Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1776776 - 05/28/09 03:59 AM Dealing with broken seat bolts - by Nomad8326
dRock96Marquis Offline

Posting Addict

Loc: Maryland
If you live in an area that uses chloride salt on the roadways during winter months chances are you will break a seat bolt or two when trying to remove the front seat assemblies in your panther platform vehicle.

This article describes one method of dealing with the extraction and replacement of the broken bolts and replacing with suitable hardware.

The following article was authored by Nomad8326
===================================================

How to replace broken seat bolts.

First you will need a few tools.
  • BFH aka 8lb sledge
  • Drill w/assorted bits
  • Punch(Something you can hold and hit if the bolt is snapped off to far down)
  • Grade 8 and above hardware(unless you like the idea of having the seat snap off in a wreck)

First remove the seats and the carpet at least far enough to access the bolts.

Now the simplicity of this method takes hold.

BASH the exposed bolt with the BFH. Drill a notch for the punch to hit if you need to use one. 3/4 bolts are held on only 3 spot welds.

once you get it knocked loose you will end up with this.

and these.

Now if you get unlucky like I did you will break the Beefy bolt on the rear inside corner of both seats.

I applied the same method with some success but it took longer. The regular bolts came out in 5 min. The beefy sucker to about a hour of pound before the crash bracket gave way. After I got the bracket removed to were I could work on it I drilled out the welds. (so no pics of the crash bracket drilling was in a rush)

Ended up with this after a little paint.

I then drilled out a few of the spot welds so I could insert tapping screws with less effort.

Notice all the holes in the floor form the weld being stronger then the metal.

I bolted up the main seat bolt to hold it will i inserted 3 tapping screws.

I then proceeded to fill all the holes with some silicone.

After your done letting it dry put the carpet back in then bolt up your seats. You will probably want a assistant for this part. I preferred positioning the bolts upwards so if I have to do this again they hardware hasn't been hanging exposed and having to start all over again.

I recommend using grade 8 Bolts or above. YOU DO NOT WANT these snapping on you in a wreck.

I spent $13 on three 19mm x ~2" long 8.8 metric bolts and nuts and a handful of washers to spread out the pressure.

On the crash bracket bolt I used 2 washers on top and 2 on bottom. The other 2 bolts received 1 washer for each side.

------Courtesy Nomad8326

Edited by dRock96Marquis (03/10/10 02:16 AM)

Former owner of a Grand Marquis with a few mods, Grand Marquis "LSE S/C"

#1777392 - 05/28/09 07:16 PM Re: Dealing with broken seat bolts - by Nomad8324 [Re: dRock96Marquis]
2vmodular Offline

Poobah

Loc: New England
to remove the seat bolts in these cars, i've had good luck:

-spraying the top side of the bolts with pentrant oil
-getting under the car and spraying the underside of the bolts with pentrant oil
-wait a day, and reapply pentrant oil

-setting the pressure regulator on an air compressor really low
-using pneumatic air impact wrench to try to spin the bolts
-you will feel the wrench vibrate and the bolts not turn
-gradually turn the pressure regulator upwards and continue letting the hammer action of the air wrench do it's work until the bolts start to turn
-when reinstalling the seat, dispose of the original front two seat bolts and use new ones.

just using a pneumatic impact air wrench at full pressure works sometimes. but you're much more likely to snap the bolt heads off of the bolt.

should also add that sometimes, the thick washer on the underside of the floorpan breaks free and spins when you attempt to turn the bolt. you can use a pair of visegrip pliers to hold it stationary in such situations. be careful you don't crimp your fingers with the pliers though.

http://www.p71interceptor.com

#1784504 - 06/07/09 06:10 AM Re: Dealing with broken seat bolts - by Nomad8324 [Re: 2vmodular]
2vmodular Offline

Poobah

if you break off the seat bolts, you can also drill out the broken bolt and retap the hole a little oversize (instead of breaking the thick washer off of the back of the floorpan sheetmetal with a big hammer)

for drilling, you'll want quality c.o.b.a.l.t drill bits. the cheap t.i.t.a.n.i.u.m ones that you can purchase at autozone don't seem to work too well for this project.

also make sure that you lubricate the tap, and back it out frequently to clean out the scraps of metal. you don't want to break off a high carbon steel tap in the hole.

#1794276 - 06/19/09 04:22 AM Re: Dealing with broken seat bolts - by Nomad8324 [Re: 2vmodular]
2vmodular Offline

Poobah

here's a picture of the underside of the floorpan in a 1998 crown victoria. note that 1997 vehicles have slightly different front seat mount brackets on the underside of the floorpan.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/driveshaft/pictures/PICT9464.jpg

#1794277 - 06/19/09 04:23 AM Re: Dealing with broken seat bolts - by Nomad8324 [Re: 2vmodular]
2vmodular Offline

Poobah

here's a closeup of the crash bracket that the front seatbelt latch mounts to.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/driveshaft/pictures/PICT9640.jpg

Moderator:  88grandmarq, BigMerc96, RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
1 registered (Davidzq), 37 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 97
Armada Master 86
JeffBoudah 83
Old_Guy_Stu 74
Moby_Vic 59
Dmblanch 57
DudeAbides 48
a_d_a_m 47
SocalSam 43
Ponyguy 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!