Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14 >
Topic Options
#94250 - 03/13/03 04:55 PM Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

Loc: Cheese Land
Post pics and a short description of your 70's Ford motor company product. Looking for cars you own personaly or used to own- not random pics found on the internet.

They don't make 'em like they used to..

Interested in a REAL Full-Size car? Try The Classics Forum

#94251 - 03/13/03 05:15 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

Let's get this thing started

Many of you have seen her already- My 1977 Mercury Marquis Brougham. I've had it for about 3 years now, during most of which it was my only car. I know it's old but it's VERY reliable. The only time it ever left me sitting was once when a heater hose blew.... really only delayed me. Water got into the ignition and killed it, I coasted off the interstate, up an exit ramp, down a road and into the parking lot of a gas station. Bypassed the heater, dried off the distributor with a napkin, filled the radiator, and I was on my way again.
This car has been with me during my best and worst moments and never let me down. You'll get me to part with it only by prying the wheel from my cold dead hands!

#94252 - 03/14/03 07:51 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here
BoxMan Offline
Grand Poobah

Loc: Millville, PA
Well, I used to have a '79 Lincoln Continental Town Car. I don't have any pics of it, but the one I attached is what she looked like.

The day after I got it I took it out for a ride, but I wasn't supposed to be driving it...Anyway, I stopped in at work for somthin, went to go home...won't start. Starter died. So, I waited for my dad to get off work and come up and he called AAA and had it towed. Man that was a sight! That car almost had the tow truck doing a wheelie! It was an old chevy...I tell ya, if the car weighed any more, those front wheels woulda been off the ground. I had it weighed once, 4,950 pounds, without me! Nothin in the trunk either, and about a 1/4 tank of gas.

I wanted to restore it, but I found out it was beyond what I could afford. Man that car was shot, but the interior was immaculant!

It needed tierods, axle seal was leakin, needed brakes, etc. The headlight doors worked tho! The biggest problem was rust. The fender behind the front wheels on both sides was gone, big holes. Had some quarter panel rust too. Biggest thing was the body seams were splittin in back. You took the carpet outta the trunk and you could see daylight

So, I sold it. Lost 150 bucks or whatever, but oh well. I still have a set of keys to it

Attachments
196276-79TC.jpg (1169 downloads)

#94253 - 03/14/03 11:59 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product here
rea98d Offline
Over the Hill

Only pic I have of mine is in the sig, so you've all seen Adri, but I'll give you a little background about her. My grandmother bought her brand new in '78, paid nearly $10,000 for her, and swore she'd never pay that much for a car again! (My how times have changed!) First car I ever rode in. 400 CID V-8 engine. My grandmother gave me the car on my 16th birthday, and it took me through high school and my first year of college. I was putting over 600 miles a week on her at one point, driving home every weekend when my grandfather was sick. The car went through gas faster than George Jones went through whiskey, but she always got me where I was going. The summer after my freshman year, I put her in reverse, and there was a long pause before she went into gear. The pause got longer and longer until she wouldn't go into reverse at all, and then she quit shifting out of 1st in drive. The transmission was going out, and I haven't had to money to fix her yet. But, I'm like Cowman. You'll pry the old girl out of my cold, dead fingers. I love that car. I just have to find time to get a transmission put in her, and she'll be on the road again. Then I can start my "rolling restoration" of her.

#94254 - 04/07/03 09:23 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
nakedfrog Offline
Stranger

Just posted most of this in the newbie area, but for those of you who don't frequent there...
my 77 Grand Marquis with a 460.

Edited by nakedfrog (04/07/03 09:33 PM)

#94255 - 04/07/03 09:45 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
rea98d Offline
Over the Hill

Sweet! Cowman, we've got another barge body here!

You guys with your 460-powered '77's are making me feel almost modern with my 400-powered '78!

Except for that little spot on the door I'll pretend I didn't see, it's a great looking car (better than mine!) Who's the cute little kid posing with the car?

#94256 - 04/07/03 10:04 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
nakedfrog Offline
Stranger

That's my little girl
She loves riding in my car, but doesn't get to very often since we usually take our other car on account of it getting vastly better mileage.
Now if I can just get some fender skirts like you've got, I'll be even happier.

#94258 - 04/09/03 10:27 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

sweet another barge. Now, if the rest of you would just go out and buy one we'd be able to have some barge meets or something

#94259 - 04/10/03 03:35 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
Kinger87 Offline

Poobah

Loc: Gladstone MI
Barge meets!

2003 Grand marquis all stock

#94260 - 04/11/03 05:37 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
RedWagon630 Offline
Over the Hill

Suggest start a new Car Club; BargeLTD.net, for 71-78 Big Fords. There are already clubs for 60's Biggies, the 70's need one.

#94261 - 04/11/03 06:39 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

In reply to:

Suggest start a new Car Club; BargeLTD.net, for 71-78 Big Fords. There are already clubs for 60's Biggies, the 70's need one.

I like the idea but we can barely keep this forum active. Where would we find enough ineterested members to keep it going?

#94262 - 04/13/03 04:54 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
rea98d Offline
Over the Hill

Count me in favor. Surely, there's enough people in the world who appreciate such a fine American motorcar that we can at least keep a small club going! We could start the club up now, with those of us on CVN who have such cars as "Charter Members," and worry about expansion later on. We could write up tech articles on the 351M/400 and 429/460 engines, (such as how to tune up 30 year old distributors and carburetors, how to build these engines for decent horsepower instead of being detuned smog motors), maybe some advice on keeping old cars rolling on duck tape and happy thoughts...

There's potential here. I nominate Cowman as our first President.

#94263 - 04/14/03 04:59 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
RedWagon630 Offline
Over the Hill

There are LTD clubs on the net, but they are more for nostolgia buffs, then car fans.

Also, if you don't like Marquis, why not call it a Park Lane?

#94264 - 04/14/03 10:15 PM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
rea98d Offline
Over the Hill

I was just in a really silly mood that day, LTD was the first thing I could think of, and I've been too lazy to change it back.

Any links to these "Nostalgia buff" webistes?

#94265 - 04/15/03 02:45 AM Re: Post your 70's Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Product he
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

What would be really nice is if we found some sources of parts for the things. The various motor/tranny combinations are not too hard to find stuff for since they were widely used but stuff like interior parts, and exterior trim, and so on are not going to be as easy to locate(and btw if somone has any of those interior parts or trim let me know, I'm gonna be in need of some )

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14 >

Moderator:  RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
9 registered (bigdaddyd, 07LandYacht, Bellwestern80, a_d_a_m, Davidzq, Icefan), 71 Guests and 134 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 109
Moby_Vic 74
JeffBoudah 74
Old_Guy_Stu 71
Armada Master 54
a_d_a_m 52
DudeAbides 50
Dmblanch 46
Ponyguy 43
SocalSam 40
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!