Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1724684 - 03/25/09 09:42 PM building lots of pressure in my cooling system
msu_johnny Offline
Stranger

i'm having a problem with my 99 grand marquis. I was over heating and thought it was my fan, checked that it's working, then thought it was my thermostat, replaced that still having a problem, over the winter i had no heat at times made me think that it was the themostat so replaced that now i'm still over heating and i'm building so much pressure in the cooling system it's blowing the fluid back out the cap of the over flow tank. any ideas?

Links
#1724689 - 03/25/09 09:48 PM trying to find good price on intake manifold [Re: msu_johnny]
msu_johnny Offline
Stranger

if it wasn't enough that my grand marquis is down and i can't figure out what's wrong with that, my 2000 crown vic is down now too, found that i have a crack in my intake manifold, i patched it to get it running again with high pressure high heat epoxy. don't know how long this will last though any one have experience how long this will last? I know it will have to be replaced anyway just trying to get an idea of when i might expect to HAVE to change it out. anyone know where i can get a good used one or a really good price on a new one. found some on ebay for around $200, hoping i didn't have to spend that much

Edited by msu_johnny (03/25/09 09:49 PM)

#1725034 - 03/26/09 10:09 AM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: msu_johnny]
gDMJoe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Timbuk3, MI
 Quote:
msu_johnny ... 99 grand marquis

Overheating + cooling system pressure build-up sometimes indicate a head gasket problem. *Though a pressure and/or combustion-gas test should be done on the cooling system.

Do you have oil in the coolant ?

Do you have anti-freeze in the oil ?

Alternative ... Air pocket in the cooling system.

Regarding the no-heat ... Plugged heater core and/or air pocket in the cooling system | blend-door issue (?).

-click the Vic-

#1725057 - 03/26/09 10:39 AM Re: trying to find good price on intake manifold [Re: msu_johnny]
Timmn1 Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Near I-80 & I-57
The time I tried patching a crack in the intake manifold with epoxy, it lasted all of maybe 15 minutes.

As far as picking up a good used one, just about any junk yard should have at least one Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Towncar with a good intake. The U-Pull-It yard by me has many of them.

#1725149 - 03/26/09 12:03 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: gDMJoe]
Big_Bad_Joe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Rochester NY
Pressure is from the heat.... temps must be very high. Does it got hot real quick?

Did the heat in the car stop first or did it stop after the overheating?

Could be a collapsing hose... or could be a water pump

check the hoses and make sure they are not really weak ....

any leaks?

Radiator cap check that too as it will suck air if it is not sealing correctly
Given to DG in Ohio

2013 Ford Expedition Limited EL, Pearl White

2000 HPP RESURECTION RIP 8/17/2012 died in Dayton OH

#1725256 - 03/26/09 01:02 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: Big_Bad_Joe]
brack86svo Offline
n00b

Loc: Pennsylvania
Your best bet would be to get a hold of a pressure tester and put it on the reservoir. Start the car up from cold and if the pressure shoots right up you have a cold compression leak. That could be a head gasket.

If you have a cracked head, the compression might not get into the cooling system till the engine warms up and everything starts expanding.

You can also look in the reservoir for any signs of foreign material, this can be a sign of exhaust gases.

Don't rule out the air pocket, and it probably wouldn't hurt to pull the water pump and check it out.

#1725357 - 03/26/09 02:27 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: brack86svo]
TheShadow Online   content

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
A '97 CV had similar problems with cooling system. Bad thermostat, mostly clogged radiator, failing water pump, lots of hot running (not necessarily "boiling-over" overheating), and always max pressure in the cooling system. Then started running poorly - missing, rough idle. Did a compression check and coolant spat out of cylinder #1. Replaced the head - it had a crack that was going from the combustion chamber to the cooling jacket.

Do a compression check and be ready for some bad news.

Edit: Also make sure the heater core is not plugged up.

Edited by TheShadow (03/26/09 02:30 PM)
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

#1725457 - 03/26/09 04:50 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: TheShadow]
msu_johnny Offline
Stranger

as far as oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil i'm not noticing any of that and have check for it several times.

as for a pressure test on the reservoir they are telling me the pressure is getting so high that they can't even do that.

as for how fast it heats up, you start it up, let the oil get to the top of the engine then put it in gear and drive 120 yards from the pole barn to the garage and the temp bars are lighting up one after the other quickly.

didn't think about the air pocket though or the water pump, i'll check those too.

if anyone has anymore ideas i'd be grateful to hear them, thanks for the help thus far.

#1725466 - 03/26/09 05:02 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: msu_johnny]
gord_bolton Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Your first tip off to being low on coolant may be the lack of heat from the heater. Looking at the reservoir may be misleading because you may have a huge air buble inside the engine.

Fill through the thermostat housing or heater hose.

You will need to pressure test to see if the system holds pressure and to detect leaks.

#1725480 - 03/26/09 05:22 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: msu_johnny]
Big_Bad_Joe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Rochester NY
 Originally Posted By: msu_johnny
as far as oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil i'm not noticing any of that and have check for it several times.

as for a pressure test on the reservoir they are telling me the pressure is getting so high that they can't even do that.

as for how fast it heats up, you start it up, let the oil get to the top of the engine then put it in gear and drive 120 yards from the pole barn to the garage and the temp bars are lighting up one after the other quickly.

didn't think about the air pocket though or the water pump, i'll check those too.

if anyone has anymore ideas i'd be grateful to hear them, thanks for the help thus far.

i would say the water pump crapped out completely.. no circulation
basic tea kettle
Given to DG in Ohio

2013 Ford Expedition Limited EL, Pearl White

2000 HPP RESURECTION RIP 8/17/2012 died in Dayton OH

#1725499 - 03/26/09 05:39 PM Re: building lots of pressure in my cooling system [Re: Big_Bad_Joe]
TheShadow Online   content

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
Compression test!!! Compression test!!!

Before you spend any more money on parts.

I had no coolant in the oil. The rings' seal was so good that I got 250+ lbs. of compression on the failed cylinder! I don't think a cooling system pressure tester (@ 16 lbs.) can go quite that high.
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

Who's Online
6 registered (Fomocop71, TheShadow, Davidzq, 01boatman, Dmblanch, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 138 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 109
JeffBoudah 81
Armada Master 74
Old_Guy_Stu 72
Moby_Vic 65
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 54
a_d_a_m 44
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 42
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!