire until it presses the plastic. You will fumble with it at first but keep constant tension on the terminal you are removing so you know the second it's free.

From there you can move them all around, one at a time. The simply click back in place. The locking plastic tab on the back just clips back when you're done.

My Mustang cluster required numerous additional pins, so I picked up some connectors from the junkyard to solder in for the extra terminals. This shouldn't be an issue for your 03, just use one o f the extra pins from the oil or volt gauge for the tach signal (cut it off and solder on)
As far as extending wires, *SOME* will stretch over enough provided you unwrap some of the harness. Some won't make it though and need to be lengthened.

Darkness is not an excuse. I repined my connectors in the dark for the Mustang cluster swap Route an extension cord to the car and use a worklight so you don't drain the battery, preferably fluorescent so it stays cool.

Considering I have work tomorrow, and now that I find out last minute my dad has a doctors appointment tomorrow (something he didn't remember till I was searching for what pins to change/what the pins were exactly) I have to get up early and drop him off for his appointment before work. Then have to take a half hour and pick him up.

All on top of stopping to get some extra wire (wouldn't hurt to have anyway) and a soldering gun (I don't have one because electronics scare me ) and I should be ok for a full day saturday of getting this all together and working. \:\)

#1398210 - 02/15/08 04:32 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

More pics of the pin connectors...

Now I just need to figure out how to pull said connector apart.

Oh and I got some supplies today after work \:D

Didn't know which wire I needed, so I got both

I can't believe I had a wire stripper either, I am slacking

He-he, it says butt

#1399052 - 02/16/08 04:09 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

I'm currently swapping pins, but I've hit a snag. And a rather big one at that.

This is how my pinout should read.

1 yellow/white
2 black/white
3 red/yellow
4 pink/light green
5 purple
6 black
7 lightgreen/white
8 darkgreen/lightgreen
9 yellow
10 black/white
11 darkgreen/lightgreen
12 white/lightgreen
13 lightblue/pink
14 pink/orange
15 lightblue/pink
16 gray/black

How mine's actually wired is like this:

1. yellow/white
2. pink
3. red/yellow
4. pink/lightgreen
5. purple
6. Black
7. lightgreen/white
8. darkgreen/lightgreen
9. yellow
10. black/white
11. darkgreen/lightgreen
12. lightgreen/yellow
13. darkgrey/red
14. red/orange
15. blank ie. empty
16. grey/black

This wouldn't concern me too much, but the Marauder pin layout says several of the pins stay the same (and the ones that stay the same are completely different colors than those wired into the car).

Spot 15 for connector 1 had nothing. Even in the pic I took yesterday there's nothing there.

And according to the pinout for the crown victoria, spot 13 (1c-13) is listed the same as spot 15 (1c-15) and is the same wire color, light blue/pink.

The same is true for connector 2.

Spot one (2c-1) is listed as lamp indicator feed (crown vic) but on my connector, there's also nothing there.

And according to the Marauder connector the spot it goes to is the same as spot 16 (2c-16)

So I'm completely lost now.

#1399201 - 02/16/08 07:58 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Your pictures have helped me to edit my PIN swap document. Both the CV and Marauder have the same PIN ID for the black plug "Voltage supplied at all times (Overload Protect)" per the Ford diagram from dRock96Marquis. I am working on find out what you need to do with PIN 15 on the Marauder. I do believe it does need power, but doubt that it need at all times. Ignor my original document, do this.

I do believe this is what I did.
You should be OK moving CV PIN 1c-13 "Voltage supplied in Run (Overload Protect)" to Marauder 1c-15. There are a total of three PIN not used on the CV, but the Marauder only has one. So two extra PIN are needed. I only recall not using one PIN on the white plug 2c-7.

Let me look into this more, I will post an update later, but this should work for you. I will edit and update my document as well since it needs to be updated.

Edited by K-9Vic (02/16/08 09:08 PM)

#1399225 - 02/16/08 08:39 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

On the black connector pin 2 wire color - the diagram says pink/orange just like yours:

Why did you think it would be bk/w? only NGV use that. So don't worry about that.

On the black connector blank pin problem - your CV has the lb/pk wire on pin 13. The Marauder has the air suspension indicator lamp on this pin. So, just move the LB/p wire on your pin 13 to pin 15.
The service manual obviously should have put the asterisks next to pin 15 as well as it must of been lb/pk on MM only.

On the white connector blank pin -
I'm not sure why there isn't a pin there, the must have bridged the illumination input after the connector rather than two separate pins. No big deal, you will just need to splice into the o/bk wire that's on your pin 16 and run an extra pin if one is needed for the MM cluster.

#1399252 - 02/16/08 09:14 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

I agree with dRock96Marquis, seems the diagram they did not put the asterisks there.

I reworked my instructions, they should be correct now. I also said to move PIN 13 to 15 on the black plug.

On the white plug there is one PIN that needs power, use a blue coupler and tap into the wire you moved to 2c-1 that is for Voltage supplied in start and run (Overload Protect). There are also a few other new pins that are needed and wires that will need to be tapped into. One is a ground and other is Interior, Lamps, Feed. See my document for where to tap into.

My document should be correct if not very close to correct now. See dRock96Marquis diagram if needed.
http://s95316603.onlinehome.us/cvpi/Speedo/Speedo-All.pdf

#1399300 - 02/16/08 10:38 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Ok, spot 15 is now hotwired to spot 13 (ie split to both).

Most of you guys doing this swap were doing it with CVPIs, which (I'm guessing) have more pins than a regular civilian Vic (maybe to run more light accessories or something). But for now it should be good. Tomorrow I'll post the pics of what is done before I try and fire it up.

The one problem I ran into is I didn't have enough connecting pins for the wires I needed. (again if someone else who did this swap had a civi car I can see/ask how their's was. I'm essentially the guniea pig.)

I got some pin type connectors at radioshack but it doesn't really fit (it'd touch the connecting circut on the console, but its not pretty looking.)

I'll have a pic tomorrow of how I have it set up before I tighten everything down and give it a go.

This week I will make a run to the local salvage yard and grab another gauge cluster pin connector (with wiring harness) and use one of the pins there to make it work/ look better.

Tach is wired up, have to zip tie everything down. Pins are swapped, and wires are spliced/soldered. I should be good tomorrow.

#1399303 - 02/16/08 10:43 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Bah, I read this now. (I was out in the car making the wire from 15 also over to plug 2...damn).

Tomorrow I'll splice the orange/black wire in spot 16 in connector two to the spot it has to go to on connector two as well. No big...

#1399321 - 02/16/08 11:17 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Glad it's moving along well. The result will be worth it

The CVPIs have the same number of pins on the cluster, and they are interchangeable (CVPI and retail analog clusters)
The pin thing was just something weird. The service manual diagrams do have mistakes on occasion.

#1399331 - 02/16/08 11:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Either the manuals are off a bit, or my car's a oddball (possibly a Friday or Monday car. What day was June 23rd 2004?), with the pins.

A friend/buddy came by and assisted with the soldering so tomorrow will be my first hand experience soldering in about, 6 years or so...

The actual pins that I'm using (ie the radioshack ones) will need some more 'persuasion' to get them into their place.

I also need more electrical tape...

#1399440 - 02/17/08 01:36 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

I had the same number of PIN not used on mine as well, total of three. The white plug was two (1 & 4) and black was one (15).

New pins can be cut from the donor Marauder, but if you do not have that then you can use standard female pins used in strobe plugs. These work well and already have a raised lip. These can be had at any electronic store that sells plug connectors or Emergency equipment dealer.

Most people have these from a old computer, so you could get away with using a PIN from the 4 PIN XT Computer power plug. Though these generally have two tabs and smaller. They are however the same size and should work the same.

Just take a small screw driver and bend the end down to allow easy removal of the Ford plug in needed. Use a sewing needle between the clip and round base to support it in place to bend. Have the needle closer to the end of the clip. Then use the screw driver to bend the pin down like the stock Ford PIN, you do not need to go all the way down. You are just putting a curve at the end to avoid snagging the CT board if you remove the plug.

Now put the PIN into the Ford plug, make sure the tab is on the top. Push it in place and it will go far enough in that when plugged in it will contact the CT board.

This is the Strobe plug from Whelen, I made this quickly to show what it would look like.

#1399694 - 02/17/08 01:22 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Rickey Offline

Loc: La
Will the Autometer tach adapter 9117 run the tach in this swap?

#1399742 - 02/17/08 02:26 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Rickey]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Ok, I'm now at crisis point. I plugged the cluster back into the car, made sure everything was set and started the car.

Nothing went as I expected it.

The Tach remained lifeless, the speedo jumped to about 20mph and my abs and parking brake light came on and stayed on (probably the two connectors weren't touching...).

The speedo and the lights are easy to fix, the Tach is going to be more difficult.

I need to know what to do guys I'm running out of patience with this (I've already lost 3 days worth of sleep to it as well) If someone, anyone has a idea on how to fix the tach, I'm all ears...

#1399759 - 02/17/08 03:04 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
AtwMerc6491 Offline

I dont know man but thats gonna look sick so stick with it...it will be worth it.

#1399769 - 02/17/08 03:17 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Rickey]
Rickey Offline

Loc: La
Well the pics answered my question.

#1399779 - 02/17/08 03:25 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: AtwMerc6491]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Did you tap into the CID for the tach input?

I sent you a PM with more help.

#1399812 - 02/17/08 04:26 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Jony Offline

on the 99-04 gt mustanga for thetach adaptor to work right. you have to cut the main feed wire to all the coils. from the main engine connector harness that on the mustang is at the passengerside firewall.

and it calls for the biggest red wire to be cut and you soilder one of the wires to one end and anotyher to the other. so it goes threw the adaptor then to the coils. then the signal wires and etc run out to thetach connection etc.

but im guessing this is completly differant on thevics.

#1399834 - 02/17/08 05:16 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Rickey]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Will the Autometer tach adapter 9117 run the tach in this swap?

Yes.

#1399843 - 02/17/08 05:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Ok, I'm now at crisis point. I plugged the cluster back into the car, made sure everything was set and started the car.

Nothing went as I expected it.

The Tach remained lifeless, the speedo jumped to about 20mph and my abs and parking brake light came on and stayed on (probably the two connectors weren't touching...).

The speedo and the lights are easy to fix, the Tach is going to be more difficult.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/Ezbok58a/Marauder%20Gauge%20swap/IMG_0275.jpg[/IMG]
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/Ezbok58a/Marauder%20Gauge%20swap/IMG_0276.jpg[/IMG]
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/Ezbok58a/Marauder%20Gauge%20swap/IMG_0281.jpg[/IMG]
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/Ezbok58a/Marauder%20Gauge%20swap/IMG_0282.jpg[/IMG]

I need to know what to do guys I'm running out of patience with this (I've already lost 3 days worth of sleep to it as well) If someone, anyone has a idea on how to fix the tach, I'm all ears...

Vin, the speedo goes to 20 - does it move further up as you increase speed?

If so, you just don't have the needle calibrated right. Take the lens off, leave the cluster connected and installed, pull the needle off and put the car in RUN - then put the needle right around the stop (pull the stop out to make it easier)
They are each a little different as to where exactly you need to speedo at 0, I've found with most Fords its right at, or just barely above the stop.
Remember, the speedo MUST BE POWERED with ignition in run when you put the needle on or it won't be right.
Don't be surprised if you need to do it two, maybe even three times. The gauge's shaft has a tendency to spin as you push the needle down throwing it off, so don't put it all back together without checking.

About the tach - leave the cluster in and connected. Pull the bezel and lens off and remove the tachometer from the cluster shell. With the car in run check for voltage on B+ pin and the two grounds. If they are fine, you have no tach signal - tach adapter must be wired in wrong or bad connection on cluster connector (very probable if using those radio shack connectors). Read over the 03-05 AND the 98-02 sections in my tach faq https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/tach.htm

For the brake and ABS lights - these lights have a constant hot w/ ignition feed and ground is switched to turn them on.
If they are staying on, each one has a short to ground.
CHeck your pins and make sure none are mixed up.
Make sure you didn't leave the parking brake on

When you turn the car from off to run, do all the other lamps work briefly?

#1399845 - 02/17/08 05:37 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Update.

Everything works....with the exception of the Tach. (do'h!)

Apparently I tapped into the wrong wire to provide the volts needed to get the tach going. For tonight I'm calling it quits.

I'll take the car to work tomorrow where my buddies bringing a volt meter and after work I'll pull it inside and start testing for the right wire. Then I'll cut/solder it so it's all peachy. :nod:

#1399863 - 02/17/08 06:02 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

I forgot that you pulled the needle on the speedo to swap the mileage, so that would explain why it is showing about 20mph.

What did you do to fix the ABS and Park lights?

#1399870 - 02/17/08 06:11 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

When you updated your wiring pinout for the Marauder, I realized I was splicing the wrong wire to spot 2c-10. Easy fix \:\)

The speedo jumping to 20mph was also a easy fix, pulled the protective covering off, turned ignition on and when the needle jumped, I pulled it off the speedo and reset it on the needle stopper.

(I did try pushing it down, but it kept coming back up).

#1399872 - 02/17/08 06:13 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
jtbw Offline

Loc: NC
i used livelink to monitor the VSS signal, then put the speedo needle back on so it was correct.

PM me if you would like a 98-02 pinout chart for this swap.

2000 P71 --SOLD 3/2010-- I miss it every day..
89k on motor - PI intake - LED CHMSL - headlight relay - Marauder corners
Still For Sale: Marauder Airbox/MAF, PI zip tube

#1399889 - 02/17/08 06:39 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Glad it worked, your pictures and posts helped to fine tune it as I did not take good notes while I was installing mine. Now all you need to do is get the tach working.

#1399900 - 02/17/08 06:52 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Tach should be working tomorrow after work. Thank God I'll be inside and not freezing my ass off while doing it...

#1399946 - 02/17/08 08:19 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
518LE Offline

Climber

Loc: Northern Illinois
I look forward to seeing it working.

-Factory Trunk Organizer-Dual Exhaust w/Flowmaster Series 40-Smoked Corners/
Headlights-Marauder spoiler -Body color grille-20% Tint all around-Pioneer DVD/NAVI-

#1400091 - 02/17/08 11:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: 518LE]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

So do I...

#1400106 - 02/18/08 12:07 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
vicfan_00 Offline
Over the Hill

I had the same problem when I installed my tach adapter on friday, there were 2 red and green wires coming off the same side the EEC diode on the relay center in my car, and i picked the wrong one,so when i started the car I had no tach, but it was a simple fix just switching wires and soldering all of my connections. and now i have a tach.

#1400133 - 02/18/08 12:41 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: vicfan_00]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

So is the classic Uni-Tech made by bigcars4ever the only one that taps into the CID sensor wire for the tach input?

Uni-Tech install instructions
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=3252

http://www.diagnostic-assistance.co.uk/cid.htm

#1400820 - 02/18/08 09:10 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

*Drock and K-9, you have this as a PM as well \:D *

Ok, I tapped the Tach into one of the wires going into the fuel injectors (one that's giving out the volts I need) and the tach came to life...

Although not the life I expected.

It moved, but it stayed under 1k. On the drive home it acts like it wants to follow the revs but it doesn't actually follow them (again it moves in sync with the revs but stays under 1k).

I'm thinking it's the ground, however I have no idea how to make a good ground. :dunno:

The current ground is on the drivers side fender with two other grounds, however the bolt holding them down has green paint on it. Don't know if that's what's doing it or not.

If you guys can provide me with a surefire ground (Someone before mentioned running the wire over to the negative battery terminal) then I'm in business and I don't have to bring it to the guy who was supposed to do this for me to have him fix the tach.

#1400846 - 02/18/08 09:27 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

You shouldn't be doing anything with the fuel injector wiring. You need to wire the autometer tach adapter INLINE of the stock COP power feed (again, see the 98-02 and 03-05 section in my tach faq!)

That ground is fine. All the green paint means is that it's a ground. Just put your ring terminal under the other ones.

The tach moving to the rpms but staying below 1000k sounds JUST like a wrong cylinder setting. My VDO tach responds the same way when not set to 8 cylinder. So, since the MM tach uses an 8cyl input wherever you are souring that tach signal probably is probably no good.

Please explain in detail how you have it wired.

#1400872 - 02/18/08 09:44 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Ok, the tach has a Red wire and a Red w. Green stripe wire.

The Red wire loops under the intake tube and follows the harness up to the first fuel injector on the drivers side.

One guy at work checked with his schematics and said all I had to do was look for the consistent wire from all of the injectors which was a Red w. Green stripe wire. The Red wire is connected to that wire leading away from the fuel injector, and the R/G wire is leading towards the fuel injector.

I was doing this off the assumption that all it needed was volts for it to work... (4 days of working on this and lack of sleep result with me making a mistake I didn't even realize I was making...)

Oh to hell with it. Tomorrow at work I'll make the appointment with my guy at the dealership and have him do it the correct way.

While I trust your answer Drock, I don't trust myself to do the job right. Something this simple as hooking a tach up shouldn't have a end result of me cutting random wires under the hood. As it is it's not very pleasant to look at.

On my end, I'm throwing in the towel. If I end up under the hood of my car again with wire cutters I'm gonna end up cutting my own brake line thinking that 'that' wire would give me the juice I need.

#1400875 - 02/18/08 09:47 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: K-9Vic
So is the classic Uni-Tech made by bigcars4ever the only one that taps into the CID sensor wire for the tach input?

Uni-Tech install instructions
https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=3252

http://www.diagnostic-assistance.co.uk/cid.htm

AFAIK, yes, the Uni-tech was the only one that tapped the CMP (camshaft position sensor) wiring.
The FRPP unit taps the CKP (crankshaft position sensor) wiring.
The autometer 9117 goes inline of the ignition power feed.

#1400889 - 02/18/08 09:54 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Thanks Derek, I had no idea that the Autometer was not working off the CID/CMP when I posted before. Too bad sales dropped when Ford came out with their own version, the Uni-Tech is a great product and as shown here, super easy to install.

Sorry I could not help with the Autometer tach driver, but looks like Derek has it covered.

#1400901 - 02/18/08 09:57 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

The Red wire loops under the intake tube and follows the harness up to the first fuel injector on the drivers side.

One guy at work checked with his schematics and said all I had to do was look for the consistent wire from all of the injectors which was a Red w. Green stripe wire. The Red wire is connected to that wire leading away from the fuel injector, and the R/G wire is leading towards the fuel injector.

I was doing this off the assumption that all it needed was volts for it to work... (4 days of working on this and lack of sleep result with me making a mistake I didn't even realize I was making...)

Oh to hell with it. Tomorrow at work I'll make the appointment with my guy at the dealership and have him do it the correct way.

While I trust your answer Drock, I don't trust myself to do the job right. Something this simple as hooking a tach up shouldn't have a end result of me cutting random wires under the hood. As it is it's not very pleasant to look at.

On my end, I'm throwing in the towel. If I end up under the hood of my car again with wire cutters I'm gonna end up cutting my own brake line thinking that 'that' wire would give me the juice I need.

You can do it Vin, do give up yet lol.

First off, again, you don't want to touch the injectors. The wiring to the COILS is what you're after.

You cannot tap at a single coil, or you will get 1/8 the actual rpm. You need this thing inline of the power feed to ALL the coils. That's that red/lg wire. It can probably be wired in another way but why mess with what works?

Since you have the wiring at #8 cylinder already, you can easily correct this. The main splice where that R/LG wire is split for all the COPs is right near that fuel injector.
So, go back further to those big, main connectors. Look for the red/lg wire, there is a pinout on my tach page to help you find it.
Once you find it, you need to cut it, the feed side goes into the tach adapter and the out from the tach adapter goes to the other end leading to the engine/COPs.

once you do that, it should be a-ok

#1400905 - 02/18/08 09:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

BTW, if you think this is at all confusing you would have loved to do the EATC conversion.
LOL

#1400908 - 02/18/08 09:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

He may have it covered, but as far as I'm concerned I failed completely at installing the Tach correctly.

I have 2 strikes against me, and I don't want to try for a third.

Works slow all week, so I can afford to be a couple hours late Wed.

I'll have the guy who was supposed to install these gauges rewire the tach correctly and whatever else I screwed up under the hood.

Then when he fixes it, All the wires get a covering of electrical tape, just so it'd sorta look factory under the hood again.

#1401060 - 02/19/08 12:25 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Jony Offline

like i said further back with the msd ya have to use the main IGNITION/COIL PACK FEED WIRE. that was somewerre on page 2 if i recall.

i have diagrams and stuff for a mustang 99-04 but its not the same wireing on the vics but hooks up thesame way. took me only a little bit to actually wire it up.

#1401088 - 02/19/08 01:01 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

You can do it Vin, do give up yet lol.

First off, again, you don't want to touch the injectors. The wiring to the COILS is what you're after.

You cannot tap at a single coil, or you will get 1/8 the actual rpm. You need this thing inline of the power feed to ALL the coils. That's that red/lg wire. It can probably be wired in another way but why mess with what works?

Since you have the wiring at #8 cylinder already, you can easily correct this. The main splice where that R/LG wire is split for all the COPs is right near that fuel injector.
So, go back further to those big, main connectors. Look for the red/lg wire, there is a pinout on my tach page to help you find it.
Once you find it, you need to cut it, the feed side goes into the tach adapter and the out from the tach adapter goes to the other end leading to the engine/COPs.

once you do that, it should be a-ok

As much as I don't want to throw in the towel, I know what my mental/thinking capacity is like now.

As of right now this would make 5 days of myself working on this cluster swap.

When I don't have something done, it stays on my mind and I can't sleep. So thats 5 days without sleep, whatever thinking part of my brain is still left it can't even remember which wire goes where anymore.

And in the warm shop tonight I thought all I needed was the volts to get the tach working. Again, lack of sleep and logical thinking. If I followed what everyone else has been telling me regarding the tach I wouldn't be in this situation.

Now I'm going to lose another 2 days of sleep over this because its still 'not done'

Thankfully I've gotten past the point of problems being aggrivating enough that I want to sell the car. All I've been during the past 5 days is frustrated at my own skills.

Even though I'm going off of 3 different people (and sometimes even more than that) that have done the swap or know where to move what, I've still been learning as I went.

Pins that should be there weren't there, wire harnesses that should unclip don't unclip. Shennanigans I say!

The only constant problem through out this swap has been me. I'm not as skilled with vehicles as I thought (then again I dislike anything with wires, although I do like soldering now ) and it's been weighing in my head since I started this.

Come Wed. morning it'll be working. And if I have to deal with my mechanic [censored] at me about doing the swap and not going for a simple a-pillar pod tach then so be it. It's what I wanted, and as long as it's done and works I don't care at this point.

Although once it's all buttoned up and working I will have some pride in knowing that 95% of the swap was done by me when my mechanic said 'it couldn't be done.

And the funny thing is, as far as I'm concerned wiring the tach was the easiest part of this whole thing. I can't seem to do that, yet I repinned and rewired the dashboard connecting pins completely myself (You and K-9 did help a bunch, but there were some holes I didn't expect to run into...).

I actually feel great that I've done the absolute hardest part of this install, the tach is just a small bump in the road.

Then again, no sleep. \:\)

#1401098 - 02/19/08 01:15 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

I know work is gonna be slow tomorrow, so I'm going to show up, but not sign in. Drock I printed out what you said on the wire to the COPS, and it's coming with me tomorrow, if I can't get it working off of what you said by the end of the morning, I'll make the call to have my guy look at it.

0-2, bottom of the 9th, three men on base, 2 outs.

I'm going all in...

#1402044 - 02/19/08 11:50 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Here's exactly what I did wrong on the tach.

I found out that to get the power I need, I'd have to tap into the consistent wire that goes to the Coils. On mine it was a red wire with light green stripe.

I tapped into the wire right off of plug one. That was the problem, right wire, wrong area.

Like baravelli said, I needed the power of all 8 coils, not just one, so with my hookup I was getting 1/8th the power.

I followed the wiring harness back to the main connector (which Matt you pointed out a page or two ago when I first asked about the tach install) and found the only red wire w. light green stripe and spliced into there.

Before I soldered the wires together I bent them to complete their connection, had one guy at work watch them, and then turned the car on....

The Tach works, oh and a Crown Vic with a full exhaust is loud enough to set off ALL the Audi's alarms

In another day I'll have a full writeup ready for anyone else who wants to do the swap.

Tomorrow (depending on when I get out of work) I'll have a video collage of this project from start to finish, it'll be sweet.

Good thing I was off the clock when I did the tach too, otherwise I'd have to undo all the alarms I set off (I believe it was 15 Audis I set off )

#1402050 - 02/19/08 11:52 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
kustomizingkid Offline
Poobah

Loc: Minnesota
That looks awesome, so why didn't they do it from the factory like that?

1998 Mark VIII Collector's Edition 110,000 miles

#1402058 - 02/19/08 11:58 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: kustomizingkid]
vicfan_00 Offline
Over the Hill

Sweet! looks just like mine, only with about 50K less miles.... Glad you got it working.

#1402104 - 02/20/08 12:44 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: vicfan_00]
BK_Grand_Marquis Offline
Climber

Loc: NJ
OMG, LOL!!!

Well I hope it was worth all the pain and anguish. ;\)

At least you figured it out and you can say you did it yourself. You just need to gather all the instructions at one time. LOL.

SuperMotors Page
Central Jersey Mustangs and Fords
Best 1/4 Mile:15.195 @ 89.79 mph - 2.207 60' - 11/03/06
Project Car - 1990 Mustang LX Hatchback

#1402157 - 02/20/08 02:11 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: kustomizingkid]
jtbw Offline

Originally Posted By: kustomizingkid
That looks awesome, so why didn't they do it from the factory like that?

they did... you get one for free when you buy a marauder

#1402186 - 02/20/08 04:34 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Here's exactly what I did wrong on the tach.

I found out that to get the power I need, I'd have to tap into the consistent wire that goes to the Coils. On mine it was a red wire with light green stripe.

I tapped into the wire right off of plug one. That was the problem, right wire, wrong area.

Like baravelli said, I needed the power of all 8 coils, not just one, so with my hookup I was getting 1/8th the power.

I followed the wiring harness back to the main connector (which Matt you pointed out a page or two ago when I first asked about the tach install) and found the only red wire w. light green stripe and spliced into there.

Where did baravelli post in this thread, and with the same comment as me?

I'm not sure why you messed with all that other stuff to begin with - I linked you to my tach FAQ and posted in here several times to splice INLINE of that red/lg wire upstream of the coils. You would've saved yourself a lot of headache if you wired it like I mentioned from the start!

Glad you got it working, though.

#1402522 - 02/20/08 04:02 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Jony Offline

one last question . so im guessing if ysa wanted to stock bolts and oil pressure guages you would need to get the guage pod for the a piller and post of some guages right.

#1402679 - 02/20/08 07:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Jony]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: Jony
one last question . so im guessing if ysa wanted to stock bolts and oil pressure guages you would need to get the guage pod for the a piller and post of some guages right.

Wha?

You could get the MM gauge pod where your ashtray goes, which has a volts and a 'fake' oil pressure gauge.

#1402830 - 02/20/08 09:33 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

[Where did baravelli post in this thread, and with the same comment as me?

I'm not sure why you messed with all that other stuff to begin with - I linked you to my tach FAQ and posted in here several times to splice INLINE of that red/lg wire upstream of the coils. You would've saved yourself a lot of headache if you wired it like I mentioned from the start!

Glad you got it working, though.

Sorry, I copied what I posted on the other CV site here. Hence the guy who didn't show up being listed. (I was exhausted, what'd you expect? lol)

#1402864 - 02/20/08 10:16 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Jony Offline

Originally Posted By: Jony

Wha?

You could get the MM gauge pod where your ashtray goes, which has a volts and a 'fake' oil pressure gauge.

i typed that all [censored] up lol.

I meant, If i wanted to still have the volt and oil pressure guages like the STOCK cluster had. I would have to run the a piller gauge pod with aftermarket gauges, or do this ashtray thing ur saying then right. Seeing as the MM cluster does not have these.

I hope ya can make this one out and understand it better.

#1402872 - 02/20/08 10:20 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Jony]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

#1402891 - 02/20/08 10:45 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
Uncle_Jesse Offline
Climber

Loc: Mifflinburg PA
nice man! very nice job!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.

#1402941 - 02/20/08 11:28 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Uncle_Jesse]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Great video, thank you for making this and sharing it with us. Did you use Microsoft Movie Maker or other program? I find that it is a good video edit program to use, but not as good as Abode or something like that, but does the job well for Youtube stuff.

#1402990 - 02/21/08 12:08 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: K-9Vic]
music_warrior Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Hesperia, California
Maybe it's been asked or said already, but how much $ did this all come out to in the end? I'd love to take a crack at this mod, or at least dream about it. ;\)
--2003 P71, 162301 miles, former CHP unit #116-0760. -RIP- 11/21/2010--

--2006 P71, 136k miles, former Long Beach PD unit.-- Magnaflow mufflers--Xcal3 tune by BOC--Headlight relay upgrade by BH1976--R1 Concepts Rotors/Hawk HPS pads--ADTR Ported Plenum--Heinous Rear Control Arms--ENS Bushings front/rear

#1403005 - 02/21/08 12:34 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: music_warrior]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

I paid $100.00 for my Marauder cluster from a local junk yard, did not cost me anymore other then my time.

#1403026 - 02/21/08 01:47 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Sorry, I copied what I posted on the other CV site here. Hence the guy who didn't show up being listed. (I was exhausted, what'd you expect? lol)

Oh lol.

Cool vid too

#1403029 - 02/21/08 01:48 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: K-9Vic]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

I paid $100.00 for my Marauder cluster from a local junk yard, did not cost me anymore other then my time.

What about the tach adapter? ;\)

#1403049 - 02/21/08 03:00 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: dRock96Marquis]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

What about the tach adapter? ;\)

Does not count because I have had that since in February 2002 and this is the third CVPI it has been in. I am using the classic Uni-Tech, but if you want to know I paid about $50 plus something for shipping. I bought two of them and sold one with a digital tach to a CVN member and kept the other one. I am very glad I did as the install of the Autometer seems to be much more complicated.

I would post a link to the old thread, but last time I did that some n00b replied to a 5 year old post. So just search my ID and "uni-tech".

#1403293 - 02/21/08 12:12 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: music_warrior]
jtbw Offline

Originally Posted By: music_warrior
Maybe it's been asked or said already, but how much $ did this all come out to in the end? I'd love to take a crack at this mod, or at least dream about it. ;\)

$100 for the cluster out of a totaled 03 300a (RIP.. ) and $50 for tach adapter

#1403324 - 02/21/08 01:09 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: jtbw]
vicfan_00 Offline
Over the Hill

$150 for my cluster. $77 for the MSD tach adapter.

#1403671 - 02/21/08 07:12 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: vicfan_00]
Bobert2647 Offline
Former Vic Owner
Posting Addict

Loc: West TN
Cool stuff. Great to see you have it working and are happy with the results. \:\)

#1403749 - 02/21/08 08:39 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Bobert2647]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

125 for the cluster, 79 for the tach adapter, 25 for the supplies I didn't have (extra wire, connectors, wire cutters/strippers, and moar electrical tape. And a soldering gun and wire)

I actually have to take the dashboard apart again, the rubber seal that goes in the gap between the steering column and the dash had a washer fall off one side, so it fell. Easy fix I believe. Don't really want to pull everything out again though...

Maybe I'll fix my XM mounting spot, as my knee keeps hitting it.

I did the movie with windows movie maker. I like it better than the Adobe Premier actually (I worked with both before...)

Edited by Ezbok58a (02/21/08 08:40 PM)

#1403754 - 02/21/08 08:44 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

That rubber flap thing is held on with three star washers. They are VERY hard to take off without the plastic stud from the bezel snapping.

If you remove it and the plastic stud is broken, a dab of hot glue in the hole/onto the stud and flap works great. Silicone would work well but you have to wait for it to bond.

#1403763 - 02/21/08 08:57 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

The studs on the back are all there, the washer popped off.

I've got me some super crazy glue I'm gonna hit it with after I wedge the washer back on the stud.

#1403774 - 02/21/08 09:06 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
kustomizingkid Offline
Poobah

Loc: Minnesota
That cluster is so sweet! I think I might have to do this now, I want a tach. searched around for cluster and have a line on one for $75.

1998 Mark VIII Collector's Edition 110,000 miles

#1403800 - 02/21/08 09:39 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: kustomizingkid]
04RauderDTR Offline

Poobah

Loc: PA
Looks like an awesome swap.

25k miles on your car? Either you dont have a long commute or you dont drive far at all.

Ryan #2
2004 Mercury Mcgruber Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, Tremec T-56 Magnum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust W/ Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
2003 Mercury Marauder Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works catback, Mo's tune, JLT
1996 Ford Bronco 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors
2000 BMW M5 Evolve CAI + AlphaN Tune, Dinan strut bar + rear swaybar, Stoptech ST40BBK, UUC Shifter
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack

#1403815 - 02/21/08 09:53 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: 04RauderDTR]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

A little of both, can't drive the car when I had 3 years of college to go through. And our new Explorer needed some miles on it...so it's been sitting a bit.

This week I've been driving it to work everyday.

#1406479 - 02/25/08 01:35 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: Ezbok58a]
ChromeRust Offline

Climber

Loc: Findlay, OH
Awesome install!! But i have one question.. why is the speedo flashing red in the video?

1993 Mustang Notchback, LSx swap in progress...

As of 6/14/2011, I am back in the CVPI game.... I've missed you all!!

#1406513 - 02/25/08 02:46 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: ChromeRust]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Originally Posted By: ChromeRust
Awesome install!! But i have one question.. why is the speedo flashing red in the video?

That is the camcorder light flashing. I always disable the light so people do not know the camera is recording.

#1407223 - 02/25/08 09:20 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Yep, recording light on my Canon S5IS....

Never knew it was there till that night...

I kinda like it though...

#1407842 - 02/26/08 02:37 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: ChromeRust]
P71_CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: ChromeRust

It is the beating of the cars heart...

"I rather be hated for telling the truth, than loved for telling a lie".

#1434569 - 03/27/08 01:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... Final Stretch [Re: P71_CrownVic]
REAL4WD Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Glendale, CA
Wow, when i go to switch my gauges it should be fun too. I'm a noob wen it comes to electrical. Only thing is I have to do this all in a weekend as I only have one car available to me. I'm glad that such help is available on this website!

04 Crown Victoria LX Sport
95 AM General Hummer

#1534514 - 08/07/08 04:34 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
mrwhite Offline
Climber

this topic has some really great info in it, i plan on doing this swap soon but also installing the floor gauges from the marauder. i wanted just to clarify that in order to get the tach working you need this device (Autometer tach adapter 9117) ?

thanks for all that contributed to this and other topics on this swap.

#1576236 - 10/04/08 07:19 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: mrwhite]
mrwhite Offline
Climber

anyways, i completed this swap, dont really have the time to write a guide, but i will post these pictures, anyone is welcome to use them however.

big thanks to drock knowledge, k9vic guide, ezbok58a labrat and everyone else who contributed.

before install 2003 P71

donor wires from Marauder

repined and added donor wires into the harnesses, waiting to be connected

fully connected, notice tach wire coming up from the left, connected to the light green/white wire in the white connector and the white/red wire going down to be wired into the marauder gauge pod. also used two T-taps for the dupe wires.

extra long white/red wire for marauder gauge pod

i will post more in this topic, i had the same problem with the speedometer reading 20mph when i first started the car, but i didnt push it down all the way and just reset it back to 0mph other then that everything seems to work great.

#2031984 - 04/24/10 09:52 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
tackleberry Offline
Poobah

Loc: Las Vegas
hey OP, your video comes up in a google search!!!

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q...f910945c1ee36d4

#2031987 - 04/24/10 09:54 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: tackleberry]
tackleberry Offline
Poobah

oh yea, and what would you do if you have a column shifter? would you have to remove that shifter part on the cluster?

#2032012 - 04/24/10 10:51 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: tackleberry]
SgtTaz Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Chicago, IL
You would have to use your original plastic base and selector indicator if you wanted to have a selector for your column shift.( a mod combo of the original and marauder ) If you wanted to have the PRND21 you'd also need a custom face plate to match the new cluster as well.

2006 CVPI Smokestone Metallic/ 2005 CVPI D.O.A (6/04/10)/ 2000 CVPI Blown engine (R.I.P)(SOLD)

#2032052 - 04/24/10 11:38 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: SgtTaz]
tackleberry Offline
Poobah

i dont care really if the PRND21 is physically there, just as long as i can still use my column shifter. while floor shifters are cool, i like my column shifter it leaves me with a lot of freedom.

so basically i need to use the marauders guts and put it in a casing from my CV?

#2032077 - 04/25/10 12:26 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: tackleberry]
Dan The Vic Man Offline
Poobah

Loc: Coon Rapids MN
 Originally Posted By: tackleberry
i dont care really if the PRND21 is physically there, just as long as i can still use my column shifter. while floor shifters are cool, i like my column shifter it leaves me with a lot of freedom.

so basically i need to use the marauders guts and put it in a casing from my CV?
No just use the marauder cluster, i just did the swap a few weeks ago, you just loose the PRND21 indicater, everything stays the same you get to keep the column shifter and everything matter of fact you dont even touch it at all during the swap, the cable wire and indiicater stay with your old cv cluster.

1998 mercury Grand Marquis, 58k miles slower than a turtle stock as stock gets

RIP 99 CVPI

#2032110 - 04/25/10 01:06 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Dan The Vic Man]
SgtTaz Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Chicago, IL
But if he wants the indicator without the letters he does need to swap as stated and also use the surround from the CV as well (need the cut out) If you don't care about that then it's just not going to be there. won't effect the function of you shifter as stated by Dan.

2006 CVPI Smokestone Metallic/ 2005 CVPI D.O.A (6/04/10)/ 2000 CVPI Blown engine (R.I.P)(SOLD)

#2032367 - 04/25/10 03:54 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: SgtTaz]
Dan The Vic Man Offline
Poobah

Loc: Coon Rapids MN
 Originally Posted By: SgtTaz
But if he wants the indicator without the letters he does need to swap as stated and also use the surround from the CV as well (need the cut out) If you don't care about that then it's just not going to be there. won't effect the function of you shifter as stated by Dan.
The marauder cluster has the spot for the shifter indicater to hook into, the problem is that the marauder clsuter doesnt have the PRND21 pattern noted on the background of the cluster, so he would have to get a diffrent gauage overlay. I have a sloppy shifter on my car and even with that happening its not to big of a deal that i dont even have the indicaters anymore, i usually know when my cars not in D all the way lol it doesnt shift right lol i can tell the shifts are odd lol. Id just skip the indicater all togther lol, then look for a maruader center console shifter for upgrade \:D

1998 mercury Grand Marquis, 58k miles slower than a turtle stock as stock gets

RIP 99 CVPI

#2032942 - 04/26/10 02:26 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Dan The Vic Man]
strykerzr350 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: West Point, Ms
Awesome install Vin.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Totaled 11-6-09 rebuilt (sort of) 6-4-10.

#2186640 - 11/22/10 10:16 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: strykerzr350]
cdllcenthus Offline

Rookie

Loc: North Bergen, NJ
Now this is something I am pondering based on this whole Marauder to CV gauge cluster swap:

Instead of swapping a whole Marauder gauge cluster to a CV, would it be possible, to add a factory looking tach to your pre-2006 CVPI but with a lower level of required rewiring/splicing to take the guts of a Marauder tach and insert it into the CVPI gauge cluster in place of one of the side pods?

2012 Chevrolet Tahoe PPV 111K miles (purchased from Pine Belt Chevrolet with 3K miles)

PAST VEHICLES

1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 157K (got me through college, handled well in the snow)
1989 Lincoln Town Car, 123K
2003 CVPI, 182K (former Mahwah, NJ police car, gave it to my brother)
2011 Caprice PPV 1K (purchased from Lambert Buick-Pontiac-GMC 10/01/2012, traded for Tahoe PPV 01/2014)
2006 CVPI, 123K (former unmarked ISP car, sold)

#2186822 - 11/23/10 07:34 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: cdllcenthus]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: LI, NY
I don't think it would be possible since the tach is mounted differently to the cluster. Also you would lose the temp and oil gauges.

I may be doing the swap soon, I've got all the gauges now \:\)

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire - 347
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads
Accufab plenum for a DBW Panther
Blue LED buttons/switches how to

#2241276 - 02/18/11 12:20 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
nadroj Offline

Loc: en mi casa
ok guys, I am sort of new here. I have read the entire thread and the other ones concerning the marauder cluster swap. I have an '05 CVPI. Will I be able to do this swap?

Originally Posted By: craftsmanracer
I wonder why nice, genuine people are so uncool all of a sudden?

#2241369 - 02/18/11 07:32 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Yes, if you can find the cluster.

2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport with Stainless Works full exhaust, Addco swaybars, Heinous control arms, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads

#2241722 - 02/18/11 04:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

On a 05 I don't think it's as easy as 03-04, 2005 went to Drive by Wire and from what I've heard the wiring in the back of the cluster is different. An 06+ Gauge cluster might be an easier swap in a 05 but I have no idea if thats true or not.

The wiring behind the clusters is different on the CV/GM compared to the Marauder (my pics show this) so using the tach from the marauder in the vic cluster will not work. The only reason I pulled both clusters apart was to get the odometer out of my vic cluster and put it in the marauder cluster, but the actual marauder cluster is in my car, not a hodge-podge frankenstein vic cluster.

#2241750 - 02/18/11 05:42 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Drac Offline

Cpt. Smug
Over the Hill

Loc: Cali
i just bought a MM cluster today on car-part for one of my 03's wink
now i just gotta get the tach adapter

this is gonna be SWEEEET!!!!!!

2004 Crown Victoria finished in Dark Pearl Blue Metallic (DX) | Ported M122 powered DOHC conversion with all supporting mods. Dyno queen.
2010 BMW M5 V10 finished in Monaco Blue Metallic with 2-tone interior | Eisemann race exhaust | Lowered On Dinan coilovers. Daily Driver

BlueVic's DOHC Supercharged Build.
Bluevic's 1,000 RWHP Returnless Fuel System.
2009+ Window/Lock/Mirror Control Switches Retrofit.
Mercury Cougar Trunk Switch Retrofit.

#2241773 - 02/18/11 06:40 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

On a 05 I don't think it's as easy as 03-04, 2005 went to Drive by Wire and from what I've heard the wiring in the back of the cluster is different. An 06+ Gauge cluster might be an easier swap in a 05 but I have no idea if thats true or not.

The '05 has the same wiring to the cluster as previous years. I have a cluster from an unknown year in my car now with my speedo(odometer) and it is exactly the same.
I just need the tach adapter and some time.

Edited by BlackVic_P71 (02/18/11 06:42 PM)

#2241783 - 02/18/11 07:06 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Alright then, that clears that up. laugh

#2292653 - 05/08/11 12:19 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
m_j Offline

Loc: BC Canada
whats the best tach adapter to use?

#2292835 - 05/08/11 10:35 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: m_j]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: m_j
whats the best tach adapter to use?

Autometer 9117

#2293109 - 05/08/11 06:15 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Autometer 9117 is where it's at. I honestly don't know of another...

#2316405 - 06/18/11 08:03 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
DavidDC114 Offline
Climber

Loc: RI
hey, i just have 2 questions... i have an 04 sport, can i install the marauder cluster in my car without haveing to add or modify anything, would it just plug in and work? if not, how about a p71 cluster? would that just plug in and work? will the speedo still be accurate going from a 120 to a 140? thanks..

2004 Sport - POTM March 2012 - RIP 6-15-2013
2006 P71 Sport Edition - Retired Smithfield Police Unit 603

#2318076 - 06/21/11 05:50 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
FORDSON Offline
Rookie

Loc: VA
OK I have a question. Did the swap this weekend and everything worked on the first try except for the battery light doesnt come on during the key on cycle like it used to. I have a 2000 CVPI and I didnt see a wire on the diagrams for the battery light like i did on the marauder wiring. Is there a wire for that or is it not possible to get that working. I checked the bulb also and didnt look blown. Thanks

#2356939 - 08/21/11 04:28 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
m_j Offline

does anyone have the part numbers for the connectors that go to the marauder oil and volt meter guages?
and...where is a good spot to buy connectors? the stealerships here are absolutely rude for pricing ie. a VSS connector pigtail was $90
tuned using Delta Force by http://www.dirtydirtyracing.com/ through email smile great customer service
aeromotive 11142 fuel pump

#2356955 - 08/21/11 05:03 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: m_j]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: m_j
does anyone have the part numbers for the connectors that go to the marauder oil and volt meter guages?
and...where is a good spot to buy connectors?

Do you already have the gauges?

#2356986 - 08/21/11 05:50 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
m_j Offline

yup
gauges including the pod, which I do not know how to install apparently.
dash ripped open to see whats what now
tuned using Delta Force by http://www.dirtydirtyracing.com/ through email smile great customer service

#2357220 - 08/21/11 11:12 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
m_j Offline

more polish for the turd... oil and volt pod is still non functional and not properly affixed

#2357323 - 08/22/11 07:23 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: m_j]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

2 things:
1 - there is a bracket to mount the gauge pod(first pic is upside down)

2 - I have the connectors (send me a PM if you can't find them elsewhere)

Edited by BlackVic_P71 (08/22/11 07:29 AM)

#2371791 - 09/15/11 12:33 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
DavidDC114 Offline
Climber

ok, i got a guage pod, and i was originally gonna put a tach in it, but i think i am going to do the cluster swap instead, and leave the oil / volt in the guage pod. i just have a few questions, will the MM oil and volt guage work ok, and after the swap , has there been any problems? have you lost any features, is the new cluster perfectly accurate? thanks..

Edited by DavidDC114 (09/15/11 01:00 PM)

#2371808 - 09/15/11 01:03 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: DavidDC114]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Good luck finding the cluster.
Yes, you do need a tach adapter since our cars don't have an output signal for that.
The oil and volt gauges in the MM lower cluster are the same as for the Crown Vic cluster, they aren't "real" gauges. You can use the wires that you pull from the main cluster down to run those or you can swap in real gauges.

#2372266 - 09/15/11 11:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
DavidDC114 Offline
Climber

ok, Gary (k9vic www.cvpi.net) made a pin out chart of the crown vic / marauder plugs as a guide to do the pin swap, has anyone used this? i want to be sure it is correct.. there is one thing that confuses me, the crown vic black plug pin 12 has a wire called "check fuel cap indicator" but it seems the marauder counterpart is called "fuel door release solenoid, indicator" why are these different? fueld door release indicator? there is a button on the marauder to release the fuel door and it causes the indicator to light up??? this is very confusing to me lol..

#2587248 - 08/28/12 12:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
BrianDye Offline

Loc: Monroe, MI
Ordered a cluster and tach adapter, should be here Friday! So excited! Ive read this whole thread twice now, most of the links are dead besides this one:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/569771_1

The pinouts. Is that correct? No changes or anything for 04?

And at the beginning, is taking all that odometer gear apart just to adjust the mileage? (My cluster is pretty close). (Question being, can I just repin, hook up the tach adapter, and call it a day?

I know this is an old thread, but I hate posting new ones when its about a dime a dozen topic.

#2587269 - 08/28/12 01:34 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
KGIXXER7 Offline
Climber

Loc: Lansing, MI
here is a link to the marauder pin swap chart

https://rapidshare.com/files/891281132/MarauderPinSwap.7z

yeah I just installed the tach adapter, repined, and reinstalled, ODO was pretty close.

Edited by KGIXXER7 (08/28/12 01:36 PM)

05 P71 20/5% tint, window trim blacked out, Badgeless grille, Ported Plenum, Underdrive Pulley's, 19" GT500 replica wheels, marauder interior

#2587400 - 08/28/12 05:51 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BrianDye]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: BrianDye

And at the beginning, is taking all that odometer gear apart just to adjust the mileage? (My cluster is pretty close). (Question being, can I just repin, hook up the tach adapter, and call it a day?

I put my numbers into the Marauder cluster

#2587466 - 08/28/12 08:23 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

You can follow the steps I did to remove the Odometer gears, it's stuck on there pretty good so a bit of effort is required IIRC. The way the pins are set up is the way to go.

#2588720 - 08/31/12 05:14 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
98P73_IRAQ Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: iraq-baghdad-hell's street
File deleted.

1992 crownvic LX P74 (ex US DOD unit) SOLD 2009
1998 crownvic P73 (came from canada) SOLD 2014
1990 oldsmobile cutlass cierra 3.1L FE3 WORK VEHICLE
2007 toyota yaris 1.3L wife vehicle SOLD
2011 ford edge limited 3.5L AWD flooded (lifetime project)
2012 Ford Focus 2.0L. Exciting transmission technology.

#2588921 - 08/31/12 03:28 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
ChicagoVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: IL
I have a Marauder instrument cluster/ speedometer in great condition for sale if anyone is interested. Need mod and maintenance money!

#2589306 - 09/01/12 11:57 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
BrianDye Offline

Loc: Monroe, MI
OK- One more question before I start, I have the 120 speedo, do I need to switch gears or whatever to not have it jump to 20?

#2589357 - 09/01/12 02:42 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

There's no gears to change, you just have to correct it once it happens. And don't push the needles on too snugly...they'll stick.

#2589391 - 09/01/12 04:14 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

In case people are searching for that chart and can't find it, I put it up in another Marauder Cluster swap thread

#2637397 - 12/08/12 08:44 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Upstate, New York
Ok, I've decided to finally get my Marauder gauge swap going so, I need some help.

I picked up an extra set of cluster pigtails at the the junkyard today. I plan on re-pinning them and then wiring it up to my car so then all I have to do is match wire color.

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting the pins out of the connector. I can't seem to figure out how they are retained in there.

Who can help me out?

#2637400 - 12/08/12 08:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Nm. I figured it out.

Just took getting a closer look at the connector to figure it out.

#2637401 - 12/08/12 09:03 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

And with that another crisis was averted.

#2637456 - 12/08/12 11:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: MEvans043
Ok, I've decided to finally get my Marauder gauge swap going so, I need some help.

I picked up an extra set of cluster pigtails at the the junkyard today. I plan on re-pinning them and then wiring it up to my car so then all I have to do is match wire color.

You gonna practice repinning on the donor plugs?

#2637467 - 12/08/12 11:11 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

No, I miss-spoke.

What I planned on doing is to use the pigtails and re-pin them.

Then cut off the connectors from my cars cluster and wire it up by matching the pin colors from one pigtail to the other.

But... I just realized I got these pigtails from a 2001. That has different pins than 03-05 so I won't be doing it that way.

#2637657 - 12/09/12 11:31 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Just use the donor plug to practice taking the pins out then repin your factory plugs, once you get started it's not that hard. You will need a donor pin or 2 so it helps to have those plugs anyway.

#2637660 - 12/09/12 11:37 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

beer1

Thanks Tom, we'll do.

#2669138 - 02/14/13 08:41 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Bowtie_Vic Offline

Loc: Kansas
Man how did I miss this! I've been wanting a tach and 140 speedo for my '97 Turbo Vic so badly!

Definately going to pursue this very soon!

#2673627 - 02/23/13 10:59 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Ok. Finally started on my cluster swap today. Reading through this thread I found out that I wired up the Tach Adapter wrong. I wired it up to a single coil instead of the whole inline coil wiring, so that will have to be addressed before I continue to much more. It's at least a good thing that I used bullet connectors, so reconnecting the cut coil wire is easy.

#2673652 - 02/23/13 11:41 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

One thing I don't understand is how the spark is distributed.

https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/images/tach/03-tach.jpg

According to this diagram of Derek's, the inline power feed splices power to each coil and obviously it pulses 8 times per revolution.

But how are these pulses "routed", for a lack of a better term, to each coil in the correct sequence? Is there an ignition module somewhere that controls this?

#2673688 - 02/24/13 12:54 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

One thing I don't understand is how the spark is distributed.

https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/images/tach/03-tach.jpg

According to this diagram of Derek's, the inline power feed splices power to each coil and obviously it pulses 8 times per revolution.

But how are these pulses "routed", for a lack of a better term, to each coil in the correct sequence? Is there an ignition module somewhere that controls this?

Are you talking about the feed for the tachometer?

The way it was explained to me was find the common wire on all 8 coils, then follow the harness they all join into and splice into that common wire later in the loom.

#2673778 - 02/24/13 10:44 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

It's at least a good thing that I used bullet connectors, so reconnecting the cut coil wire is easy.

Do not leave a temporary connector on there, fix the wire so there is less chance for problems(like corrosion) later on.

#2677205 - 03/03/13 04:39 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

So I'm so [censored] confused now.

I rewired my Tach Adapter, the correct way this time, checked my pins and connections, and still have no function out of the Tach.

I don't know why the Tach has no function at all. Everything else on the cluster works...

#2677244 - 03/03/13 07:01 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Can anyone offer any advise? I'm completely stumped on this one...

#2677247 - 03/03/13 07:11 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Any life out of the tach at all? This is interesting.

#2677251 - 03/03/13 07:24 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Any life out of the tach at all? This is interesting.

Not a single sign of life.

I have power to the pins, and the tach adapter is providing a signal, but still no worky. Not even a twitch of the tach needle.

#2677252 - 03/03/13 07:26 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
KGIXXER7 Offline
Climber

Loc: Lansing, MI
is the needle pushed in to far? if it is pushed on to far it will get stuck. just something easy to check

05 P71 20/5% tint, window trim blacked out, Badgeless grille, Ported Plenum, Underdrive Pulley's, 19" GT500 replica wheels, marauder interior

#2677255 - 03/03/13 07:36 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: KGIXXER7]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: KGIXXER7
is the needle pushed in to far? if it is pushed on to far it will get stuck. just something easy to check

That's a possibility, I did install custom gauge faces on it.

Does anyone know what the tachometer signal type should be? I think it may be a square wave w/ varying frequencies, but I'm not sure.

#2677550 - 03/04/13 11:43 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Anyone know? If it is infact a square wave it would explain why my digital multimeter does not acurrately measure the output of the tach signal.

#2677560 - 03/04/13 12:04 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

Loc: Northeast Florida
Why not pick up a cheap aftermarket tach to check it?
'04 Ice Blue P73, MZT Mod with ADTR intake pipe, Ported Plenum, BBK 70mm TB, BOC 93 Octane Tune, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows and MM tips, Fanblades with 235/50/18 Front - 245/55/18 Rear, KYB Shocks, Adco swaybars, Marauder Rear Spoiler, '03 Mach I Chin Spoiler, Smoked Headlights & Front Corners, Bumper Tuck. (MM cluster waiting for install.)

#2677620 - 03/04/13 03:04 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that... I may try that if I continue having issues.

#2677655 - 03/04/13 04:18 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Florida_Mike]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: Florida_Mike
Why not pick up a cheap aftermarket tach to check it?
Hmm, I hadn't thought about that... I may try that if I continue having issues.

That's what I did when trying the tach in my '05 before hooking up the Marauder cluster, that way I knew the hook up worked before going through the steps.

#2678175 - 03/05/13 07:31 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
NGreen0807 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Rock Hill, NY
Have you still spliced into a single coil wire? That won't work.

You need the main coil feed wire which is pin 34 on C127 (the large connector under the brake master cylinder) on my 1999. It's red with a light green stripe on my car.

1999 CVPI. TR3650, tiny turbo, Ect.
2004 LX

#2678198 - 03/05/13 08:16 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: NGreen0807]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: NGreen0807

You need the main coil feed wire which is pin 34 on C127 (the large connector under the brake master cylinder) on my 1999. It's red with a light green stripe on my car.

I have it wired to a single coil,(cylinder 8 I think), as called for in the wiring instructions. It's a MSD 8913 Tach adapter.

#2678208 - 03/05/13 08:56 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
gplayer Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

I have it wired to a single coil,(cylinder 8 I think), as called for in the wiring instructions. It's a MSD 8913 Tach adapter.

Thats almost the same problem OP had. You read this whole thread right? He had to wire it to the main coil wire to get enough power to make it work right.

2003 Acura Cl Type-S, current DD, 140,000 miles. 6 speed manual (One of ~3750). Pioneer single low profile 10 inch, Pioneer GM5100T.

1970 Chevy C20 Project truck, SBC, 4 speed manual. Go-Fast goodies include: 400 crankshaft, bored .030 over, Vortec heads, Comp Cams XR252HR, hardened pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Scat Pro Stock forged connecting rods, Edlebrock Air Gap intake, Holley 650 Carb, Mallory Unilite distributor. Suspension: Front disc brakes with 2.5 inch drop spindles, Hotchkiss shocks, 4 inch drop coils in the rear, 3.73 gears, 265/40/R18 rear tires, and American Racing Torque thrust 18's. 13.9 1/4 mile.

#2678226 - 03/05/13 09:25 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: gplayer]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: gplayer

Thats almost the same problem OP had. You read this whole thread right? He had to wire it to the main coil wire to get enough power to make it work right.

I've read it probably 3 times now. Still confused. The instructions MSD gave me contradict what you're telling me to do.

#2678228 - 03/05/13 09:34 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
gplayer Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted By: gplayer

I've read it probably 3 times now. Still confused. The instructions MSD gave me contradict what you're telling me to do.

Well, not to be a dick, but its obviously not working with what msd is telling you, right? but OPs is working with the main coil wire. I would give it a shot.

2003 Acura Cl Type-S, current DD, 140,000 miles. 6 speed manual (One of ~3750). Pioneer single low profile 10 inch, Pioneer GM5100T.

1970 Chevy C20 Project truck, SBC, 4 speed manual. Go-Fast goodies include: 400 crankshaft, bored .030 over, Vortec heads, Comp Cams XR252HR, hardened pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Scat Pro Stock forged connecting rods, Edlebrock Air Gap intake, Holley 650 Carb, Mallory Unilite distributor. Suspension: Front disc brakes with 2.5 inch drop spindles, Hotchkiss shocks, 4 inch drop coils in the rear, 3.73 gears, 265/40/R18 rear tires, and American Racing Torque thrust 18's. 13.9 1/4 mile.

#2678235 - 03/05/13 09:51 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

The problem is it's not working at all. When the OP had it wired the "wrong way", he was at least getting 1/8th of the tach signal. I'm getting nothing at all.

#2678270 - 03/05/13 11:22 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
NGreen0807 Offline
Over the Hill

Just went ahead and drew a simple diagram and read the instructions online for you Morgan. Texted it to you.

You do indeed need to interrupt the wire I mentioned earlier and run it through the box with the red and red/green wires on the MSD harness.

2004 LX

#2678272 - 03/05/13 11:25 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
NGreen0807 Offline
Over the Hill

I do speak the truth. Pulled from MSD's website for #8913

2004 LX

#2678275 - 03/05/13 11:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: NGreen0807]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

I do speak the truth. Pulled from MSD's website for #8913

Well. I do believe I've wired my Tach-adapter wrong twice now. mad

Thanks Nick, I was looking at this diagram ALL wrong!

#2678291 - 03/06/13 12:05 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
NGreen0807 Offline
Over the Hill

Here's for 2003+ Morgam. Still pin 34. RD/LG circuit 16

2004 LX

#2678367 - 03/06/13 09:50 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
MEvans043 Offline
Over the Hill

Ok well, as frustratuing as it is to learn I did something wrong twice, it's even more frustrating to me that I told my dad the way it was supposed to be wired into pin 34. He didn't want to listen and we ended up doing it his way. So now it's cost me hours of work to undo and redo wiring and it's still wrong. The first time we wired it by accident into the fuel injector, the second time into the coil on cylinder 8. I can't belive he was able to convince me to wire it otherwise, even though I knew it contradicted what the forums had to say.
rant
Thanks for catching my mistake everyone. I'll have to go back and try it again once more. This time, w/o my dads 2 cents.

#2679352 - 03/08/13 10:39 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Mrvic2004 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I take it for an 04 LX Sport this isn't a plug n play if you don't have a tach adapter?

#2679399 - 03/08/13 12:27 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Mrvic2004]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: junior
I take it for an 04 LX Sport this isn't a plug n play if you don't have a tach adapter?

Correct, it only works on Marauders without an adapter.

#2679401 - 03/08/13 12:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: MEvans043]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

rant
Thanks for catching my mistake everyone. I'll have to go back and try it again once more. This time, w/o my dads 2 cents.

Honest dad, I don't know what happened to your PCM wiring...

#2679433 - 03/08/13 01:29 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BlackVic_P71]
Mrvic2004 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Originally Posted By: BlackVic_P71

Correct, it only works on Marauders without an adapter.

Well since I already have the tach installed, this shouldn't be hard at all until I start messing with the odometer.

#2679511 - 03/08/13 04:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Mrvic2004]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Well since I already have the tach installed, this shouldn't be hard at all until I start messing with the odometer.

Your best bet is to pop the numbers out of your original speedo and put them in the Marauder speedo, this way you keep the mileage accurate.

#2693313 - 04/07/13 11:52 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The People's Republic Of Ann A...
So, I made the ballsy move of starting this at 5pm on a worknight. With that in mind, things turned out reasonably well.

The good:
-VSS input working, speedo works properly up to 60ish, where the needle appears to be binding
-Swapped odometer, appears to be working
-Didn't mess up the charging light, getting a constant 12.8-13v in cabin.
- Coolant and gas gauge also appear to be working.
- Turn Signals work

The meh:
- Tach not hooked up yet, no biggie
- I should probably get a new alternator, given that it's only putting out 13.7v-ish

The bad:
- The CEL and OD-off light are on, but very dim. OD is on and the PCM isn't throwing any codes, so I'm not sure why exactly they're on. As a reference, the CEL lights up fully with key on engine off and looks normal. When running, it's on but barely. Anyone have an idea here?

- None of the backlighting works. I've got pin 3 on the white connector spliced to pin 16. With the parking lamps or headlamps on I get +12V between pins 15&16, and +12v between pins 3&15 (15 is ground). I checked the pins again, they seem fine. Could they not be making contact? Or might it be something else?

Edited by Captain_Slow (04/07/13 11:53 PM)

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2693331 - 04/08/13 02:00 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
KayTar Offline

Poobah

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If it looks like the OD light is on but really dim
it might be caused by overly bright bulbs behind or LEDs

See here on my 2003 when I replaced my stock gauge bulbs
with LEDs there were so bright it made the other spots look like
they were lot up. The air bag light is slightly lit because the LEDs were
so bright

Nevermind I re read your post and it says your back lights are not
working sorry I missed that.

Edited by KayTar (04/08/13 02:01 AM)

#2694274 - 04/10/13 01:34 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Captain_Slow Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: The People's Republic Of Ann A...
Update... The lighting issues boiled down to LED bulbs put in backwards (the CEL and OD-off, which partially lit because of how they're wired I think, and ALL of the illumination bulbs, which didn't light because the polarity was backwards).

Still need to get the tach hooked up and play with the speedo a bit though

Member of the 4.6 Mafia

#2702095 - 04/28/13 03:02 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BlackVic_P71]
213Shieldefender Offline

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA

Your best bet is to pop the numbers out of your original speedo and put them in the Marauder speedo, this way you keep the mileage accurate.

I'm thinking about swapping putting in a P71 140 mph speedometer into my 05 Sport. I'd like to keep my odometer accurate, but is it possible to swap the odometer into the P71 speedometer without removing the needles? After my harrowing experience installing my Scott Hrbacek custom gauge faces I would prefer not to tamper with the needles if I don't have to.

Luckily the P71 cluster I bought has slightly more miles than my car does, so if worse comes to worse I'll just keep driving my car until its mileage matches the replacement cluster's mileage and then I'll swap it out.
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport, 97k mi, MZT, BOC 87 Octane tune, ported & polished plenum, 35% tint, Federal Signal LED CHMSL, eBay LED taillights, Headlamp Relay Upgrade, Mach 1 chin spoiler, P71 140 mph cluster, carbon fiber interior trim
(Coming soon) 09+ recessed window switches
2008 GMC Yukon SLE, 23k mi, center console, LED tail lights, Tahoe PPV wiper arms, body side molding delete

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

#2702156 - 04/28/13 05:34 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: 213Shieldefender]
BlackVic_P71 Offline
Grand Poobah

Originally Posted By: 213Shieldefender

I'm thinking about putting a P71 140 mph speedometer into my 05 Sport. I'd like to keep my odometer accurate, but is it possible to swap the odometer into the P71 speedometer without removing the needles?

No, to get at the #'s you have to take the needle off.

You are swapping a 140mph cluster for your custom gauge face cluster?

#2702488 - 04/29/13 10:04 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BlackVic_P71]
213Shieldefender Offline

Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA
No, to get at the #'s you have to take the needle off.

You are swapping a 140mph cluster for your custom gauge face cluster?

I see... I guess that means I'll have to bite the bullet and pull the needles. It was a real PITA when I did it last time grrr

But yes, I am swapping to a 140mph cluster. I kinda wished I had done this before I got the custom faces, but I'll probably have Scott make me some new ones sometime down the line.
2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport, 97k mi, MZT, BOC 87 Octane tune, ported & polished plenum, 35% tint, Federal Signal LED CHMSL, eBay LED taillights, Headlamp Relay Upgrade, Mach 1 chin spoiler, P71 140 mph cluster, carbon fiber interior trim
(Coming soon) 09+ recessed window switches
2008 GMC Yukon SLE, 23k mi, center console, LED tail lights, Tahoe PPV wiper arms, body side molding delete

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

#2824418 - 04/03/14 07:33 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Vickey2000 Offline
Climber

Loc: South Florida
Im going to be doing this swap in a week or two. Here is what I have to work with.

1996 Grand Marquis- Aluminum- Daily driven
PI intake swap, marauder rear sway bar, heavy duty converter, and shift kit.

#2829229 - 04/20/14 08:24 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Vickey2000 Offline
Climber

#2833773 - 05/08/14 03:51 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
defflepp1 Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
so i just read through this and it seem fairly straight forward. however, how much more difficult would it be to go from digital to marauder? if i got the analog connectors could i just splice them onto the digital harness?

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 101,000 miles
DONE:4.10 gears, Trac-Loc, MPT 91 octane tune, K&N FIPK, 75MM throttle body, Infinity Kappa 5X7 all around, Infinity amp, Polk 12" sub in sealed box, Marauder headlights, Marauder corners
TO DO:Stainless works full exhaust, New suspension, and hopefully much more...

#2833784 - 05/08/14 08:36 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
racprops Offline

Loc: Phoenix Az
For those having to remove the pointers and remount them Mark at www.accutach.com has a page http://www.accutach.com/Pages/GeneralHowTos.aspx that shows how to use a 12 volt power supply and a wall wart power unit to calibrate your gauges...

Lots of data for gauges, and he is very helpful if contacted.

You might find my thread converting to a Mustang Cluster helpful:

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2791245&#Post2791245

Rich

#2833977 - 05/08/14 11:47 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
defflepp1 Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
so im looking at picking a one of these up but i dont want to if its going to be a headache to install. reading through this and some other threads its seems as though all it would be is simply splicing on the analog connectors in place of the digital ones, is that true? or is there more involved?

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 101,000 miles
DONE:4.10 gears, Trac-Loc, MPT 91 octane tune, K&N FIPK, 75MM throttle body, Infinity Kappa 5X7 all around, Infinity amp, Polk 12" sub in sealed box, Marauder headlights, Marauder corners
TO DO:Stainless works full exhaust, New suspension, and hopefully much more...

#2840050 - 06/05/14 04:49 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

Does anyone know of a way that I can just swap out the tach portion of the MM cluster to my CV cluster, replacing the temp and oil guages.
'04 Ice Blue P73, MZT Mod with ADTR intake pipe, Ported Plenum, BBK 70mm TB, BOC 93 Octane Tune, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows and MM tips, Fanblades with 235/50/18 Front - 245/55/18 Rear, KYB Shocks, Adco swaybars, Marauder Rear Spoiler, '03 Mach I Chin Spoiler, Smoked Headlights & Front Corners, Bumper Tuck. (MM cluster waiting for install.)

#2840151 - 06/05/14 10:30 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Vickey2000 Offline
Climber

Its possible as long as the MM tach pins fits into the cluster housing in place of the temp and oil gauges. T

If you have the MM tach then where is the rest of the cluster?

#2840243 - 06/06/14 08:59 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Vickey2000]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: Vickey2000
Its possible as long as the MM tach pins fits into the cluster housing in place of the temp and oil gauges. T

If you have the MM tach then where is the rest of the cluster?

I have the whole cluster, but thought it might me easier to just swap the tach into the CV cluster, Then mount an oil and temp guage into an A-pillar pod.

#2840286 - 06/06/14 11:28 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

The actual electronic back of both clusters is differently wired and routed, not sure if that'd work.

#2840460 - 06/06/14 09:21 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Vickey2000 Offline
Climber

Swap the entire cluster. It will be tedious work but in the end it is definitely worth it.

#2884423 - 02/10/15 03:58 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Brock_Samson Offline

Loc: Nor-Cal (Sac)
Anyone near Sacramento who can come do this with me on a weekend. Or I can pay to do it for me haha... I have a full marauder interior swap with just this and the floor shifter needed to be finished.

#3130370 - 03/29/16 05:16 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
mrltd Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: MD/OH
Quick question, on the pin swap PDF, it sways to extend 2c-5 to 1c-16 for a ground. Now, 1c-14 on the vic wiring is a ground, can that be used instead of extending the wire from the other connector?
Original Member #4 of CVN
[email protected] in a 4500lb wagon!!!
http://youtube.com/user/FamilyTruckster
http://jalopnik.com/337517/country-squire-autocross-madness
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052022
1989 Country Squire LX
1990 Country Squire LX
2004 Grand Marquis GS

#4116024 - 07/23/21 02:02 AM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Hankdow Offline
n00b

Loc: MD, USA
Alrighty then, time to bring a dead form post back to life.

So I just completed the MM cluster swap in my 02 lx sport. Speedo and fuel work fine,however the engine temp gauge pegs itself at max the moment the cluster gains power. I've tried figuring out where I went wrong but idk. Any help would be appreciated

-Hank
Ps I know about the tach I'll get to it eventually I already had one in the car, also how does one add a picture to a post?

"Mods"
04+ cvpi airbox with 04 zip tube
smoked euro-style led taillights
Smoked headlights
Full Stainless Works exhaust
ADTR coilovers, swaybars, control arms
Comp Cams-Modular head shop stage 2 N/A cams

#4116158 - 07/24/21 08:58 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Bellwestern80 Online   content

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
To add a picture, you'll need to use an external host, like Imgur or the equivalent with direct linking for forums.

Regarding the temperature gauge, I'd verify you're hooked up (or the appropriate pin is set correctly in the connector shell) for the appropriate feed from the temperature sensor. Sounds like the feed might be grounded.

I had all sorts of weird issues when I crossed up the 'Door Ajar' input from a body ground when I did an invasive cluster swap. Having the door locks cycle with the turn signal on was a new one. smile

Definitely might be a simple fix.

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

#4116264 - 07/25/21 11:20 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Hankdow Offline
n00b

Loc: MD, USA
Well, I'll have to look into adding pictures at a different time. I looked over the pinout before and thought I had it right, but after reading your post I laughed and realized thats what I had done. I swapped a ground and the temp input wire pin slots, as the temp input has to cross to the other connector. Thanks for your help

"Mods"
04+ cvpi airbox with 04 zip tube
smoked euro-style led taillights
Smoked headlights
Full Stainless Works exhaust
ADTR coilovers, swaybars, control arms
Comp Cams-Modular head shop stage 2 N/A cams

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >

Who's Online
3 registered (derekghs, Bellwestern80, 1 invisible), 52 Guests and 107 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 49
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!