Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28 >
Topic Options
#1757621 - 05/01/09 11:10 PM The official manual transmission swap
2004_p71 Offline

no replacement for displacement
Posting Addict

Loc: Quebec Canada
Ever since i did the swap almost a year ago i got tons of email here and on youtube regarding this swap.I have been a bit lazy writing this write-up and it's a bit more difficult for me since i'm french speaking and i hope you wont count my typing mistake but here it is finaly lol.

new best time 13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'

Links
#1757629 - 05/01/09 11:20 PM The official manual transmission swap [Re: 2004_p71]
2004_p71 Offline

Posting Addict

Introduction

Few years ago i had the opportunity to drive and later own black&flames's 89 manual box.I still can remember the thrill of driving that car and how excited i was to drop the clutch for the first time.

Years has passed and i finaly got back that little thrill that i missed so much by doing the swap to my daily driver 04crown vic.
It sure bring it's part of challenge but it really worth each and every hour and money put in that project.

Finaly i would like to thank Jeremy (black&flames) for giving me such oportunities and all of you who have done this swap and have been very generous with your info and time quickcrownvic-quickvic30-Funkrider-Metroplex-drock96marquis

Thank you

This write-up is not an exact procedure on how to do it but should be used as a guide.I do not want to be held responsiblefor any missunderstood or mistake during the swap.
This swap should be done by an experienced mechanic with an appropriate facility.

Transmission

I have used a tremec tr-3650 transmission found in any 01/04 mustang.This transmission will handle better the hp/tq than the t-5 or t-45 found in older model but has it's own problem too.
The second gear syncro is prone to be diffucult to engage when the temperature is cold outside.Ford has made an updated part to resolve that problem and most 04 tremec should not have that problem.That transmission is rated at 360lb/tq and should be fine in most application but if you need something above that i would recomended an up-dated version who can support up to 495lb/tq (see my links at the end)

Clutch/ flywhell

For the clutch/pressure plate i went with centerforce.It is a 10 spline unit who was made for the mustang cobra.It require a bit more effort to depress the clutch but it really hold the power.
The unit is quite pricey but you cant really so shop wisely.

The flywhell is a 6 holes billet stell 1:1 ASI approved.
I have been recomemded to NOT use a billet aluminum for this application.

Clutch pedal assembly.

I went with the 01/04 mustang brake clutch pedal assembly as a starting point.The mustang cable clutch assembly cannot be used on the crown vic as is so it had to be modified to fit my existing brake pedal.

You will need to grind off the clutch pedal shaft off the mustang assembly to later weld it to the crown vic assembly.
Pay attention to the cleareance with the pcm when you will weld the shaft. Mine has abouth 1/4 inche in betewen.

The clutch pedal itself has to be modified.
You have to drill a hole approximatly one inch lower that the original position and make it square with a file.
Do not mess up with that step as is the square hole is too large the pedal will spin on the shaft.

This will make the pedal still sit lower that the two other pedal but since the fuse box is right up there you dont really have the choice. It may look weird but the feeling when you press the clutch isn't.

Since i welded the clutch shaft there is no more space for the brake light switch who was originaly mounted below the abs switch so you will have to mount your own on/off switch ditectly below the shaft or at any other convinient place.

The electric harness for the automatic is obviously no longer needed. The only wire who should remain from this harness are the one for the oxygene and vss sensors.You wil have to run 2 extra wire for the reverse light.

A pcm reprogramation (aka a tune)is mandatory for this swap.
I highly recomemded lonnie at blue oval chip. he is specialized in umique swap. (see links at the end)

Crossmember

The crossmember on any 03+ model has to be modified in order to clear the taill of the transmission.The top has to be cut as well as the front of it.
Even the lip at the bottom end of the transmission needs to be remoove
This step is quite time consuming since you will have to make sure there is absolutly no contact in betewen the two parts.
A gap of 1/4 betewen the crossmember and transmission is required since everything will move during driving condition.

Drive shaft

You need to change the 36 spline yoke for a 28 sline yoke.

A 5/8 lenght drive shaft spacer must be used since the new transmision is shorter than the 4r70w/4r75w.
Most aftermarket compagnies makes them for the mustang but be aware that they used smaller pinion flange so it will not fit the crown vic's one.
It's either you get one custom made at the local machine shop or you swap the pinion flange and joint for the mustang one.

Shifter

A rectangle of 3 by 5 inches has to be cut approximatly 3 inches from the abs module for the shifter location.
You will also have to trim a bit of the reinforcement underneath the tunel at the bottom of the rectangle to again clear the transmission.

I have used a hurst short throw shifter.The base is for obviously the tremec but the shifter itself is for the older style of mustang (the fox years).
It is close from the dash but there is plenty of space for your hand.

parts list

Tremec tr-3650 01/04 mustang
center force clutch/pressure plate
Flywheel 6 bolts
Flywheel bolts F6ZZ6379AA
clutch lever XR3Z7515AA
clutch cable XR3Z7535CA
Clutch bearing F7ZZ7548AA
pilot bearing F6ZZ7600A
Dust shield F6ZZ7513AA
Yoke 28 spline E9TZ4841A

I will up-date this write with your comments and help in order to make it as complete as possible.

If you need more info or have any question i will be glad to answer them all.
you can pm me or write me at [email protected]

Good luck with this swap.

heres some video of the final results enjoy ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PgNDNamCMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUqY8iAzhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKg-jcTZS4

#1757664 - 05/01/09 11:57 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: 2004_p71]
Spartan Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Bozeman, MT
Is there a way to include how you wired the trans in and also the clutch position sensor for the pedal assembly so that it starts like a true manual car? That would be super helpful.

#1757674 - 05/02/09 12:10 AM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: Spartan]
2004_p71 Offline

Posting Addict

there is nothing to be wired except the two wire fot the back uo light.
there is no clutch position sensor so yes the car can start even if the clutch is not depress..it,s just a matter of habit lol
i'm updating abouth every 15 min the page so stay tuned

#1758447 - 05/03/09 11:47 AM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: 2004_p71]
hotrodjcc Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: DFW, TX
Nice write up
2003 Cobra: cold air, catback,2.8in pulley, O/R upr x pipe,Accufab TB/Plenum and hurst shifter only. #5983
2014 Jeep Cherokee 5.7
2008 F-250 King Ranch 6.4 Spartan and deleted
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=576101863&ref=profile

#1758497 - 05/03/09 12:51 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: hotrodjcc]
2004_p71 Offline

Posting Addict

thank you very much

#1758559 - 05/03/09 02:32 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: 2004_p71]
BigJon Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: Virginia
excellent writeup. i cannot wait to see your car at stap.

-Gone, but not forgotten:
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis
1994 Ford Crown Victoria
2000 Ford Crown Victoria HPP
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
2004 Mercury Grand Marquis

#1758592 - 05/03/09 03:29 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: BigJon]
2004_p71 Offline

Posting Addict

Originally Posted By: BigJon
excellent writeup. i cannot wait to see your car at stap.

Thanks
I cant wait to be at stap too
it will be great to see everyone there

#1758640 - 05/03/09 04:30 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: 2004_p71]
GSDNH Offline
Banned
Over the Hill

Loc: MA
Awesome.

#1758648 - 05/03/09 04:42 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: GSDNH]
Darkmerc Offline
Climber

Loc: Toronto Canada
Nice write up, good work man.

Edited by Darkmerc (05/03/09 04:52 PM)

#1758679 - 05/03/09 05:31 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: Darkmerc]
RiceBurnt6 Offline
Poobah

Loc: SWMI
I'm so jealous! Good write up.

#1758816 - 05/03/09 08:38 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: RiceBurnt6]
93victurbo Offline
n00b

Loc: L-burg Ky.
did you have any trouble with the brake lights? i have a 93 that i out a t-45 5 speed in and my brake lights worked but when we wired up a switch for the started, now my brake lights dont work. is it a wire on the tranny that is tied into that also because i dont have anything hooked up to the tranny and i have power to the brake light switch? pm me and let me know

#1759639 - 05/04/09 10:58 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: 2004_p71]
Georges93LX Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Owensboro, Ky.
 Originally Posted By: 2004_p71
Introduction

Few years ago i had the opportunity to drive and later own black&flames's 89 manual box.I still can remember the thrill of driving that car and how excited i was to drop the clutch for the first time.

Years has passed and i finaly got back that little thrill that i missed so much by doing the swap to my daily driver 04crown vic.
It sure bring it's part of challenge but it really worth each and every hour and money put in that project.

Finaly i would like to thank Jeremy (black&flames) for giving me such oportunities and all of you who have done this swap and have been very generous with your info and time quickcrownvic-quickvic30-Funkrider-Metroplex-drock96marquis

Thank you

The bold font applies to my 1993 Crown Victoria LX

This write-up is not an exact procedure on how to do it but should be used as a guide.I do not want to be held responsiblefor any missunderstood or mistake during the swap.
This swap should be done by an experienced mechanic with an appropriate facility.

Transmission

I have used a tremec tr-3650 transmission found in any 01/04 mustang.This transmission will handle better the hp/tq than the t-5 or t-45 found in older model but has it's own problem too.
The second gear syncro is prone to be diffucult to engage when the temperature is cold outside.Ford has made an updated part to resolve that problem and most 04 tremec should not have that problem.That transmission is rated at 360lb/tq and should be fine in most application but if you need something above that i would recomended an up-dated version who can support up to 495lb/tq (see my links at the end)

I used a T45 from a 1996 Mustang.Borg Warner T-45 5 speed manual transmission has an aluminum alloy gear case, tail housing and bell housing.

The T45 is used only behind the 4.6L Mustangs from 1996 to 1999. Tremec replaced the T-45 with the Tremec 3650 in 2000. It has single rail gear selector and carbon lined steel synchronizer rings.

The T-45 installed in the 1996-1998 GT Mustangs is different than the Cobra Mustangs. The transmission mount position and speedo gear are the main differences.

The Mustang Cobra T-45 has a 7 tooth speedo gear.
The Mustang GT T45 has an 8 tooth speedo gear

In 1999 all T-45's were changed to the Cobra specs.

The T45 case casting number is 1381

Standard gear ratios on the Borg Warner T45 and Tremec T45:

1st Gear: 3.37
2nd Gear: 1.99
3rd Gear: 1.33
4th Gear: 1.00
5th Gear: 0.67
Rev Gear: 3.22

The Mustang T45 has an input torque rating of 325 ft-lb

Clutch/ flywhell

For the clutch/pressure plate i went with centerforce.It is a 10 spline unit who was made for the mustang cobra.It require a bit more effort to depress the clutch but it really hold the power.
The unit is quite pricey but you cant really so shop wisely.

The flywhell is a 6 holes billet stell 1:1 ASI approved.
I have been recomemded to NOT use a billet aluminum for this application.

I started to go witha King Cobra clutch but found a sweet deal on a new take-out. The flywheel was nodular iron witha stock factory clutch.

Clutch pedal assembly.

I went with the 01/04 mustang brake clutch pedal assembly as a starting point.The mustang cable clutch assembly cannot be used on the crown vic as is so it had to be modified to fit my existing brake pedal.

I tried using the Mustang pedal assembly with the backplate from the Crown Vic welded onto it. Too much time and energy wasted try to get everthing to line up.

You will need to grind off the clutch pedal shaft off the mustang assembly to later weld it to the crown vic assembly.
Pay attention to the cleareance with the pcm when you will weld the shaft. Mine has abouth 1/4 inche in betewen.

This is the same thing I did.

The clutch pedal itself has to be modified.
You have to drill a hole approximatly one inch lower that the original position and make it square with a file.
Do not mess up with that step as is the square hole is too large the pedal will spin on the shaft.

I did NOT do this.

This will make the pedal still sit lower that the two other pedal but since the fuse box is right up there you dont really have the choice. It may look weird but the feeling when you press the clutch isn't.

Since i welded the clutch shaft there is no more space for the brake light switch who was originaly mounted below the abs switch so you will have to mount your own on/off switch ditectly below the shaft or at any other convinient place.

I cut and welded the brake and clutch pedal to sit where I wanted it. Some people will not cut these and no shop will do it either because of liability issuses.

The electric harness for the automatic is obviously no longer needed. The only wire who should remain from this harness are the one for the oxygene and vss sensors.You wil have to run 2 extra wire for the reverse light.

A pcm reprogramation (aka a tune)is mandatory for this swap.
I highly recomemded lonnie at blue oval chip. he is specialized in umique swap. (see links at the end)

I have the OBD1 system and did NOT need a reprogramming.

Crossmember

The crossmember on any 03+ model has to be modified in order to clear the taill of the transmission.The top has to be cut as well as the front of it.
Even the lip at the bottom end of the transmission needs to be remoove
This step is quite time consuming since you will have to make sure there is absolutly no contact in betewen the two parts.
A gap of 1/4 betewen the crossmember and transmission is required since everything will move during driving condition.

I did not have to do any of this.

Drive shaft

You need to change the 36 spline yoke for a 28 sline yoke.

A 5/8 lenght drive shaft spacer must be used since the new transmision is shorter than the 4r70w/4r75w.
Most aftermarket compagnies makes them for the mustang but be aware that they used smaller pinion flange so it will not fit the crown vic's one.
It's either you get one custom made at the local machine shop or you swap the pinion flange and joint for the mustang one.

If you have an LX model you will not need the spacer.

Shifter

A rectangle of 3 by 5 inches has to be cut approximatly 3 inches from the abs module for the shifter location.
You will also have to trim a bit of the reinforcement underneath the tunel at the bottom of the rectangle to again clear the transmission.

I have used a hurst short throw shifter.The base is for obviously the tremec but the shifter itself is for the older style of mustang (the fox years).
It is close from the dash but there is plenty of space for your hand.

I used a stock shifter for a short period but found a Hurst stick that I liked. I swapped stick and now have more room.

parts list

Tremec tr-3650 01/04 mustang
center force clutch/pressure plate
Flywheel 6 bolts
Flywheel bolts F6ZZ6379AA
clutch lever XR3Z7515AA
clutch cable XR3Z7535CA
Clutch bearing F7ZZ7548AA
pilot bearing F6ZZ7600A
Dust shield F6ZZ7513AA
Yoke 28 spline E9TZ4841A

I will up-date this write with your comments and help in order to make it as complete as possible.

If you need more info or have any question i will be glad to answer them all.
you can pm me or write me at [email protected]

Good luck with this swap.
All the guys mentioned were my inspiration to get this done and I have had more fun, positive comments and questions than you can imagine.

heres some video of the final results enjoy ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PgNDNamCMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUqY8iAzhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKg-jcTZS4

#1760589 - 05/06/09 08:49 AM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: Georges93LX]
JaxRhapsody Offline
Climber

Loc: Louisville,KY
Wiring up a NSS shouldnt be that hard. I like this, a good basis for me, whenever I can get one.

Originally Posted By gplayer
"You find out you can handle the corners with the agility of a bobcat!"
While they show scenes of the car sliding through the corners, looking like the door handle is about to touch the road.

#1763953 - 05/10/09 06:51 PM Re: The official manual transmission swap [Re: JaxRhapsody]
tumbler33 Offline
n00b

Loc: Dallas, Texas
im 14 so go easy on me but would that tranny work ok with a 5.4

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 244 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 362
bluejay_32 324
a_d_a_m 231
Rainbowpizza 167
DudeAbides 149
JeffBoudah 124
Moby_Vic 111
Old_Guy_Stu 77
BigNSlow 69
Bangster 62
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!