Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#1801412 - 06/29/09 06:44 PM Replacing intake issues
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: /root
I got my ADTR PI intake manifold Friday and today I decided to begin work on installing it. Progress was slow moving, however, but I am down to just a few problems I need help resolving.

1) I can not for the life of me get the black metal piece that is over the driver side fuel rail. It comes up from the rear of the engine and over the back 1/3 of the fuel rail and prevents me from extracting the last bolt holding on the fuel rail. One form of instructions I read said that I have to remove the wiper blade housing and wipers - is this necessary for that reason? No way around it?

2) The electrical connectors to each of the fuel injectors had a clip you press in to release it from the injector. 6 out of the 8 had the clips broken off in the process. I was even careful when I dod them and can't figure out how they broke. Anyway, now there is nothing actually holding them onto the fuel injectors. Would some sort of tape suffice? I really really really do not want to buy and replace the wiring for these.

3) The fuel injectors are pretty dirty on the outisde where they were sitting in their wells on the manifold. Would carb cleaner be safe on these parts? I am going to go to the Autozone again tomorrow to get 16 new o-rings for them since they're pretty bad looking too.

4) How do I get the water pump pulley off? I took the belt and alternator off already. Did I screw up? Should I have left that on while there was tension on the belt so I can get the bolts off? My futile attempts to get it off with the help of my two friends thus far have been unsuccessful since the entire pulley would turn.

Thanks for your help.

Links
#1801416 - 06/29/09 06:54 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
LTDteether Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Democratic Rep. of Southpaw
2) The consensus here is that they do that. Mine have been running for a few thou without the clips with no problems.

#1801421 - 06/29/09 07:09 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: LTDteether]
Bangster Offline

Poobah

Loc: Tucson Az
1) I removed the wiper motor/tray/assembly, 15 minutes of work for infinitely easier job to remove the crash bracket. I tried to do it without removing it and it wasn't going well, that bracket pisses me off and was even harder to put back on when done since I didn't do it in the right order, but I put it back on, I don't plan on having the intake off again.

2) I would guess that 0 of the 16 injector connectors on my 2 4.6 powered cars have the little piece of plastic that was supposed to hold them in place. I did recently finally have an issue with one, it wasn't enough to set a code so I didn't know which one was trouble, finally the wife is on vacation driving in 110 degree weather and it finally decides to be bad enough to cause the car to misfire and throw a code. Just had the codes scanned and told brother in law which one one to check (I figured it was a COP, I have spare in the car). He just checked it and all was good. I might try to get them back in, I have a baggie full of them.

3) eh, I have no opinion on this, sometimes clean isn't the best.

4) I am pretty sure I used a screw driver across the front of the pulley between two other bolt heads, and got them all loose before removing, that was awhile ago, but it ended up not being a big deal.

#1801434 - 06/29/09 07:36 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: Bangster]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Alright, well sounds like I will be taking the wiper assembly off then! And good idea with the screw driver in the pulley. Thanks guys. I won't be able to get back to it until tomorrow but will report in with how it goes.

#1801977 - 06/30/09 02:26 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Oh noes! A few more problems. My main problem is getting the water pump off. There are only 4 bolts, right? I took off 4 bolts, pretty sure they're the right ones. The instructions say to use a a screwdriver and pry at a tab in a notch. I do not see what the instructions are talking about.

My other question to you guys is how dirty should the intake holes on the heads look? Mine are black. I got as much off as I could with carb cleaner and a brush. That good enough? The old intake manifold looked covered in oil on the inside. Is this normal? The PCV valve has been replaced just last year.

#1801986 - 06/30/09 02:42 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
Crown Nick Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Houston, TX
1) You don't have to remove the wiper assembly but it makes life a lot easier. I've done it both ways, and as easy as it is to remove the wiper assembly...you made a wise decision.

2)Zip ties on the ones with broken tabs.

4)Hammer on it with a rubber mallet. Should begin to knock it loose. Once a gap presents itself, use a screw driver to wedge it away from the block.

#1802005 - 06/30/09 03:16 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: Crown Nick]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Zip ties is a pretty good idea.

But my major problem right now is getting the water pump removed. I have been hitting it with a raubber mallot for an hour now and trying to pry. My biggest screwdriver is now broken after trying with all my might to break this beast.

Anyone have any other ideas? What harm could I experience if I don't replace the coolant nipple and just replace the PI coolant tube on the onld nipple?

#1802045 - 06/30/09 04:26 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
Crown Nick Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Houston, TX
Are you positive you have removed the correct 4 bolts for the water pump? What I'm getting at...you sure you didn't accidentally remove one of the timing cover bolts by mistake? Double check. I've heard of some stubborn water pumps before, but beating it for an hour and you've broken a screwdriver???...sounds like it might still be bolted to the block.

In regards to the nipple, IIRC there were some nPI coolant tubes that mated with an upgraded style nipple which were used on the PIs. But honestly, most likely you have the old style which will not be compatible with the new coolant tube, so I would replace the nipple, especially considering how inexpensive it is.

#1802052 - 06/30/09 04:38 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: Crown Nick]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

It's inexpensive itself, but after having to replace a water pump for $40 or so if this one is no good after removing it, then it adds up.

But yes I am sure the bolts removed were for the pump. One of the bolts I losened originally was an incorrent bolt, but I caught that before taking it out.

I'm getting to the point of just bolting everything back on as-is and giving up on this since I need the car as it's my only form of transportation if my friends aren't around. I'd really hate to do that though and waste this time and money.

#1802328 - 06/30/09 11:28 PM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Well I am sad to say that I have given up (for now). I have been doing this yesterday and today in my apartment parking lot with some help from my friends who never even changed their own oil before.

I put the old manifold back on, but atleast got a coolant change out of it. Now I seem to be leaking a slight bit of coolant, but not enough to worry about, atleast that I've seen tonight. And a cylinder is missing, but I probably need to replace a COP or 2 so I will do that tomorrow.

In the mean time, is there any ideas as to how to get the old water pump off? By the way, after breaking a screw driver and the rubber mallot getting nowhere, I resorted to the good old hammer and even though I was pounding the hell out of it, it did not budge a bit after fifteen minutes or so. Infact, the hammer head and the water pump body was just deforming.

I am open to any ideas. Even if they are to go to the dealer and have them put on a new one so I can easily remove it later.

#1802386 - 07/01/09 12:22 AM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
Spartan Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Bozeman, MT
It is probably corroded with coolant residue. Use a small butane torch and begin to heat it up. It will start to sweat. That should start to loosen things up. Hit top, bottom, left, right with the hammerso it doesn't bind. Worse case, you can just leave the old nipple in there (if the pump isnt shot by now) and use NAPA gold hose, use a couple hose clamps to clamp it and two more on the bend in front of the manifold to maintain shape and not let it collapse. I ran my setup like that with no problems. If your pump is corroded like that, your nipple will be too probably. If it is, don't worry about riping it apart. use the torch again and then when it does rip apart, use a socket thats the right diameter to fit in the hole and pound the snot out of it after the heat from the engine valley through the water pump hole. It will come out.

#1802665 - 07/01/09 11:23 AM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: Spartan]
BlueFusion Offline
Over the Hill

Well I don't one of those torches but perhaps I can find a friend who does. The water pump still works fine and have the car running again with the old manifold. I'm going to Ford dealership today to get a new COP since one is not firing and I'll see what they say about it.

#1803338 - 07/02/09 08:49 AM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: BlueFusion]
MrEvil Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Austin TX
As for the oily grime on the intake. That's normal with any engine that has a PCV system. Vapors from the crankcase are funneled back into the intake to be burned. This results in some oily build-up. My Powerstroke is EXCEPTIONALLY bad about it, and I've contemplated converting it to a road-draft setup like Navistar uses on the T444E.
1961 Ford F100

#1804651 - 07/04/09 02:55 AM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: MrEvil]
49flathead Offline
n00b

Loc: SoCal
When I changed out my water pump I had to beat the hell out of the old one with a 3-lb hammer. Just beat on it from side to side with about 20 whacks and it finally loosened up. Since I was replacing it I didn't care about damaging the old one. '93 CV

#1804743 - 07/04/09 09:47 AM Re: Replacing intake issues [Re: 49flathead]
Chevyguy Offline

Poobah

Loc: Winchester Mass
This is one of my best tools, a mini Sledge with a short handle

I had to wack mine quite a bit to get it off.

protip.. Make sure ALL the bolts were removed. First try I pulled one of the front cover bolts by accident.

The Oring seal gets good and gucked up. Mine was leaking via the Oring, the pump itself was still ok. Bang on the pump good directly on the hub, change directions of the blows as the pump housing is a circle so you have to "wiggle it out"

Even after pounding on the hub it did not break the pump. I was lucky as my new FORD pump was the wrong type so I had to put the old one back on for 2 weeks. I stoled the new O ring, cleaned up the flange and the old pump worked fine!!

I considered just returning the new pump, but figured 165K miles plus a beating with the 3# hammer took most of the life of the pump.

New Daily 2016 Dodge Charger R/T Road and track, purchase with 16K now 23K after 3 months. 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed ZF trans 3.06 open rear 13.98 @ 99.2 mph 4740 lbs with driver!!

R.I.P Photobucket 10 years of hosting down the drain

Project car 74 Chevy Laguna type S-3, # match 400 SBC

Previous rides
93 P-71 2001 P-73, 94 TC Exec, 96 TC Signature, 04 LX

Who's Online
9 registered (Noodles, NIGHTHAWK, Becker34, Bellwestern80, 3 invisible), 65 Guests and 250 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CrystalPistol 365
bluejay_32 309
a_d_a_m 224
Rainbowpizza 185
DudeAbides 154
JeffBoudah 120
Moby_Vic 106
Old_Guy_Stu 78
Bangster 61
BigNSlow 60
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!