Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1666385 - 01/17/09 11:46 PM need info: 63 Fairlane chassis swap
PCP_Brad Offline

Loc: Moosomin, Saskatchewan
Hi all, I have had a beautiful old 1963 Fairlane since 1987 (my very first car) and I have been planning a resto for some time. While taking it apart to review where I need to focus, I have come across a lot of holes and rust outs underneath. So many so, that I would have to replace the floor pan and a big chunk of chassis to get it anywhere near safe.

My question for today is, can I realistically swap the car onto a newer RWD chassis (complete with drive train etc)? Any suggestions as to what would be close in size? I would like to keep it original looking, but maybe update it to fuel injection, coils suspension, or whatever.

I have access to a complete shop so that isn't a big deal, and time is no object. I have a lot of replacement parts already and if I only had to pick up some kind of vehicle for the donor, then that isn't too bad.....Anyone try something like this before?

2002 Ford Crown Victoria P71

#1761400 - 05/07/09 07:59 AM Re: need info: 63 Fairlane chassis swap [Re: PCP_Brad]
2000-CVPI Offline

EUTM
Poobah

Loc: Michigan
The Fairlane was unibody, so I am unsure if a frame could be mounted under the car.

2004 DTR Marauder, tune, 4.10's, K and N intake, stainless bumper inserts, misc other mods
CVN Panther of the Month December 2015
2004 Crown Victoria Sport, stock

#1764221 - 05/11/09 01:52 AM Re: need info: 63 Fairlane chassis swap [Re: 2000-CVPI]
RunUover Offline

ya, theyre unibody like old mustangs. id just cut out everything thats rusted and replace. the front torque boxes and rear frame rails are where ou really need to look. alot of people add rails to tie in the rear frame rails to the front torque boxes on these old fords

putting a whole new frame in the car would be much much much more work

just do it the right way. if you could build an entierly custom body over frame and suspension then im sure fixing this the right way shouldnt be a big deal

1989 Grand Marquis GS

Moderator:  RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
5 registered (Flyingtexan, Box83, KYF350, Bangster, 1 invisible), 69 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 101
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 81
Old_Guy_Stu 77
Dmblanch 59
Moby_Vic 54
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 45
DudeAbides 45
jmlock 43
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!