Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 3 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 70 71 >
Topic Options
#1876876 - 10/06/09 12:04 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: GM_Guy]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: GM_Guy
Your doing great so far!

Alex.

Thanks GM_Guy. Much appreciated.

Andy.

#1876882 - 10/06/09 12:09 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: interceptor1985]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: interceptor999
You can upgrade to bigger brakes and rear disks ya know:) BUT you'll need larger wheels 16" or bigger (no more then 20's please!)

Thanks interceptor999.
The upgrades will come when the mechanicals and electricals are in good order (few weeks only).
Wheels will most likely be 20's. Definitely not bigger that that. Rear discs would be nice, but a constraining factor is that I am in the UK! No junkyards round here with crown vics in!

Luckily I have a very understanding friend in SoCal who will ship me bits over.

Thanks for the advice. Greatly needed. I bow down to your superior knowledge of these cars.
Andy.

#1876884 - 10/06/09 12:14 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: 88grandmarq]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: 88grandmarq
 Originally Posted By: andyfanshawe

Got some serious cleaning up to do there!

And guess what? The PCV valve was off its seat. Excessive crankcase pressure? Tell me it aint so!!!

Andy.

Fairly common problem there... the rubber grommett gets hard and brittle, then the breather screen under the valve clogs and it popps the PCV out.

take a long (4"-6") dry wall or decking screw and screw into the hole where the PCV goes, then yank the screen out with some pliers... you will be amazed at the junk in there.

Fantastic advice 88grandmarq. Just the input I am needing. Thank you very much.

I will do exactly what you say with the PCV valve, grommet and screen.

I got a mental picture of the under fender fire centred around the caliper! Scarey.

Andy.

#1876889 - 10/06/09 12:17 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: 89LTDBoy]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By: 89LTDBoy
Good work! All this makes me miss my box even more. \:\( My interior was the same color, but with the older dash of course.

Hi 89LTDBoy.
We have quite a few parts warehouses that stock many parts here in the UK. Crown vics are well catered for luckily.

What happened to your box? My apologies if it makes you feel sad.

Andy.

#1877001 - 10/06/09 02:55 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Heres a photo of the PCV valve and its grommet and the screen thats underneath.

As you can tell from this picture of the grommet, someone has tried to glue it in. You can see the glue on the top section.

I'll get one of them ordered tomorrow. PCV valve is clear now and screen has been degreased and blown through with 150 psi air line.

I have sprayed the heavily oiled area (even down to the transmission and beyond) with degreaser and I will leave it overnight to soak in. Careful application of water and air, and it should be a lot cleaner. Then its valve covers off and on with new gaskets. Trouble is my Wife says I absolutely stink now due to the degreaser, so I got thrown out of the house to get changed!!

Have a close look at the passenger side rear light. It should be secured down with 4 screws. There is actually only 1 left!!

Easy fix though!

Heres a couple of photos of the front leather seats. The drivers has a split in it where the leather has dried out, and the passenger is just about to go as well. Got a leather expert out yesterday who confirmed the leather was irrepairable and neede replacing. Matching the colour won't be a problem. Cost? Well, I asked if i could help do it to cut down the cost and he agreed. Should be somewhere near £300 to replace the bases of the front seats and dye and condition the rest.

Andy.

#1877525 - 10/07/09 07:15 AM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Loc: Indiana
My Wife says I absolutely stink now due to the degreaser, so I got thrown out of the house to get changed!!

Andy.

LOL... that's a daily occurance here !

I really need my own wash room to get cleaned up and changed before I come into the house.
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/Ford-transmission-repairs-Jmod-348414635312478/

#1878707 - 10/08/09 04:34 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Spent an interesting 2 nights with a can of degreaser, a hose, a rag and an airline! Can't believe how much oil is on this engine and behind it!

Heres a quick shot of the various vacuum pipes behind the plenum as a result of the pcv valve losing its grip!

And guess what, I can't locate a PCV valve grommet in the UK. So Rockauto it is, at $1.71 for the part and $23 shipping! Phew! I'm so jealous of you guys in the US!

Right, how about a before and after photo

Before

After

A bit cleaner eh? And far smellier! Can't wait for the headers to burn that lot off!

Next job while I'm waiting for the grommet to arrive? Valve cover gaskets.

Valve cover removed and it's looking pretty black in there

On to the bench, and all cleaned up for the new gasket.

Other one tomorrow.

Xmas came early today!

and my youngest popping his head in to see

Future cutom car builder?

Radiator arrived in the UK from Rockauto in 4 days! $83 for the rad and $120 shipping. Bit better ratio than the grommet.
Very difficult to get one from the UK. Most don't stock it and require a couple of weeks delivery!

Andy.

#1878744 - 10/08/09 05:43 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
89LTDBoy Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By: 89LTDBoy
Good work! All this makes me miss my box even more. \:\( My interior was the same color, but with the older dash of course.

Hi 89LTDBoy.
We have quite a few parts warehouses that stock many parts here in the UK. Crown vics are well catered for luckily.

What happened to your box? My apologies if it makes you feel sad.

Andy.

Very cool! Always like to see an old box get new life. \:\)

My box was actually my parents, it began to have issues and they decided they didn't want me to have it at the last minute.

It is 4 years ago today since I last saw it. \:\(

But anyway, looks like yours is really coming along! Mine had those same color leather seats. It ended up ripping too one day; when I heard the sound at first I thought I split my pants. \:\)

#1880284 - 10/10/09 03:31 PM Re: New big ford owner in UK - project resto/lowrider [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Interesting day today! My dad broke down in his Yaris (left his lights on), our caravan started to show signs of water droplets inside and our big Ford (renamed project Marmite by my good lady Wife-for obvious reasons!!) made a few more tentative steps to a fire up and reliability.

So, inbetween rescuing my dad and stripping the caravan down, I managed to do a few jobs on the car.

First was the replacing of the valve covers with the new gaskets. But, not quite as simple as it seemed because there is a bracket at the back of the drivers side valve cover that secures some wiring multiplug connectors. And its rusty.

Needs a good clean up and repaint. So, out with the media blaster

Here it is after blasting

Etch primer next

Then painted black and reinstalled.

Next? Engine bay clean up of unecessary bits. ie thermactor components and brackets (not needed for our emission tests and badly mangled up. Pipes are rusty and full of holes, air pump is noisy in operation, pipes have rotted off the catalytic converters, 1 has been plugged but the other hasn't!

These are the remains after a bit of cutting and pulling!

This is the pipe that connects to the back of the heads to exhaust passages

#1880292 - 10/10/09 03:44 PM Project Marmite! [Re: andyfanshawe]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

This was the pipe as it was in place

Now I just can't leave the holes in the back of the heads, so it's out with the hacksaw and a bit of gas welding

Heres one already welded and one about to be

My Wife caught me in action!

That leaves the bracket for the diverter valve to be shifted and the bracket that use to hold one of the pipes. All located on the passenger side exhaust manifold studs.

All not been moved for 19 years and seriously rusted.
Theres only 1 wrench that will move them, and here it is (a hot wrench!)-nuts already removed

Sorry its not in action, but i would probably set the car on fire while taking the photo!

Heres the new space minus brackets

Battery tray reinforcement next.

Andy,

#1880677 - 10/11/09 01:09 AM Re: Project Marmite! [Re: andyfanshawe]
Colt45 Offline
less is moreļæ½
Poobah

Loc: Moses Lake, Wa
Coming along nice. I like the little details like painting that bracket.
What do other people think of your BIG Ford over there?

2004 Ford Crown Vic LX, 89k "Tank" (Totaled 12/06/15 22:30 PST)
2002 Ford Crown Vic PI, 201k "Highwayman" (Ex-Kootenai County, ID Unit #42) - Down for bad engine
2003 Ford Crown Vic PI, 98k "Name TBD"

#1880715 - 10/11/09 02:09 AM Re: Project Marmite! [Re: Colt45]
andyfanshawe Offline
Climber

Hi Colt45.
My neighbours can't believe the size of the car! Its like nothing we see over here. There is supposedly 1 more country squire in the UK, and I have already spoke to the owner. he thought his was the only one!
The roads are just about wide enough for the car (just!), but the parking spaces at local shopping malls, multi storey car parks, supermarkets etc, certainly aren't big enough though. But i don't care!

My Wife has nicknamed it project marmite (do you get marmite over there?) because the adverts say you either love it or hate it. At the mo I think it is ugly, but that will change, but opinions are extreme. Ranging from looking really bad to a lovely old boat!
The wood effect sides and all the chrome trim are a real eyesore (too much for the eyes). Its clear up time soon though.

Thanks for the question though. Your car would look lovely here and turn a few heads.

Andy.

#1880789 - 10/11/09 09:47 AM Re: Project Marmite! [Re: andyfanshawe]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
 Quote:
The wood effect sides and all the chrome trim are a real eyesore (too much for the eyes). Its clear up time soon though.

Surely the woodgrain makes it even more unique in the UK. =-)

Alex.

#1880798 - 10/11/09 10:00 AM Re: Project Marmite! [Re: andyfanshawe]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

Heres one already welded and one about to be

Andy,

Fantastic work..... However, all you had to do was cut the ends off the air pipe and flip them around (with the flat side against the head) I usually dab a little silicone on there and bolt them down. Never had one leak.

#1880809 - 10/11/09 10:15 AM Re: Project Marmite! [Re: 88grandmarq]
88grandmarq Offline

4R70W rebuilder
Poobah

I see you cut the air pipe off at the cat converters too.
make sure you seal those holes off or you will have a big exhaust leak.

Usually, I cut the pipe and leave a 2" nipple, squeeze it flat with a big set of pliers then weld it shut.

also, seeing how you have removed all the air injection piping, you may want to run a shorter belt and by-pass the air pump, or simply remove the air pump all together.

Page 3 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 70 71 >

Who's Online
9 registered (Dmblanch, 124neta, Bellwestern80, ColescottFTW, larrys, 2 invisible), 91 Guests and 279 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 223
a_d_a_m 78
Old_Guy_Stu 64
DudeAbides 60
av8or1 58
ClayBelt 46
Davidzq 41
RF_Overlord 39
Moby_Vic 33
BlackNFast 32
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!