Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1397329 - 02/14/08 05:53 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: BigNSlow]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
 Originally Posted By: Bluemobile
Will Aeros need a tach adapter or can we just use a PCM feed?

-95 use EDIS module pin

96-97 PCM pin

https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/tach.htm

No tach adapter needed for us ;\)

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

Links
#1397342 - 02/14/08 06:00 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: vicfan_00]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quickly as I do not have allot of time right now.

1. I did not take either cluster apart to do this swap. I may later fix the mileage.
2. You have to swap most of all the pins around in the dash and extend a few over to the other plug. Extend the wire by splicing in new wire and solder ends with heat shrink or electrical tape.
3. The chip that you unpluged is the fuel sensor chip and the part number was the same on my cluster as the Marauder. It does not need to be swapped.
4. Everything what vicfan_00 said.

See my web page cvpi.net for documents I made from the tech diagrams, but they may not be 100% accurate and should be used only as a reference.

EDIT: dRock96Marquis posted a direct link, there are a few other diagrams there also. Feel free to pass these around as the reason why I made them.

http://s95316603.onlinehome.us/cvpi/cvpi-Mspeedo.html

Edited by K-9Vic (02/14/08 06:04 PM)
1986 M1031 - CUCV Military Vehicle, also a 2003 Honda ST1100P (serial #000001)

#1397361 - 02/14/08 06:15 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: Who wants to know...
It took me 2 hours to finally figure out what the moving of pins actually meant (probably the blonde in me). Much swearing ensued...

I'm out of daylight now, and I have work tomorrow (no worries there, car was staying at home anyway. ) I'll see if I can grab extra wires and a soldering gun and I'll tackle it Saturday.

drock. I tried to undo the connectors, they're stuck in there good, so good that I can't remove them without breaking them. So unfortunately that's how its going to stay till I go back out and fiddle with it.

And the pins I have to change, oh joy...

#1397368 - 02/14/08 06:24 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Trim pieces now sitting in back seat. I forgot I had a tiny screw driver on my person.

Radio and dash bezel are back in their respective holes for now. I can reach the pins without it getting in the way.

#1397408 - 02/14/08 06:51 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

The connector repin is tricky at first, but you will quickly get the hang of it after the first one.

You can see on the back off the connector is a plastic strip that locks all the terminals. you need to hook the clips for this on the sides so it can be pushing up off the wires. It will stay attached to the connector, like a hinge.

Once that's out the terminals will still be in place. Looking down into the connector there are very small plastic tabs. You need to push these tabs up from the backside to unhook them. To do so slide an awl or dental pick on top of the wire until it presses the plastic. You will fumble with it at first but keep constant tension on the terminal you are removing so you know the second it's free.

From there you can move them all around, one at a time. The simply click back in place. The locking plastic tab on the back just clips back when you're done.

My Mustang cluster required numerous additional pins, so I picked up some connectors from the junkyard to solder in for the extra terminals. This shouldn't be an issue for your 03, just use one o f the extra pins from the oil or volt gauge for the tach signal (cut it off and solder on)
As far as extending wires, *SOME* will stretch over enough provided you unwrap some of the harness. Some won't make it though and need to be lengthened.

Darkness is not an excuse. I repined my connectors in the dark for the Mustang cluster swap Route an extension cord to the car and use a worklight so you don't drain the battery, preferably fluorescent so it stays cool.

#1397438 - 02/14/08 07:22 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
TechnoWeenie Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Loc: The perimeter

*SMACK*

That's the anti-slosh module... It smooths out the input from the gas tank float sensor, so the fuel gauge is not bouncing around as you hit a bump...

#1397513 - 02/14/08 08:37 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: dRock96Marquis
The connector repin is tricky at first, but you will quickly get the hang of it after the first one.

You can see on the back off the connector is a plastic strip that locks all the terminals. you need to hook the clips for this on the sides so it can be pushing up off the wires. It will stay attached to the connector, like a hinge.

Once that's out the terminals will still be in place. Looking down into the connector there are very small plastic tabs. You need to push these tabs up from the backside to unhook them. To do so slide an awl or dental pick on top of the wire until it presses the plastic. You will fumble with it at first but keep constant tension on the terminal you are removing so you know the second it's free.

From there you can move them all around, one at a time. The simply click back in place. The locking plastic tab on the back just clips back when you're done.

My Mustang cluster required numerous additional pins, so I picked up some connectors from the junkyard to solder in for the extra terminals. This shouldn't be an issue for your 03, just use one o f the extra pins from the oil or volt gauge for the tach signal (cut it off and solder on)
As far as extending wires, *SOME* will stretch over enough provided you unwrap some of the harness. Some won't make it though and need to be lengthened.

Darkness is not an excuse. I repined my connectors in the dark for the Mustang cluster swap Route an extension cord to the car and use a worklight so you don't drain the battery, preferably fluorescent so it stays cool.

Considering I have work tomorrow, and now that I find out last minute my dad has a doctors appointment tomorrow (something he didn't remember till I was searching for what pins to change/what the pins were exactly) I have to get up early and drop him off for his appointment before work. Then have to take a half hour and pick him up.

All on top of stopping to get some extra wire (wouldn't hurt to have anyway) and a soldering gun (I don't have one because electronics scare me ) and I should be ok for a full day saturday of getting this all together and working. \:\)

#1398210 - 02/15/08 04:32 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

More pics of the pin connectors...

Now I just need to figure out how to pull said connector apart.

Oh and I got some supplies today after work \:D

Didn't know which wire I needed, so I got both

I can't believe I had a wire stripper either, I am slacking

He-he, it says butt

#1399052 - 02/16/08 04:09 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

I'm currently swapping pins, but I've hit a snag. And a rather big one at that.

This is how my pinout should read.

1 yellow/white
2 black/white
3 red/yellow
4 pink/light green
5 purple
6 black
7 lightgreen/white
8 darkgreen/lightgreen
9 yellow
10 black/white
11 darkgreen/lightgreen
12 white/lightgreen
13 lightblue/pink
14 pink/orange
15 lightblue/pink
16 gray/black

How mine's actually wired is like this:

1. yellow/white
2. pink
3. red/yellow
4. pink/lightgreen
5. purple
6. Black
7. lightgreen/white
8. darkgreen/lightgreen
9. yellow
10. black/white
11. darkgreen/lightgreen
12. lightgreen/yellow
13. darkgrey/red
14. red/orange
15. blank ie. empty
16. grey/black

This wouldn't concern me too much, but the Marauder pin layout says several of the pins stay the same (and the ones that stay the same are completely different colors than those wired into the car).

Spot 15 for connector 1 had nothing. Even in the pic I took yesterday there's nothing there.

And according to the pinout for the crown victoria, spot 13 (1c-13) is listed the same as spot 15 (1c-15) and is the same wire color, light blue/pink.

The same is true for connector 2.

Spot one (2c-1) is listed as lamp indicator feed (crown vic) but on my connector, there's also nothing there.

And according to the Marauder connector the spot it goes to is the same as spot 16 (2c-16)

So I'm completely lost now.

#1399201 - 02/16/08 07:58 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

Your pictures have helped me to edit my PIN swap document. Both the CV and Marauder have the same PIN ID for the black plug "Voltage supplied at all times (Overload Protect)" per the Ford diagram from dRock96Marquis. I am working on find out what you need to do with PIN 15 on the Marauder. I do believe it does need power, but doubt that it need at all times. Ignor my original document, do this.

I do believe this is what I did.
You should be OK moving CV PIN 1c-13 "Voltage supplied in Run (Overload Protect)" to Marauder 1c-15. There are a total of three PIN not used on the CV, but the Marauder only has one. So two extra PIN are needed. I only recall not using one PIN on the white plug 2c-7.

Let me look into this more, I will post an update later, but this should work for you. I will edit and update my document as well since it needs to be updated.

Edited by K-9Vic (02/16/08 09:08 PM)

#1399225 - 02/16/08 08:39 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

On the black connector pin 2 wire color - the diagram says pink/orange just like yours:

Why did you think it would be bk/w? only NGV use that. So don't worry about that.

On the black connector blank pin problem - your CV has the lb/pk wire on pin 13. The Marauder has the air suspension indicator lamp on this pin. So, just move the LB/p wire on your pin 13 to pin 15.
The service manual obviously should have put the asterisks next to pin 15 as well as it must of been lb/pk on MM only.

On the white connector blank pin -
I'm not sure why there isn't a pin there, the must have bridged the illumination input after the connector rather than two separate pins. No big deal, you will just need to splice into the o/bk wire that's on your pin 16 and run an extra pin if one is needed for the MM cluster.

#1399252 - 02/16/08 09:14 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: dRock96Marquis]
K-9Vic Offline

Poobah

I agree with dRock96Marquis, seems the diagram they did not put the asterisks there.

I reworked my instructions, they should be correct now. I also said to move PIN 13 to 15 on the black plug.

On the white plug there is one PIN that needs power, use a blue coupler and tap into the wire you moved to 2c-1 that is for Voltage supplied in start and run (Overload Protect). There are also a few other new pins that are needed and wires that will need to be tapped into. One is a ground and other is Interior, Lamps, Feed. See my document for where to tap into.

My document should be correct if not very close to correct now. See dRock96Marquis diagram if needed.
http://s95316603.onlinehome.us/cvpi/Speedo/Speedo-All.pdf

#1399300 - 02/16/08 10:38 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: K-9Vic]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Ok, spot 15 is now hotwired to spot 13 (ie split to both).

Most of you guys doing this swap were doing it with CVPIs, which (I'm guessing) have more pins than a regular civilian Vic (maybe to run more light accessories or something). But for now it should be good. Tomorrow I'll post the pics of what is done before I try and fire it up.

The one problem I ran into is I didn't have enough connecting pins for the wires I needed. (again if someone else who did this swap had a civi car I can see/ask how their's was. I'm essentially the guniea pig.)

I got some pin type connectors at radioshack but it doesn't really fit (it'd touch the connecting circut on the console, but its not pretty looking.)

I'll have a pic tomorrow of how I have it set up before I tighten everything down and give it a go.

This week I will make a run to the local salvage yard and grab another gauge cluster pin connector (with wiring harness) and use one of the pins there to make it work/ look better.

Tach is wired up, have to zip tie everything down. Pins are swapped, and wires are spliced/soldered. I should be good tomorrow.

#1399303 - 02/16/08 10:43 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
Ezbok58a Offline
Banned
Posting Addict

Bah, I read this now. (I was out in the car making the wire from 15 also over to plug 2...damn).

Tomorrow I'll splice the orange/black wire in spot 16 in connector two to the spot it has to go to on connector two as well. No big...

#1399321 - 02/16/08 11:17 PM Re: The Marauder Cluster Swap... [Re: Ezbok58a]
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Glad it's moving along well. The result will be worth it

The CVPIs have the same number of pins on the cluster, and they are interchangeable (CVPI and retail analog clusters)
The pin thing was just something weird. The service manual diagrams do have mistakes on occasion.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 13 >

Who's Online
3 registered (KMBT, GM_Guy, RF_Overlord), 139 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Dmblanch 33
Old_Guy_Stu 32
RF_Overlord 31
speedfreak 27
Bellwestern80 25
LordAeneas 23
PrincePolaris 20
a_d_a_m 17
GM_Guy 16
Traffic22 15
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!