Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#1874602 - 10/03/09 12:27 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Nigel87]
Turbo301 Offline

There sure is some awesome '70s iron on here!

Shown below is my '77 Cougar XR7. It is finished in light jade green (only offered by Ford from '77-'79) with dark jade top/interior, which was the exact same combo as on my uncle's long-gone '78. Unfortunately, unlike his, mine has almost no options: deluxe bumper group, bodyside mouldings, AM/FM stereo, dual sport mirrors with RH remote, and that's pretty much it. The base 302 still runs strong (that should be in quotes, as 134 hp isn't really "strong" in a car like this LOL). It has newer paint but original interior and exterior trim.

When I bought the car the XR7 trunk emblem had fallen off and was very faded, but luckily wasn't cracked or discoloured. I cleaned it off (with oven cleaner, works great!), repaintd it and re-installed it, and I think the results are pretty nice (see last pic).

I love the base wheel covers; not only are they not common on these Cougars, but the fact that Ford used the same basic disc from '71 on T-birds up through the '80s on Grand Marquis is a fun reminder of how car companies saved money :).

2004 CV LX fleet special
"Like beer, you can only rent it"

#1879142 - 10/09/09 01:30 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Turbo301]
JRD281 Offline
Climber

Loc: Ohioville, PA
NICE!! Jade interiors are awesome...I am in the process of restoring mine now. There aren't many of the '77-'79 midsize cars left these days. Yours really IS the plainest XR7 I have ever seen...it even has manual air vents. Check out my '79 T-Bird on page 7 of this same thread. Mine had a few options..most of which have been removed in the past 25 years.

3.55 Trac Lok, K&N FIPK, '99 PCM & MAF, Champion 7963 plugs, GMS upper plenum & 1/2" spacer, Gatorback belt, Pioneer head unit & speakers, center console, rear bumper tuck, AeroForce Scangauge, Wagner Xenon Headlight bulbs, Steeda Underdrives, GPS, WeatherTech visors, All synthetic fluids...

AND a 1999 Wedgewood Blue P71
124,000 miles
Completely Stock
"Wife's Car"

#1879417 - 10/09/09 12:48 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: JRD281]
Turbo301 Offline

Yeah, green is a tricky colour to make look good on an interior, but Ford hit it just right, I think. I've never seen it paired with another exterior combo besides the light jade/dark jade roof, but I'm assuming you could also get it with black and white, at least?

Your T-bird (the green one with the hood scoop, right?) is the most aggressive I've ever seen these cars be! It gives us a very good look at what Ford could have offered in the way of mid-sized muscle if it had stuck with the concept. Nicely done!

My Cougar is the first car I've ever had that has the manual air vents, and let me tell ya, I think they're the greatest thing! My '80 Trans Am has A/C, and its "vent" setting is useless... for that matter, so is the one in my CV, my relatives' Mazdas, pretty much any car that has A/C. The air is much cooler and much more forceful with the manual vents. Obviously, working A/C is cooler, but still not as forceful. I'd gladly trade the heavy A/C equipment in my T/A for manual vents! Same goes with manual windows over power windows. Let's face it, the older a car gets, the more equipment goes wrong with it, and the harder it is to fix/find replacement parts. Keep it simple, that's what I say!

2004 CV LX fleet special

#1882157 - 10/12/09 10:28 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Turbo301]
JRD281 Offline
Climber

You could get jade with a few colors. A friend of mine had a '77 T-bird that was green with a white top and a two-tone jade/white interior..kinda like the Mach one style with green carpet and dash with white seats and door panels.

I have also seen a few that were white with a green top. I needed a new dash pad for my car during restoration, and green is a real bear to find. I got lucky and found a NOS green dash pad still in the Ford box from 1978 for $200. I also have a couple extra armrests and door panels. I buy any jade interior parts I can find because mine are old and brittle and that color is so rare.

I also have a burgundy '79 Thunderbird Heritage (loaded with every option) that is pretty much all original with 73k on it...that's my next project. Luckily all the power crap still works..minus the door lock actuators.

3.55 Trac Lok, K&N FIPK, '99 PCM & MAF, Champion 7963 plugs, GMS upper plenum & 1/2" spacer, Gatorback belt, Pioneer head unit & speakers, center console, rear bumper tuck, AeroForce Scangauge, Wagner Xenon Headlight bulbs, Steeda Underdrives, GPS, WeatherTech visors, All synthetic fluids...

124,000 miles
Completely Stock
"Wife's Car"

#1882590 - 10/13/09 12:52 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: JRD281]
Turbo301 Offline

I really like the coloured carpet/dash and white seats combination. You could get that on Firebirds in the '70s, too, and it is very smart.

I've seen a light jade '79 XR7 with a white roof, but never saw the interior. It creates an entirely different vibe from the same colour with a dark green top.

Good score on the dash pad, that's a very good deal!

There's a very good condition Heritage T-bird that is a regular at our local cruise nights (I think it's for sale, even, although as I recall he wants too much for it). They're nice cars with lots of attention to detail, the kind that no automaker would apply now! Things like colour-matched wheel paint, bumper rub strips, the full vinyl rear roof covering, etc.

2004 CV LX fleet special

#1886019 - 10/17/09 03:33 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Turbo301]
JRD281 Offline
Climber

Well, I have talked about it but never posted pics, so I figured now was a good time to do so. I have a 1979 Thunderbird Heritage with 73k miles on it. Pretty much original. 351M, FMX trans, 9" rear with a 2.75 open. It was re-painted back in the '80s but that's about all that was done to it. Here's a little history on the car...it was bought new by a man from Germany (for around $12,000 in 1978) and shipped over there. It spent 6 years or so in Germany and then came back over here and was sold to someone else. The second owner had it for about 5 years and sold it to a lady I know. She drove it from 1990 till around 1995 and then parked it in the garage. I think she got it out and drove it around the block a few times but for the past 13 years it just sat. Luckily by the time I bought it, it was still preserved really well. It is in deperate need of an engine (351M's sucked from the factory) because it looses oil pressure when it warms up. I have a 400 that is going in. It has every power option EXCEPT a moonroof. Everything works but the power locks. Not bad for a musty old car that has been sitting for that long. It's almost rust free...except for 2 small spots at the bottom of the fenders. For now, it's just sitting in my yard until I get the time/money to restore it. It wouldn't look too bad the way it is if I actually cleaned it up a bit. I hope to fix this car up for my wife so we can have "his" and "hers" '79 T-Birds for the shows...one plain and fast, the other fancy and slow. Anyway, her are some pics of the car...the way I drug it out of the garage...13 years worth of dust and mold and other crap...

124,000 miles
Completely Stock
"Wife's Car"

#1888433 - 10/20/09 12:43 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: JRD281]
Turbo301 Offline

That's a nice Hertiage T-bird! The wide whites look great on there, too (and are hard to get from anything but a specialty outlet now!). It's definitely a car worth saving.

2004 CV LX fleet special

#1888695 - 10/20/09 07:05 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Turbo301]
JRD281 Offline
Climber

Thank You! I thought about selling it because I don't have the time or money to restore it...but I decided to keep it until I DO have the time and money to do it. I may be 60 years old by then, but as long as I keep preserving the car, it should be fine. I have seen these cars go for BIG money at auction and stuff in really good shape...like $20,000-$35,000. Let's just say I bought this car for a little more than what I paid for my NOS dash pad on the green car and it has potential of being a really nice car someday. Until then, I am not even cleaning the dust and dirt off of it. It is probably protecting the remainder of the car.

124,000 miles
Completely Stock
"Wife's Car"

#1890273 - 10/22/09 12:34 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: JRD281]
Turbo301 Offline

LOL! That is an amazing deal, if it was only slightly more than your dash pad! Heck, even for 5X your dash pad, it appears to be a heck of a good deal.

The superb one at our local cruise nights (it has sunroof) is for sale for something like $10k (probably lower now), which I considered at the time to be over-priced. I can't even imagine anyone paying over $20k for even the best one in the world, unless it's at Barret-Jackson or something, where no one keeps their heads or pocket books where they should :). Still, there's no denying they'll be going up in value as older large cars are getting out of sight and, I'd like to think, more people become admirers of the nice touches automakers applied to cars of the disco era. You'll never see that kind of attention to detail again, out of cost or quality considerations if nothing else.

2004 CV LX fleet special

#1909907 - 11/13/09 06:39 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Turbo301]
rookies86vic Offline

Loc: Brantford, Ontrario
Those two cars bring me back to my 79 LTD II. It was a plain jane car man, manual vents, no air, no power options. I loved that car and would love another one. Not as good looking as the cougar or T bird but it sure had personality!!

1979 LTDII-- 8 years 2 motors gone to dry dock
1986 Crown vic-- Sold
1998 HPP-- 75k

#1923124 - 11/30/09 10:55 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: rookies86vic]
Aerobird88 Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
So many great cars in here. It is nice to see some other Thunderbirds from 77-79 in here as well. The '79 I posted earlier in this thread was sold last year to a really nice TBird collector in North Carolina. I keep in touch with him, and had been itching to get another TBird of this style. I recently ran across one in Roanoke, VA not far from where I live. The man that owned it had passed away and his son and wife were selling the TBirds that he had. This 1978 Diamond Jubilee was the last one left to sell. It has VERY high miles (220k) but still runs great and has been well cared for. It sat for 2 years before I bought it, so it has needed some TLC, but overall I am happy with it. I am trying to decide what to do with it overall - either work to restore it to its original condition, or work to restore it to a non-original (more performance oriented) condition. Given its age and the amount of non-stock modifications already done to it, right now I am leaning towards the latter. What do you guys think?

The heating and air conditioning system is where I am having my most trouble. The previous owner modified a lot of things, and the wiring is so different from the stock wiring diagrams it has me very confused. Part of me is tempted to just remove it all rather than try to repair it, but I don't want to do something hasty that I would regret later, especially since there is really very little performance value gained from an A/C delete on a car this big.

-Michael

#1923285 - 12/01/09 01:29 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Aerobird88]
JRD281 Offline
Climber

That thing looks amazing for having 220k on it. Get some center caps and some pin stripe and you're good to go. I am restoring my '79 Heritage to stock appearance, but upgrading a lot of things and getting rid of all the emissions stuff. These were good looking cars and I don't think they should be messed with a whole lot in the looks department if they are a special model such as the jubilee or heritage...my green '79 looks pretty badass in muscle car form. It's all open to what you think looks good and works well. Right now, I have both extremes...a plain jane, stripped '79 with a big block, and a heavily optioned '79 Heritage that is the slowest thing I have ever driven.

124,000 miles
Completely Stock
"Wife's Car"

#1923333 - 12/01/09 07:11 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: JRD281]
Aerobird88 Offline

Yes your green '79 is awesome. I love the wheels/tires. I don't plan on changing too much at all about the outside, although I was wondering if it were even possible to do a vinyl top delete. This vinyl top needs replacing, and I have some rust just starting to form along the top trim strip on the roof. I have no idea what it looks like underneath all that stuff. I know on some cars I have seen, when it was ordered with a vinyl top, they didn't bother smoothing weld points and other items like that and so the body looks pretty rough underneath.

How rare are the Diamond Jubilees/Heritage editions?

-Michael

#1923947 - 12/01/09 08:01 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: Aerobird88]
JRD281 Offline
Climber

You are right about the vinyl top cars not being finished underneath. My green car originally had a top, and when we took it off, it was ugly underneath. They just kinda slapped the vinyl overtop a partially finished roof. The seems were not smooth, and stuff like that. What I don't know is what is under the vinyl on the cars without the large quarter windows. I am assuming they are just sheet metal under there like the NASCAR T-Birds of the day, but I have never torn one apart to see.

I don't really know about the rarity of the Diamond Jubilee, but I do know they were around $11,000 in '78. The base model (like my green one) was less then $6,000. I can't imagine too many people bought them.

124,000 miles
Completely Stock
"Wife's Car"

#1924094 - 12/01/09 11:28 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here [Re: JRD281]
Aerobird88 Offline

I really don't care much for vinyl tops, but I am pretty sure you are correct. I am also not sure what is under the part where the rear quarter windows would be. It feels too weak to be sheet metal, but it would sure be nice if it were. I suppose even if it is unfinished, I could still remove the top and have some body work done to make it look nice. I will have to do some homework on that.

As far as the rarity of the Diamond Jubilee, the only numbers I have ever seen are on the following website:

1977-1979 Thunderbird Information

According to that site, 18,994 Diamond Jubilee Edition Tbirds were made for the '78 model year out of 352,752 total production. Apperently the 77-79 body style was one of the best selling of them all.

If this one were in better shape under the hood and on the inside, I believe I would be more apt to restore it to a stock condition. I plan on leaving the outside alone except for the vinyl top, but on the inside and under the hood anything is game. The A/C system wiring is incredibly screwed up. I have wires melted all over the place behind the dash and nothing seems to work - not even the blower motor. I am seriously considering just removing most of it and installing a small heater setup in there for the winter. None of my other cars have A/C anyway. I haven't done it yet though, just trying to think it all through before I go tearing something off I will regret later.

A windshield leak has caused the carpet on the drivers side to be wet for quite some time, and it is basically ruined. I removed it, but I think I am going to repair the leak and order new carpet at some point.

The other thing I found in working on the A/C system, trying to replace the blower motor which I thought was bad, was that at some point before I bought it some mice thought the evaporator box would make a nice home. The entire blower motor housing and evaporator housing was filled with stuffing and nasty mouse poo. No wonder the car smelled! And I thought it was just old people smell LOL. Here is a picture looking at the passenger side floorboard with the blower motor housing removed. You can see the evaporator box filled to the brim!

The more I cleaned, the more dampness/mouse mess I found with the carpet, so I eventually gave up and ripped it out. The floor pans and seat braces are in impressively good shape. The car overall is solid as a rock. No rust at all.

Anyways, I know I have written a novel here. These cars are a lot of fun. I have had several Crown Vics and loved them all, and these TBirds are a blast as well. They just don't build them like this anymore!

-Michael

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
3 registered (TheCableGuy, SlimOne, 1 invisible), 75 Guests and 127 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 108
JeffBoudah 74
Moby_Vic 73
Old_Guy_Stu 70
Armada Master 54
a_d_a_m 52
DudeAbides 50
Dmblanch 47
Ponyguy 43
SocalSam 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!