Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 70 71 >
Topic Options
#1874102 - 10/02/09 05:11 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: ElBlue89]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: ElBlue89
Cool project, welcome aboard! It's neat that you're jumping into it right away, look forward to see the progress you make. Keep up with the photos \:\)

Out of curiosity, was the coolant you drained out of the radiator really that rusty, or was it Dex-Cool red coolant to being with? I'm just wondering because if that was green or yellow coolant I'm amazed at how bad it looks.

As for the window tint options, of the 3 choices you gave I'd go with the first one also. But depending on the body color you choose, I might prefer a combination of the 1st and 3rd options like this:

Hi Elblue89.
Not sure whether the coolant used to be red or not, but it looked pretty rusty to me! Better out than in though! Even if it is dexcool.

Plenty of photos coming I can tell ya!
Andy.

#1874106 - 10/02/09 05:23 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: 88grandmarq]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: 88grandmarq
you mentioned a wet spot on the passenger floor board... judging from the looks of the cooling system, I would bet the heater core is corroded and leaking. same with the radiator, if its leaking, replace it.

some other tune up/maintainence items I would suggest; replace the PCV valve, screen and grommett. these are located in the center of the lower intake manifold at the rear of the engine.

also replace the fuel filter... located on the passenger frame rail, just in front of the rear tire.

Hi 88grandmarq.
Thanks for your comments. I didn't know about the breather at the back, but it explains why it is pretty oily back there! I have just ordered a new plenum gasket, so will do that while it is off. Fuel filter is also on its way.
Regarding the heater core, I ran the engine up filled with clean water and went for a drive but there was no sign of leakage. Once the antifreeze is in I will give it a good check out. Considering the coolant was very brown when it came out of the heater core, I would have thought there would be brown stains around the heter box and on the carpet. But nothing. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
Andy.

#1874113 - 10/02/09 05:43 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: PseudoBoat]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: PseudoBoat
I like the second, looks modern.

I'm curious about the door lock motors when you say you rebuilt them... most of us around here buy new ones, but they are expensive. I wonder if you could detail how you get them apart/back together again, etc.

Hi PseudoBoat.
I uncrimp the end of the metal casing and pull out the innards. Do the same for the others and swap parts. Then glue the end back on! I'll try and get a photo or two for you.
Andy.

#1874753 - 10/03/09 04:40 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Right, the next exciting installment. Rear brakes.
I know the last owner said the front calipers had been changed, and a handbrake cable, but nothing about the rear brakes. So lets have a look

Centre cap off on passenger side. Doesn't look too bad.

First view of the drum. Rusty, but not too bad.

Drum off, doesn't look too bad.

Shoes okay, lets have a closer look at the slave cylinder.

Shoes off to have an even closer look at the cylinder. Doesn't look damp.

Lets get the dust cover off and really see what it's like.

Oh dear, lets have a look at the other side

Well I'm not a pro mechanic but that I don't like and the LH piston is stuck solid. So, onto the bench we go, Extract the pistons with compressed air and a hammer, and this is what we have

Serious clean up and the cylinder and seals are not too bad, so its rebuild time. Now I have rebuilt loads of slaves over the years by cleaning up the seals and cylinders and having no problems, so lets try it again. New ones ordered just in case (18 each + VAT - US Automotive).

All put back and brake bleeding time. Time to call in my lady Wife to monitor the and top up the level in the master cylinder.
Now I have seen some funny colour brake fluid, but this looks like stagnant pond water or is it LHM fluid. In fact I had to check the M/C cap to make sure it is brake fluid and not LHM fluid!

Heres where its starting to look a bit cleaner

Heres my trusty mityvac in operation and a comparison between the old and new fluid.

Other side tomorrow, but a last look at the wagon before I have a well deserved rest!

Oh, forgot to mention. Nobody told me it has self levelling rear suspension!

I wondered what that compressor on the front LH inner fender was!!

Front brakes check next. Last owner said these had been changed, and there is a spare new one in the back.

Andy.

#1874790 - 10/03/09 05:54 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
PseudoBoat Offline

Loc: Toronto
Right, definitely that's the basic procedure. I guess my question relates to how to uncrimp it. I've been tempted to use a rotary tool with a cutting wheel to basically cut the crimp off... so far I've just bought new ones off ebay for cheap, but they don't last very long.
3G Alt Upgrade
Shorty Headers

#1875238 - 10/04/09 02:40 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: PseudoBoat]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Repeated all he above on the other side, and moved to the front drivers side.

Wheel off

to reveal.......

new caliper, disc, pads and flexy line. Good news.

Well, not all good, because the plastic dust shield behind the disc has melted and deformed

So, the caliper and disc had to come off to extract it.

Order one of those later.

have a look at this photo of the drop link, and more specifically the bushes that have perished.
Something else for the order book!

Have a close look where the link goes through the lower control arm. The hole has worn oval. i will remove that and weld it up in my next holidays (3 weeks time).

Some of my parts should be arriving tomorrow, so I may be able to get the engine together in time for a test run and then the plenum coming off and the PCV valve. grommet and screen to be replaced.

Andy.

#1875880 - 10/05/09 09:37 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
Jeff2 Offline
Poobah

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
I like this project. Keep us updated.
1991 Crown Victoria LX (sold) - Had something like 160k miles on the original 302W and AOD trans. The odometer gears broke at a bit over 100k miles, so miles were calculated by gallons of gas times prior average MPG.

#1876265 - 10/05/09 04:56 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: Jeff2]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: Jeff2
I like this project. Keep us updated.

No problems Jeff2.

Some parts arrived today, and I'm still dismantling!!

Top box contains the official thick workshop manual ($20 for the book and $45 shipping!!).
Bottom box is from US Automotive and contains plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil, air and fuel filter, thermostat, rad cap, AC/PS serpentine belt and intake gaskets (plenum and 2 inlet to head). Well, I hope they are in there! Not checked yet.

Back to the car:
Removed battery and noticed that the battery tray is an extension of the plastic inner wing and reinforced by steel bracing underneath. This is the remains of that support

Need to make one of those then, Should be straightforward, then I will stand the battery on one of those battery mats.

Over to the plenum. Major oil leak back there and I bet its the PCV valve.
Here are better views with the plenum removed.

Got some serious cleaning up to do there!

And guess what? The PCV valve was off its seat. Excessive crankcase pressure? Tell me it aint so!!!

Andy.

#1876293 - 10/05/09 05:46 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Your doing great so far!

Alex.

#1876385 - 10/05/09 07:45 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: GM_Guy]
Al Von Offline

Loc: Smithville, Ohio
This story is fantastic! Maybe the Admin will make it a sticky under maintenance! Hint, hint...

#1876398 - 10/05/09 08:02 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: Al Von]
interceptor1985 Offline
Poobah

Loc: OREGON
You can upgrade to bigger brakes and rear disks ya know:) BUT you'll need larger wheels 16" or bigger (no more then 20's please!)

#1876470 - 10/05/09 09:30 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
 Originally Posted By: andyfanshawe

Well, not all good, because the plastic dust shield behind the disc has melted and deformed

Order one of those later.

Andy.

It's common for the caliper to hang or stick and cause the front brakes to catch on fire.... judging by the picture of the backing plate, I would say thats what happened to your car.
backing plate is not super important, removing it will allow more heat to escape.
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

#1876478 - 10/05/09 09:39 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
 Originally Posted By: andyfanshawe

Got some serious cleaning up to do there!

And guess what? The PCV valve was off its seat. Excessive crankcase pressure? Tell me it aint so!!!

Andy.

Fairly common problem there... the rubber grommett gets hard and brittle, then the breather screen under the valve clogs and it popps the PCV out.

take a long (4"-6") dry wall or decking screw and screw into the hole where the PCV goes, then yank the screen out with some pliers... you will be amazed at the junk in there.
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

#1876625 - 10/06/09 12:27 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: 88grandmarq]
89LTDBoy Offline
Over the Hill

Good work! All this makes me miss my box even more. \:\( My interior was the same color, but with the older dash of course.

#1876627 - 10/06/09 12:28 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: 88grandmarq]
89LTDBoy Offline
Over the Hill

Where do you get auto parts in the UK?

Edited by 89LTDBoy (10/06/09 12:30 AM)

Page 2 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 70 71 >

Who's Online
4 registered (CrystalPistol, Dmblanch, TheCableGuy, Freddy12189), 63 Guests and 254 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 223
a_d_a_m 78
Old_Guy_Stu 64
DudeAbides 60
av8or1 58
ClayBelt 46
Davidzq 41
RF_Overlord 39
Moby_Vic 33
BlackNFast 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!